Author Topic: Chest and Back Day  (Read 1740 times)

SunnyB

• Getbig I
Chest and Back Day
« on: March 23, 2006, 08:06:01 PM »
Hello is it good to do these, as a shock of course.  If so can I have some feedback on how it went and what exercises you used in the routine.  Is it better to use compounds.  Sample routine if possible.  Thanks

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
Re: Chest and Back Day
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 08:30:28 PM »
push/ pull method is good, not something i typically do ALL the time, but is very effective to shock your system especially if you dont do it often. i usually alternate when doing chest/ back:

flat bench press 4 sets
seated cable row 3 sets
incline dumbbell press 3 sets
close grip lat pull downs 3 sets
flat fly 2 sets
weighted wide grip pull ups 3 sets
incline fly 2 sets
back extensions 2 sets

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 09:48:54 PM »
SunnyB,

Back when I was younger (a number of years ago), the routine that worked the best for me (especially for size) was similar to what wes mantooth described, however I did the following:

Series-1
Flat BB bench press 5 sets working up in weight each set-6 to 10 reps super set with
5 sets of wide grip chins to the front
Rest a minute or two or until you are ready between each set of bench press and each set of chin-up
For instance warm up BB bench press 135 x 10, rest a minute then perform a wide grip chin with body weight for 10 reps (perfect form). When or if you can do five sets of 10 on the chins then add weight

Series-2
Incline DD press 5 sets working up in weight each set-8 to 10 reps super set with
5 sets of cable pulley rows working up in weight each set for 8 to 10 reps
Again rest a minute or two or until you are ready between each set of DD incline press and each set of rows

Series-3
Flat or slightly inclined DD flys 4 sets x 8 to 10 reps super set with
T-bar rows 4 sets x 8-10 reps
Rest a minute or two or until you are ready between each set of flys and each set of rows

I liked to finish of with two sets of dips for 10 to 12 reps

Do not rush between each chest and back exercise. This routine worked great for me. Try it for a month and see if it works for you.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 05:10:48 PM »
Arnold, Franco and a third training partner (partners changed a lot for those guy's I've been told) used to SS BP's with BB rows as a staple of their upper body workouts. Soon as one finished a set another guy jumped in and did his, etc, etc,. Sets were at a fast pace.

I've done dips SS'ed with chins with very good results, using GVT (10X10's) for 6 to 8 week cycles. Gets the whole upper body growing fairly quickly. Did that usually twice a week but some times three times a week. This can also affect the biceps & triceps strongly. Good Luck.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 05:23:26 PM »
Arnold, Franco and a third training partner (partners changed a lot for those guy's I've been told) used to SS BP's with BB rows as a staple of their upper body workouts. Soon as one finished a set another guy jumped in and did his, etc, etc,. Sets were at a fast pace.

I've done dips SS'ed with chins with very good results, using GVT (10X10's) for 6 to 8 week cycles. Gets the whole upper body growing fairly quickly. Did that usually twice a week but some times three times a week. This can also affect the biceps & triceps strongly. Good Luck.

quit with the gvt already !

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 06:08:40 PM »
whats wrong with GVT's?
 5 x 5 : strength as 10 x 10 : hypertrophy
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 06:14:19 PM »
In fact, JPM, what would you think of a GVT routine as  I finish off my current 5 x 5 routine?  :)
follow the arrows

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 06:41:15 PM »
Haider: Just finished my pizza (I'm eating clean..I just cleaned off my plate)) and Rolling Rock's and I'm about to leave for good times. Before  going out the door let me  suggest that GVT may be ideal after a 5X5 cycle, which I assume was extra heavy. GVT, amoung other things, let's the joint rest awhile. Usually, but not always, I'll do GVT after a heavy 6-8 week cycle of power rack, partials & lock out training. Goods Luck.

Geo: I though you died or something. You must be at those loney people, hungrey for attention  sites on Get Big. Best of luck big guy.