Author Topic: 25 YEARS AGO TODAY...The GOP's nominee hosted THE best bodybuilding show EVER!  (Read 5020 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
At least in my humble opinion!!  ;D

The silver anniversary of the first World Bodybuilding Federation Championship.

"The Flexing Dutchman" Berry DeMey

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Eventual WBF Champion, Gary Strydom

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
I hope you're trolling

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I hope you're trolling

I never troll.

It was June 15, 1991 when this show went down at the Trump Taj Mahal.

The recap occurred a week after the championship, on WWF Superstars and Wrestling Challenge.

At the time, it was revolutionary (to me, at least). Imagine only having to wait a week to see bodybuilding footage, instead of waiting MONTHS to see American Muscle. Plus, at the time I didn't have cable, so being able to see some bodybuilding footage was really cool.

This show was way ahead of its time. When I saw the 2015 Olympia with its "Titantrons" with training footage of the bodybuilders, I thought "WOW, they're doing what the WBF did 24 years ago".

Plus this was the first show that offered a six-figure prize for first place. Strydom walked away with $100,000 for this win.

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
It's hard to believe the IFBB beat anyone at anything.

How the "athletes" crave that "IFBB" pro status.

They certainly get nothing else from it.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
I never troll.

It was June 15, 1991 when this show went down at the Trump Taj Mahal.

The recap occurred a week after the championship, on WWF Superstars and Wrestling Challenge.

At the time, it was revolutionary (to me, at least). Imagine only having to wait a week to see bodybuilding footage, instead of waiting MONTHS to see American Muscle. Plus, at the time I didn't have cable, so being able to see some bodybuilding footage was really cool.

I still remember the 1991 NPC nationals on TV with Kevin, Flex and Ronnie. You say it right, those WWF events were shows, not true competitions :-\

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
It's hard to believe the IFBB beat anyone at anything.

How the "athletes" crave that "IFBB" pro status.

They certainly get nothing else from it.

Well, it helps when your competition has the feds breathing down their necks. Now how the WBF (via its being a sister company of the WWF under Titan Sports) got investigated for steroid distribution but the IFBB didn't I'll never know.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I still remember the 1991 NPC nationals on TV with Kevin, Flex and Ronnie. You say it right, those WWF events were shows, not true competitions :-\

How do you figure that? It had a prejudging. All the judges were retired pro bodybuilders, including former Mr. Olympia, Chris Dickerson (who just competed the previous year at the IFBB Arnold Classic). Dave Draper was head judge.

The night show was dubbed the "Entertainment" round, where the competitors could use as many props, lights, and dancing girls as McMahon's money could buy.

And what exactly makes the 1991 Nationals a "true competition" anyway, especially if the posing round isn't even judged?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
How do you figure that? It had a prejudging. All the judges were retired pro bodybuilders, including former Mr. Olympia, Chris Dickerson (who just competed the previous year at the IFBB Arnold Classic). Dave Draper was head judge.

The night show was dubbed the "Entertainment" round, where the competitors could use as many props, lights, and dancing girls as McMahon's money could buy.

And what exactly makes the 1991 Nationals a "true competition" anyway, especially if the posing round isn't even judged?

Because I believe that those WBF 'competitions' were set up. Yeah, it was rather 'entertainment' (depending on how you see it), horrible..

NPC events are highly competitive given the high number of competitors. Not sure if posing was judged or not back then.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Because I believe that those WBF 'competitions' were set up. Yeah, it was rather 'entertainment' (depending on how you see it), horrible..

NPC events are highly competitive given the high number of competitors. Not sure if posing was judged or not back then.

Are you implying that Strydom should have not walked out of Atlantic City with the $100K?

NPC Nationals are highly competitive, because they're trying to TURN PRO, to do what the WBF guys were doing (including 1989 NPC National Champion, Troy Zuccolotto, who made his pro debut in the WBF).

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Are you imply that Strydom should have not walked out of Atlantic City with the $100K?

No, he was the clear winner but that was a no-brainer in his case.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
No, he was the clear winner but that was a no-brainer in his case.

So, it's the other placings with which you take issue.

The other members of the top 5 that year were: Eddie Robinson, 5th; "The Future" Jim Quinn, 4th; "The Flexing Dutchman" Berry DeMey, 3rd; "The Iron Warrior" Mike Christian, 2nd.

How would you have placed them? Would you have replaced any of those guys with someone who didn't make the cut?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
So, it's the other placings with which you take issue.

The other members of the top 5 that year were: Eddie Robinson, 5th; "The Future" Jim Quinn, 4th; "The Flexing Dutchman" Berry DeMey, 3rd; "The Iron Warrior" Mike Christian, 2nd.

How would you have placed them? Would you have replaced any of those guys with someone who didn't make the cut?

LOL, at those nicknames. I haven't seen the comparisons, at least, not that I can remember, but Jim "wide waist" Quinn before Eddie?!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
LOL, at those nicknames. I haven't seen the comparisons, at least, not that I can remember, but Jim "wide waist" Quinn before Eddie?!

DeMey and Christian had those names before the WBF. McMahon just went overboard and gave nicknames to the other guys as well (except Strydom).

The WBF Championship video isn't on YouTube anymore (not 1991, at least). So, the only footage of the posedown is apparently from some gay guy who edited out any portion of the WBF bodybuilders with the BodyRocker dancing girls in it.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
STRYDOM one of the best ever from the front that year!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

A couple of years ago, I put up a thread, "What if....." pitting the 1991 WBF Champion Gary Strydom against 1991 Mr. Olympia, Lee Haney.

That would have been a sight to see.

I was hoping Haney might jump to the WBF after winning his 8th Sandow.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
If I recall correctly (and I think I do) tha WBF Championship event wasn't taken too seriously by anyone seriously interested in the world of muscle as a long term event

But wrestling was huge that year and the WBF BB contenders were most likely convinced that the WBF would offer better financial opportunities than the IFBB and continue to do so for the new dozen so years or as long as thay remained loyal to the WBF.

Many of the individuals who remained loyal to the IFBB at that time merely thought that those who entered these WBFevents were merely burning their bridges to the IFBB .... and still today there are many arguments and different opinions regarding that subject.

Gary was the obvious winner that year and I have yet to see or read anything that he has ever said regarding his WBF connection and future association with the IFBB.

Any help?

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
I would have placed Eddie Robinson first or second that year. unlike Gary, who STILL had a weak back, Eddie had virtually no weak points.

how he only got 5th is beyond me.
Flower Boy Ran Away

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
If I recall correctly (and I think I do) tha WBF Championship event wasn't taken too seriously by anyone seriously interested in the world of muscle as a long term event

But wrestling was huge that year and the WBF BB contenders were most likely convinced that the WBF would offer better financial opportunities than the IFBB and continue to do so for the new dozen so years or as long as thay remained loyal to the WBF.

Joe Weider took it seriously, DEADLY SERIOUSLY. That's when he started signing guys to lucrative contracts, especially after he lost the initial bidding war with Lou Ferrigno.

Top guys were jumping ship. Eddie Robinson said he made more money in one year with the WBF than he made in 4 years with Weider. That's why he stayed an extra 2 years with McMahon, after the WBF folded, to endorse ICOPRO. He was even still drug-tested. Apparently, McMahon made it worth his while to lay off the anabolics.

Many of the individuals who remained loyal to the IFBB at that time merely thought that those who entered these WBFevents were merely burning their bridges to the IFBB .... and still today there are many arguments and different opinions regarding that subject.

Gary was the obvious winner that year and I have yet to see or read anything that he has ever said regarding his WBF connection and future association with the IFBB.

Any help?

Rich Gaspari was mad because he almost signed with the WBF. He was offered $250,000 but reluctantly turned it down, thinking he still could be Mr. Olympia. He got especially hot when that lifetime ban from the IFBB was lifted and the WBF guys were allowed to compete in the IFBB. When Bob Chicherillo was on this forum, he claimed the WBF made him an offer.

Now why was the fine levied on Baker, Zuccolotto, and J.Quinn, considering they went straight to the WBF after their winning USA, Nationals, and North Americans, respectively?

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay

wasn't Gary fucking Strydom used to post here?......he was getting owned at some point and left?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I would have placed Eddie Robinson first or second that year. unlike Gary, who STILL had a weak back, Eddie had virtually no weak points.

how he only got 5th is beyond me.

I picked Robinson or Strydom to win it, but I was shocked a bit when Robinson got 5th. Looking at it now, DeMey had better shape (the sauna routine with the girls helped out, too). Mike Christian looked terrific, as well, the best he's ever looked.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever

wasn't Gary fucking Strydom used to post here?......he was getting owned at some point and left?

Nah that was Body1991.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
At least in my humble opinion!!  ;D

The silver anniversary of the first World Bodybuilding Federation Championship.

"The Flexing Dutchman" Berry DeMey

What a success story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Bodybuilding_Federation

If it was so fucking amazing, why only two shows?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
DeMey and Christian had those names before the WBF. McMahon just went overboard and gave nicknames to the other guys as well (except Strydom).

The WBF Championship video isn't on YouTube anymore (not 1991, at least). So, the only footage of the posedown is apparently from some gay guy who edited out any portion of the WBF bodybuilders with the BodyRocker dancing girls in it.

LOL @"Eating more than 10000 kcals close to the show"
The stage, lightning, smoke machines & creepy enthusiastic comments.... there's no business like schmoe business :D

Nirvana

• Getbig V
If Trump had mentioned his involvement in the bodybuilding industry I would have voted for him. We need a strong leader with a respectable upright row and who does preworkout before meeting other world leaders.