Author Topic: what is the cheapest way to eat and still get maximum gains?  (Read 12309 times)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: what is the cheapest way to eat and still get maximum gains?
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2016, 08:29:15 PM »
I still eat meat, but very sparingly. Best decision I ever made was switching my diet.

I don't eat as much of anything as I did just five years ago.  I am nearing 60 and while I will continue to train, I must do so within reason.  I do have a very fast metabolism and it has been this way all my life.  I've been told by doctors, "Just wait until you turn 18...21..25...30...40... 50".  My maternal grandfather had the same "problem" and was a rail until he passed away and that was with drinking up several 2,000+ calorie shakes (made by my mom) a day.

I eat until I am full, then I stop.  Until I am hungry again!    ;D

The only supplement I take is one of those pre-workout concoctions.  Either that or a Monster Energy Drink.  ;D

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 04:00:42 AM »
Did you stop living in your momma attic, and have to pay for your own food, at 38?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 07:56:22 AM »
But how much he do you spend on supplements per month?

$0.00
X

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »
Did you stop living in your momma attic, and have to pay for your own food, at 38?
i told her i'll move out at 50

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2016, 12:42:34 PM »
I live in NY, shop at shoprite. A typical bag of those greens is around $3 minimum, and they have like 40 total calories per bag, that's like living on air. Buying just a couple of those already is near or exceeds your initial $ daily allowance. And shoprite is like one of the cheaper stores.

For most adult males, that isn't a reasonable figure. I live in midtown nyc, too. SF1900 actually changed his diet in part because of things I said to him in a previous thread, but the truth is cutting down on meat and placing an emphasis on vegetables in your diet isn't going to save you a ton of money. To make filling meals, it's virtually a wash in terms of price and  it's far more time consuming. If he's saving money, it's not because he's on a veggie centric diet, it's because he's taking a very minimalist approach to eating that a lot of people would consider too restrictive. There are a LOT of benefits to cutting down on meat consumption, but saving money is not one of them. This really gets driven home if you have to eat out. There's a deli downstairs from our apartment where a tossed salad and a burger and fries with a free can of soda are the same price. With the exception of Indian places, most middlemarket places that have good vegetarian food are more expensive than places that serve meat entrees.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2016, 01:02:58 PM »
For most adult males, that isn't a reasonable figure. I live in midtown nyc, too. SF1900 actually changed his diet in part because of things I said to him in a previous thread, but the truth is cutting down on meat and placing an emphasis on vegetables in your diet isn't going to save you a ton of money. To make filling meals, it's virtually a wash in terms of price and  it's far more time consuming. If he's saving money, it's not because he's on a veggie centric diet, it's because he's taking a very minimalist approach to eating that a lot of people would consider too restrictive. There are a LOT of benefits to cutting down on meat consumption, but saving money is not one of them. This really gets driven home if you have to eat out. There's a deli downstairs from our apartment where a tossed salad and a burger and fries with a free can of soda are the same price. With the exception of Indian places, most middlemarket places that have good vegetarian food are more expensive than places that serve meat entrees.

I don't know why you keep saying this.  ??? ??? It's not true. But, hey, whatever makes you sleep better at night.  :D :D If you feel like you helped me, that is all that matters.

And, yes, a large part of my savings is more of a minimalist approach. I began to only buy food that I know I will eat and won't get bad and get thrown away. I don't eat six times per day any more. And I eat much smaller portions (I do not gorge myself any more).  And, Ive also been engaging in bouts of intermittent fasting.
X

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2016, 01:23:44 PM »
I don't know why you keep saying this.  ??? ??? It's not true. But, hey, whatever makes you sleep better at night.  :D :D If you feel like you helped me, that is all that matters.

In several threads, you have repeated the same semi-vegetarian talking points I directed at you less than 6 months . Sure, there were almost certainly other factors, but just the fact that you repeat so closely what I said makes it pretty clear that you took what I said to heart. Don't know why you're making this an issue.   ???

Also, what you eat has no effect on how I sleep at night.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2016, 01:27:16 PM »
In several threads, you have repeated the same semi-vegetarian talking points I directed at you less than 6 months . Sure, there were almost certainly other factors, but just the fact that you repeat so closely what I said makes it pretty clear that you took what I said to heart. Don't know why you're making this an issue.   ???

Also, what you eat has no effect on how I sleep at night.

No, actually, what I took to heart was receiving my blood work back and talking to my doctor and a nutritional expert. But, hey, whatever you want to tell yourself.  :D :D
X

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »
No, actually, what I took to heart was receiving my blood work back and talking to my doctor and a nutritional expert. But, hey, whatever you want to tell yourself.  :D :D

::) Aren't you like 30 and allegedly work out regularly? How could your blood work have been so bad that your doctor would recommend cutting out all food aside from 2 salads a day?  You've mentioned several reasons over the course of several threads  about why you switched to a veggie- centric diet. None of them were " doctor's orders". Many of them were things I've said to you in the recent past.

But, sure, whatever I need to tell myself.    ;)

ilalin

• Getbig IV
  • Боже правде
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2016, 01:50:41 PM »
A lot of research points to 1.3g protein/lb bw. (The Protein Book by Lyle Mcdonald). Also, it's been shown that the protein source does not matter.
Egg whites, tuna, chicken breast, low fat cottage cheese, red meat sometimes. Rice, brocolli, asparagus, esentially most of the veggies carry small amount of calories and will fill you up. 20mg of oxymetholone/day for 6 months, low amount of alcohol or other liver metabolized compounds and you're good to go.
Or 37.5mg tren eod for 6 months would be even better. Don't forget HCG, 250IU 2x/week to keep the boys in check. Pause every 6 weeks for 2 weeks off and 10mg tamoxifen/day during this period to resensitize testes to HCG.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2016, 02:16:21 PM »
::) Aren't you like 30 and allegedly work out regularly? How could your blood work have been so bad that your doctor would recommend cutting out all food aside from 2 salads a day?  You've mentioned several reasons over the course of several threads  about why you switched to a veggie- centric diet. None of them were " doctor's orders". Many of them were things I've said to you in the recent past.

But, sure, whatever I need to tell myself.    ;)

1. I tend not to discuss personal matters on Getbig, so why would I disclose my medical history? But for the sake of this discussion, I did, but I generally do not. Thus, why I did not initially mention it.
2. The only thing that was slightly elevated was my cholesterol, but I'm more on the anxious side, so I take things to extreme.
3. He did not recommend me only eating 2 salads a day. They provided me with a general framework to lower my cholesterol, and since I'm anxious, I just took it to the extreme.
4. All of my information and current diet came from reading peer-reviewed articles on this topic.

But, hey, whatever you have to tell yourself.  :D
X

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2016, 02:22:48 PM »
1. I tend not to discuss personal matters on Getbig, so why would I disclose my medical history? But for the sake of this discussion, I did, but I generally do not. Thus, why I did not initially mention it.
2. The only thing that was slightly elevated was my cholesterol, but I'm more on the anxious side, so I take things to extreme.
3. He did not recommend me only eating 2 salads a day. They provided me with a general framework to lower my cholesterol, and since I'm anxious, I just took it to the extreme.
4. All of my information and current diet came from reading peer-reviewed articles on this topic.

But, hey, whatever you have to tell yourself.  :D

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2016, 02:40:06 PM »

I agree. Produce is in general is not that cheap, plus it is low in calories and doesn't sustain. I would think with such a low budget, you're looking at beans and rice, canned fish, other dry grains, peanut butter, and cheap canned stuff.  and even that can easily creep up in price. You gotta eat.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »
You guys both got your information from me anyway so in reality I'm the mastermind behind all of this improved health......

Jizzacked

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2016, 05:17:45 PM »
Whole lotta peasants sweating chicken prices in this thread..

True getbiggers grow mass off unicorn steaks and great white shark Pâté

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2016, 05:41:12 PM »
I agree. Produce is in general is not that cheap, plus it is low in calories and doesn't sustain. I would think with such a low budget, you're looking at beans and rice, canned fish, other dry grains, peanut butter, and cheap canned stuff.  and even that can easily creep up in price. You gotta eat.

I think it's great whenever anyone does anything to benefit their health, but I think it's disingenuous to pretend you don't understand how other people would have higher grocery bills because you've been following an abnormally strict diet for a short period of time.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »
You guys both got your information from me anyway so in reality I'm the mastermind behind all of this improved health......

The thing is this isn't just me claiming to be the first person to follow a particular diet and anyone who does the same thing is copying me and should credit me. We actually conversed on the topic. He said that he considered becoming a vegetarian but it would be too hard. I told him to check out a particular vegetarian restaurant in NYC and that one option was to just do a more veggie-centric diet (which is what I do) because even that would have benefits. Then a few months later, he makes an about face and is repeating what I told him in different threads. I'm not saying I'm the only factor, but what he's been saying is so derivative of the things I said to him that it's impossible not to realize they're linked. To be honest, I get the defensiveness. We have a relationship that is sometimes contentious and I often point out when he's wrong about things, so I get that it would hurt his pride to admit I actually impacted his life off of the board...which was the entire reason I brought it up.  :D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2016, 07:04:05 PM »
Huge bowls of tuna,elbow macaroni and mayo.........Jeff King ate this all day off-season.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2016, 07:32:49 AM »
mcgriddle
"

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2016, 07:34:41 AM »
Huge bowls of tuna,elbow macaroni and mayo.........Jeff King ate this all day off-season.

Did he eat it cold? That actually sounds pretty good.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2016, 11:16:05 AM »
Whole lotta peasants sweating chicken prices in this thread..

True getbiggers grow mass off unicorn steaks and great white shark Pâté
the goal is to get as rich and jacked as possible

i was in the supermarket, wanted to buy an energy drink, saw it was 3 buy + 1 free, took 4

walked around the supermarket for 2 minutes thinking about the long term consequences of the purchase

left it in the shop and walked out without buying anything

it's tough being a penny pinching jew

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2016, 11:38:09 AM »
Grilled bacon + scrambled eggs for breakfast

Thick filling sandwiches with fruit and a 50 protein grams shake in milk for dinner

Large serving of Chicken breast with pasta or egg noodles for tea

An easy 300grams of protein a day and decent nice enjoyable food with not to much shite food, life is for living if bodybuilding isnt your career why exist on twatfull food or spend all day carrying about those Tupperware containers. Cheap too

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2016, 11:44:10 AM »
Grilled bacon + scrambled eggs for breakfast

Thick filling sandwiches with fruit and a 50 protein grams shake in milk for dinner

Large serving of Chicken breast with pasta or egg noodles for tea

An easy 300grams of protein a day and decent nice enjoyable food with not to much shite food, life is for living if bodybuilding isnt your career why exist on twatfull food or spend all day carrying about those Tupperware containers. Cheap too
hard to imagine that being 300 grams protein

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2016, 11:47:49 AM »
hard to imagine that being 300 grams protein
Obviously the portions are half decent

Half a pound of bacon and 6 large eggs got to be close to 100

50 grams whey in a pint of milk (16) plus 35 for sandwich

400g chicken (close to 100)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2016, 11:50:11 AM »
The answer to this thread question is MILK.
Low fat, half fat or whole, depending on how much fat you want to lose or gain.
Costs almost nothing.

This should end this thread....thank you all for participating and see you on the next thread.

Says Dr Dutch, MD and MSc in biology.....