Author Topic: Jogging with weights  (Read 2865 times)

Ledd

• Getbig III
Jogging with weights
« on: March 27, 2006, 12:52:01 PM »
Sounds pretty tough to me if you jog any distance.  I would try it if I could make gains with it, I get really bored after the first mile and a half even when jogging outside.

Any reason to do this?  What kind of weights do you all suggest? 

Thanks.

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
Re: Jogging with weights
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 01:38:24 PM »
My opinion..........pointle ss.
W

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 03:24:58 PM »
theres this old woman that always comes to the gym, shes probably 70s or 80s, she puts her lifting gloves on, grabs the 2lbers and walks around the gym for 15 minutes, then will do some lat pulldown, walk some more, and then go home. I give her credit for actually coming to the gym, but the point of that story is yes, holding weights while walking and running is completely pointless.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 04:36:06 PM »
Are these actual informed opinions???
I'm not talking about trotting around with a 2lb dumbell, I'm talking about perhaps a weighted backpack, maybe 20-30lbs for 1-2 miles.

newdumbell303

• Getbig II
  • "get serious..."
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 06:23:11 PM »
I'm not talking about trotting around with a 2lb dumbell, I'm talking about perhaps a weighted backpack, maybe 20-30lbs for 1-2 miles.

yea thats good for the back ::) put on some ankle weights and run instead, and weighted chest vest too, but definetely not a backpack.

Old Pig

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 06:28:48 PM »

if you have a need for it for some specific event, go ahead, but it adds unecessary stress on back, knees, hips, ankles etc, as if running in itself didn't offer enough stress as it is. in my younger days, a couple of times a year, i would have to run 20 miles with 25 lbs backpack (AG3 included) in my fatigues and boots (no sneakers allowed). didn't do anything good for my knees!  :'(

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 04:21:49 AM »
No use at all,

you create an inbalance in your body what can effect your knees, hips, back.
You know how black people in africa carry stuff, on their head. The greatest way to create an proper balance.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 05:11:57 AM »

You would die.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 05:13:26 AM »
yea thats good for the back ::) put on some ankle weights and run instead, and weighted chest vest too, but definetely not a backpack.

Running with ankle weights and you will be at a crawling pace before long.
The House that Ruth built

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 01:13:59 PM »
There are some weighted vests on the market that will increase your endurance while running, but in these the weight is distributed in your upper body. I have used these in a limited way while training on the track and found they are VERY effective in increasing your speed and power since you automatically go faster once it is removed. Less weight = more speed.

Carrying weights and running is really not recommended for reasons already mentioned ---creating imbalances, not bruising yourself with these weights. or even crippling yourself by dropping them on your feet.  My advice is don't mix the two.

When I run I try to be as light as possible and the thought of carrying anything more than package of power gel is not appealing.