Author Topic: with or without straps?  (Read 3356 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
with or without straps?
« on: March 31, 2006, 10:28:07 AM »
i'm kinda torn... :-\  i've never used straps because i felt it took away from my grip strength.  Here lately while doing rows and deads or lat pull downs i'm having a hard time finishing up for fear of my grip giving out! yesterday on my last set of rows i was up to 150lbs again....and it started to slip out of my left hand halfway through the set...i let down, regripped, and went on to finish tenatively. 

are straps really that detrimental? (sp?)  i'm thinking ti would be smart to use them only when i think i'm gonna need the help! as far as grip strength goes...the only thing i've ever done is behind the back barbell curls....

any suggestions? thanks guys!  :)

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: with or without straps?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 10:43:56 AM »
No matter what i do, I can't seem to get my grip strong enough for deads and shrugs....

I know my forarm/grip suffers a bit but what can you do.

Bast175

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 12:01:08 PM »
Just use straps only on your last set then.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 12:11:36 PM »
I would ONLY use straps on deads and shurgs ONLY on your last set or two. 

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 12:33:49 PM »
I would ONLY use straps on deads and shurgs ONLY on your last set or two. 

Oh, sorry if I didn't make that clear...I ONLY use them for my last two heaviest sets.  Thanks for pointing that out.

iron270cal

• Getbig II
  • The SHOCKER
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 09:31:07 AM »
I use straps for the last few sets of heavy  pulling exercise ie barbell rows , pull downs, even shrugs over 150lbs. but as stated prior  straps might neglect a bit from forearms.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 11:53:06 AM »
What is always with the paranoia about using straps  ::)  For crying out loud,  if they're gonna help you to perform the lift in good form, then why would you hesitate?
:

Odinn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 01:11:48 PM »
There's nothing wrong with using straps on shrugs and rows. But I'd train my grip anyway. Try doing deads with a double overhand grip, or do some plate pinches. You might want to look into getting some Captains of Crush grippers (get the training one first).

mombasa3

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 03:41:21 PM »
Straps, hook's. I would think it would be okay as long as your form is in check.  Just don't rely on them week after week.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 06:42:10 PM »
Its weird, I never need straps chalk always does it for me.  I agree that if I needed them I would only use on the last reps, I can see them becoming easy to rely on.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 07:40:12 PM »
Here's the thing, if you never use straps you'll probably never need them. An exception that comes to mind is the SLDL because of the constant tension on the grip.
follow the arrows

monster triceps

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • RIP slobby :(
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 02:05:06 AM »
lol, the ridicilous "OMG REAL MEN DONT USE STRAPPSZZ!!""!1" is on the roll again.
The primary question is; do you want bigger muscles or more strength?
Remember, you can train your grip separately if you want to. In my opinion not using straps is moronic since your grip will always give out before your (in this case) back muscles will.
young niggah greedy

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 07:57:04 AM »
*GASP* sarcasm wannabe mini-tris with some content amidst more of same throw-away lines n' insults. :o

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 08:22:57 AM »
Straps can be an important part of serious lifting. Some view them as a crutch, but when the grip gives out before you reach those one or two last reps, than the need for straps should become clear. I'll use straps when doing partials in a power rack. The bar usually will be two or three hundred pounds over my best DL (without straps) and I get the full benefit out of doing short range Hi-pulls, shrugs, Hacks, SLDL & DL's.

I've ripped apart a lot of super inforced  cotton and leather straps in the past and I find that the nylon made one's are the best for me and a lot of my Bud's. Never have ripped those apart. I've been told they are made from the same material that auto/truck tow line are made. The nylon straps do look about the same thickness as the tow lines in my truck, so who knows. After using them for awhile they will form around your wrist and hands very well. Good Luck.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 02:53:54 PM »
FACT

i cant work by back to the max when i dont have my straps. 
Valhalla awaits.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 05:39:36 AM »
Straps are a waste for pulldowns or rows because your biceps will fail way before your grip will fail unless you have incredibly weak hands. I could see straps being usefull doing shrugs. By the way pulldowns and rows, or if you do upright rows for your shoulders your traps get plenty of stimulation. Direct trap work is a waste. And overdeveloped traps make you look narrow in the shoulders.
The House that Ruth built

absent

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 05:40:19 AM »
Straps are a waste for pulldowns or rows because your biceps will fail way before your grip will fail unless you have incredibly weak hands. I could see straps being usefull doing shrugs. By the way pulldowns and rows, or if you do upright rows for your shoulders your traps get plenty of stimulation. Direct trap work is a waste. And overdeveloped traps make you look narrow in the shoulders.

Hahahahahahahahahaha, oh brother, hahahahahahahahahaha...

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 08:15:33 AM »

Rather than be an ass post a response. What don't you agree with?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 08:16:41 AM »

Absent? as in being absent a brain?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 08:33:20 AM »

Doing rows and most back work your arms will give out before your hands asshole. Both your arms AND hands will give out BEFORE your lats will. Unless you are "special" ::)

absent

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 08:39:07 AM »
Good work making three replies you fucking douchenozzle.
By the way, can you read?

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 08:49:39 AM »
Good work making three replies you fucking douchenozzle.
By the way, can you read?

Yeah I can read. Problem is you have no clue what you are talking about and are just pissed about me pointing it out.