Author Topic: Car knowledgable getbiggers (new car related)  (Read 5531 times)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Car knowledgable getbiggers (new car related)
« on: January 06, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »
I was watching a commercial for Lincoln cars and it got me thinking. I want to get a car to drive on long trips and weekends and want it to be nice. I was thinking something American made such as the Lincoln, or maybe a foreign. I've never owned a car before, always trucks and SUVs. I want new and I want it to be a comfortable sedan. Any thoughts, Parker et al?

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
Re: Car knowledgable getbiggers (new car related)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 06:57:13 PM »
I was watching a commercial for Lincoln cars and it got me thinking. I want to get a car to drive on long trips and weekends and want it to be nice. I was thinking something American made such as the Lincoln, or maybe a foreign. I've never owned a car before, always trucks and SUVs. I want new and I want it to be a comfortable sedan. Any thoughts, Parker et al?

Seating position in. Trucks/SUV is way more comfortable than a car. The process of getting into and out a a car is a pain. Even luxury sedans.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »
Just rent a car on the rare occasion you take a long trip.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 08:35:46 PM »

I currently own an Acura MDX.  It's like driving sitting in a couch - immensely comfortable.

That said, mileage is poop (I work from home so it doesn't matter), and I'd prefer something I can beat up more - think throwing baseball equipment in the back without care.
Y

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »
I'm a huge car guy and I'll give you some cars to check out. ESfitness is right, trucks and SUV's are more comfortable, but they bring higher fuel costs as well. Not only that but they are usually under utilized by most who drive them.  

My top pick is below and I'll explain why as well.

BMW 335i Sedan- typical BMW luxury and driving experience coupled with a low resale value means the 335i is a damn good deal. The twin turbo charged inline 6 engine gives it plenty of power, more than the average drive will ever need. This car is RWD as well. I must add it has excellent traction control and a wonderful interior and sound system as standard. I've driven the coupe version of this car and I instantly wanted one. It's fast; it just gets up and goes without any drama. Its so comfortable to sit in and drive lazily or with spirit. The 6 speed is so smooth to drive, shifting is a pleasure not a chore. This car is modern, looks sexy and drives wonderfully. It is roomy without being too big, and compact without being too small. It is under the radar, but to those in the know it commands respect. No reason to go with the M3, this is the better car for the money. If speed is your thing upgrade the exhaust and air intake and have the ECU flashed by Dinan and you're looking at an easy 400+hp with a shit ton of torque.

Also check out

Infiniti Q60
BMW M5
Subaru Impreza WRX (2015+)
Nissan Maxima
Acura TSX
Volvo V60
Lexus GS-F

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 08:49:35 PM »

Much much better engine in 2015+

Really fun

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 09:03:14 PM »
Much much better engine in 2015+

Really fun

Definitely. I'm not a huge fan of the styling though, and the car itself is too big for what a sports sedan should be. The blob and hawkeye were perfect size. I had a Subaru Legacy B4 (japanese only model) for a while, and it was imo the perfect size. Lots of comfort for long trip, huge trunk and big backseat to bang out in or nap. It was fast with about 300hp and tons of grip.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 04:14:35 AM »
I guess I'm thinking Lincoln or Lexus or something like that. Not that I am a snob, but I'm assuming that a more expensive luxury car will ride better and feel more put together. I already have a truck and suv and they are about as nice as you can get for those types of vehicles. I just want something nice my wife and I can cruise in to dates and weekend trips without all of the kids. The Acura you spoke of grape may be worth a look. Maybe I'll take that advice, like I did the personal gym...

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 04:33:24 AM »
A Lincoln is simply a tarted up Ford with more fake wood and chrome. Each Lincoln is based off much lesser expensive pre-existing Ford platforms.  Lincoln is a farce.

Your $$$ is best spent elsewhere.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 04:38:51 AM »
asian cars are better bang for the buck in general IMO. Looking at cars with simular specs the asian cars are 10 grand lower often.

But if you want to support american companies then buy american.

light weight baby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 04:49:46 AM »
try the new e250

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 04:53:11 AM »
I'm a huge car guy and I'll give you some cars to check out. ESfitness is right, trucks and SUV's are more comfortable, but they bring higher fuel costs as well. Not only that but they are usually under utilized by most who drive them.  

BMW 335i Sedan- typical BMW luxury and driving experience coupled with a low resale value means the 335i is a damn good deal. The twin turbo charged inline 6 engine gives it plenty of power, more than the average drive will ever need. This car is RWD as well. I must add it has excellent traction control and a wonderful interior and sound system as standard. I've driven the coupe version of this car and I instantly wanted one. It's fast; it just gets up and goes without any drama. Its so comfortable to sit in and drive lazily or with spirit. The 6 speed is so smooth to drive, shifting is a pleasure not a chore. This car is modern, looks sexy and drives wonderfully. It is roomy without being too big, and compact without being too small. It is under the radar, but to those in the know it commands respect. No reason to go with the M3, this is the better car for the money. If speed is your thing upgrade the exhaust and air intake and have the ECU flashed by Dinan and you're looking at an easy 400+hp with a shit ton of torque.

Also check out

Infiniti Q60
BMW M5
Nissan Maxima
Acura TSX
Volvo V60
Lexus GS-F

I have a '15 435i MSport hard drop top with performance package. I have only put 4000 miles on it in over 2 years. Furthest I have drove it was 5 hours to Detroit. I have had 5 major back surgeries and I felt pretty damn good after that drive.

If you are set on a car you may want to take a look at Buick if you want to go American. They are pricey but known for their smooth ride.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 05:41:53 AM »

Also check out

Infiniti Q60
BMW M5
Nissan Maxima
Acura TSX
Volvo V60
Lexus GS-F

BMW doesn't make the 335i anymore, it's the 340i

It's not a twin turbo either, it's a twin scroll, the twin turbo was from the e90/92 from 2007-2009 before the switch, only m3/m4 are twin turbo inline 6

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 05:52:41 AM »
What about Cadillac, anybody have any experience wth them? Buick just doesn't sound sexy to me and I'd prefer American. I already have a few GM products and am satisfied thus far.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 05:54:25 AM »
Get a jeep you pussies!

...nothing like having the top down on a nice summer day with the breeze whipping through your hair.

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 06:15:27 AM »
What about Cadillac, anybody have any experience wth them? Buick just doesn't sound sexy to me and I'd prefer American. I already have a few GM products and am satisfied thus far.

Some of the new Cadillacs, like the ATS, are competitive with the best out there. Lincoln's most recent car is the new Continental. It looks good but isn't is the same league as the established German and Japanese luxury makes. The rest of the Lincoln line isn't competitive.

You can never go wrong with Mercedes-Benz in my opinion. Once I started driving them I never looked at anything else. Start with the C-Class and move up as your budget allows.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 06:19:13 AM »

Also check out

Infiniti Q60
BMW M5
Nissan Maxima
Acura TSX
Volvo V60
Lexus GS-F

Recently decided to get another nicer performance car. Was about to close on a BMW M2, and at the last minute test drove a 2016 WRX STi. The six-speed transmission and the clutch were as smooth as glass and the "Limited" (absolutely every option)+SSK was $40k, about $20k less than the M2.

Plus the STi is AWD an absolute must for NH winters.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 06:23:17 AM »

Always buy foreign cars.

Buy a Saab.
X

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 06:23:51 AM »

Most comfortable vehicles I've ever had are the 2015 Cadillac Escalade and 2016 Cadillac XTS.Ride like a dream and both fast.Im a Cadillac guy cause for me they drive great and are very comfy.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »
Some of the new Cadillacs, like the ATS, are competitive with the best out there. Lincoln's most recent car is the new Continental. It looks good but isn't is the same league as the established German and Japanese luxury makes. The rest of the Lincoln line isn't competitive.

You can never go wrong with Mercedes-Benz in my opinion. Once I started driving them I never looked at anything else. Start with the C-Class and move up as your budget allows.

Not really an issue as far as this goes. I'll pay whatever for comfort. I wear shit clothes and some other things I'm a penny pincher about, but comfort is not one of them.

Victor Venice Beach

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 07:09:12 AM »

Also check out

Infiniti Q60
BMW M5
Nissan Maxima
Acura TSX
Volvo V60
Lexus GS-F

Isnt a BMW 3-series a bit to small to be on the road with next to al those huge pickups and suv's?
In europe cars are compact and the 3-series fits right in there but in the USA?->I dont know.

light weight baby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 07:12:36 AM »
Isnt a BMW 3-series a bit to small to be on the road with next to al those huge pickups and suv's?
In europe cars are compact and the 3-series fits right in there but in the USA?->I dont know.
no no no
you need 5 series to be a real man

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 07:15:15 AM »
no no no
you need 5 series to be a real man

The M3/M4s are gigantic. I test drove them and they handled like a 540. The 2 series seems to be taking the place of the old E30/E36 (PBUH) 3 series.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 12:11:53 PM »
Unless you are very wealthy, new cars are a total waste of money.  Depreciates 20% as soon as you drive it off the lot.  I never bought a new car in my life and I'm 50.

I'd rather buy something tangible that appreciates or holds it's value.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
Don't waste money on a new car.