Author Topic: What exactly are the effects of high reps?  (Read 6339 times)

Kvon

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
What exactly are the effects of high reps?
« on: March 29, 2006, 09:05:29 PM »
Okay, so high reps are supposed to give you more endurance and can burn more calories and help you get cut and all that stuff, but what exactly is the effect on the physical appearance of the muscle?

For instance, let's say I switch from a bulking diet to a cutting diet but I keep my routine the same- heavy weight/low reps, and I throw in the proper amounts of cardio.  When I get my BF% lower, will my muscles still look the same as they would if I was doing low weight/high reps?

I've always been under the impression that high reps will bring out more striations and more definition in the muscle, but is this true?  Can I get the same effect from doing heavy weight (as long as my diet and cardio are right)?  I've always had better workouts with heavy weight/low reps so I don't want to be wasting my time for the next few months doing shitty high rep workouts if I can get the same effect by keeping it heavy.

Thanks,
-Kevin

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
Re: What exactly are the effects of high reps?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 09:20:57 PM »
if you are natural, its all about doing either a) more weight or b) more reps with the same weight.  in that order. 

so keep it heavy or else you muscles will shrink and despite losing fat, you'll still look like the same BF composition.....just smaller all over!
its comin today

Kvon

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:43:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice; I'll just keep it heavy.

-Kevin

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:08:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice; I'll just keep it heavy.

-Kevin
Why not do a mixture of both and see how that works.

Kvon

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 12:03:00 AM »
Yeah I was thinkin about trying that too.  Maybe just keep the presses, squats, pulldowns, and deads heavy and go for high reps on everything else.

-Kevin

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 12:45:52 AM »
The muscles will not shrink if you go lighter but still stress the muscles, that's not true. If that were true, you wouldn't see so many pros going lighter pre-contest.

I think there's no question that there's a better mind-muscle connection with moderate weights, whereas with heavy weights you're focusing on the lifting itself. That feel is crucial to refining the muscle, IMO. Just a hunch; the muscle's worked in a different way-even a HIT propoent like Casey Viator said that he felt that volume and lighter weights were justified, more effective pre-contest.

Aside from that, there's lower injury potential with weights that are more under control.

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 10:52:19 AM »

I think there's no question that there's a better mind-muscle connection with moderate weights, whereas with heavy weights you're focusing on the lifting itself. That feel is crucial to refining the muscle, IMO.

Interesting point.

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 10:58:18 AM »
notice how i prefaced my post with "if you are natural"

wasnt talking about pros.... but if you want to take about pros, theres a lot of them that stay heavy/get heavier up to a contest....coleman, levrone, d. james

this guy is just talking about leaning out a bit..... not getting to 4%, pulling water and sodium and taking lasix
its comin today

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 12:04:19 PM »
I think ones needs both for overall muscle development.....if that is your goal.  Muscles are made up of 50% fast twitch (lower reps higher weight) and 50% slow twitch (lower weight higher reps) muscle fibers, roughly.  To increase growth, one must exhaust as many fibers as possible.  Failure at around 10 reps is known to exhaust a majority of both.  Since training needs to be mixed up a bit, I will incorporate programs that concentrate on the different muscle fibers almost on a weekly basis.  What are the effects of higher reps?  Muscle endurance since you are using your slow twitch muscle fibers.    I don't think your slow twitch muscle fibers attribute to any more seperation or definition of muscles, but rather your diet, intensity and form.

Kvon

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 02:07:46 PM »
Sir William's right; I'm just looking to get leaner.... though being a freak of vascularity has its appeal.

Muscle endurance is nice and all, but the main reason I've always gone light is because I thought it added to the look of the muscle.  But if it's just a matter of reducing bodyfat, then why not stick with the lower reps?  I mean I understand the benefits of changing it up every now and then, but that's what drop-sets and negatives are for.

My main problem with high reps is that I just can't focus as well as I can when I'm doing heavy/moderate weight.  When I go heavy, I get that whole "mind-muscle" connection thing and I feel it alot more in the muscle when I'm finished.  But when I go light, it feels like I'm just going through the motions and only getting the cardio benefit.  If I'm gonna reach the same end (visually) with staying heavy as I would going light, then shouldn't I stick with the workout that has the intensity?

-Kevin

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 05:48:31 PM »
Sir William's right; I'm just looking to get leaner.... though being a freak of vascularity has its appeal.

Muscle endurance is nice and all, but the main reason I've always gone light is because I thought it added to the look of the muscle.  But if it's just a matter of reducing bodyfat, then why not stick with the lower reps?  I mean I understand the benefits of changing it up every now and then, but that's what drop-sets and negatives are for.

My main problem with high reps is that I just can't focus as well as I can when I'm doing heavy/moderate weight.  When I go heavy, I get that whole "mind-muscle" connection thing and I feel it alot more in the muscle when I'm finished.  But when I go light, it feels like I'm just going through the motions and only getting the cardio benefit.  If I'm gonna reach the same end (visually) with staying heavy as I would going light, then shouldn't I stick with the workout that has the intensity?

-Kevin
Yeah, but how high of reps are you doing when you say high rep?  I know what you mean about just goin through the motions, but if you keep it around 10-12 reps that would still be high rep and you might get a good burn like that too.

mombasa3

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 03:57:34 PM »
I had to make the switch from heavy weight/low reps to a lighter weight/high reps due to the fact I now have 2 hernias I am having to work around and I just had a hernia surgery and had to sit out for a while. 
  Anyway, it's definitely hard on my ego, but with the higher rep routine is giving me more definition without a doubt and adding a little size due to the fact I am still keeping my carbs up, my opinion.
  I had one of these trainers at my gym who trains beginners and rich middle age guys tell me, there would be no difference at all.  Stress is stress, the muscle won't know. 
  My preference is still the feel of the heavier weight.  Another advantage is when clearing the bar and returning my plates back, it is a whole lot easier.

H

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 04:44:53 PM »
GET_BIGGER  i'm currently trying to get my bodyfat from about 13.5 to like 8. what sorta weight should i lift?

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 01:09:52 PM »
GET_BIGGER  i'm currently trying to get my bodyfat from about 13.5 to like 8. what sorta weight should i lift?

Gibber, If I were you I would focus on building mass.  Your bodyfat is relatively low, and from your pics I wouldn't worry about cutting down 5%.  I would devote your energy to eating a s**tload of food on a good diet and lifting on the heavy side and gain some muscle mass. 

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 01:30:32 PM »
i'm 13.5%

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 01:42:32 PM »
13.5 really isn't that bad for a beginner.  Cutting down 5-6 % to get to 8% BF.......dude, I would just build mass if I were you.  At 13% you will see good muscle definition IMO.

tadolfi

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 07:20:39 PM »
I think ones needs both for overall muscle development.....if that is your goal.  Muscles are made up of 50% fast twitch (lower reps higher weight) and 50% slow twitch (lower weight higher reps) muscle fibers, roughly.  To increase growth, one must exhaust as many fibers as possible.  Failure at around 10 reps is known to exhaust a majority of both.  Since training needs to be mixed up a bit, I will incorporate programs that concentrate on the different muscle fibers almost on a weekly basis.  What are the effects of higher reps?  Muscle endurance since you are using your slow twitch muscle fibers.    I don't think your slow twitch muscle fibers attribute to any more seperation or definition of muscles, but rather your diet, intensity and form.

Good Post!!
This is on the money in my opinion.
And it shows that everyone has to decide what works best for themselves.
It's not magic - but it can be a lot of trial and error.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 09:30:21 PM »
I've always been under the impression that high reps will bring out more striations and more definition in the muscle, but is this true? 

It's not true. What gives you definition is losing fat and water while maintaining muscle. High reps give you a better pump and brings out vascularity, which is probably what led to this misconception.

TNTBOOM

• Getbig III
  • die or diet
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006, 06:49:53 AM »
It's not true. What gives you definition is losing fat and water while maintaining muscle. High reps give you a better pump and brings out vascularity, which is probably what led to this misconception.
i agree to this 100%

Kvon

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2006, 04:51:49 PM »
Yeah, but how high of reps are you doing when you say high rep?  I know what you mean about just goin through the motions, but if you keep it around 10-12 reps that would still be high rep and you might get a good burn like that too.

I was doing like 15-20 reps, and it sucked ass.  I tried some 10-12 and they feel alot better.

This past week, I went back to heavy sets but I've been throwing in some high reps (10-12) here and there; this feels alot better than the few weeks I spent doing just the high reps.  I think I'll stick with this for the next month or two with the cardio and hopefully I won't shrink up.  Thanks for everybody's input.

-Kevin

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2006, 07:50:34 AM »
I higher rep  workout seems more exhausting than a lower rep heavy weight program.....

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 09:51:23 AM »
Ive tried doing high rep low weight workouts.  I acutally worked out with  a guy at my gym once doing high rep low weight and maybe a minute rest.  I hated it it really tired me out to quickly .  I think for mass you need the heavy weight 8-10 reps, and a rest period between sets where you can give 100% Ill do a burn out sometimes of low weight high rep on a particular excercise.