Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 418685 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #275 on: April 13, 2017, 05:29:28 PM »
Callendar was a disappointment. In 1979 in Sydney he won a pro contest. The next year he didn't have the same package.

Lots of these guys looked great on their own but faded in the comparisons.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #276 on: April 14, 2017, 01:53:29 AM »
Here is an edited photo I took at the 1980 Mr Olympia. Mike looks like the winner here but he didn't do so well in the comparisons and placed a disappointing 5th.

He followed the philosophy of Ayn Rand so figured he had the one correct theory about training. His whole world collapsed after

this contest. Mike was an exceptional writer and one of the few to embrace a comprehensive philosophy that he lived by.  

Vince, I did't know you took that pic! In those days to get any info on contests you had to wait for the mags to come out. I could never afford a subscription but would read them at the news stands selectively buying the ones that seemed worth it. The 1980 Olympia edition qualified and it was the only time I bought a mag without flipping through it first. I actually restrained myself from going through it on the drive home but waiting until I go home and settled. I opened the mag to the Olympia section and this pic was the first one I saw. I actually said "WOW!" out loud to myself. He seemed flawless in a very difficult pose to pull off. I was sure Mentzer had won. Reading his articles prior it seemed predestined.

I don't consider myself an expert now and especially way back then, but to my untrained eyes I did not think Arnold should have won. But I resigned myself to the fact that Arnold was Arnold and when the smoke clears he always comes out the winner. I remember that scene in PI where he says that even if Louie came in a little bit better than he was he would still win. "I'd put us in a room."

BTW, good to see you back. You were sorely missed.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #277 on: April 14, 2017, 02:21:18 AM »

Vince, I did't know you took that pic! In those days to get any info on contests you had to wait for the mags to come out. I could never afford a subscription but would read them at the news stands selectively buying the ones that seemed worth it. The 1980 Olympia edition qualified and it was the only time I bought a mag without flipping through it first. I actually restrained myself from going through it on the drive home but waiting until I go home and settled. I opened the mag to the Olympia section and this pic was the first one I saw. I actually said "WOW!" out loud to myself. He seemed flawless in a very difficult pose to pull off. I was sure Mentzer had won. Reading his articles prior it seemed predestined.

I don't consider myself an expert now and especially way back then, but to my untrained eyes I did not think Arnold should have won. But I resigned myself to the fact that Arnold was Arnold and when the smoke clears he always comes out the winner. I remember that scene in PI where he says that even if Louie came in a little bit better than he was he would still win. "I'd put us in a room."

BTW, good to see you back. You were sorely missed.

Hi Pellius, how are things over there in Hawaii? I still haven't returned there to take some photos and see you can look up Keith's daughter.

The 80 Olympia was interesting mainly because all the top guys except Sergio were there. Paul Graham told me Arnold was entering and so I told

people to help sell more tickets. Our gym sold 200 tickets to that contest. I picked a seat in the middle of the Concert Hall to take photos.

So I saw the contest through my lens. I took heaps of photos of everyone at the judging then took colour slides at night. Arguments can be made

that several of the guys could have won that contest. Arnold, Chris, Frank, Mike, Boyer, Roger, Roy C, and perhaps Danny. What happened was that

too many judges gave 20 out of 20 scores during the rounds and so didn't separate the men. The judges who did separate them had their votes carry

more weight in the end. Things were quite even until Arnold started posing. In the lineups he didn't stand out and you could see he was down. When

he did all those 3/4 turns from front to back to side, etc., the contest was over. See for yourself in the photo below. No one else came close to him

then. Little Danny was perhaps more impressive but no one placed him high.

Many claim that Mike was robbed. Well, they weren't there. Mike was good posing on his own but faded when standing next to Arnold. Boyer did

the best posing round and hid any weak points he had. That is probably why he placed ahead of Mike. Mike looks like the champ in the cover photo.

How on earth didn't he dominate the contest? I think he lost too much size preparing for the show. This could have been because he lost to a smaller

but more refined Zane the year before. Dennis looked great but was let down by his posing. Wide, big and great abs. First place votes were given

to several guys. Many received 20 out of 20 scores in some of the rounds. Silly thing those rounds.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #278 on: April 14, 2017, 06:23:23 AM »
I think this photo illustrates very well that Mike was getting lost in some of the comparisons at the 1980 Mr. O, especially in those where you could see that his chest on that day was very flat and at times tiny looking.

Exactly this.  By 1980 the speed had pushed him too far and he was getting worse.  He had crossed the line.

As much as I love being nostalgic and remembering the myth of Mentzer, I realize that was youthful naïveté.  He achieved some great things bodybuilding wise.  But he was ultimately a meathead compared to Arnold whose achievements make him look like an ant (and I still hate the weepy old man Arnold).

PS At least Mentzer got to fuck Rachel McLish though.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #279 on: April 14, 2017, 06:25:32 AM »
You did not took that photo you liar fuck.

He did.  He took it out of his closet where he keeps his muscle mags stashed.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #280 on: April 14, 2017, 06:28:13 AM »
Exactly this.  By 1980 the speed had pushed him too far and he was getting worse.  He had crossed the line.

As much as I love being nostalgic and remembering the myth of Mentzer, I realize that was youthful naïveté.  He achieved some great things bodybuilding wise.  But he was ultimately a meathead compared to Arnold whose achievements make him look like an ant (and I still hate the weepy old man Arnold).

PS At least Mentzer got to fuck Rachel McLish though.

Ray dated mclish, not mike..

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: April 14, 2017, 06:35:37 AM »

I didn't say date

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »

I didn't say date

I'd say you have a point there, good sir.   ;D

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2017, 07:00:41 AM »

nukkaready

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2017, 12:34:40 PM »

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2017, 12:36:46 PM »

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #286 on: April 14, 2017, 02:05:09 PM »
Here is a side view comparison at the Olympia. Arnold was not standing side on to make himself look better.
He didn't have to do that,it wasn't necessary...

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #287 on: April 14, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »
 :)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #288 on: April 14, 2017, 03:42:29 PM »

Ray told me a bit about his romance with Rachel. Said she was into Jesus and that contributed to their breaking up. Ray was a serious guy who didn't suffer fools. He named his daughter Dagny after the heroine in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: April 14, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »
Ray told me a bit about his romance with Rachel. Said she was into Jesus and that contributed to their breaking up. Ray was a serious guy who didn't suffer fools. He named his daughter Dagny after the heroine in Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Well then.  You can't possibly get any more serious than that!

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #290 on: April 14, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »
He didn't have to do that,it wasn't necessary...

A man amongst boys, went home and fucked the Tijuana prom queen

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #291 on: April 14, 2017, 10:45:57 PM »

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #292 on: April 15, 2017, 03:43:54 AM »
imagine Mentzer's arms with Haneys torso  8)

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #293 on: April 15, 2017, 04:03:44 AM »

cool pic never saw it

Me either, thanks for posting.

They look like a muscular Matryoshka (Russia dolls) set!   :D
T

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #294 on: April 15, 2017, 04:19:21 AM »

Indeed.  We've all played this game for years, I bet.

Hmm... in fact, your comment has made me want to make a rough cut and paste collage of what I personally consider to be some of the finest bodyparts over the years, and assemble them into the 'perfect' albeit non-existent BB physique.... (though it must have been done on here before at some point I'd have thought...)  Project needs a name though... Frankenweider? 

Victor von Taffin
T

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #295 on: April 15, 2017, 05:59:39 AM »

Hi Pellius, how are things over there in Hawaii? I still haven't returned there to take some photos and see you can look up Keith's daughter.

The 80 Olympia was interesting mainly because all the top guys except Sergio were there. Paul Graham told me Arnold was entering and so I told

people to help sell more tickets. Our gym sold 200 tickets to that contest. I picked a seat in the middle of the Concert Hall to take photos.

So I saw the contest through my lens. I took heaps of photos of everyone at the judging then took colour slides at night. Arguments can be made

that several of the guys could have won that contest. Arnold, Chris, Frank, Mike, Boyer, Roger, Roy C, and perhaps Danny. What happened was that

too many judges gave 20 out of 20 scores during the rounds and so didn't separate the men. The judges who did separate them had their votes carry

more weight in the end. Things were quite even until Arnold started posing. In the lineups he didn't stand out and you could see he was down. When

he did all those 3/4 turns from front to back to side, etc., the contest was over. See for yourself in the photo below. No one else came close to him

then. Little Danny was perhaps more impressive but no one placed him high.

Many claim that Mike was robbed. Well, they weren't there. Mike was good posing on his own but faded when standing next to Arnold. Boyer did

the best posing round and hid any weak points he had. That is probably why he placed ahead of Mike. Mike looks like the champ in the cover photo.

How on earth didn't he dominate the contest? I think he lost too much size preparing for the show. This could have been because he lost to a smaller

but more refined Zane the year before. Dennis looked great but was let down by his posing. Wide, big and great abs. First place votes were given

to several guys. Many received 20 out of 20 scores in some of the rounds. Silly thing those rounds.

Why some people cannot see this is beyond me.  Mentzer was not robbed... he was small and flat that night.  Arnold beat him easily, fare and square.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #296 on: April 15, 2017, 06:06:34 AM »
Me either, thanks for posting.

They look like a muscular Matryoshka (Russia dolls) set!   :D

They look like well built men in street clothes.  This opposed to guys like Coleman, Cutler or Phildo looking like stuffed sausages in leftover nomad tents.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #297 on: April 15, 2017, 06:14:38 AM »
Ray was hittin McLish? I pictured him being way too nerdy.  :o

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #298 on: April 15, 2017, 06:33:05 AM »

also Mentzer's legs ;)

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #299 on: April 15, 2017, 07:43:22 AM »
Mentzer bro.