Author Topic: Are box squats safe for Edomites?  (Read 12988 times)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: Are box squats safe for Edomites?
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2016, 08:54:20 AM »
I wonder what ruined Ronnie; the 800Lb squats or the 800LB deadlifts or the 2000Lb Leg Presses

All that along with the  IQ of a short school bus/dark windows mind and his heavy drug use are what did that idiot in.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
I wonder what ruined Ronnie; the 800Lb squats or the 800LB deadlifts or the 2000Lb Leg Presses
Surely had nothing to do with the grams upon grams of chemicals pounded into his body for decades.  ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
Surely had nothing to do with the grams upon grams of chemicals pounded into his body for decades.  ::)

Well, Yates & Cutler & Ruhl are still able to walk properly.... so I'm sure that it wasn't just the drugs

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »
Chaos, did you see my question for you? Page 3, third post from the bottom of the page.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2016, 05:16:50 PM »
Chaos, what is your primary hamstring movement?

Do you work your hamstrings before or after your Box Squats? Thanks
SLDL
Always do squatting movements first. I box squat maybe once every 4-6 weeks maybe. I actually prefer pause squats over box squats.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2016, 05:37:58 PM »
I recall dong box squats many, many years ago. I never got hurt from them but I never liked them all that much. I preferred the "high rep death march"  squats.   ;D  Squatting transformed me more than any other exercise and my friends that were powerlifters were correct in that I think it truly is the king of exercises.

At first I hated the squat but the results changed my attitude and leg day became my absolute favorite. ;D

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2016, 05:46:19 PM »
SLDL
Always do squatting movements first. I box squat maybe once every 4-6 weeks maybe. I actually prefer pause squats over box squats.

Ok thanks

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2016, 06:50:34 PM »
Ok thanks
What is your primary hamstring movement?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2016, 06:53:40 PM »
What is your primary hamstring movement?

Glute Ham Raises

And SLDL with the trap bar.

I was doing goodmornings... I have to start doing them again

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2016, 06:59:03 PM »
Glute Ham Raises

And SLDL with the trap bar.

I was doing goodmornings... I have to start doing them again
Sorry. The answer is squats. You are not going deep enough. I hate them, too. And it takes about a 10-minute shower. 

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2016, 07:03:27 PM »
Sorry. The answer is squats. You are not going deep enough. I hate them, too. And it takes about a 10-minute shower. 

I do squats too.

But the movements above are done specifically for leg biceps (and some lower back)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2016, 07:12:04 PM »
I do squats too.

But the movements above are done specifically for leg biceps (and some lower back)
Leg biceps!?  ;D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2016, 07:28:57 PM »
Poliquin is not a fan of box squats

https://www.t-nation.com/training/question-of-strength-48

T Nation: Is there a lift you'd never have an athlete do?

One lift I don't like very much for athletes is the box squat. I never prescribe it

For one thing, there are a lot of better, less injurious alternatives. Many lifters, when they get fatigued or they lose concentration, will bounce off the box and get fractures in their sacral vertebrae. I may have 70 different tools that work and are safe, and one that may be potentially unsafe. Which one do I pick when working with highly paid athletes that I must get strong in only 11 weeks?

If you do use the box squat for powerlifting applications, remember that it requires very good coaching and someone there to make sure you stay on the ball. I wouldn't prescribe the box squat to an athlete training alone. With a full squat, on the other hand, you don't see those injuries.

Also, outside of powerlifting, the mechanics of box squatting are not found in sport. I don't know of any sport where the shins don't travel forward for propulsion.

Now, you can use box squats sparingly in your training if you're a bodybuilder. They'll certainly hypertrophy the glutes and thighs. But bodybuilding isn't an athletic endeavor.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/question-of-strength-35

Box Squats for Athletes and Bodybuilders?
Q: What do you think of having athletes do box squats? What about bodybuilders?

A: I never use them. With athletes, you want the most bang for your buck, the highest return, because you only have eleven weeks on average to train them during their off-season. So the choice of exercises becomes really important.

The problem I have with box squats is that their application is limited to powerlifting. The reason being is the goal of powerlifting is to lift the highest amount of weight for the shortest amount of distance within the rules. Essentially in the box squat, your shins don't travel forward. Now I don't know of any sport where the shins don't travel forward for propulsion. So the mechanics of the box squat aren't found in sport.

Do you think all the Westside people are up in arms yet and have me on their hit list? But it's the Bruce Lee principle again: use what is useful and reject what is not. Box squats are the only thing in the Westside system I don't agree with. They only have applications for powerlifting.

Also, any sort of restricted movement pattern tends to change soft tissue integrity. One thing you'll find with people who do a lot of box squats is that they're abnormally tight in the piriformis muscle, for example. In sports where you have to change direction a lot, the box squat will actually decrease your power because you won't be able to use those muscles efficiently.

Finally, most of the athletes I have are highly paid. There's a risk when doing box squats of the athlete bouncing on the box due to lack of concentration. The trauma that can result on the sacral vertebraes could be tremendous. There are just better alternatives. If you're a powerlifter, they're great. If you're any other type of athlete, stay away from the box squat.

Now, as far as bodybuilding is concerned, you can inject box squats sparingly into the training process. They will hypertrophy the thighs and glutes. But bodybuilding isn't an athletic endeavor. Most bodybuilders can't walk and chew gum at the same time. They're not known for coordination!

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2016, 07:33:19 PM »
Not to hijack this thread dedicated to Edomites, but what is the exercise of choice for us Japhites? Thanks in advance.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2016, 07:46:46 PM »
Not to hijack this thread dedicated to Edomites, but what is the exercise of choice for us Japhites? Thanks in advance.

Plain old squats will benefit anyone regardless of skin color, or in the case of Shittites, a  low IQ and even lower self esteem.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2016, 04:06:45 AM »
Wait..are edomites white or black?

I mix up Japhites , Vegemites, Marmites and Edomites on a regular basis as well.

I think the Edomites are white according to Wiggipedia.
Q

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »
Wiggs told me i was a Japhite, so i really can't relate.
I had to google to know what box squats is. I do Tom Platz style squats minus his poundages and insane intensity. Just God'ol ass to grass barefoot.

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2016, 10:01:26 AM »
The original box squat had the lifter actually lift his feet off the ground when performing the lift.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2016, 04:12:11 PM »
I want to be able to walk unaided when Im 70, so yes, I will avoid any exercise that unduly stresses my body, same with heavy wights, I avoid those also.

Explains why I never lifted all that heavy, just enough for a little bit of a challenge. Being almost 72, I can tell you that this approach pays off in the long run. I've been lifting for 56 years with no injuries.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2016, 04:17:08 PM »
Explains why I never lifted all that heavy, just enough for a little bit of a challenge. Being almost 72, I can tell you that this approach pays off in the long run. I've been lifting for 56 years with no injuries.
And no gains.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2016, 05:09:31 PM »
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2016, 07:22:59 PM »

I am impressed that you still squat at 70 plus

"

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2016, 10:30:59 AM »
I am impressed that you still squat at 70 plus

Thanks for finding that photo of me squatting. In truth, the I beam was made from balsa wood.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2016, 08:16:28 PM »