Author Topic: Cardio and Leg day  (Read 8881 times)

Bast175

Cardio and Leg day
« on: March 28, 2006, 03:00:52 PM »
Do you do cardio the day you train legs? 
Also do you do cardio the day after?  (Doesn't exactly feel great)

What is more detrimental to the legs?

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
Re: Cardio and Leg day
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 03:04:49 PM »
Funny you ask.  I just started cardio last week, and just finished legs about 3 hours ago.  I did do cardio afterwards, very moderate.  I don't think it will hurt anything, if you don't go running 5 miles afterwards.
W

Bast175

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 03:12:45 PM »
Funny you ask.  I just started cardio last week, and just finished legs about 3 hours ago.  I did do cardio afterwards, very moderate.  I don't think it will hurt anything, if you don't go running 5 miles afterwards.

I worked legs yesterday.

For hamstrings I did only 1 set to failure of still leg deads for them, 225lbs for 12-13 reps.  I didn't go heavier because I strained my lower back a little bit recently.  (I did 2 warm up sets).    Then I did 22 min of bike cardio.  (burned 200 calories so not a hard pace) When I left the gym my hamstrings started cramping up and I had to stretch them.

Today they are extremeley sore.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 07:25:28 PM »
i am unable to do any cardio for at least three days after a leg day.

Odinn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 08:01:00 PM »
I've had bad experiences like that when mixing cardio and legs on the same day. I'd maybe do some jogging the next day to loosen them up, but you've got to let your legs rest so they can recover properly.

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:56:02 PM »
moderate cardio after legs reduces soreness for me.  so does stretching
The General

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 12:18:28 AM »
i walk very slow uphill on the tread mill for 20 min. before training legs...i use it more to stretch out and try to get a little blood flowing....

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 02:01:04 AM »
Try a bit of interval training on eliptical (cross trainer) after legs. depending on machine having diff settings. I set mine to level 8 then do 30 secs at 55/60 reps per minute, then keep it at level 8 and up pace to 115 reps for 30 secs. Repeat this a few times after leg day,helps reduce soreness+if u grip handles infront of u and dont use side handles (so ur hands/arms are stationery duriing whole excercise) then u will really have ur legs burning alot.
Good leg finisher and good cardio aswell.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 04:53:00 AM »
Don't do cardio at all.

Pick an other day,
the day's I do back or legs, means a nogo for cardio. The day before, just moderate on regular training, or very early.

I'm not the person who can run/cycle daily. The biggest part is your diet.

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 05:32:19 PM »
I do just about 10-20 mins on the bike after leg day, not too much and its a good cool down.
you are gay.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 07:27:03 PM »
moderate cardio after legs reduces soreness for me.  so does stretching

The same for me as well.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 11:30:17 PM »
i am unable to do any cardio for at least three days after a leg day.

ha ha if you do legs once a weeek you never do cardio

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 10:44:30 AM »
Jogging after legs is a great idea because you're legs are going to be sore the next day anyway so you might as well get in some good cardio.

Sprints are fun too.

-sS

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 01:28:55 PM »
ha ha if you do legs once a weeek you never do cardio

i do cardio twice a week.

hit legs thursday morning, do sprints on sunday and tuesday night

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 03:50:52 PM »
After doing heavy legs, I always walk a good pace on a treadmill for 15 mins, gradually increasing the incline.....a great finish to killer leg workouts....

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 10:14:49 AM »
I cycle on the stationary bike for 10-15 minutes after leg day to decrease soreness the next day...so its not cardio per say

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 10:40:33 AM »
I do legs twice a week ----once plyometrics and/or weights, and the other day just weights. This is preceding by 10-15 minutes of easy cardio (bike, easy jog) as a warm-up.

If I've worked my legs hard, all I do is walk and bike easy, or stretch them out the same or next day.

If I can still run (other than a 16 min mile pace -- LOL), then I didn't work my legs hard enough.

Give yourself a rest after legs!

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 11:01:06 AM »
I don't do cardio the day of legs, but since I am cutting I am doing cardio on M,W,F, and I do legs on TH so I am doing cardio the day after.  On my normal routine I wouldn't do cardio the day of or the day after legs.

FitChic78

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 12:17:57 PM »
Doing cardio on the legs day does not affect my work out at all. However, since I train heavy, the next day and the second day I am in pain. Like this morning, the plan was to get up and go do my 30 min in the morning but I was so dead tired after yesterday's work out that even though I was mentally prepared to go do it, physically my body refused...

As far as what's worse...Honestly, I don't think it would greatly affect your gains if you do it smart. If it's low intensity (I do 15% incline @ 3 mph) walking, even in the morning, with a protein shake thrown in and BCAA's, you should be fine. As far as doing it on the day you train legs or the day after, it can actually be beneficial, considering that it gets your blood flowing and thus a good warm-up (if you do it before your leg training) or a cool daown/stretch effect (if you choose to do it immediately after); also can remove a lactic acid built-up if you do it the next day...