Author Topic: 70's Bodybuilding Diet  (Read 15722 times)

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
Re: 70's Bodybuilding Diet
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2016, 07:30:11 PM »
squats when you go on low carb are you still able to do cardio ?

its been quite awhile since i did low carb     but i didnt do cardio then.

I do low intensity on an inclined treadmill.
S

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2016, 07:40:49 PM »
Is it outside the 7 year warranty?

Yep.  I called them and they could send me the replacement part for the engine for ~ 100 or so
I just haven't bothered since I rarely make shakes anymore and my cheap blender works fine for that when I do.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2016, 08:06:45 PM »
The workouts don't suffer when you are on anabolics.  That's why it worked for those guys in the 70's.  

Arnold and lots of other guys at Gold's would routinely stuff themselves with a carb load day over the weekend... usually at the "House of Pies" bakery.

We used to call it "pinocha pies"  ;D

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2016, 08:54:53 PM »
Carbs are for kids and chicks.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2016, 04:14:36 AM »
Why did you stop, then?

Thanks for the info, btw.

Because I like to experiment. I did keto for a year, now I wanna see how my body will change on a carb-based diet. If it goes to shit, I'll revert back to keto.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2016, 04:18:20 AM »
You should try Bullet proof coffee,  you add grass fed butter, coconut oil,  and if you want mct oil to your coffee. .you can blend it to make sort of like a latte..gives you added fat (energy)
This is something I never understood... Putting butter into coffee. I've tried coconut oil in coffee and didn't like it either, even though I love coconut oil with other things. I like coffee black with some stevia. An odd time I'll add some unsw cashew milk or something. I'd save the fats for when I eat. I found that drinking calories always makes me go over my caloric intake and makes me hungrier, even if they're fat calories.

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2016, 04:22:42 AM »
Yes I do. Sometines PB but mainly meat of various kinds and eggs. Sure you will get a temporary fullness from eating carbs and yes I do have my guys do a cheat day or meal once a week to restore glycogen and spike the metabo.

My original plan was to not have any cheat meals/days at all. But about 6 weeks in I had an event I had to attend, and the food there was not very "keto friendly" and it was a whole day thing. So I ended up eating carbs that day. What I found interesting is I'd have carb hangovers the next day. Training went to shit, endurance dropped, just felt like crap. Could sleep all day no problem, just like if I went out drinking the night before. So the only "cheats" I did have were when I had somewhere to go where I couldn't stick to the diet. And man, did I pay for it the next day...

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2016, 04:53:42 AM »
My original plan was to not have any cheat meals/days at all. But about 6 weeks in I had an event I had to attend, and the food there was not very "keto friendly" and it was a whole day thing. So I ended up eating carbs that day. What I found interesting is I'd have carb hangovers the next day. Training went to shit, endurance dropped, just felt like crap. Could sleep all day no problem, just like if I went out drinking the night before. So the only "cheats" I did have were when I had somewhere to go where I couldn't stick to the diet. And man, did I pay for it the next day...

Did you monitor calories, eat to satiety when doing keto, reduce calories over time?

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2016, 05:09:10 AM »
Did you monitor calories, eat to satiety when doing keto, reduce calories over time?

See:

No direct carbs on keto, I'm doing intra carbs now that I switched to a carb-based diet. The only "carbs" I got on keto came from broccoli, spinach, romaine lettuce, etc...
I calculated I need about 2500 calories to cut from where I started, and I just calculated protein to be about 185g (I actually started with 170g) and fats to be about 195g (actual number ended up being about 180g at the beginning). Then as I went along, I lowered calories every 2 weeks until I got to about 1900 (same macro ratios), then just kind of maintained at 2000 - 2100.
My food would consist of red meat, pork, salmon, mackerel, chicken thigh. For snacks I had macadamia nuts (got kind of addicted to those...), walnuts, brazil nuts, coconut oil, x-virgin olive oil, etc... Veggies all came from leafy greens. I weighed everything out for the first couple months, then I was able to eyeball stuff and rarely used my food scale. I actually did very well, mentally, on this diet. I guess I'm just one of those people who does well on fat-based diets.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2016, 06:28:49 AM »
Because I like to experiment. I did keto for a year, now I wanna see how my body will change on a carb-based diet. If it goes to shit, I'll revert back to keto.

It won't go to shit

I don't get HOW people who eat clean get "food-phobic" when they're eating clean

btw- I'm not implying that you are "food-phobic"....I will say though that a lot of people (who eat clean mind you) get weird about stuff like oatmeal, brown rice and sweet potatoes

wtf is wrong with people

EDIT: btw- keto is great and actually very feasible...it's not a choir that alot of people make it out to be BUT (and I'm no Chris Aceto or anything) nobody got fat eating CLEAN carbs if they were working out and their overall calorie intake was in check

I'm only point this out because I don't want young men to read this thread and start thinking "CARBS BAD"....NO--don't think that way...and also, don't go thinking that the only people who get shredded while eating carbs are only doing so because they shoot 200mgs of tren a day......STOP THINKING LIKE THAT

WannaBePro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 06:45:52 AM »
It won't go to shit

I don't get HOW people who eat clean get "food-phobic" when they're eating clean

btw- I'm not implying that you are "food-phobic"....I will say though that a lot of people (who eat clean mind you) get weird about stuff like oatmeal, brown rice and sweet potatoes

wtf is wrong with people

EDIT: btw- keto is great and actually very feasible...it's not a choir that alot of people make it out to be BUT (and I'm no Chris Aceto or anything) nobody got fat eating CLEAN carbs if they were working out and their overall calorie intake was in check

I'm only point this out because I don't want young men to read this thread and start thinking "CARBS BAD"....NO--don't think that way...and also, don't go thinking that the only people who get shredded while eating carbs are only doing so because they shoot 200mgs of tren a day......STOP THINKING LIKE THAT

I'm sure I'll be able to cut with carbs just fine. No fear there. I'm just saying that I KNOW keto has worked in the past, and if anything, I can always go back to that and expect similar results as last time.
You're right about cutting with or without carbs, and its not like carbs are the devil haha. You just have to know what you're doing. Of course if you go over your caloric needs with fats OR with carbs you WILL accrue fat, no way around it. However, what I find is when I eat keto, I am way less hungry when in a caloric deficit. Right now I feel hungry between meals, but on keto I'd go 3 or 4 hours without even thinking about food. Maybe its an adjustment period, I'm not sure, but I'll keep going and see how things end up.

According to Shelby Starnes, everyone is either "carb sensitive" or "fat sensitive," as in some do better with carbs in their diet some do better with fats. And you just have to find out which one is best for you. Shelby, himself, said he does well on a low carb/high fat diet. He's done preps with high carbs/low fats and said he felt like death and was extremely unhealthy. But then he went on to say that a lot of his clients do better on a carb-based diet or a carb cycling diet just because their bodies seem to tolerate them better than fats. He's got an interesting point of view, and with the hundreds of clients he's worked with, its worth listening to someone like him talk nutrition and bio-variability between people.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2016, 06:48:45 AM »
you're points are all well taken and also I didn't imply that you were food phobic

I think (actually, I know) that I've become a major advocate for what's known as "flexible dieting"

basically, as long as I'm eating clean (which includes the allotment of one (and sometimes in rare cases two) "free meal(s)"  a week) then it doesn't matter what my methodology is

then again, I live a very active lifestyle and i'm also satisfied with being in that 10 percent Bodyfat range

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2016, 06:51:38 AM »
I'm in the JNN philosophy camp when it comes to diet.

I do want to try the paleo, keto thing (just to try it) etc...but I'm sure if it will help while I'm doing a strength routine like the Wendler one I'm doing now?

Do you just fight through the "adjustment" period and you're fine?
Y

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2016, 06:59:57 AM »

Do you just fight through the "adjustment" period and you're fine?

first off- if you haven't downloaded the "MyFitnessPal" app then you DEFINITELY should....

the diary is awesome and just makes eating clean much more flexible/easier

second (and I don't know if you were asking me) in terms of adjusting, I would just start off my day eating keto or paleo and try and do the whole day in that mode...HOWEVER- if at night you absolutely need carbs then just  eat a normal, clean meal with a cup of brown rice or something..

if you're listening to your body and eating clean and training hard then there is no bad that can be done

btw----coffee and nuts are your friend during paleo/keto

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2016, 07:05:53 AM »
you're points are all well taken and also I didn't imply that you were food phobic

I think (actually, I know) that I've become a major advocate for what's known as "flexible dieting"

basically, as long as I'm eating clean (aside from one "free meal" a week) then it doesn't matter what my methodology is

then again, I live a very active lifestyle and i'm also satisfied with being in that 10 percent Bodyfat range

That's exactly why Weight Watchers is the most successful diet in history. Eat whatever you want, maintain calories. It's also why "Flexible Dieting" could potentially destroy the billion dollar weight loss industry. As a society, if we weren't so instant result oriented we wouldn't need 90% of the shit that's out there.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2016, 07:32:48 AM »

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2016, 07:44:46 AM »
This is something I never understood... Putting butter into coffee. I've tried coconut oil in coffee and didn't like it either, even though I love coconut oil with other things. I like coffee black with some stevia. An odd time I'll add some unsw cashew milk or something. I'd save the fats for when I eat. I found that drinking calories always makes me go over my caloric intake and makes me hungrier, even if they're fat calories.

hey wanna be pro when you went real  low carb did you lose water alot easier on the low  carbs  .   

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
^^
TRY 2 tablespoons whipping cream (heavy cream) in your coffee- VERY low-carb, and it just works!!!!  Tastes like you used milk (which is too high-carb).

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2016, 08:05:57 AM »
scott alexander does very low carb  and he is lean as shit

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2016, 08:47:28 AM »
I'm pretty lean considering I'm an old man. Diet is is just no complex carbs after lunch. I don't count macros whatsoever. Lots of fruit and vegetables and moderate protein intake. Currently on an 8 week eca cycle which ends in a few days. I'm a caffeine addict anyways.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »
I'm pretty lean considering I'm an old man. Diet is is just no complex carbs after lunch. I don't count macros whatsoever. Lots of fruit and vegetables and moderate protein intake. Currently on an 8 week eca cycle which ends in a few days. I'm a caffeine addict anyways.

how old r u? look sexy as fuck man. ive never had my abs look like that. Has eca done anything for you? didnt do much for me

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »
how old r u? look sexy as fuck man. ive never had my abs look like that. Has eca done anything for you? didnt do much for me

I turned 48 in Feb. I like caffeine so I added ephedrine for an extra boost. No aspirin. Seems to be effective. It's the only supp I think actually works in my case.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2016, 11:06:36 AM »
I turned 48 in Feb. I like caffeine so I added ephedrine for an extra boost. No aspirin. Seems to be effective. It's the only supp I think actually works in my case.
Fook, you are about my age......could have guessed by username, I'm a fellow metalhead from 80s/90s....

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2016, 11:10:42 AM »
first off- if you haven't downloaded the "MyFitnessPal" app then you DEFINITELY should....

the diary is awesome and just makes eating clean much more flexible/easier

second (and I don't know if you were asking me) in terms of adjusting, I would just start off my day eating keto or paleo and try and do the whole day in that mode...HOWEVER- if at night you absolutely need carbs then just  eat a normal, clean meal with a cup of brown rice or something..

if you're listening to your body and eating clean and training hard then there is no bad that can be done

btw----coffee and nuts are your friend during paleo/keto

Played with that app, but I'm realistic enough to know that I won't track my food.   I just suck at that type of maintenance.

I've give your method a shot in a few weeks.   Need to food shop appropriately.   Paleo likely, not going full keto.
Y