Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 418190 times)

Dokey111

• Getbig V
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #450 on: June 11, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
Mentzer had really great genetics and he took drugs.  And he trained hard. What else do you want to know

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #451 on: June 12, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »
 :)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #452 on: June 12, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #453 on: June 12, 2017, 08:51:04 PM »

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #454 on: June 13, 2017, 01:45:53 AM »
Sorry. Men with moustache all look the same.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #455 on: June 13, 2017, 01:59:13 PM »
mentzer trained like everyone else did to get his size. maintaining it he did heavy duty but not one set per bodypart. he pyramided up like everyone else but only counted the last set as the only set.  he found a niche that people would believe and buy into it. what the mags said was bull but kinda true too. saying arnold did 2 hours or more each day for 6 days etc was kinda true but ONLY before contest time. rest of the time was 45 min to and hour 3-4 days a week. same as everyone did from my time. mentzers system sounds good on paper and DOES  work a little bit as will any new training system. but you get used to it and with his ( as he wanted people to do it) you burned out way to quickly. good for an occasional workout when time is limited. yes he had great genetics. yes he used alot of drugs yes he used street drugs and smoked. everyone back then had mail order courses and t shirts to make money. mentzer had a great idea and no one else was selling it. case closed.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #456 on: June 13, 2017, 02:10:42 PM »
mentzer trained like everyone else did to get his size. maintaining it he did heavy duty but not one set per bodypart. he pyramided up like everyone else but only counted the last set as the only set.  he found a niche that people would believe and buy into it. what the mags said was bull but kinda true too. saying arnold did 2 hours or more each day for 6 days etc was kinda true but ONLY before contest time. rest of the time was 45 min to and hour 3-4 days a week. same as everyone did from my time. mentzers system sounds good on paper and DOES  work a little bit as will any new training system. but you get used to it and with his ( as he wanted people to do it) you burned out way to quickly. good for an occasional workout when time is limited. yes he had great genetics. yes he used alot of drugs yes he used street drugs and smoked. everyone back then had mail order courses and t shirts to make money. mentzer had a great idea and no one else was selling it. case closed.

You know all this how? Did you personally watch Mike train or even train with him like MaxRep did? You were able to keep track and witness Arnold's training routine of 3-4 days a week 45min to an hour?

You seem to lack a basic understanding of Mentzer's/Jone's training theory as recovery was one of the hallmarks of their protocols which were spaced out to avoid being "burnt out" (over training).  You are far more likely to "burn out" training six days a week two hours a day than Casey's 3 days a week 25 minutes workout during the Colorado experiment.

It should also be noted that one of the reasons he went to Arthur Jones was to due to his lack of progress with conventional training and it was only after meeting Viator and Jones and spending time with them that you can see the progress he made. Progress he documented and spoke extensively about. Many also have noted how Sergio Oliva was at his best after going to Florida and training under the tutelage of Jones using his equipment and protocol.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #457 on: June 13, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #458 on: June 13, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »
you can train more frequently with lower volume

in that article posted by 6 reps he was training arms 3 days a week with 5 hard sets for bis and tris

I just can't bbelieve that anyone made any real progress ttraining once a week as he prescribed at his final days 

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #459 on: June 13, 2017, 07:27:02 PM »
You know all this how? Did you personally watch Mike train or even train with him like MaxRep did? You were able to keep track and witness Arnold's training routine of 3-4 days a week 45min to an hour?

You seem to lack a basic understanding of Mentzer's/Jone's training theory as recovery was one of the hallmarks of their protocols which were spaced out to avoid being "burnt out" (over training).  You are far more likely to "burn out" training six days a week two hours a day than Casey's 3 days a week 25 minutes workout during the Colorado experiment.

It should also be noted that one of the reasons he went to Arthur Jones was to due to his lack of progress with conventional training and it was only after meeting Viator and Jones and spending time with them that you can see the progress he made. Progress he documented and spoke extensively about. Many also have noted how Sergio Oliva was at his best after going to Florida and training under the tutelage of Jones using his equipment and protocol.

100% true. Although you will burn out over time regardless.

I found it interesting to read that Vince Gironda's trainers all seemed to burn out after 3 weeks of 3 workouts a week and needed a week off as that seems to be when the nervous system needs a rest.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #460 on: June 14, 2017, 12:48:15 PM »
yes recovery is important very important. again you guys are just repeating what is printed in the magazines  they lie. they sell magazines. they have to have something more interesting each month. yes i did speak with mike a few times. more so his brother ray. did you know that casey viater used to sneak in workouts with free weights during his colorado experiment? did you know he was using steroids? ( even though arthur swore he wasnt) and did you know that sergio did look great after spending time with arthur in florida but not due to just the workouts and recovery. he finally got serious about it. he could grow using bricks and wood for weights. he never ate right he was genetically gifted. and no you cant "grow" training once a week. mike was lost mentally. he assumed if you got stronger you got bigger. and thats not true. his "students" ( he didnt have very many) simply got a rep or two more because they learned the machine and technique . but mike was trying to say they got stronger thus bigger on every workout.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #461 on: June 14, 2017, 01:14:09 PM »
^^^ yep, you're right

they did get stronger and they did gain weight but I'm willing to bet that weight gain was fat and not muscle

so thier deads and dips did go up and they did gain weight but not muscle

3 times a week can work well, but not once a week or less

Simple Simon

« Reply #462 on: June 14, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »
^^^ yep, you're right

they did get stronger and they did gain weight but I'm willing to bet that weight gain was fat and not muscle

so thier deads and dips did go up and they did gain weight but not muscle

3 times a week can work well, but not once a week or less
and your 13lb weight gain wasnt muscle either so whats you point?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #463 on: June 14, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
and your 13lb weight gain wasnt muscle either so whats you point?

well no shit it wasn't all muscle but I bet a good 3 or 4 pounds of it was

as I said before, my upper back is noticeably wider now  8)

Simple Simon

« Reply #464 on: June 14, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »
well no shit it wasn't all muscle but I bet a good 3 or 4 pounds of it was

as I said before, my upper back is noticeably wider now  8)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #465 on: June 14, 2017, 02:08:41 PM »
^^^ nice try chief

I'll see if I can get someone else to take the update back pics

had a short chat with a Greek girl at my gym,  but don't think she'd be able to sneak into the men's locker room with me

maybe I can get the tall Spanish fella that i see from time to time to take the shots

he's a ppretty cool hombre

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #466 on: June 14, 2017, 02:09:23 PM »

Simple Simon

« Reply #467 on: June 14, 2017, 02:10:33 PM »
^^^ nice try chief

had a short chat with a Greek girl at my gym,  but don't think she'd be able to sneak into the men's locker room with me

maybe I can get the tall Spanish fella that i see from time to time to take the shots

creepy gimmick...

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #468 on: June 14, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »
^^^ nice try chief

Set the camera timer, lean your phone against something, pose and wait. You don't need anyone else to take a picture for you.

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #469 on: June 14, 2017, 02:15:31 PM »
That's Roger Callard.

A google search for Roger Callard can't even cut Callard a break :P

Simple Simon

« Reply #470 on: June 14, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
Set the camera timer, lean your phone against something, pose and wait. You don't need anyone else to take a picture for you.
gimmicks cant take photos of long gone members...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #471 on: June 14, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »

kinda hard to get the same angle as the before pic following your advices

it's best to get the same angle and distance to get a fair assessment of before and after

I've gained 13 lbs and my ppull downs are up 50 lbs for reps.and deads are up 35 lbs for reps

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #472 on: June 14, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »

I agree with this . . . I've sent Ric Drasin an email to see what he had seen.

J

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #473 on: June 14, 2017, 07:50:53 PM »
I agree with this . . . I've sent Ric Drasin an email to see what he had seen.

J

Ewwwww...What Drasin has seen must not be seen. 

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #474 on: June 15, 2017, 01:05:01 AM »
yes recovery is important very important. again you guys are just repeating what is printed in the magazines  they lie. they sell magazines. they have to have something more interesting each month. yes i did speak with mike a few times. more so his brother ray. did you know that casey viater used to sneak in workouts with free weights during his colorado experiment? did you know he was using steroids? ( even though arthur swore he wasnt) and did you know that sergio did look great after spending time with arthur in florida but not due to just the workouts and recovery. he finally got serious about it. he could grow using bricks and wood for weights. he never ate right he was genetically gifted. and no you cant "grow" training once a week. mike was lost mentally. he assumed if you got stronger you got bigger. and thats not true. his "students" ( he didnt have very many) simply got a rep or two more because they learned the machine and technique . but mike was trying to say they got stronger thus bigger on every workout.

Absolute bull shit! Do you have any evidence whatsoever to support this claim? Jones keep very close tabs on Casey and there was no incentive for Casey whatsoever to do extra workouts. What did he care if Jones' theories, protocol, and equipment was the holy grail? He didn't even liked Jones.

And LOL at Sergio only got serious when he was with Jones.