Author Topic: Are box squats safe for Edomites?  (Read 12953 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: Are box squats safe for Edomites?
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 07:21:49 PM »
but why olympic weightlifters who are the best squatters never do box squat?

Olympic lifting is a sport in itself. It's not powerlifting.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 07:26:25 PM »
What kind of results are we talking about here?

Both strength and mass.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 07:33:31 PM »
Both strength and mass.

I see. So again, Louie Simmons has it wrong? In let's a field sport...we'll say football (or pick a sport) but for the sake of arguement we'll use football. Do you think speed, explosiveness, vert, standing broad jumps, plyos, etc is all quad?

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2016, 07:47:10 PM »
I see. So again, Louie Simmons has it wrong? In let's a field sport...we'll say football (or pick a sport) but for the sake of arguement we'll use football. Do you think speed, explosiveness, vert, standing broad jumps, plyos, etc is all quad?
[/quote

So you want to look like Louie Simmons? OK dude, my misunderstanding.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2016, 07:55:14 PM »
[/quote

So you want to look like Louie Simmons? OK dude, my misunderstanding.

You didn't answer my question. You said strength and mass. POWERlifting isn't strength. It's not the same.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2016, 07:59:45 PM »
You didn't answer my question. You said strength and mass. POWERlifting isn't strength. It's not the same.

I did answer the question. You just didn't like the answer.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »

You're talking about aesthetics, I'm taking about powerlifting and athletics. Now if I were regular squats for aesthetics then I would agree with you but saying box squats are totally useless is a bit naive.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2016, 08:14:28 PM »

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2016, 08:17:22 PM »
You're talking about aesthetics, I'm taking about powerlifting and athletics. Now if I were regular squats for aesthetics then I would agree with you but saying box squats are totally useless is a bit naive.

No, I'm right, box squats are worthless. Otherwise give an example of what they are good for.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »
No, I'm right, box squats are worthless. Otherwise give an example of what they are good for.

How many paragraphs or just examples would you like?

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2016, 08:29:41 PM »
How many paragraphs would you like?

Just one sentence will do! Obviously you have a situation, where if you can't baffle them with brilliance, then you'll bury them with bull shit!

Spell it out in a few words, or take a hike.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2016, 08:36:39 PM »
Edomites are the so called "Jewish" people. So called "White" people are Japhites.

And Shittites are the so-called "Original Hebroes".  HTH. ::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »
Just one sentence will do! Obviously you have a situation, where if you can't baffle them with brilliance, then you'll bury them with bull shit!

Oh no, you first. You obviously seem know. I mean, if you're going to be bitter about It wouldnt want Josh to read that I have an answer that I know and have him write a Yelp review...Lol. So....you first.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2016, 09:30:52 PM »
Oh no, you first. You obviously seem know. I mean, if you're going to be bitter about It wouldnt want Josh to read that I have an answer that I know and have him write a Yelp review...Lol. So....you first.

I already said it was worthless. Pay attention here.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »
I already said it was worthless. Pay attention here.

Done here. If you can't explain it then you don't know. I get it.

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2016, 10:01:18 PM »
Done here. If you can't explain it then you don't know. I get it.

It's scientifically impossible to prove a negative. If you can't prove that it works perfectly every time, then it's not science.

DanM

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2016, 10:29:50 PM »
Box squats popularity came, peaked and vanished with Louie Simmons. They so effectively complimented the geared/suited squat groove. Once that style fell out of favor and the conjugate hype train died down pretty much every elite level lifter has since dropped them. There are much better squat variations and ways to strengthen the posterior chain that don't need the degree of coaching that box squats do.

Simple Simon

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2016, 05:41:23 AM »
That's not a box squat. All you're is a touch and go that measures the depth of of your regular squat. A true box squat is when you actually sit, pelvic tilt then complete the movement.

and as a rational sensible man you cant see where that might be dangerous for your lower spinal discs
All that weight pressing down on the discs with almost zero muscular support from the hips and low back????

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2016, 06:18:23 AM »

In let's a field sport...we'll say football (or pick a sport) but for the sake of arguement we'll use football. Do you think speed, explosiveness, vert, standing broad jumps, plyos, etc is all quad?
Y

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2016, 07:00:12 AM »
Obviously you've never been an athlete or trained for strength.

Ohhh... you're so hardcore I can't stand it !

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2016, 07:01:03 AM »
Exactly.

They act like doing box squats replaces the regular squat, when it...........compliments the training.

How exactly?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2016, 07:08:31 AM »
Back in the 80's heyday, the very idea of squatting onto a bench was ridiculed and numerous muscle-mag "studies" purported to show the spinal compression that came from it (despite never explaining how upward pressure from the femur socket was different tban the pressure from a static platform) was debilitating.

So most of us got the idea that box squats were bad from the same place that gave us Weider principles, eating 8 times a day and drinking a gallon of milk a day.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »
Back in the 80's heyday, the very idea of squatting onto a bench was ridiculed and numerous muscle-mag "studies" purported to show the spinal compression that came from it (despite never explaining how upward pressure from the femur socket was different tban the pressure from a static platform) was debilitating.

So most of us got the idea that box squats were bad from the same place that gave us Weider principles, eating 8 times a day and drinking a gallon of milk a day.

I'm not saying that it causes injuries (although I cannot see how relaxing while a tremendous load on your back is a good thing), but no one has ever explained to me what the benefit is?  I would think the key to improving/increasing your squats, are normal squats, all the way down.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2016, 07:23:13 AM »
I'm not saying that it causes injuries (although I cannot see how relaxing while a tremendous load on your back is a good thing), but no one has ever explained to me what the benefit is?  I would think the key to improving/increasing your squats, are normal squats, all the way down.

Coach can do it better, but I think it teaches/helps your hips/butt to be able to fire out of the bottom position of a squat, and strengthens the entire posterior chain.

All I know is that I've added them over the last years, using a cambered squat bar after shoulder surgery, and that I saw a definite increase in my speed, jump, and deadlift.

I don't fully relax my back at all, in fact I feel zero discomfort there.  I just settle on the box and fire back up.

http://westside-barbell.com/box-squatting-benefits/

Plus, with anyone who exercises over long periods of time, it's good  to try new stuff to prevent boredom and learn.
Y

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2016, 07:24:01 AM »
I'm not saying that it causes injuries (although I cannot see how relaxing while a tremendous load on your back is a good thing), but no one has ever explained to me what the benefit is?  I would think the key to improving/increasing your squats, are normal squats, all the way down.

I am sure that others that know more will chime in, but I always thought that it was about programming the "back and down" motion over the high-bar "drop in the hole" motion.