Author Topic: Dog owner fatally mauled by Staffordshire bull terrier while interviewed by BBC  (Read 5958 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Dog owner fatally mauled by Staffordshire bull terrier while he was being 'interviewed for BBC documentary'

A dog owner mauled to death by his Staffordshire bull terrier was allegedly being interviewed by the BBC when the horrific attack took place.

Police say that a 41-year-old man died in Wood Green, North London, after being bitten on the neck by his pet dog.

But it has now been claimed that BBC staff were present during the filming of a documentary when the dog fatally attacked its owner.

In a statement to Sky, the BBC said: ‘We are aware of an incident but we cannot comment any further as it’s an ongoing investigation.’

The man’s cause of death was recorded as hypovolemic shock and damage to the airway – with the injuries said to be consistent with a dog bite.

He was pronounced dead at hospital in the early hours of Tuesday last week, after police were called to a property at 10.25PM on Monday evening.

The dog remains in secure kennels after being seized by police – who have since confirmed that the animal is not prohibited under the Dangerous Dogs Act.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/dog-owner-fatally-mauled-by-staffordshire-bull-terrier-while-he-was-being-interviewed-for-bbc-documentary-074925727.html

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
#fake news

if the dog has been identified as "not prohibited under the Dangerous Dogs Act" it's not a staffordshire bull terrier

Meta-physical

#fake news

if the dog has been identified as "not prohibited under the Dangerous Dogs Act" it's not a staffordshire bull terrier

What do you mean? Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not prohibited. They do not come under the 'Pit Bull-type' classification.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
What do you mean? Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not prohibited. They do not come under the 'Pit Bull-type' classification.
Yet, they are pit bull types. And let's not forget that there maybe people who will try to  register their pit bulls as Staffys, because the pit can pass as a Staffy. The UK will not prohibit their own dogs.

Meta-physical

Yet, they are pit bull types. And let's not forget that there maybe people who will try to  register their pit bulls as Staffys, because the pit can pass as a Staffy. The UK will not prohibit their own dogs.
Whether or not one's individual opinion of them is that they are a 'Pit Bull-type', it is irrelevant to the law. They are not a banned breed and they do not come under the 'Pit Bull-type' category. If it was genetically tested and found to have Pit Bull DNA in its makeup then it would, and it would be put down. These dogs are one of the most common breeds in the UK. Their history is very similar to the Pit Bulls, but they are a different breed. The 'Pit Bull-type' legislation is due to the fact that many individuals own Pit Bulls or Pit Bull crossbreeds and try to register them as Staffordshire Bull Terriers. There has always been a big issue with Pit Bulls being smuggled in from Ireland and crossed with other breeds like the American Bulldog in order to pass them off as legal crossbreeds, but if you can prove that your dog is not one of these then it is perfectly legal to have as a pet.

Conker

• Getbig IV

exactly so it wasn't a Staffordshire Bull terrier as the title claimed.

Conker

• Getbig IV
Yet, they are pit bull types. And let's not forget that there maybe people who will try to  register their pit bulls as Staffys, because the pit can pass as a Staffy. The UK will not prohibit their own dogs.

It's very easy to tell a pedigree Staffordshire Bull terrier for people who know these dogs. So pretty much impossible to pass anything else off as that.

In reality most of the "pit bull types" in UK are generally staffies crossed with bigger dogs like mastiffs or rottweilers even labradors

Meta-physical

exactly so it wasn't a Staffordshire Bull terrier as the title claimed.

Well, no. If it was not prohibited, then it is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. If it wasn't, then it would be prohibited. I think we are both in agreement that Staffordshires are not a banned breed, though.

Conker

• Getbig IV
Well, no. If it was not prohibited, then it is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. If it wasn't, then it would be prohibited. I think we are both in agreement that Staffordshires are not a banned breed, though.

The headline said SBT then at end article said this

"The dog remains in secure kennels after being seized by police – who have since confirmed that the animal is not prohibited under the Dangerous Dogs Act."

That why I said it was fake news. The dog in question was not a SBT.

Meta-physical

"The dog remains in secure kennels after being seized by police – who have since confirmed that the animal is not prohibited under the Dangerous Dogs Act."

Conker, I'm not meaning to come across as supercilious or argue for the sake of it, but the dog IS a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Prohibited means banned, so if the police have said that the dog is NOT prohibited, then it means it is not one of the four UK banned breeds and was therefore most likely to be the breed they suspected it to be.

Parker

• Getbig V
It's very easy to tell a pedigree Staffordshire Bull terrier for people who know these dogs. So pretty much impossible to pass anything else off as that.

In reality most of the "pit bull types" in UK are generally staffies crossed with bigger dogs like mastiffs or rottweilers even labradors
Where do you think Pit bulls came from? There are a lot of pit bulls that look like Staffies because pit bulls are working dogs, they have no real set phenotype, like Am Staffs do. That is why you have pits that look like Staffies with brick heads, and pits that look more like hounds. And pits that are 35 pounds, and pits that are 135 pounds. They all are molosser dogs. They are were bred for fighting, yet the UK plays this nationalist game, in excluding its own bully breeds.

I've seen pits that look like pure bred English Staffies. They are not hard to find, they are in pounds across America.

Simple Simon

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs

the article states the dog was a Staffordshire bull terrier, it also sates it wasn't a banned breed, the dog then in all probability could be a staff.

Its sensationalist reporting like this that gets certain breeds a bad name though.

If it was indeed a confirmed a staff then there is no need at all to mention banned breeds at all.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

Am I fucking high or does this make no sense?

Simple Simon

Where do you think Pit bulls came from? There are a lot of pit bulls that look like Staffies because pit bulls are working dogs, they have no real set phenotype, like Am Staffs do. That is why you have pits that look like Staffies with brick heads, and pits that look more like hounds. And pits that are 35 pounds, and pits that are 135 pounds. They all are molosser dogs. They are were bred for fighting, yet the UK plays this nationalist game, in excluding its own bully breeds.

I've seen pits that look like pure bred English Staffies. They are not hard to find, they are in pounds across America.
the police will check a dog and then if a judge decides its a pit bull and a potential danger then it can be destroyed, if it is decided it isn't a danger then the dog can be chipped castrated and put on a register, this is normally done if the owner is deemed responsible enough to keep it muzzled in public.

Simple Simon

it makes sense in the fact he has totally misunderstood the article.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
it makes sense in the fact he has totally misunderstood the article.

I'm not even sure that accounts for it.  ??? It seems like he's mostly describing what he read accurately, but his conclusion is just off the mark.

Parker

• Getbig V
https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs

the article states the dog was a Staffordshire bull terrier, it also sates it wasn't a banned breed, the dog then in all probability could be a staff.

Its sensationalist reporting like this that gets certain breeds a bad name though.

If it was indeed a confirmed a staff then there is no need at all to mention banned breeds at all.
The dog had apparently bit the owner before.

Simple Simon

I'm not even sure that accounts for it.  ??? It seems like he's mostly describing what he read accurately, but his conclusion is just off the mark.

No, hes totally wrong in his conclusion, the article is correct

The dog is named as a staff and also confirmed as not a dangerous dog under the act.

that is factually correct.

Simple Simon

The dog had apparently bit the owner before.
all dogs can bite people...

its just most dogs tend not to bite hard enough to kill

In before locking jaw comments.... ::)

Meta-physical

I think he's just confusing 'permitted' with 'prohibited' and not reading the sentence closely. If the dog was not permitted - because of the dangerous dogs act - then it couldn't be a Staffy. If the dog is not prohibited under the dangerous dogs act, then it most likely is a Staffy.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
musclecenter eats SBT's for breakfast

Parker

• Getbig V
No, hes totally wrong in his conclusion, the article is correct

The dog is named as a staff and also confirmed as not a dangerous dog under the act.

that is factually correct.
But, but he's a "Staffie" (English) not one of those "pit bulls" (American). That means he's better and not prohibited, therefore not "bad".

Conker

• Getbig IV

yes you are probably high!

OK i say this one more time....slooowwwwlllllyy yyyyy

the journalist who wrote this article claimed the dog in question was a staffordshire bull terrier. the police who seized the dog identified it as being a "prohibited" dog meaning it could not have been a SBT as SBTs are not on the list of prohibited dog breeds in the UK.

the journalist made a false claim as to the breed of dog in question.

Conker

• Getbig IV
hahaha just reread i missed the word "not" from the article ......ok is me that's high on this occasion  >:(