Author Topic: Calories burned on cardio machines  (Read 2011 times)

sanstey

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Calories burned on cardio machines
« on: April 01, 2006, 12:57:40 PM »
Does anyone know how accurate the cardo machines such as the bike or treadmill are at estimating calories burned?  In other words, when I use the treadmill and it says that I burned 400 calories....is that a reliable number??

jpeso

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Calories burned on cardio machines
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 03:58:18 PM »
unless you're entering your stats, I wouldn't count on it

Robert E. Lee

• Getbig II
  • The South Shall Rise Again!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 07:56:15 PM »
most machines assume you weigh 150. 

F*** machines.  go outside and run. 

Intensity = Efficiency.
The General

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 11:08:26 PM »
Does anyone know how accurate the cardo machines such as the bike or treadmill are at estimating calories burned?  In other words, when I use the treadmill and it says that I burned 400 calories....is that a reliable number??

When u use a machine that asks for you to type in your stats......I assume it cant be that far off.....But I was always curious about this question as well...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 10:24:35 AM »
It's not that important nor is it necessarily accurate. More important is to progress to higher levels of intensity and/or duration, which will get you in shape if coupled with diet.

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 07:23:36 AM »
More important is to progress to higher levels of intensity and/or duration, which will get you in shape if coupled with diet.

Agreed-- ours are not correct, at all! Vary the intensity and you'll see the machine will still show the same calories burned- LOL

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 08:42:25 AM »

the number of calories burned as reported on cardio equipment is a gross generalization. do not rely on those numbers, but it is a ballpark figure. the same goes for equipment with heartrate monitors on the hand grips.....not incredibly accurate, but good enought to know youre in your target area.

if you really want to track calories burned better while doing cardio, buy a polar heartrate monitor. you put n YOUR information, and it gives you a more accurate measure of calories burned, heartrate, etc. its a great tool if your really trying to burn off that extra fat.