Author Topic: Forgotten bodybuilders  (Read 74273 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: forgotten bodybuilders
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 11:19:17 AM »

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 11:27:55 AM »
I'm trying to remember that big bodybuilder with the red hair. His name escapes me.

Ken Waller? He's isn't that well known now given the level of status he once had. Mike Katz is sort of in the same boat.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
SCOTT DEEMERS.... But as 8 inch so stated, he can't be remembered if I never hear of him some time earlier.

I'm one of those individuals who thinks he knows everything inside and outside of the bodybuilding world ... so I was surprised when someone on this board mentioned DEEMERS a couple of weeks back.

I had never heard that name before so I went to YouTube and saw some  backstage video footage that was shot around 1995 (USA Championships coverage?) and was very impressed.

But then I forgot how impressive he was until this subject came up, so I guess it's now appropriate after a two week 'forget'....  to mention Scott Deemers.

I would post that video here but I ain't smart enough to do it.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »
OLDTIMeR, I think you may be trying to recall RALPH  KROGER~

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2016, 01:43:21 PM »
What was that blonde headed dude on the Twinlab label sometimes.  Dean something?

Franco Santerello was another that had a flash in the pan "career"

Dean was Canadian? Musclemag promoted someone like that if I recall correctly

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2016, 03:23:44 PM »
Richard Jones.
Chris Cook.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 04:15:34 PM »
MIKE DRAGMA?
Curt Freeman?

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 04:20:31 PM »
Arnold

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 04:29:32 PM »
LURKER, Chris Cook was a damn good bodybuilder but disappeared from th bodybuilding scene sometime around 2006.

I seem to recall that he was into pro wrestling for a short time but I have forgotten those details.

We have mutual friends so I'll see if I can find out how he's doing nowadays.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 04:33:59 PM »
Anyone recall Joe Nazario?

How bout Dale Adrian?

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Ron Coleman

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2016, 06:14:20 PM »
Ron Coleman

Wasn't he supposed to be all natural and then got busted for roids or something?

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2016, 06:23:02 PM »
Aaron mr intensity maddron

Garrett downing

The Sebastian homo

Tevita aloholei or whatever his last name is

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2016, 06:23:59 PM »
Wasn't he supposed to be all natural and then got busted for roids or something?

Not sure if he ever got busted, but that Ron Coleman was Twinlab/Muscular Development's "All Natural" guy. Mike Ashley was the other "All Natural" guy from around the same time.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 06:43:03 PM »
Billy "Thunder" Smith and Gerald Dente are probably better known now for their other pursuits. Although Billy measuring Flex at 0.0% body fat is a fine piece of bodybuilding lore.

Roger "Crazy Legs" Stewart, Melvin Anthony, and Yohnnie Shambourger all had pretty big press just a decade or two ago, and are now seldom mentioned.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2016, 07:13:09 PM »
Teh sarcasm is strong in this thread.

I'll add Matt Duvall.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 07:30:40 PM »
OLDTIMeR, I think you may be trying to recall RALPH  KROGER~

Ralph used to live in the east county of San Diego in a small town called Lakeside. I believe he had a small gym there too.  Big fish in a small pond.  I think he later moved north to the so-called Mecca of Gold's but ultimately disappeared from sight.  I hope he just realized that it wasn't worth whatever it was going to cost him.

Nice man.  I used to see him in a mall called Parkway Plaza in El Cajon.  Always polite and friendly.  I hope he's doing well.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2016, 07:33:54 PM »

How bout Dale Adrian?

Yup.  Dale was purported to be the second coming of Larry Scott.  Not.  AAU Mr. America 1975 (&) if memory serves me.    Dale won the medium height class and the overall and Clint Beyerle was the tall class winner and I think he also took most muscular.  He is now married to Mike Mentzer's former girlfriend, Cathy Gelfo.  Pat Neve was the short class winner.

Note the use of the word "class" to describe categories/divisions in those days.  Bodybuilding used to have class.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 08:01:36 PM »
SCOTT, Good to see that someone remembers Ralph Kroger.

I don’t know what years you are referring to but sometime around the early to mid 1960  Ralph had a very small gym on the ocean side of Pacific Coast Highway midway between Oceanside and San Diego in the vicinity of the
Horse Race Track.

There was not much construction in that vicinity back then and Ralph’s place was just a few years away from the beach and maybe 50 yards away for the ocean.

I stopped in on my way to MCRD once but the place was empty with Ralph no where in sight.

A few years later (maybe many, few, years later) Ralph opened a smaller gym in Hilo, Hawaii which did not appear to be too successful and had lots of competition as a result of Herb Ishibayshi’s Hilo gyn a short distance away.

During all those years I don’t really ever recall meeting Ralph even once.

Last I heard he packed up and moved back to Southern Cal. That was also many years ago.

Might have even become a pastor or a preacher …. but I could be dead wrong on that.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2016, 08:12:16 PM »
SCOTT, Great to see that you can recall Dale Adrian also.

I promoted a show once upon a time and invited Dale to be our special guest poser.

That afternoon we promoted a Powerlifting contest on the beach and Dale decided to stay on the beach all day and help us out.

The big problem was that Dale arrived in decent shape but white as a bleached sheet.

Four to five hours in the sun and he left to go to his room and get ready for the night show.

He came to that evening's bodybuildnig contest and performed as special guest poser (a major part of any bodybuilding contest way back then) as bright as Rudolph the Red-Nosed Raindeer .... Rudolph's red nose part... and put up with a lot of pain going through his routine.

But he did a great job nonetheless and got a long standing ovation.

Bodybuilding audiences were really great back then.

And so was Dale.

QUESTION .... Do you recall a San Diego bodybuilder in the mid 1960's who nearly cut his leg off while cutting trees with an electric chain-saw?

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2016, 08:36:55 PM »
SCOTT, Great to see that you can recall Dale Adrian also.

I promoted a show once upon a time and invited Dale to be our special guest poser.

That afternoon we promoted a Powerlifting contest on the beach and Dale decided to stay on the beach all day and help us out.

The big problem was that Dale arrived in decent shape but white as a bleached sheet.

Four to five hours in the sun and he left to go to his room and get ready for the night show.

He came to that evening's bodybuildnig contest and performed as special guest poser (a major part of any bodybuilding contest way back then) as bright as Rudolph the Red-Nosed Raindeer .... Rudolph's red nose part... and put up with a lot of pain going through his routine.

But he did a great job nonetheless and got a long standing ovation.

Bodybuilding audiences were really great back then.

And so was Dale.

QUESTION .... Do you recall a San Diego bodybuilder in the mid 1960's who nearly cut his leg off while cutting trees with an electric chain-saw?

I don't recall that bodybuilder but I will guess that he trained at either Stern's or Fisher's gym or perhaps Valley Barbell Club.   I trained at Stern's and VBC but missed out on Fisher's.  My younger brother told me he was dating one of Gene Fisher's daughters back in the late 70s/early 80s. 

Oops.  Almost forgot about Maynard's Gym in Birdrock, La Jolla.  Orange was his fave color.       

If the near-amputee's name comes to me, I'll post it up.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2016, 10:15:56 PM »
LURKER, Chris Cook was a damn good bodybuilder but disappeared from th bodybuilding scene sometime around 2006.

I seem to recall that he was into pro wrestling for a short time but I have forgotten those details.

We have mutual friends so I'll see if I can find out how he's doing nowadays.

Looks like Ian Harrison

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2016, 11:38:15 PM »

How bout Dale Adrian?

We follow each other on FB. Living in Puerto Rico. (Nazario)

Rusty Trombone

• Getbig IV
Re: Forgotten bodybuilders
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2016, 11:42:45 PM »
David Hughes

Alfurinn

• Getbig III
Re: Forgotten bodybuilders
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2016, 12:18:30 AM »
Eddie Moyzan
He had a hot bodybuilder's body defying the norm that too big becomes unappealing...