Author Topic: i'm being chastised for...  (Read 3830 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
i'm being chastised for...
« on: March 29, 2006, 10:23:17 AM »
doing dumbbell kickbacks at the gym! the other day i was excited for hitting 2 sets of 8 wiht 85 lbs and then getting uppity about it! that's alot of weight in my book1 something i didn't think i could try! then here comes the "kick backs are bad" choir...

are they really that determental? it feels great...great pump and i get a good squeeze at the top and control it on the way down with no pain in my elbows...

should i just throw them outta my plan or what? i grew up hearing about them and what they could do for ya...has this mentality changed?  :-\

wildman536

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: i'm being chastised for...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 10:38:43 AM »
if you think that its helping then go for it!!

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »
Some people like oranges and some like apple's. Do what you like and feel. Everything works!!

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 10:43:17 AM »
i was fixing to say..unless they know something i dont..it feels great! my typical routine is..

65x12x1
70x10x2 but of late i've thrown in just one set with 70 and two sets of 8 with 85! the looks i get range from obscene to "youre nutz" when i pull them from the rack and bang out kick backs with them! skull crushers hurt my elbows and wihtout a spotter i dont seem them being as effective...

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 12:02:17 PM »
damn due, thats some  serious weight. are you doing it one arm or the two style. kicks backs are great for the iron horseshoes. if its working doint listen to the  "gym doctors"

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 05:08:51 PM »
i do them after close grip benches and lying dumbell ext. i think there a good exersize just everyone does them light. i feel every exersize basiclly can be trained heavy. forearms calves etc

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 07:03:21 PM »
you can do kick backs with two hands?  ???

and yeah..i only do closed grip benches to finish off my chest on bench day then the kick backs

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 07:42:32 PM »
yeah you can do'em with both arms at the same time. you stand at a 90 degrees and  do kick backs that why... now that i think about it. to do 80lbs you would have to do 'em one arm.

slippediskmountian

• Getbig IV
  • absolute power corrupts absolutely
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 07:45:27 PM »
id love to see the rom you get on those ::)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 09:05:38 PM »
doing dumbbell kickbacks at the gym! the other day i was excited for hitting 2 sets of 8 wiht 85 lbs and then getting uppity about it! that's alot of weight in my book1 something i didn't think i could try! then here comes the "kick backs are bad" choir...

are they really that determental? it feels great...great pump and i get a good squeeze at the top and control it on the way down with no pain in my elbows...

should i just throw them outta my plan or what? i grew up hearing about them and what they could do for ya...has this mentality changed?  :-\

Grow an arm and people will stop giving you advice!
just push some weight!

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 09:25:04 PM »
no way in hell you're doing them right with 80lbs.  try it with 40lbs and do it properly

im guess your form sucks cause since you say skullcrushers hurt your elbows, you must have fucked them up already with your poor form on that.  try and stop making the same form mistakes before all your cartilage is gone.
its comin today

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 09:18:20 AM »
i set up like i'm doing dumb bell rows on the side of the bench and kick it back and squeeze it for a split second and control it on the way down...i wish i could post a video...that way if i was fucking it up i could tell where exactly.  my training partners see nothing bad in it...

but skull crushers i can't let the weight go down completely..it feels like i'mg onna rip the tie'ns to my elbows right out when it's all the way down.  :-\  i dont get it with closed grip bench, kickbacks, or pressdowns on the machines...just skull crushers..it hink i dont keep my elbows in tight enough.  ???

lol hey dont hate! i like my 17" arms! been putting in alot of work for those! granted theyr'e not massive show quality pythons..but i think they look good enough for now! being 6'1" on 200 theyr'e not THAT impressive but come on!  :D

T-bol

• Getbig I
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 11:50:28 AM »
id love to see the rom you get on those ::)

LOL, no way he can do kick backs with 85lbs, NO WAY

Shadyadam

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 12:10:53 PM »
Ya 80 pound kickbacks just dosent sound right...  ???  I think you have your exercise's mixed up  ::)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 10:21:42 PM »
lol have any of you tried it?

honestly? it's not impossible...

T-bol

• Getbig I
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 08:05:27 AM »
lol have any of you tried it?

honestly? it's not impossible...

Yes, I have.  I repeat, there is NO WAY you do kickbacks with 85lbs dumbells.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 09:46:48 AM »
lol okay...can you even do it with 65lbs?!  ???

i'm looking for someone in my area with a video camera not only for training purposes...but to show ya'll it's not impossible..

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 12:17:15 PM »
F**K, 85 lbs is serious weight.  If you can do them with good form, props to ya man.  I fry em to s**t with 40's. 

As far as them being bad, thats stupid.  I use them a lot and they work great for me.  It's all about a different angle and in no way does that angle put any more stress on any joints more than anything else you do for triceps.  Tell them to f**k off and apply at 24 Hour for a training position  ::)

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »
i thought about this and realized that if anyone does a kickback, its usually the last thing they do, after lying extensions and pressdowns, dips, whatever.  so their tris are already pretty toast.  if it was the first thing you did after warming up, you could probably do much more than you would otherwise.

but 85lbs still seems preposterous
its comin today

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 01:39:55 PM »
i only do them right after bench pressing....and you're right it makes a difference...i can't do them if i do french presses first or the stack...

it's why i do them first and the towers last if i have them available...it's a free weight exercise that i feel like i benefit more from.  i'll try to get something up this weekend for you guys. if i'm doing this wrong i need to know.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 09:13:41 PM »
I'd like you to define a "kickback" in detailed terms. That is some serious weight to do what I think everyone is considering kickbacks..If you CAN do it..you don't need to be asking any advice from us..

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 03:53:28 PM »
kickbacks with 80's????   BULL F'ING SH)T!!!!!   NO WAY...unless your form is COMPLETE crap.  I am 230, 11% bf, lifting for 14 years and am at 35'sx10 for really good form....80's???  RIGHT!!!

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 01:50:12 AM »
You MUST be thinking of the wrong exercise......you cannot do a kickback with an 85lb dumbell....

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 05:24:23 AM »
i thought about this and realized that if anyone does a kickback, its usually the last thing they do, after lying extensions and pressdowns, dips, whatever.  so their tris are already pretty toast.  if it was the first thing you did after warming up, you could probably do much more than you would otherwise.

but 85lbs still seems preposterous

I doubt anyone could hold the weight parallel to the floor let alone perform a rep with an 85 pound dumbell.
The House that Ruth built