Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 418023 times)

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #300 on: April 15, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
They look like well built men in street clothes.  This opposed to guys like Coleman, Cutler or Phildo looking like stuffed sausages in leftover nomad tents.

;D ;D ;D

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #301 on: April 15, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »
h

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #302 on: April 15, 2017, 08:28:50 AM »
h

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #303 on: April 15, 2017, 08:30:04 AM »
h

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #304 on: April 15, 2017, 08:35:04 AM »
h

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #305 on: April 15, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
They look like well built men in street clothes.  This opposed to guys like Coleman, Cutler or Phildo looking like stuffed sausages in leftover nomad tents.

Whatever can you mean...?  :D

T

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #306 on: April 15, 2017, 03:55:32 PM »
Whatever can you mean...?  :D

Sheeeeit!  Coleman looks like a black Herne!  What a porker!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #307 on: April 15, 2017, 04:01:54 PM »
 :)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #308 on: April 15, 2017, 04:03:09 PM »

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #309 on: April 15, 2017, 04:07:46 PM »

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #310 on: April 15, 2017, 04:41:00 PM »

Barely bigger than Platz...a career lightheavy

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #311 on: April 16, 2017, 05:35:03 PM »

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #312 on: April 16, 2017, 05:38:09 PM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #313 on: April 16, 2017, 06:19:41 PM »
Andreas Cahling was/is a tiny person.  Good physique, but tiny.  Not nearly as tiny as Padilla but also not nearly as good.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #314 on: April 16, 2017, 06:35:52 PM »
Recently saw Andreas in a movie on Netflix called "Kung Fury". He had a small part in it, the movie is a short 30 min laughable shit fest throwback filled with 1980s nostalgia. Mixed with martial arts,cops, hot prehistoric babes, with Hitler/Nazis.
Lots of video game style action and violence.

h

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #315 on: April 16, 2017, 06:40:04 PM »
h

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #316 on: April 16, 2017, 06:42:14 PM »
h

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #317 on: April 16, 2017, 07:17:23 PM »
Probably most ideal physique ever IMO.  Huge, ripped, powerful, just a great build. Many guys after him bigger, more ripped, but they look like death most often.  Mike always looked like he could lift a house, never dieted down, or bloated.  Didn't look at all the pages, but I love the pic that's around of him and his brother in middle of a workout and it looks like Lou Ferrigno interrupted them or something, and they dropped their weights and got up in his face  ;D May not be what that pic is about at all, but I like to think so...

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #318 on: April 16, 2017, 07:25:22 PM »

Lou F seems super interested here.  Who drew that Mentzer representation on his shirt, Steve Cephello?

Why is Casey Viator's Tshirt tied off at the midriff?

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #319 on: April 17, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »
As a huge Mike Mentzer fan from my teens on, I have read everything I could (all of his books except "Muscles in Minutes), and own his official training dvd from right before he passed, as well as a 2-dvd bootleg of a seminar he gave years ago.  I'd have to say without a doubt he had the biggest influence on me out of any other bodybuilder.  Not that I ever was one myself, aspired to be, or had anywhere near the genetics to win an amateur show with 1 other person it, but whenever in late teens, early 20's I wanted to add muscle or gain some weight, I used Heavy Duty and never failed to get results.  I've also followed Yate's version, with a bit more volume and extra day in the gym, this also was always successful at packing on some weight/muscle.  People who asked earlier in the thread, or wondering in general, IMO these were some of most important things to consider using any version of his training:
-it's not he built great physique w/ volume and "maintained" it w/ heavy duty;he grew out of a plateau w/ it
-his ideas may not all be scientifically valid (his diet info  is major weakness) but work anecdotally
-if was off some aspects (no direct training needed for some parts) his work made people think critically
-his legendary training sessions, stuff of legend, inspired many of us to train to failure
-his writing was very inspirational, and well done; a very reflective, analytical man-too much for some
-he spoke freely about drugs/steroids; this board witch hunts "fake" natties/liars and Mike was open
-in his prime, huge but athletic appearance and one of few that did cardio, in book says would run 5mi. day
-influenced many others who did go on to have higher profiles in BB, like Dorian Yates
-may not be well-known but his principals can be applied to other athletic endeavors such as martial
      arts, boxing, MMA training.  The personally helped me to critically think in terms of training to failure,
      recovery after work outs, the need to some days (hard sparring) to shorten the work out in direct
      relation to the intensity, and especially how the body recovers during rest as a SYSTEM not individual
      parts affected by particular workout (I used to do a boxing workout so hard my shoulders, arms, etc.
      hurt badly and were sore for days, before I thought about Mentzer's ideas and applied them. When I
      did use some of the general principals for martial arts training, I avoided injuries better, recovered
      overall better, was able to sleep by giving nervous system a break, and come back to have more
      or whatever I had done last.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #320 on: April 17, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »

Mike and Casey, along with Danny Padilla and Lee Priest have/had the greatest genetics for arms IMO.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #321 on: April 17, 2017, 03:11:43 PM »
At the 1978 Mr Universe Mike scored a perfect 300. So what? He always mentioned this fact. Perfect score implies perfect physique? What bothers me is that he accepts the judges decisions when he wins but says the contest is fixed when he loses. At the 1980 Olympia he finally had the chance to show everyone this perfect physique. His presentation was excellent but he lost in the comparison rounds. You had to be there to see this for yourself. Imagine his ego after placing 5th? His whole world collapsed after this contest. He smashed his trophy. I guess if you can't accept reality then you have to find ways to deal with it and mental illness is one way people 'cope'. Could he have learned from that defeat and come in bigger and better in 81? If ever there was a contest that was easy to win it was that year. Well, apparently the result was determined long before the contest if we believe stories mentioned in Randy Roach's book about the 80 and 81 Olympias.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #322 on: April 17, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »

SGT BARNES

• Getbig IV
  • crush your enemies, see them driven before you
« Reply #323 on: April 17, 2017, 07:53:50 PM »
mentzer was a retard made worse by drug addiction. he was a footnote in bb. He possesed exactly 0 knowledge or secrets other than pro level muscle comes from genes and needles.

dumbass lost his mind loosing clearly to arnold.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #324 on: April 18, 2017, 06:21:04 AM »
mentzer was a retard made worse by drug addiction. he was a footnote in bb. He possesed exactly 0 knowledge or secrets other than pro level muscle comes from genes and needles.

dumbass lost his mind loosing clearly to arnold.

Actually he will still be talked about in 50 years time.
You on the other hand, will be remembered only by your close relatives, by a span of time of one single generation, if that.

Take care.