Author Topic: The oak doing some funky leg presses  (Read 16993 times)

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Re: The oak doing some funky leg presses
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 06:17:28 PM »
yeah, that shit rolls the wrong way and it's lights out

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 08:01:39 PM »
That has got to be the craziest thing i've EVER seen.
bodybuildersreality.com

lazic

• Getbig I
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 11:51:17 PM »
I try that 90' when  Sebia haven't gym like today.Its danger and fun at same time. ;D

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 10:57:19 PM »
new one for me:

I mean this as absolutely no offence to the younger guys on here, but to hear you say that you've never seen this type of leg press really puts into prospective just how long I've been training (since 12 years old and a total of 32years). As far as I'm concerned that was one of the best leg machines around........God the memories :'(..........all good memories!!

We had one of these when I was training at Bill Pearls gym in Pasadena in the mid to late 70's. With that machine there was virtually no way to cheat, it was all legs or you got buried, no way to bail out if you got stuck......awesome machine!!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 01:01:10 AM »
I mean this as absolutely no offence to the younger guys on here, but to hear you say that you've never seen this type of leg press really puts into prospective just how long I've been training (since 12 years old and a total of 32years). As far as I'm concerned that was one of the best leg machines around........God the memories :'(..........all good memories!!

We had one of these when I was training at Bill Pearls gym in Pasadena in the mid to late 70's. With that machine there was virtually no way to cheat, it was all legs or you got buried, no way to bail out if you got stuck......awesome machine!!

Yes I too loved this machine.  At the original World Gym it was great.  No back problems and you could really concentrate on your legs without having to worry about bad form going down or hurting your back.  And when you were done with a set you just lay there till your next. 

Superman

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2006, 06:57:45 AM »
new one for me:

It's called the vertical leg press machine. You don’t know about it because they don't carry it in most gyms any more. I bought one of those machines two weeks ago, and love it. Makes you quads really bulge out and it's great for space if you don’t have any. I bought the Yukon version, that's the best I found. It supports your head and lower back. This is the one I bought.

http://www.yukon-fitness.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VLP-154&Category_Code=LB

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2006, 07:50:00 AM »
Used one in the 70s, nothing special. For leg press the Universal seated leg press was and still is great and used leverage way ahead of machine now out on the market. The thigh burn was brutal.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2006, 07:03:54 PM »
Yes I too loved this machine.  At the original World Gym it was great.  No back problems and you could really concentrate on your legs without having to worry about bad form going down or hurting your back.  And when you were done with a set you just lay there till your next. 

it looks humbling; doesn't look like you can handle a lot of weight.

Chico_Holiday

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 12:40:51 PM »
Used one in the 70s, nothing special; for leg press the Universal seated leverage leg press was and still is great. The most effective design on that machine; the burn was insane.

The Universal bench and military press are some of the best machine presses around, I miss those 4 sided universal stations.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2006, 07:10:21 AM »
Used one in the 70s, nothing special; for leg press the Universal seated leverage leg press was and still is great. The most effective design on that machine; the burn was insane.

LOL....I remember we had that multi-stationed machine when I was in high school!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2006, 12:16:08 PM »
LOL....I remember we had that multi-stationed machine when I was in high school!

Yep we had the same one too.  Got allot of use.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2006, 06:32:29 PM »
Some of the early muscle beach guys from Venice died fairly recently around the same time, including Joe Gold and Harold Zinkin, inventor of the Universal Gym. First multi-station gym developed surprisingly early, at the start of the 60s. They both knew Jack Lalanne.

Zinkin obit:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20041001/news_1m1zinkin.html

Zinkin book re: muscle beach
http://www.angelcitypress.com/mbch.html

Zinkin audio interview on Joe Gold:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3375027

slummin

• Getbig II
  • BB Vips posting here encourage the growing disease
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2006, 07:38:14 AM »
Arnold only trained legs on the vertical leg press for the 1980 Mr. O-and only used 400# for reps.......

why would you say this?

and with such certainty?

The image came from the BOOK Pumping Iron (1974)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2006, 10:34:48 AM »

Zinkin book re: muscle beach
http://www.angelcitypress.com/mbch.html

this link has a great picture of a young Joe Gold at the bottom:

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2006, 12:29:07 AM »
Here is a crazy leg press

That's Wilbur Miller, who held the world record in the deadlift during the early 60's. The barbell leg press was actually the most popular leg exercise at one time.

http://www.americanpowerliftevolution.net/New%20Folder%201966/1966Millerarticle2.html
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2006, 08:52:42 AM »
I hope no one's taking that pic seriously; very unlikely that it's real-far too dangerous not to mention mindless.

To even get close to making sense there'd be two or more spotters paying close attention, but even then...

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2006, 08:56:09 AM »
I loved the Vert.  So comformtable.  I always imagined if I got under a car I could lift it.  They were big back in the 70's and early 80's

Can we do calf raises on a vertical leg press ?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2006, 08:57:28 AM »
I never got the same pump or burn doing vertical presses, with the blood running down out of the legs while exercising.

Superman

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2006, 06:51:30 PM »
Can we do calf raises on a vertical leg press ?
Yes

schwarzenpecker

• Getbig II
  • You may have seen me at your local video store
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2006, 11:36:51 PM »
Chris Cormier recently injured his back on the vertical leg press, bad enough to be hospitalized, so it is dangerous. 45 degree press is much safer.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2006, 12:56:51 AM »
flex wheeler did the vertical leg press in bfto 1996..i was really amazed that flex was doing that tough shit.usually he never does those workouts which demand strength..flex was lazy
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

sexymexyrob

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2006, 02:11:05 PM »
i used to love that press.  I used it back in 94-96 in middle school.  It was the first time i ever used heavy weights on legs. 

Big Worm

• Getbig IV
  • Really ? You finished turd my flend? Maricon..
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
They went out with the hula hoop and roller skates..........Arnold only trained legs on the vertical leg press for the 1980 Mr. O-and only used 400# for reps.......

My buddy Hurricane BEEF! still uses this device with his Hammer Strength and Nautilus equipment.

The BEEF!

I love the Vertical leg press!!! I have one in my home gym.....Good stuff!