Author Topic: Was Flex Wheeler Lazy?  (Read 26142 times)

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
Re: Was Flex Wheeler Lazy?
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 06:47:55 PM »
I don't know if I want to buy a book and support Flex; maybe you could fill me in a bit as to what you wanted me to get from it.  I empathize with the guy going through a lot of health problems but as far as his laziness during his BBing career, IMO it speaks for itself.
not a book, it was a column in an issue of md with flex on the cover.

read it...but ill try to scan it for you.   basically..it just shows the contrast between how dorian and flex was treated, and tells all about flex. like the ract tht he was STEROID FREE at the 02 olympia.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

absent

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006, 07:04:59 AM »
he was STEROID FREE at the 02 olympia.

Young and naive.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2006, 07:45:43 AM »
Young and naive.

But, but absent...he said he was, so it has to be true !!!  8)

400kwgtr

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2006, 04:17:59 PM »
Flex used to train 2 hours of cardio per day plus 2 work outs in the gym. This was going into a competition. If anyone out there says that this is laziness they are bloody dreaming.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2006, 12:01:48 AM »

I am at a loss on how you can say Flex was lazy. Not exactly sure on what you mean on that. Is it because he didn't work out to your standards. Does Dexter Jackson saying he only works out 3-4 times a week mean he is lazy too?

I think when it comes to bodybuilding, you don't need to push the strongest weights, do the most reps, go all out, because you are shaping your body, not becoming a powerlifter.

Flex coming into the contests in great shape, and becoming one of the greatest bodybuilders ever certainly is not being lazy - he was sculpting the right amount at the right time.

No way was he lazy - the results, even with great genetics, showed up dedicated he was.

MrHat

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2006, 02:00:39 AM »
Just got and nearly finished Flex's biography.Theres no way that man could be described as lazy.3-4.5 hours of cardio a day!!! to get into competition shape! it' makes me feel ill just thinking about it  :P

Mr Hat.

P.S Is that the sort of cardio regime you have to do to compete?

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2006, 08:16:02 PM »
no i don't think so...Maybe Flex himself had to. No one knows your body better than yourself right? and as far as the topic of this thread goes....HELL NO! I have flex's video and he aint lazy.
bodybuildersreality.com

Acerimmer1

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2006, 05:00:38 AM »
Ronnie has better genetics than flex because before flex touched drugs he was an extreme ectomorph.... Flex had awsome SHAPE and fullness on a tiny frame.. he was narrow compared to a thick dude like comier or coleman. Flex had awsome muscle shape but Ronnie and Comier have him beat in raw genetics. Now obviously flex had awsome genetics we are talking about out of the best grenetics on the planet comier and coleman have him beat.

Cormier might even have the worst genetics in pro bodybuilding.

MrHat

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2006, 10:37:52 AM »

Now, or before he became a pro?

Dnizneer

• Getbig III
  • Meat
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
Hi,

I keep hearing it banded about that flex was lazy when it came to training!? how so and how lazy was he? I mean to build a figure like his, genetics and drugs aside must have took him some long hard hours in the gym right?  :)

A lazy person wouldnt even make it through a week of contest prep.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 06:34:19 PM »
??? ::)  are you kidding me?
d[-_-]b actin all cool

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2006, 10:51:09 PM »
but not a top bodybuilder. talent can take you so far. flex was one of the best OF the best in his day. you think with all the crazy competition from levrone and yates and nasser and ray he was lazy? would never have gotten nowhere. genetics is big but when you're the top 5 in the world you edged out someone with things that hard work give you.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2006, 11:38:31 AM »
but not a top bodybuilder. talent can take you so far. flex was one of the best OF the best in his day. you think with all the crazy competition from levrone and yates and nasser and ray he was lazy? would never have gotten nowhere. genetics is big but when you're the top 5 in the world you edged out someone with things that hard work give you.

Nazzer himself said Flex was not lazy, and did not depend on his genetics. He said Flex won 4 Arnold classics and countless other contest, so how could he be lazy.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2006, 03:31:35 PM »

::) Cormier can not train and be in better shape than 99.99% people living. I think that is good genetics.
L

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2006, 03:36:23 PM »
::) Cormier can not train and be in better shape than 99.99% people living. I think that is good genetics.

Cormier has that look in which you could just keep adding muscle to him. He doesn't look "huge", it's a weird look, I always felt he has, like a really big and cut football player. And this could be a good thing, because Ronnie has maxed out his potential, whereas Chris hasn't... 

body88

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2006, 09:10:36 PM »

HAHAHAH what an asshole

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2006, 09:17:26 PM »
Cormier has the talent for stealing food from others. ask Lee

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2006, 11:19:13 AM »
Three to four hours of cardio a day?  There are marathon runners and triathletes who don't spend that much time on cardio.  I doubt Flex could run a 7 minute mile and here he claims he did 3 to 4 hours of cardio.  Complete nonsense. 

BallzDeep69

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2006, 05:52:07 PM »
It's called low-intensity cardio... Grandpa... ::)

You know, to burn fat and not simply increase your cardiovascular endurance?

Most top pro's will be doing 2 to 3 seperate sessions a day of cardio for an hour per session leading up to a contest.

Endurance athletes do cardio at a much higher intensity to get conditioned, not to simply burn fat.  Triathletes probably train atleast 3-4 hours a day.  They swim, run, and bike all in one day, everyday they train.  Plenty of top MMA fighters train anywhere from 6-8 hours a day for 6 days a week.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2006, 05:39:14 PM »
seen his video...
seen him on bfto
lazy...
laziest bb i have seen on video.. alongside paul dillet...
did anyone watch bfto 2002
...flex training back....
9 chinups... on a chin machine that helps you pull yourself up... by counter balancing the platform he was standing on....
dont get me wrong.. of all bb's i would probably take his shape.... ,,
but trainin wise he is lazy..from what i saw
choice is an illusion

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2006, 04:47:14 AM »
seen his video...
seen him on bfto
lazy...
laziest bb i have seen on video.. alongside paul dillet...
did anyone watch bfto 2002
...flex training back....
9 chinups... on a chin machine that helps you pull yourself up... by counter balancing the platform he was standing on....
dont get me wrong.. of all bb's i would probably take his shape.... ,,
but trainin wise he is lazy..from what i saw

that was BFTO 2002, look at his 2002 video that he did, it was his training leading up to the O, it was pretty intense, and you could see that he was trying to make a point.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2006, 07:08:54 AM »
i havent seen that video you talked about.....
name?
choice is an illusion

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2006, 07:40:42 AM »
i havent seen that video you talked about.....
name?
Name escapes me, but on the cover is a close-up pic of him kneeling (humbled amost). Rico McZClinton narrates it, and out of the three videos that Flex has, this is the most intense (and supposedly he wasn't on  the jiuce)

jacshelb

• Getbig II
  • "guys in tank tops are assholes"
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2006, 11:00:04 AM »
I think Flex, being a "smaller" bodybuilder, weight wise, wouldn't have the same capacity for heavy work as a true mesomorph like Ronnie Coleman.  Also, even with juice, you don't have unlimited recovery ability.  So, perhaps this variation in the way he trained vs. others was taken as laziness. 

Also, I got the impression that Flex could be pretty self depricating.  So, perhaps he helped that image along by making half-joking comments along the way.  My dad used to quote Flex saying (after watching one of the ASCs coverage on tv) "I just eat a lot of ice cream to get big!"  Flex used to say stuff like that and I think it came back around on him.  I find myself doing the same thing- I told an aquaintance while I was training for a contest that I didn't mess with that "liftin weights" stuff, I just put on fake tan and oil myself up...  I think he believed it!  Who knows, everyone is different in what works for them in terms of training, occupation, etc etc.  You gotta look past the surface to make a judgement call.  Was Flex lazy?  I don't know him well enough to answer that.

But, on the "natural" thing for 2002.  Flex said in MD that he was on a theraputic dose of test at 200 mg. per week.  Yes, that's almost nothing for a pro, but it is a help while dieting.  And, other things can be used and not mentioned that might not damage the kidneys much, such as: clenbuterol, T-3, igf-1  etc. etc.  I'm not trying to take anything away from him, or accuse him, as I would LOVE to look like that on only 200 mg. of test!  I highly reccomend anyone who can, track down Flex's articles he did for MD detailing his own dark contest prep stories and such.  It's a real eye opener for what some guys do to get in shape.

Jacob

Philly72

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2006, 07:03:11 AM »
Unfortunately, I read his book and the book should be in the fiction section.  He claimed that he was getting something like $50,000 per guest appearance, owned a 50,000 sq. foot home, and put on 80 lbs as a teenager in a couple of months when he first starting juicing.  There were other ridiculous things in his book but those things just stood out as the most absurd.  I lost all respect for him after reading his book.  If anyone is thinking of buying it, don't waste your money.