Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 414991 times)

Eric2

• Getbig IV
Re: Mentzer
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2017, 08:44:44 PM »
That is yet another excellent way to train using his methods and others.  I would guess that it helps you to stay mentally and physically  involved in your training.  Well done!

Yep. I can remember when myself and my training partner decided to buy his H.I.T program back in the early 90s. It was pretty cool the excitement we had for the possibility of a training protocol that could yield gains in less time. We went after it and we blew up pretty good after a month or so. I realize that any change in training can have a positive effect so I took the results with a grain of salt. However I still remember the feeling we had is something new. Almost like a secret from the others that where milling around in the gym doing the same shit day in day out. We went in and where done in literally 25 min and made gains. Some of the no nothings in the gym where confused. After a couple months on it it became stale and that's when I realized a wholistic training g approach was best. To mix things up every couple of months was best.
h

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2017, 08:49:21 PM »
h

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2017, 08:51:03 PM »
h

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2017, 09:54:27 PM »

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2017, 10:30:36 PM »
I always felt Mike Mentzer was overrated.

I know he was pretty popular with the fans and had a catchy training gimmick, but for me he always seemed incomplete. When he is standing alone in a B&W photo, he looks good. Put him in a tough lineup with big guys and he would fade away. Like Danny Padilla to some degree. Alone in a B&W photo Danny looked unbeatable. In a lineup among mass monsters Danny just disappeared. Right or wrong, that was the truth.

Mentzer had below average calves, soft hammies, terrible glutes, weak inner back thickness, subpar traps, thin chest, and a wide blocky waist compared to the best of his peer group. That's not to say Mentzer was terrible, just the opposite, but it gave the Weiders what they needed to make sure Mike would never beat their Golden Boys. When Mike started writing anti-establishment articles (with Arthur Jones from Nautilus fame?) the Weiders phased him out and the downward spiral began.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2017, 01:02:56 AM »
I always felt Mike Mentzer was overrated.

I know he was pretty popular with the fans and had a catchy training gimmick, but for me he always seemed incomplete. When he is standing alone in a B&W photo, he looks good. Put him in a tough lineup with big guys and he would fade away. Like Danny Padilla to some degree. Alone in a B&W photo Danny looked unbeatable. In a lineup among mass monsters Danny just disappeared. Right or wrong, that was the truth.

Mentzer had below average calves, soft hammies, terrible flutes, weak inner back thickness, subpar traps, thin chest, and a wide blocky waist compared to the best of his peer group. That's not to say Mentzer was terrible, just the opposite, but it gave the Weiders what they needed to make sure Mike would never beat their Golden Boys. When Mike started writing anti-establishment articles (with Arthur Jones from Nautilus fame?) the Weiders phased him out and the downward spiral began.

You can make a fair argument on all your points but "below average calves"? Those were considered on of his best features. They were described as having a "unique, freaky, knotty appearance" in an article featuring his calves. Other than Dickerson, who had better calves than Mentzer during the time he competed? Not many. Even was better than Boyer Cole who tried to market  some "calf shoe" to capitalize on his amazing calves. The Olympian's at the time (not counting Arnold) like Franco, Zane and Samir couldn't match Mentzer's calves.

Maybe not your preference, but below average?

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2017, 05:44:30 AM »
Some informed commentary for those that are interested in Mentzer:

The truth is quite clear to anyone who was present during this period: either as a competitor or an observer.
            Mentzer was the most popular bodybuilder in the world during his prime [ with the fans up until Arnold started making movies] - NO doubt about it. Ask Bob Kennedy or Wayne Gallasch [ sp] who was the main person selling videos at the time. He was the modern day Steve Reeves with a spectacular look [ head to toe when in shape] that no one could match. I remember in London,  Mentzer gracefully walking down the street and everyone [ non bodybuilders and especially women as well] going crazy. This is what happened where ever Mentzer went. He would tell me that he had so many requests from women that it was hard to comprehend. When the Mentzer's trained EVERY eye was on them. Believe it that all would trade their physiques for his in a heart beat.
           At the 79 Olympia Chris Lund stated that Mentzer had the greatest physique that he had ever photographed up to that point. [ I believe this statement was published in the mags also- not sure though]. Serge Nubret stated that Mike was superior but would not be given the title [ to that effect]. Which leads us to the dark side  of Mike and at the time quite an extensive one existed.
           As I previously said Mike was the most admired bodybuilder in the world at the time because of his unique physique [ when in shape] COMBINED with his astounding good looks, excellent command of the English language, graceful manner  in which he carried himself, unparalleled confidence [ like Arnold].
          However:
              Mike was often an abrasive, aloof, and downright rude individual. He felt [ imo] that he was royalty and in a class by himself . At every turn [ seminars, writings etc.] he would criticize the training beliefs of others and basically describe them as " know nothings". He would also tell everyone not to waste their money on supplements, protein powder, etc. which one would imagine did not endear him to the Weiders who made their money from such. He also referred to the IFBB judges in most unfaltering terms.
             Thus it is not so difficult to understand why Mike was denied both the 79-80 Olympia's. Many strongly disliked Mike and some still do. However the topic of a wide pelvis and large glutes was issued which can be answered with antecedal evidence supplied:
                     I recall some one saying [ Ed Corney  I believe]  that Mentzer had more signature poses than any competitor ever; which caused me to review and agree with his assertion.
                    The following: leg extending sartorious
                                       Crucifix [ his and Sergio's]
                                       Open handed back pose
                                       Twisting, kneeling one arm tricep
                                       Two arms overhead forearm - only overhead pose at that time that was ever done was by -Sergio- victory pose.
                                       One arm side [ arm extended] done from rt. or left side and done either with ONE arm or BOTH arms:  As done only by Arnold and Dave Draper but theirs was only the right side with both arms.
                                       Double forearm pose from the back
                                       AND TO ANSWER THE WIDE HIP question the VACUUM pose done only by MIke and Zane in which we felt [ due to the fact that MIke was much thicker] his vacuum was  superior. However only he and Zane could do one. Of course one of the requirements for a successful vacuum is NARROW hips- which Mike had- along with the crucifix pose also demanding the same requirement. Of course Mike had the best crucifix. Ask Robbie Robertson a person who knows a thing or two about wide hips if Mentzer had an issue there.                                       AS far as large glutes I don't see it as an issue.
      Additional comments: I remember Bob Kennedy stating that the two bodybuilders with the best genetics in his opinion was Mentzer and Yates - this was printed in one of his books. No mention of wide hips and large buttocks.
        - In later life Mike apologized to many for his behavior that may have offended others. Mike was the rare individual that had the ability to evolve as a human spirit. He was as honest an individual as I have ever known and passionately dedicated to the truth. Mike believed all he hypothesized.
          Actually just the other day I was sitting outside a car wash and happened to be speaking with one of the top amateur guys today. He brought up Mentzer and how he admired him and asked my opinion. Later as I drove to the gym I realized I have never seen anyone [ dating back to the 60's] that looked as good [ head to toe] as Mike Mentzer.                                  

Awesome stuff. Thank you.

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2017, 07:55:32 AM »
You can make a fair argument on all your points but "below average calves"? Those were considered on of his best features. They were described as having a "unique, freaky, knotty appearance" in an article featuring his calves. Other than Dickerson, who had better calves than Mentzer during the time he competed? Not many. Even was better than Boyer Cole who tried to market  some "calf shoe" to capitalize on his amazing calves. The Olympian's at the time (not counting Arnold) like Franco, Zane and Samir couldn't match Mentzer's calves.

Maybe not your preference, but below average?

Pellius....B&W photos and all by himself. Like I said.

And I'm pretty sure the middle photo is not Mentzer, it's Platz isn't it?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
I remember when he lost the Mr. Universe twice. They might have changed the name of it by then. He lost to Kalman who beat him both on conditioning, size and every body part except calves. He also lost to Robby who clearly beat him too.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »
Pellius....B&W photos and all by himself. Like I said.

And I'm pretty sure the middle photo is not Mentzer, it's Platz isn't it?

I agree with you ( except the calves ) overrated , people act like he's the second coming of Christ , awesome physique but lets get serious 

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2017, 01:29:57 PM »
well he aint no branch warren

thats for sure!

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2017, 01:56:07 PM »
When I met him in the mid-'90s he was a chain-smoking lunatic. Just hanging around the front of Gold's mumbling nonsense.

In and out of reality.

He lived for a time on the beach, sleeping under the piers.

Great build during his prime and a very intelligent fella, but unfortunately prone to mental illness. Rec drugs, as mentioned, didn't help.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2017, 01:57:29 PM »
Looked like the second coming of Christ here.

Q

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »
yeah he shouldve spent all his day in his basement logged on to getbig instead

::)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »
yeah he shouldve spent all his day in his basement logged on to getbig instead

::)

If only, in that vast in-between, there were another option.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2017, 04:32:19 PM »
looked good here to

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2017, 04:34:26 PM »
looked good here to

Thigh looks shopped.

B&W photo and standing alone, he always looked ok in those photos.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2017, 04:44:24 PM »
Narrower than Heath

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2017, 05:02:37 PM »
Amphetamines will make anyone insane. Just give it time. So addictive and makes you feel so alive. Mentzer wrote a lot about his positive experiences with speed but in the end it destroyed him.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2017, 07:10:38 PM »
Thigh looks shopped.

B&W photo and standing alone, he always looked ok in those photos.

You keep repeating the same thing. I don't think anyone is making the case that he was the best bodybuilder. The fact is he was a very good bodybuilder that inspired many to look beyond the usual methods. Let's not forget he won the 1978 Mr Universe with the only perfect score ever of 300, doing the same thing at the 1979 Mr. Olympia winning the heavyweight class (lost overall to Frank Zane)
h

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2017, 10:01:29 PM »
You keep repeating the same thing. I don't think anyone is making the case that he was the best bodybuilder. The fact is he was a very good bodybuilder that inspired many to look beyond the usual methods. Let's not forget he won the 1978 Mr Universe with the only perfect score ever of 300, doing the same thing at the 1979 Mr. Olympia winning the heavyweight class (lost overall to Frank Zane)

Well, that's because people are making my point with the continued posting of B&W photos.

Mentzer was an aloof know-it-all who pushed his Heavy Duty methods to make money off gullible kids.

Of course he never mentioned that HD only worked when you were juiced to the eyeballs.

The guy had the most fragile psyche of all time. He lost one show and it drove him to insanity and then the grave because he couldn't accept someone else was superior to him.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2017, 10:10:32 PM »
He convinced me to read the fountainhead, and power factor training, hours of my life I can't get back.

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2017, 01:30:12 AM »
I think hes a bullshiter. He just understood that its a lot easier to sell people that they will get more working less hard than the other way round.
He never trained low volume at all, was a drug addict and ended up a crazy hobo.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2017, 01:51:01 AM »
I think hes a bullshiter. He just understood that its a lot easier to sell people that they will get more working less hard than the other way round.
He never trained low volume at all, was a drug addict and ended up a crazy hobo.

True, and quite plausible. He never even trained that way coming up, and by the '80s he was done competing anyway. Many proponents of the training style end up getting injured as well.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2017, 03:33:53 AM »
Mentzer was a daredevil.  He didn't mind trying new drugs and pushing the limits on gear. 3 grams a week of deca alone.

Source?