Author Topic: Bob Paris - was Pretty Massive in 1984  (Read 24863 times)

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Bob Paris was pretty massive in 1984
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2016, 05:06:14 PM »
Hey John,

Any chance of ever getting an interview with Paris?

I would love to. If I find anyone who knows him, I'll try to interview him.

Simple Simon

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2016, 10:08:41 PM »
Nah, guys like Flex Wheeler had TINY pecs and he was known to never do free weight bench presses. Had he done them, he could have brought up his chest size.
no he couldnt.

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2016, 12:55:32 AM »
That photo right there was the reason i stopped following bodybuilding, I kept a passive interest after retiring mid 90s but with the emergence of things like Branch I never went to a show or bought a magazine again or followed online outside of this G&O, the modern sport and its disregard for structure as part of the criteria is a big part of the reason the sport never progressed, I don't think it could ever have been reinvented like the UFC did to MMA, but if we could have kept physiques looking more human like Bob, the sport could have certainly had a chance at becoming something more than it is today.

Ditto - Haven't been to a show now since '96! Sad ..... Hopefully it will come around again

Alfurinn

• Getbig III
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2016, 06:11:29 PM »
There are at least two reasons why bodybuilding today is about huge proportions over the replication of the Greek body ideal as we know it:

1. If there are substances that will allow men to get a massive musculature it is expected that they were going to given them a try because for many bodybuilders there's an obsession with growing and growing, no matter what.

2. The shift from proportionate to disproportionately massive also responds to the anxiety among bodybuilding organizations to dissociate bodybuilding from homosexuality. A proportionate muscular body is inherently erotic in nature. Huge mass is read as lacking in erotic meaning and they thought that by embracing massiveness the muscular body would no longer be associate with homosexuality and eroticism. Their attempt is now associate freakness with heterosexuality. This attempt is debatable in its success...

Modern bodybuilding has always tried to re-interpret the muscular body as a sign of heterosexuality and heterosexual desire, although the attempts haven't fully succeeded.

I understand this bodybuilding was a victim of this rhetoric in modern bodybuilding.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2016, 06:26:37 PM »
There are at least two reasons why bodybuilding today is about huge proportions over the replication of the Greek body ideal as we know it:

1. If there are substances that will allow men to get a massive musculature it is expected that they were going to given them a try because for many bodybuilders there's an obsession with growing and growing, no matter what.

2. The shift from proportionate to disproportionately massive also responds to the anxiety among bodybuilding organizations to dissociate bodybuilding from homosexuality. A proportionate muscular body is inherently erotic in nature. Huge mass is read as lacking in erotic meaning and they thought that by embracing massiveness the muscular body would no longer be associate with homosexuality and eroticism. Their attempt is now associate freakness with heterosexuality. This attempt is debatable in its success...

Modern bodybuilding has always tried to re-interpret the muscular body as a sign of heterosexuality and heterosexual desire, although the attempts haven't fully succeeded.

I understand this bodybuilding was a victim of this rhetoric in modern bodybuilding.

Hmmm... your point #2 is an angle I'd genuinely never considered before.  But I'm cautious of the use of the word 'they' in this way, as it implies mobilising a well thought out, communicated and executed approach to changing the game, as it were.  Perhaps 'they' are indeed capable of such strategic thoughts and actions, who knows..?

Oh, and so you're also saying bodies like these aren't attractive? LOL  ;)

T

Alfurinn

• Getbig III
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2016, 07:41:37 PM »
Hmmm... your point #2 is an angle I'd genuinely never considered before.  But I'm cautious of the use of the word 'they' in this way, as it implies mobilising a well thought out, communicated and executed approach to changing the game, as it were.  Perhaps 'they' are indeed capable of such strategic thoughts and actions, who knows..?

Oh, and so you're also saying bodies like these aren't attractive? LOL  ;)

The people who have onwed and own the bodybuilding industry.

As for your question. Beauty is in the eye of the behoder, but definitely, most people don't find those body types attractive. The element of attraction in their bodies is freakishness even though, in esence, bodybuilding seeks to exalt the Greek body ideal which Bob Paris pretty much embodied when he was young.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »
The people who have onwed and own the bodybuilding industry.

As for your question. Beauty is in the eye of the behoder, but definitely, most people don't find those body types attractive. The element of attraction in their bodies is freakishness even though, in esence, bodybuilding seeks to exalt the Greek body ideal which Bob Paris pretty much embodied when he was young.

Sorry Alfurrin, my attempt at sarcasm failed to punch through there, even with a little wink at the end - of course bodies in this shape are a turn off for the majority of the pencil necked public, so we agree...  ;)
T

Alfurinn

• Getbig III
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2016, 09:42:50 PM »
Sorry Alfurrin, my attempt at sarcasm failed to punch through there, even with a little wink at the end - of course bodies in this shape are a turn off for the majority of the pencil necked public, so we agree...  ;)

The sacrcasm in the pic? I actually noticed it.  ;D

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2016, 10:47:06 PM »
Hmmm... your point #2 is an angle I'd genuinely never considered before.  But I'm cautious of the use of the word 'they' in this way, as it implies mobilising a well thought out, communicated and executed approach to changing the game, as it were.  Perhaps 'they' are indeed capable of such strategic thoughts and actions, who knows..?

Oh, and so you're also saying bodies like these aren't attractive? LOL  ;)

Those waists are minimum 50". Go back to only the 90's and most top guys waists were in their low-mid 30's (with exception to Dorian and maybe Nasser).

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2016, 12:19:49 PM »
Just picture you With this physique and looks wearing a Superman shirt and walking in to the comic con this year  ;D

WooSHHHHHHHHH TA NA KA 

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2016, 03:22:10 PM »
That's like the year (1979) Rory Leidelmeyer made the mistake of over dieting and came in at like 192 pounds and people thought he had become anorexic. The least Bob Paris ever weighed was 198 pounds in the early 1980's (like 1982 or 1983). I think he averaged 225 in competition and around 250 in the offseason.

Below is a picture of Rory at 192 pounds. He never made that mistake again. He would come in at 230-235 from 1980 onwards.

Holy shit.  Look at that COCK!

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2016, 03:23:55 PM »
Holy shit.  Look at that COCK!

Are you claiming Stiffy on stage of Peace?
Q

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2016, 03:31:11 PM »
Nah, guys like Flex Wheeler had TINY pecs and he was known to never do free weight bench presses. Had he done them, he could have brought up his chest size.

You're habitually wrong , I'll wait for your excuses

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2016, 03:54:05 PM »

This was the reason we got into training in the first place...Today's pros are in the main a fucking embarrassment with their 50 inch guts and oil loaded physiques.

agust

• Getbig I
books
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2017, 03:13:47 PM »

which book recommends me to buy from bob paris

Simple Simon

Re: books
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2017, 03:15:08 PM »
dont know, which book recommends you to buy from Bob Paris?

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2017, 03:25:34 PM »
Bob Paris recommends you to buy this book about finding honey in another's backyard.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2017, 03:26:27 PM »
which book recommends me to buy from bob paris

This book recommends you to purchase from bob

Q

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2017, 03:28:13 PM »
Straight from the Heart - A Love story, recommends you to purchase Bob's Books

Q

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2017, 03:32:06 PM »
I have this one. Good for a training book minus his stupid visualization exercises.

I haven't read but hear Gorilla Suit is a good book.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2017, 04:02:44 PM »

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »
Who the fuck reads books

calfzilla