Author Topic: Was Flex Wheeler Lazy?  (Read 26169 times)

MrHat

• Getbig II
Was Flex Wheeler Lazy?
« on: March 30, 2006, 10:19:10 AM »
Hi,

I keep hearing it banded about that flex was lazy when it came to training!? how so and how lazy was he? I mean to build a figure like his, genetics and drugs aside must have took him some long hard hours in the gym right?  :)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Re: Was Flex Wheeler Lazy?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »
I have a clip from Flex Wheelers video and he says something about levrone as he is getting into a set of cable rows, not sure if that has anything to do with what Levrone was saying about "all that cable bullshit."
bodybuildersreality.com

MCat

• Getbig II
  • I'm just sayin'
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 04:15:29 PM »
Yates has said himself that Flex was the most gifted bodybuileder ever, and all he needed to be the greatest was a little dedication.  He really loved to eat like shit and train like a puss.  My trainer worked with flex for a while and he said that he would be more muscular and defined then 99% of the population even if he never lifted.
Dominated

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »
I thought he ate good, I remember watching the olympia prep video and he was having a sugar drink beforre trianing cause he said he was tired, might have been the slin kicking in, but I thought being a pro he would pull a Branch and totally deplete for weeks on end, when so much is on the line come contest time. I think it was not a lack of motivation but he always doubted himself in what he was doing with his body and what he was putting into it, I think it made him guilt ridden, most guys can shrug it off and keep playing denial all the while you could tell flex was just wanting to get it over with.

Slick Vic

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 05:05:33 PM »
Lazy or not, the man was AWESOME!  8)

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 05:18:59 PM »
how can you call the man lazy. he has gone down as one of the greatest bodybuilders ever and hes getting shit because he didnt turn out to be the greatest ever
P

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 06:29:46 PM »
are you guys not proud of the way you look?
P

MrHat

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 12:12:09 AM »
I wonder what his training routine was like i.e how many sets/exercises how many days a week etc.etc
I can remember Flex saying that he "didnt know how people could body build without the drugs" Anyone got any pics of him before he ever lifted weights?

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 03:19:21 AM »
You obviously haven't read his book -there's pictures of him in that before he started training.  ;)

MrHat

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 04:02:49 AM »
You obviously haven't read his book -there's pictures of him in that before he started training.  ;)

Thank's! anyone got a scan?  :)

420 Diesel

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 07:45:48 AM »

you gained 40 lbs of muscle and you're still smaller than some people here?

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 03:33:05 PM »
yes sadly. my starting weight was 120 pounds. i have a picture here where i weigh about 120 at 5'11" !!! My highest weight ever was 191 and i was kinda fatty 36 inch waist. Right now I'm 180 with 33.75 inch waist. Arms are 15.  Highest has been 15.5.

body88

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 06:18:05 PM »
I wonder what his training routine was like i.e how many sets/exercises how many days a week etc.etc
I can remember Flex saying that he "didnt know how people could body build without the drugs" Anyone got any pics of him before he ever lifted weights?

You hit the nail on the head... Flex took juice from day one. he has admitted it. he said he juiced for 20 yrs straight. Flex had amazing SHAPE.... Raw genetics alone flex had some great ones...But not as good as guys like coleman and comier who would be big and ripped just from good old food and weights. Flex looked amazing but his genetics where more drug responding than raw size and condition. He had a tiny frame with very full muscles...

400kwgtr

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 02:18:06 PM »
I fail to see how Coleman has better genetics than flex wheeler??? Ronnies triceps are the worst any olympia has ever had. Not to mention his abs they are crap as well, they are defined and ripped but genetically they are totally crap. Cormier has awesome genetics and should be my olympia over ronnie.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 02:20:36 PM »
cormier has to come in shape

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 03:08:56 PM »
To answer that question...look at how he bounced back from adversity. In 1994 he broke his neck in tow places, trained came back in 1995 to win a controversial win at the Ironman, got second at the Arnold  (should have won). And placed 8th at the O.

Now in 2002 he had the kidney transplant, trained "natural", weighed about 212-14 and got seveth place.

How many of the pros could have done that. Cormier can't even get his drug problem straight. Jean P. Fux, tore a quad, and has never been the same. But this man BROKE HIS NECK.

If that that not is lazy...

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 04:14:08 PM »
who broke their neck?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 04:54:10 AM »
I remember seeing an article where Ronnie Coleman said that Flex Wheeler did not like training and only used it as a means to an end.  Ronnie on the other hand said that he loved training and couldn't imagine being a pro bodybuilder and not enjoying training.  That says something about Flex IMO.

Flex also said that he would stop training after he retired, and he got flack from all the pros about that. Well, Shawn Ray had retired and stopped training and got fat, and now is back training....Flex on the other hand is still training, never stopped training
who broke their neck?
Flex did.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2006, 05:42:54 PM »
flex did a fight? what? last pics i saw of him he was fatty and not too big.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 08:29:32 PM »
Flex continued to train when he dropped down to a physique that appeared to be smaller than a current Tom Prince?  I remember seeing pics of him in FLEX looking tiny and then he got bigger when he did that fight at the ASC.  I was under the impression that when he got that sick and small that he stopped training.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

He he did drop down in weight, so I guess he did stop traing for a period, to heal I guess.
flex did a fight? what? last pics i saw of him he was fatty and not too big.

Yeah, the fight was a point (read touch) karate match.

body88

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 11:41:56 PM »
Ronnie has better genetics than flex because before flex touched drugs he was an extreme ectomorph.... Flex had awsome SHAPE and fullness on a tiny frame.. he was narrow compared to a thick dude like comier or coleman. Flex had awsome muscle shape but Ronnie and Comier have him beat in raw genetics. Now obviously flex had awsome genetics we are talking about out of the best grenetics on the planet comier and coleman have him beat.

dawakaman

• Getbig III
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 09:00:49 AM »
To answer the original question, YES Flex was lazy.
I've seen his first video, Hard Body, and it's rediculous. He doesn't push himself, never going to failure. It is never looking like he is really strugglin to get the weight up. And if you see the numbers he puts up, i'm seriously tellin you. 80% of the people on here could do that.
Whenever I see that vid, it doesn't make me wanna train. I just get green with envy because Flex is one on the best looking BB'ers ever.
Flex was weak and lazy, but he had the genetics to get away with it.

Peace
D

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 02:02:16 PM »
flex wasnt lazy. 

and yeah..he fought at the asc two years ago and beat this guy who was a lot bigger than him after he had all those surgeries.   hes a warrior.

dorian is a pussy compared t flex. truth.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 04:37:33 PM »
i suggest you read "the pain and survival of flex wheeler" by john romano.     

d[-_-]b actin all cool

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 02:51:09 PM »
never looking like he is really strugglin to get the weight up. And if you see the numbers he puts up, i'm seriously tellin you. 80% of the people on here could do that.

Flex was weak and lazy,

You have to remeber that Flex was 218 for the 93 O, at 5'10. That is light weight for his height. Most bbers at that height at that time were 235-245 (Chris Cormier and chris looked light)

So Flex wouldn't be putting up huge numbers. He wasn't a big dude. Shawn Ray in 2001 actually weighed more than Flex's 93 O appearance

As far as Flex being lazy, I would like to see you break your neck and come back.