Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 417994 times)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Re: Mentzer
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 01:29:05 PM »
Mentzer was a daredevil.  He didn't mind trying new drugs and pushing the limits on gear. 3 grams a week of deca alone.

He said non-HIT training protocols were designed for genetic freaks on steroids.  As if he was anything but a genetic freak on steroids himself.  ::)

Also, all training is pretty consistent in showing that volume is the best for muscle growth.  Not sure what him and Dozer were on about when it came to HIT, but it obviously worked for them.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2017, 02:15:10 PM »
I am no pro, nor have I ever used steroids tempting as it is. From my experience training with high reps And several sets at the start of the workout then heavy less reps towards the end has worked well for me. I once tried Arnold Schwarzenegger's guide to modern overtraining bible. Never got anywhere with it. In fact it was around 1990 that a weight lifter in his fifties approached me and showed me how less was more unless I was running gear.
h

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »
He said non-HIT training protocols were designed for genetic freaks on steroids.  As if he was anything but a genetic freak on steroids himself.  ::)

Also, all training is pretty consistent in showing that volume is the best for muscle growth.  Not sure what him and Dozer were on about when it came to HIT, but it obviously worked for them.
He built his body using volume training originally.......HIT just maintained his body.

He grew but so would anyone on the amount of gear he used.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »
Shopped photo?

Not sure, it does look suspect on the sides.

Not sure why they blurred it like that, but I can't find evidence of tampering with Mike's proportions when I rock and roll between the two versions of this shot.  It think the fact they letterboxed it in this way creates the optical illusion of increased width...

Take a look for yourself...
T

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2017, 03:08:16 PM »
Not sure why they blurred it like that, but I can't find evidence of tampering with Mike's proportions when I rock and roll between the two versions of this shot.  It think the fact they letterboxed it in this way creates the optical illusion of increased width...

take a look at the bar outside of his arm.

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2017, 08:22:42 PM »

Photoshopped....

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2017, 08:59:54 PM »
Mentzer was a daredevil.  He didn't mind trying new drugs and pushing the limits on gear. 3 grams a week of deca alone.

Damn!!

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2017, 09:06:51 PM »
Damn!!

Know a pro who went to one of his training seminars back in the mid 90's. Kind of a private group of guys. At the end he said some Mexican? looking guy would then talk about drug use not Mike. Orals were run 6 weeks on 6 weeks off. So Dbol drol for example were run at 100 to 200 mg daily. Injects 1500 Mgs weekly of say deca and 1500 mgs of test or what ever you liked. Mike apparently liked his deca.

bigkahuna

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2017, 09:18:18 PM »

3grams of Deca back in the day is like 10grams of the UG stuff u get nowadays ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2017, 09:21:46 PM »
Know a pro who went to one of his training seminars back in the mid 90's. Kind of a private group of guys. At the end he said some Mexican? looking guy would then talk about drug use not Mike. Orals were run 6 weeks on 6 weeks off. So Dbol drol for example were run at 100 to 200 mg daily. Injects 1500 Mgs weekly of say deca and 1500 mgs of test or what ever you liked. Mike apparently liked his deca.

That just blows me away especially since everything back then was real.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »
3grams of Deca back in the day is like 10grams of the UG stuff u get nowadays ;D

Back then even the D-bol was I think still the 5mg CIBA.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2017, 10:36:57 PM »
Back then even the D-bol was I think still the 5mg CIBA.

It was. I happen to get one of the last bottles right before it got discontinued. Prescribed by my doc. 

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2017, 10:37:51 PM »
 :P

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2017, 06:35:29 AM »
He needed to just put that shit behind him and compete in a few more shows.
That might have pushed him even further over the edge if he din't agree with his placings.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2017, 06:48:49 AM »
What happened in 1980?  ???

Looks a lot more impressive in those pics.

The Keto Kid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2017, 07:20:06 AM »
Interesting views on Nutrition, taken from an interview he did with IronMan Magazine

Theoretically, you can become highly defined eating nothing but ice cream'as long as your daily total calorie intake is below your maintenance need of calories. Then you have to resort to bodyfat for energy. I'm not advocating that because it's not a well-balanced diet. Eat a well-balanced diet'60 percent carbohydrates, 25 percent proteins and 15 percent fat'but eat a reduced number of calories. It doesn't have to be all protein. I know the majority of my fellow Mr. Olympia competitors woke up every morning during their training period grumpy bastards because all they had to look forward to was tuna fish and water. I woke up in the morning always looking forward to breakfast because I had bran muffins and often cake and cookies, fruits and vegetables.
I ate a wide assortment of carbohydrates; often I would have just carrot cake and coffee for breakfast because I knew I needed that sugar for the workout. But I didn't do it recklessly; I knew what my daily maintenance need of calories was and as long as I stayed below that every day'I kept a daily record of my calorie intake'I could eat that cake with impunity and not get fat. I was getting ripped, as a matter of fact.

I was eating ice cream at least four days a week before the Mr. Olympia contest'again, not recklessly. I knew that I had to get under 2,500 calories a day. I was averaging about 1,800. So I was burning about 700 calories a day in fat. And I was actually burning more than that because I was so active. I was riding my bicycle up to 40 miles a day. And I was getting cut up before my very eyes. Every day I would wake up and see more definition'and the night before I had just had an ice cream cone. I mean, it's ridiculous eating nothing but protein or tuna fish and water to get cut up. Not only is it not healthy and no fun, it's just ridiculous.

You've got to have carbohydrates to build muscle, and you've got to have carbohydrates to maintain muscle. If you're looking to build mass, you've got to have a large amount of carbohydrates in your diet. Not an untold number'again, 60 percent of your daily maintenance need of calories. And, when you're trying to lose fat and maintain muscle, you need sugar in your diet. As long as you're eating a reduced calorie diet, you can eat as many carbs as you want and still get ripped.
Theoretically, you can eat pure table sugar and be as ripped as a Mohamed Makkawy. I've gone beyond the 60 percent that I mentioned. Before the Olympia I was eating almost 80 to 90 percent carbohydrates. Tom Platz, who looked unbelievable at this year's Mr. Olympia'he was probably around 2 percent bodyfat. In the last three days before the contest he stayed at my home in Palm Springs to get some sun, and I couldn't believe my eyeballs when I saw him: His skin was like tissue paper! He was eating 400 grams of carbohydrates a day, but he was performing a lot of aerobics, and he was getting fewer calories than he needed to maintain himself. It can be done.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2017, 07:41:56 AM »
He built his body using volume training originally.......HIT just maintained his body.

He grew but so would anyone on the amount of gear he used.

he built most of his size early on with volume brosef

but back in the late 70s he added a few more pounds of lean dry muscle with rest pause  8)

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2017, 09:18:30 AM »
What happened in 1980?  ???

Looks a lot more impressive in those pics.

Looks like he over dieted lost his fullness and went flat.
h

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2017, 09:59:51 AM »
died way too young.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »
Looks like he over dieted lost his fullness and went flat.

Yes, there's a massive difference, he has the wow factor in the pics here, didn't really have that in 1980.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »
blob splatz was never 2 %

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »
Poor Mike, A victim of his own mind. I have wondered if he had a mild form of schizophrenia.

Some of his later interviews you can see that the guy was definitely manic. Then again, don't you have to be to succeed in bodybuilding?

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2017, 02:42:05 PM »

Super full arms. Wish I had anything close to that.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »
Super full arms. Wish I had anything close to that.

Loved the way his arms hung relaxed by his side. Like a big ham hock. No one had that particular look at that time.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »

Unlike bbers today, Mentzer had a unique look. And it's nice to see real delts without it being pumped up from site injects and synthol.