Author Topic: how do u make that enchilada sauce in microwave dinners  (Read 8240 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
how do u make that enchilada sauce in microwave dinners
« on: August 27, 2016, 05:48:17 PM »
i buy these little dinners all the time its never enough food but tastes so good

its a very mild low heat sauce its fucking great i taste very little or no tomato in the sauce

i find normal chili powder is not the same taste
nor is that disgusting enchilada sauce in a can that has too much tomato in it
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: how do u make that enchilada sauce in microwave dinners
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:50:49 PM »
Red or Green Sauce?

I would never replicate a microwave meal, but for giggles I will help you do it. LOLOLOLOL

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 05:56:34 PM »
Red or Green Sauce?

I would never replicate a microwave meal, but for giggles I will help you do it. LOLOLOLOL
the red sauce
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 06:00:22 PM »
Red or Green Sauce?

seriously those "amy's mexican enchiladas " are worth trying. its the sauce they use thats amazing
A

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 06:13:19 PM »
should be able to find some at any supermarket.  (what you get at a restaurant comes from a can, too)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 06:13:27 PM »
seriously those "amy's mexican enchiladas " are worth trying. its the sauce they use thats amazing
I made Deep Fried San Antonio Puffy Tacos last night and will make them again tonight.  They are awesome!

You oughta learn how to deep fry things.  I think it will change your life to be honest.  

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 06:19:14 PM »
should be able to find some at any supermarket
no that shit is garbage its too tomatoey

enchilada sauce like u get in a restarunt or this microwave dinner is ideal for cheese enchiladas or bean n corn
always use corn tortillas
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 06:21:54 PM »
no that shit is garbage its too tomatoey

enchilada sauce like u get in a restarunt or this microwave dinner is ideal for cheese enchiladas or bean n corn
always use corn tortillas
Have you ever seen those bags of large dried chilis in the grocery store, (many different kinds) we will start there.  Let me know if you know what I am talking about.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 06:25:41 PM »
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon ground chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin  <== this is the main flavor, so add more if you like (esp if your cumin is old)
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon salt, to taste
Pinch of cinnamon
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

This sauce comes together quickly once you get started, so measure the dry ingredients (the flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt and optional cinnamon) into a small bowl and place it near the stove. Place the tomato paste and broth near the stove as well.

In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, warm the oil until it’s it's hot enough that a light sprinkle of the flour/spice mixture sizzles on contact. This might take a couple of minutes, so be patient and don’t step away from the stove!

Once it's ready, pour in the flour and spice mixture. While whisking constantly, cook until fragrant and slightly deepened in color, about 1 minute. Whisk the tomato paste into the mixture, then slowly pour in the broth while whisking constantly to remove any lumps.

Raise heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, whisking often, for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened a bit and a spoon encounters some resistance as you stir it. (The sauce will further thicken as it cools.)

Remove from heat, then whisk in the vinegar and season to taste with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and more salt, if necessary.

btw, cumin is the american name for ground coriander seeds. Coriander in an american recipe means the fresh leaves.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 06:28:32 PM »
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon ground chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin  <== this is the main flavor, so add more if you like (esp if your cumin is old)
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon salt, to taste
Pinch of cinnamon
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

This sauce comes together quickly once you get started, so measure the dry ingredients (the flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt and optional cinnamon) into a small bowl and place it near the stove. Place the tomato paste and broth near the stove as well.

In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, warm the oil until it’s it's hot enough that a light sprinkle of the flour/spice mixture sizzles on contact. This might take a couple of minutes, so be patient and don’t step away from the stove!

Once it's ready, pour in the flour and spice mixture. While whisking constantly, cook until fragrant and slightly deepened in color, about 1 minute. Whisk the tomato paste into the mixture, then slowly pour in the broth while whisking constantly to remove any lumps.

Raise heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, whisking often, for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened a bit and a spoon encounters some resistance as you stir it. (The sauce will further thicken as it cools.)

Remove from heat, then whisk in the vinegar and season to taste with a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper and more salt, if necessary.

btw, cumin is the american name for ground coriander seeds. Coriander in an american recipe means the fresh leaves.
That is a really shitty recipe.  Looks like you pulled it from a shitty blog.   Flour. EL-O-EL!

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 06:31:10 PM »
Have you ever seen those bags of large dried chilis in the grocery store, (many different kinds) we will start there.  Let me know if you know what I am talking about.
yes ive never bought them
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 06:33:18 PM »
i really dont understand why they dont sell this shit premade. that old elpaso in a can brutally sucks
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 06:34:28 PM »
Probably tomatillos and red capsicum peppers, amigo, along with the usual tex-mex spicings.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 06:42:55 PM »
That is a really shitty recipe.  Looks like you pulled it from a shitty blog.   Flour. EL-O-EL!

enchilada sauce is a gravy.  Gravies are made by taking flour and fat and making a roux, then adding liquid and spices.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 06:44:27 PM »
yes ive never bought them
Lets make it simple and authentic.

5 medium guajillo chiles (the dried ones in a bag)
3 cloves of garlic
28 ounce can or 2 14 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes.  Should be easy enough for you to find
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil (hopefully not extra virgin, but it can be used in a pinch.  Also consider corn oil if you have it)
2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth since I know you are vegan.  Use whatever you use for vegetable broth

1.  Turn oven to 350°F and preheat it. Place guajillo chiles on a baking sheet and heat in oven until puffed up and they begin to smell really good.  I estimate around 4 minutes or so. Remove and cool. Take the stems out and seeds, then tear into pieces.
2.  Put your now roasted chiles, garlic, tomatoes, cumin, and black pepper in a blender and get it as smooth as possible.  You want it really smooth.
3.  Heat your oil in a saucepan,medium-high heat until shimmering.  Add sauce and cook stirring constantly, until thickened to consistency of tomato paste.   Should take around 5-10 minutes.  Pour in your broth, bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 10 minutes or so, stirring every now and then. Taste sauce and season with salt and sugar to taste.

You should be able to handle that.  

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 06:45:59 PM »
enchilada sauce is a gravy.  Gravies are made by taking flour and fat and making a roux, then adding liquid and spices.
i think so its a fairly bland sauce with just enough mild spice from chilis

its important because it actually makes beans and corn in a corn tortilla freakin delicious
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 06:46:36 PM »
You are an idiot and don't know anything about this obviously.  :D

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 06:50:16 PM »
i think so its a fairly bland sauce with just enough mild spice from chilis

its important because it actually makes beans and corn in a corn tortilla freakin delicious
His post from some shitty blog is a joke.  May as well just eat the spice cabinet and some sawdust instead.  No Chili flavor at all.

I can tell he never made anything Mexican before.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 07:02:13 PM »

Not every sauce is a gravy.  A gravy is meat based, whereas a tex mex sauces are vegetable based.  They are thickened by reduction, items containing pectin, and possibly starch leaching into the sauce from included ingredients.  As far as I know, no tex mex or mexican sauces are made by the french method of liaising an emulsifying roux with a thin liquid.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2016, 07:14:56 PM »
His post from some shitty blog is a joke.  May as well just eat the spice cabinet and some sawdust instead.  No Chili flavor at all.

I can tell he never made anything Mexican before.

checking my mexican cookbook....Most traditional moles are made with day old bread as an ingredient. So yes, making a roux would not be traditional, but it accomplishes the same thing.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 07:16:33 PM »
checking my mexican cookbook....Most traditional moles are made with day old bread as an ingredient. So yes, making a roux would not be traditional, but it accomplishes the same thing.
No it doesn't.  At least not in how each work.

iwantmass

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 07:20:06 PM »
No it doesn't.  At least not in how each work.

The only thing he is an expert on is milking the cock, but he comes here and pretends to know things when his mouth is empty

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 07:22:52 PM »
Thats Racist!

How dare you say "Mexican".   >:(  This is not appropriate and you need to check your white privilege before you describe anything as "mexican".   Hispanic is the proper term.  Furthermore, this is cultural appropriations at its finest and you need to reject the cookbook and throw it in the trash you insensitive fuck.  You DO NOT get to choose which cultures you get to adopt and exploit.  Recognize that you are embracing the theft of a culture willingly.  Also you chose to shit all over it with your WHITE FLOUR.

How dare you introduce WHITE FLOUR you White Flour supremacist.  I have had it with you and you need to not be so insensitive.  

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
Thats Racist!

How dare you say "Mexican".   >:(  This is not appropriate and you need to check your white privilege before you describe anything as "mexican".   Hispanic is the proper term.  Furthermore, this is cultural appropriations at its finest and you need to reject the cookbook and throw it in the trash you insensitive fuck.  You DO NOT get to choose which cultures you get to adopt and exploit.  Recognize that you are embracing the theft of a culture willingly.  Also you chose to shit all over it with your WHITE FLOUR.

How dare you introduce WHITE FLOUR you White Flour supremacist.  I have had it with you and you need to not be so insensitive.  

Meltdown.
©

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 07:27:26 PM »
Would love to be in TA's home ec class