Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 418182 times)

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
Re: Mentzer
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2017, 03:30:50 PM »
i dont know man

i wish he had a bald head, some tattoos and maybe a piercing

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »
i dont know man

i wish he had a bald head, some tattoos and maybe a piercing

yeah that would look great on mike

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2017, 04:03:17 PM »
and how come there's no gay rumours about him?

dont tell me he was a heterosexual bodybuilder!!!

bigkahuna

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2017, 04:06:39 PM »
Never noticed til now but seems like he only had the genetics for a 4 pack

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2017, 04:10:56 PM »
or 5 pack

i noticed it too, still it looks good and better than a lot of others

i dont see a whole lot of pictures of his back

dont know how it compared to others competing at that time

Rajkapoor

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »
Mike was an atheist.enough proof that he was the most intelligent competitive pro bodybuilder ever lived.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2017, 05:01:44 PM »
and how come there's no gay rumours about him?

dont tell me he was a heterosexual bodybuilder!!!

It was the first time I heard the phrase, "Mike got more ass than a toilet seat."

But rest assured the homos on this board make up their own fantasies.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
or 5 pack

i noticed it too, still it looks good and better than a lot of others

i dont see a whole lot of pictures of his back

dont know how it compared to others competing at that time

Good lat development but sorely lacking in mid back. The lower trap development. Didn't have that full "kite" display. Dickerson, Zane, Robby... all the top guys destroyed him in that department.

It didn't seem to be mentioned much, if at all, during that time but I feel this is one of the reason's  why he lost to Kal, Zane and Arnold. They were all clearly better from the back.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »
It was the first time I heard the phrase, "Mike got more ass than a toilet seat."

But rest assured the homos on this board make up their own fantasies.

No one got more ass than bob Paris..... fact

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2017, 05:36:20 PM »
No one got more ass than bob Paris..... fact

LOL.

OK, you got me there.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »
Loved the way his arms hung relaxed by his side. Like a big ham hock. No one had that particular look at that time.

Yep, his arms where thick as fuck.
h

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2017, 05:41:28 PM »
Good lat development but sorely lacking in mid back. The lower trap development. Didn't have that full "kite" display. Dickerson, Zane, Robby... all the top guys destroyed him in that department.

It didn't seem to be mentioned much, if at all, during that time but I feel this is one of the reason's  why he lost to Kal, Zane and Arnold. They were all clearly better from the back.

You're right. His back did not have the full thick sweeping lats. Still like his build though, just looked powerful.
h

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
Old CHP friend said he once arrested Mike for posing in his undies by a freeway onramp. Irvine, I think, yelling at cars all incoherent and such. Mid/late 80s, before any of us knew he was cuckoopants.

Didn't sound too far-fetched years later.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »
Some informed commentary for those that are interested in Mentzer:

The truth is quite clear to anyone who was present during this period: either as a competitor or an observer.
            Mentzer was the most popular bodybuilder in the world during his prime [ with the fans up until Arnold started making movies] - NO doubt about it. Ask Bob Kennedy or Wayne Gallasch [ sp] who was the main person selling videos at the time. He was the modern day Steve Reeves with a spectacular look [ head to toe when in shape] that no one could match. I remember in London,  Mentzer gracefully walking down the street and everyone [ non bodybuilders and especially women as well] going crazy. This is what happened where ever Mentzer went. He would tell me that he had so many requests from women that it was hard to comprehend. When the Mentzer's trained EVERY eye was on them. Believe it that all would trade their physiques for his in a heart beat.
           At the 79 Olympia Chris Lund stated that Mentzer had the greatest physique that he had ever photographed up to that point. [ I believe this statement was published in the mags also- not sure though]. Serge Nubret stated that Mike was superior but would not be given the title [ to that effect]. Which leads us to the dark side  of Mike and at the time quite an extensive one existed.
           As I previously said Mike was the most admired bodybuilder in the world at the time because of his unique physique [ when in shape] COMBINED with his astounding good looks, excellent command of the English language, graceful manner  in which he carried himself, unparalleled confidence [ like Arnold].
          However:
              Mike was often an abrasive, aloof, and downright rude individual. He felt [ imo] that he was royalty and in a class by himself . At every turn [ seminars, writings etc.] he would criticize the training beliefs of others and basically describe them as " know nothings". He would also tell everyone not to waste their money on supplements, protein powder, etc. which one would imagine did not endear him to the Weiders who made their money from such. He also referred to the IFBB judges in most unfaltering terms.
             Thus it is not so difficult to understand why Mike was denied both the 79-80 Olympia's. Many strongly disliked Mike and some still do. However the topic of a wide pelvis and large glutes was issued which can be answered with antecedal evidence supplied:
                     I recall some one saying [ Ed Corney  I believe]  that Mentzer had more signature poses than any competitor ever; which caused me to review and agree with his assertion.
                    The following: leg extending sartorious
                                       Crucifix [ his and Sergio's]
                                       Open handed back pose
                                       Twisting, kneeling one arm tricep
                                       Two arms overhead forearm - only overhead pose at that time that was ever done was by -Sergio- victory pose.
                                       One arm side [ arm extended] done from rt. or left side and done either with ONE arm or BOTH arms:  As done only by Arnold and Dave Draper but theirs was only the right side with both arms.
                                       Double forearm pose from the back
                                       AND TO ANSWER THE WIDE HIP question the VACUUM pose done only by MIke and Zane in which we felt [ due to the fact that MIke was much thicker] his vacuum was  superior. However only he and Zane could do one. Of course one of the requirements for a successful vacuum is NARROW hips- which Mike had- along with the crucifix pose also demanding the same requirement. Of course Mike had the best crucifix. Ask Robbie Robertson a person who knows a thing or two about wide hips if Mentzer had an issue there.                                       AS far as large glutes I don't see it as an issue.
      Additional comments: I remember Bob Kennedy stating that the two bodybuilders with the best genetics in his opinion was Mentzer and Yates - this was printed in one of his books. No mention of wide hips and large buttocks.
        - In later life Mike apologized to many for his behavior that may have offended others. Mike was the rare individual that had the ability to evolve as a human spirit. He was as honest an individual as I have ever known and passionately dedicated to the truth. Mike believed all he hypothesized.
          Actually just the other day I was sitting outside a car wash and happened to be speaking with one of the top amateur guys today. He brought up Mentzer and how he admired him and asked my opinion. Later as I drove to the gym I realized I have never seen anyone [ dating back to the 60's] that looked as good [ head to toe] as Mike Mentzer.                                  

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2017, 05:45:48 PM »
Old CHP friend said he once arrested Mike for posing in his undies by a freeway onramp. Irvine, I think, yelling at cars all incoherent and such. Mid/late 80s, before any of us knew he was cuckoopants.

Didn't sound too far-fetched years later.

It is well known that Mike went through a very dark period that I don't think he ever fully recovered from.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
Some informed commentary for those that are interested in Mentzer:

The truth is quite clear to anyone who was present during this period: either as a competitor or an observer.
            Mentzer was the most popular bodybuilder in the world during his prime [ with the fans up until Arnold started making movies] - NO doubt about it. Ask Bob Kennedy or Wayne Gallasch [ sp] who was the main person selling videos at the time. He was the modern day Steve Reeves with a spectacular look [ head to toe when in shape] that no one could match. I remember in London,  Mentzer gracefully walking down the street and everyone [ non bodybuilders and especially women as well] going crazy. This is what happened where ever Mentzer went. He would tell me that he had so many requests from women that it was hard to comprehend. When the Mentzer's trained EVERY eye was on them. Believe it that all would trade their physiques for his in a heart beat.
           At the 79 Olympia Chris Lund stated that Mentzer had the greatest physique that he had ever photographed up to that point. [ I believe this statement was published in the mags also- not sure though]. Serge Nubret stated that Mike was superior but would not be given the title [ to that effect]. Which leads us to the dark side  of Mike and at the time quite an extensive one existed.
           As I previously said Mike was the most admired bodybuilder in the world at the time because of his unique physique [ when in shape] COMBINED with his astounding good looks, excellent command of the English language, graceful manner  in which he carried himself, unparalleled confidence [ like Arnold].
          However:
              Mike was often an abrasive, aloof, and downright rude individual. He felt [ imo] that he was royalty and in a class by himself . At every turn [ seminars, writings etc.] he would criticize the training beliefs of others and basically describe them as " know nothings". He would also tell everyone not to waste their money on supplements, protein powder, etc. which one would imagine did not endear him to the Weiders who made their money from such. He also referred to the IFBB judges in most unfaltering terms.
             Thus it is not so difficult to understand why Mike was denied both the 79-80 Olympia's. Many strongly disliked Mike and some still do. However the topic of a wide pelvis and large glutes was issued which can be answered with antecedal evidence supplied:
                     I recall some one saying [ Ed Corney  I believe]  that Mentzer had more signature poses than any competitor ever; which caused me to review and agree with his assertion.
                    The following: leg extending sartorious
                                       Crucifix [ his and Sergio's]
                                       Open handed back pose
                                       Twisting, kneeling one arm tricep
                                       Two arms overhead forearm - only overhead pose at that time that was ever done was by -Sergio- victory pose.
                                       One arm side [ arm extended] done from rt. or left side and done either with ONE arm or BOTH arms:  As done only by Arnold and Dave Draper but theirs was only the right side with both arms.
                                       Double forearm pose from the back
                                       AND TO ANSWER THE WIDE HIP question the VACUUM pose done only by MIke and Zane in which we felt [ due to the fact that MIke was much thicker] his vacuum was  superior. However only he and Zane could do one. Of course one of the requirements for a successful vacuum is NARROW hips- which Mike had- along with the crucifix pose also demanding the same requirement. Of course Mike had the best crucifix. Ask Robbie Robertson a person who knows a thing or two about wide hips if Mentzer had an issue there.                                       AS far as large glutes I don't see it as an issue.
      Additional comments: I remember Bob Kennedy stating that the two bodybuilders with the best genetics in his opinion was Mentzer and Yates - this was printed in one of his books. No mention of wide hips and large buttocks.
        - In later life Mike apologized to many for his behavior that may have offended others. Mike was the rare individual that had the ability to evolve as a human spirit. He was as honest an individual as I have ever known and passionately dedicated to the truth. Mike believed all he hypothesized.
          Actually just the other day I was sitting outside a car wash and happened to be speaking with one of the top amateur guys today. He brought up Mentzer and how he admired him and asked my opinion. Later as I drove to the gym I realized I have never seen anyone [ dating back to the 60's] that looked as good [ head to toe] as Mike Mentzer.                                  

great post

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2017, 05:51:11 PM »
It is well known that Mike went through a very dark period that I don't think he ever fully recovered from.

Cop said he was on meth, too. On top of regular crazy.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2017, 06:00:34 PM »
It really is a shame his mental health took a turn for the worse then when he got back on track his physical health went down the drain from chain smoking and his overweight pot belly. He was definitely dedicated to training in a precise manner. Any of you guys ever give H.I.T a good go of it?
h

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2017, 06:18:41 PM »
Was Ray goofy, too?

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2017, 08:12:23 PM »
I stated this before and maybe some other old timers from Venice can chime in. Mike was banned for a short period but still hung out in the parking lot this was hmm...late 80s early 90s. He'd speak jibberish to as u would enter and exit golds.  Later he was allowed back in and was personal training people 

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2017, 08:29:02 PM »
Mike Mentzer is one of my all time favorite bodybuilders.  He is up there with Arnold, Reeves, Zane, Paris, etc.  His was a rugged, powerful physique that along with his training methods inspired many people to take up weight training as a healthy hobby.    His way may not be the best way for everyone but within his varying styles there may well be the one that fits you.

I do a couple of variations on his theme and find that both work and when I grow stale, I take a few days extra off from training one way and then switch to the other one.  Mike showed us that there was a life outside the gym and it was worth living. 

Of course  he went total nutso but ultimately  came back, sensible if not roaring back.   ;D  Yeah, I know...crap in one hand and wish in the other and what do you get?  A hand full of Wiggsian theory.  Hey...It's "black" after all.  ;D

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2017, 08:29:45 PM »
h

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »
Mike Mentzer is one of my all time favorite bodybuilders.  He is up there with Arnold, Reeves, Zane, Paris, etc.  His was a rugged, powerful physique that along with his training methods inspired many people to take up weight training as a healthy hobby.    His way may not be the best way for everyone but within his varying styles there may well be the one that fits you.

I do a couple of variations on his theme and find that both work and when I grow stale, I take a few days extra off from training one way and then switch to the other one.  Mike showed us that there was a life outside the gym and it was worth living. 

Of course  he went total nutso but ultimately  came back, sensible if not roaring back.   ;D  Yeah, I know...crap in one hand and wish in the other and what do you get?  A hand full of Wiggsian theory.  Hey...It's "black" after all.  ;D

I go back and forth with his training methods to those of volume. I do this because it seems to shake things up and keep the training from becoming stale.
h

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2017, 08:35:01 PM »
I go back and forth with his training methods to those of volume. I do this because it seems to shake things up and keep the training from becoming stale.

That is yet another excellent way to train using his methods and others.  I would guess that it helps you to stay mentally and physically  involved in your training.  Well done!

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2017, 08:38:22 PM »
h