Author Topic: Are box squats safe for Edomites?  (Read 12950 times)

Simple Simon

Re: Are box squats safe for Edomites?
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2016, 07:25:09 AM »
Coach can do it better, but I think it teaches/helps your hips/butt to be able to fire out of the bottom position of a squat, and strengthens the entire posterior chain.

All I know is that I've added them over the last years, using a cambered squat bar after shoulder surgery, and that I saw a definite increase in my speed, jump, and deadlift.

I don't fully relax my back at all, in fact I feel zero discomfort there.  I just settle on the box and fire back up.

http://westside-barbell.com/box-squatting-benefits/

Plus, with anyone who exercises over long periods of time, it's good  to try new stuff to prevent boredom and learn.

then you are not doing them properly as per coaches instructions.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »

??

Fill your abdomen with air, and push out against your belt.  Push your knees out as far as possible to the sides and with a tightly arched back, squat back, not down, until you completely sit on the box.  Every muscle is kept tight while on the box with the exception of the hip flexors.  By releasing and then contracting the hip flexors and arching the upper back, you will jump off the box, building tremendous starting strength.

I don't wear a belt though.
Y

Simple Simon

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2016, 07:33:53 AM »
??

I don't wear a belt though.

look, as soon as that box takes any weight from you your muscles relax, there wouldn't be any point sitting on it if it didn't, thats the whole point of sitting down in the first place.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2016, 07:42:36 AM »
look, as soon as that box takes any weight from you your muscles relax, there wouldn't be any point sitting on it if it didn't, thats the whole point of sitting down in the first place.

Certain muscles relax.  Not the back, as I stated I didn't, and the quote supports.
Y

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2016, 08:46:31 AM »
Ohhh... you're so hardcore I can't stand it !
???
Gayest response ever from Mr Analballick
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2016, 08:49:35 AM »
So? As soon as the db's touch your chest muscles relax, as soon as you stand up in a squat muscles relax, as soon as you curl to the top muscles relax...what's your point?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »
So? As soon as the db's touch your chest muscles relax, as soon as you stand up in a squat muscles relax, as soon as you curl to the top muscles relax...what's your point?

LOL 

Thats brutal. His own logic used against him.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »
I'm not saying that it causes injuries (although I cannot see how relaxing while a tremendous load on your back is a good thing), but no one has ever explained to me what the benefit is?  I would think the key to improving/increasing your squats, are normal squats, all the way down.

Oh shit! No homo of course.

Simple Simon

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2016, 10:22:18 AM »

Really, mine dont, if your muscles were not flexed and tight when you stood up in a squat you would fold under the weight.
Any time I use dumbells the tension never comes off the muscle.

We are talking a very specific area of the low back with box squats, L4 L5, go and see how many back injuries involve those discs.
that area is under huge compression once you sit down

Any way , fuck it you carry on doing them,
"Light weight baby"

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2016, 10:23:53 AM »
Really, mine dont, if your muscles were not flexed and tight when you stood up in a squat you would fold under the weight.
Any time I use dumbells the tension never comes off the muscle.

We are talking a very specific area of the low back with box squats, L4 L5, go and see how many back injuries involve those discs.
that area is under huge compression once you sit down

Any way , fuck it you carry on doing them,
"Light weight baby"
Obviously you've never squatted.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Simple Simon

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2016, 10:36:42 AM »
Obviously you've never squatted.

I used to years ago when I was young and foolish and believed you had to to develop good legs.
Im much more aware of whats required now, some people are stuck in the dark ages.

DanM

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2016, 10:42:31 AM »
Box squats suck, there are better ways to teach the squat and better ways to develop the posterior chain. The only guys who still cling to these b-rated variations are Westside barbell wannabes.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2016, 12:48:01 PM »
I used to years ago when I was young and foolish and believed you had to to develop good legs.
Im much more aware of whats required now, some people are stuck in the dark ages.
Yes, I'm sure your leg presses are working wonders for your knees, hips and low back. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »
???
Gayest response ever from Mr Analballick

Never did a single box squat, yet I've squatted 525 for reps at 180lbs, 405 for 15, 315 for 25 and 225 for 55 reps.  Natty too.

So gay, isn't it?

Simple Simon

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »
Yes, I'm sure your leg presses are working wonders for your knees, hips and low back. ;)
I only use around 90k so yes, they are doing fine thanks,
I use a push away leg press machine, absolutely zero stress on the low back and hips.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2016, 03:08:25 PM »
Never did a single box squat, yet I've squatted 525 for reps at 180lbs, 405 for 15, 315 for 25 and 225 for 55 reps.  Natty too.

So gay, isn't it?

Yes

I only use around 90k so yes, they are doing fine thanks,
I use a push away leg press machine, absolutely zero stress on the low back and hips.
Of course, because you push that weight completely unsupported.  ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »

Really? How so?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2016, 08:09:41 PM »
and as a rational sensible man you cant see where that might be dangerous for your lower spinal discs
All that weight pressing down on the discs with almost zero muscular support from the hips and low back????

Not in the least. As long your core is kept tight, especially in the sitting position the risks are low, lower than regular squats.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2016, 08:14:12 PM »

So gay, isn't it?

We've got a world record holder here!!! :o
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Simple Simon

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2016, 04:17:07 AM »
Of course, because you push that weight completely unsupported.  ::)
my low back is fully supported by the machine.

Simple Simon

« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2016, 04:19:24 AM »
Not in the least. As long your core is kept tight, especially in the sitting position the risks are low, lower than regular squats.
sitting down and standing up again is like yanking at a heavy weight, sooner or later you will tear something.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2016, 08:09:09 AM »
my low back is fully supported by the machine.
You're so convinced that you're right, you wouldn't admit it if it wasn't. Theres risks with every movement in weightlifting, all about how it feels and works with your body. I do box squats, no pains, no stress in my back, if they scare you, don't do them. Pretty simple.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2016, 08:19:28 AM »
Chaos, what is your primary hamstring movement?

Do you work your hamstrings before or after your Box Squats? Thanks

Simple Simon

« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2016, 08:41:01 AM »
You're so convinced that you're right, you wouldn't admit it if it wasn't. Theres risks with every movement in weightlifting, all about how it feels and works with your body. I do box squats, no pains, no stress in my back, if they scare you, don't do them. Pretty simple.
I want to be able to walk unaided when Im 70, so yes, I will avoid any exercise that unduly stresses my body, same with heavy wights, I avoid those also.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2016, 08:45:25 AM »
I want to be able to walk unaided when Im 70, so yes, I will avoid any exercise that unduly stresses my body, same with heavy wights, I avoid those also.

I wonder what ruined Ronnie; the 800Lb squats or the 800LB deadlifts or the 2000Lb Leg Presses