Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 418008 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #625 on: July 01, 2017, 02:17:02 PM »
this film available somewhere?

Not that I know of , apparently it was a seminar in 1983 in Duisburg Germany ,  Joachim Streletz was a German champ who is doing the translating for Mike.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #626 on: July 01, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
yes those shows  was what i mentioned. but before mikes 300 someone else got it too. i believe it was carlos rodriguez . imnot sure but i think so. but it never got much attention if at all. but when mike got it it was posted everywhere and mike always brought it up. lol. yes i know how the judging was and is. no one is perfect thats why the scores dont mean shit. but mike thought they did.( at least his 330 did lol )

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #627 on: July 01, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »

:)

From left to right, Schmoe Weider, Lou Ferrigno, Mike Mentzer, Kent Kuehn, Robbie Robinson, Rick Wayne and the ever slutty man-ho Ken Sprague.

I suppose Ric Drasin was off that day.  Probably just tired from pounding Sprague's dirt star in another of those films he was "blackmailed" into doing.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #628 on: July 01, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »
From left to right, Schmoe Weider, Lou Ferrigno, Mike Mentzer, Kent Kuehn, Robbie Robinson, Rick Wayne and the ever slutty man-ho Ken Sprague.

I suppose Ric Drasin was off that day.  Probably just tired from pounding Sprague's dirt star in another of those films he was "blackmailed" into doing.

Queer post, which is sorta your thing.

Schmoe this, schmoe that - a bit obsessed with men fucking men, it seems.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #629 on: July 01, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »
Queer post, which is sorta your thing.

Schmoe this, schmoe that - a bit obsessed with men fucking men, it seems.

Fuck that, ace.   "Obsessed"?  Yeah, with the truth.  Have a nice day, kiddo.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #630 on: July 01, 2017, 11:49:15 PM »
Probably started soon after and shut down any chance of being taller than 5'8" to 5' 9".  Probably the main reason so many of todays "bodybuilders" are below average height.  AS supplementation sends a signal to your body that puberty has begun and this in turn sends a signal to begin the epiphyseal process and BINGO!  You don't get any taller.

Doctors here can correct as they see fit as I am no physician.  

I'm not sure if your reasoning is correct. You may be right but I remember Mike stating that he was taller than his father and I believe Ray was taller than Mike. Just like people criticize Lee Priest for being a midget because he juiced so early when he turned out taller than both his parents. Arnold was popping dbols like candy at 15 yo and it didn't hurt his height.

Also, during puberty, that's when testosterone shoots up and since all anabolic steroids are derivatives of testosterone I'm not sure how much of a role, if any, anabolic hormones play in stifling a man's height.

Also, I think men that tend to be short in stature tend to gravitate toward bbing and also are more successful in packing on muscle than their taller brethen.

Perhaps others more knowledgeable, like Van B, can chime in on this.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #631 on: July 02, 2017, 06:01:26 AM »
the medical establishments have said that using gear to soon CAN cause the growth plates at the bones to stop . basically making you stay at the height you were when you started taking gear. now most guys start gear about 15-18 or even later so basically your done growing anyways. but the same establishment used to say lifting weights before a certain age would also stunt your growthh too. lol. who knows

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #632 on: July 02, 2017, 11:39:01 AM »
first pic=mike at 19 years of age training on 5-6 days a week volume before he discovered the magical HIT system that transformed him on only a few sets 2-3 days a week.
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #633 on: July 02, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »
Mentzer had the type of physique that drew admiration instead of flies. 

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #634 on: July 02, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »
Mentzer had the type of physique that drew admiration instead of flies. 

LOL!

So true.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #635 on: July 02, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »
his "hit" didnt build his body. many days and hours in the gym over years built it. his hit was a way to make a buck. period.  its just a training system. no more. no less. he didnt use it. he didnt get his size with it. he got everything from normal workouts. but later he could drop some time in the gym. its a great way to keep your gains with minimal work. but only for brief times. if you use it to long you burn out overtrain and go backwards in progress.  he was 19 in pic and i think 27 or 28 in other pic.  look at viator at 19 and in his 30s when he was still competing and doing regular workouts. he didnt do his nautilus or hit or anything close to it. hell he was already a monster when jones first used him to sell his "nautilus system"  . mike was a good bodybuilder when he stood alone. but when he was with other bodybuilders he didnt look so hot. he was very small. the only good thing mike did was got guys re thinking how much time they devoted to training. but if you look back at the bodies in the 70s they looked awesome. now days they dont train the same way take to many drugs and are just big bloof balls. dont lift heavy dont train long and dont train as often.  they stay on drugs year round too. bring back the 70s!!!

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #636 on: July 02, 2017, 03:52:56 PM »

I'm not sure if your reasoning is correct. You may be right but I remember Mike stating that he was taller than his father and I believe Ray was taller than Mike. Just like people criticize Lee Priest for being a midget because he juiced so early when he turned out taller than both his parents. Arnold was popping dbols like candy at 15 yo and it didn't hurt his height.

Also, during puberty, that's when testosterone shoots up and since all anabolic steroids are derivatives of testosterone I'm not sure how much of a role, if any, anabolic hormones play in stifling a man's height.

Also, I think men that tend to be short in stature tend to gravitate toward bbing and also are more successful in packing on muscle than their taller brethen.

Perhaps others more knowledgeable, like Van B, can chime in on this.

It's estrogen which seals the growth plates. That's why Arimidex can increase height according to studies. Interestingly it has been combined with Anavar in some study to further increase height IIRC. Anavar doesn't convert to estrogen as some reading might not know.

Theoretically steroids could stunt growth, though most start after their big growth spurt in puberty, even if they start real young. I don't know how much of an impact they could have on that final smaller growth period in the late teens and after.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #637 on: July 02, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »
Fuck that, ace.   "Obsessed"?  Yeah, with the truth.  Have a nice day, kiddo.

Yeah, you been schmoeing this and that forever. Explains your "contempt" for queers and transwhatevers, anyway.

(Also, truth is kryptonite for cultists, dummy. You swallow what you're told, like you did with "The Christ." Just traded your myth for a TMZ celeb-pres is all.)

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #638 on: July 02, 2017, 06:08:45 PM »
Yeah, you been schmoeing this and that forever. Explains your "contempt" for queers and transwhatevers, anyway.

(Also, truth is kryptonite for cultists, dummy. You swallow what you're told, like you did with "The Christ." Just traded your myth for a TMZ celeb-pres is all.)

Easy there Schmoezilla.   

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #639 on: July 02, 2017, 06:37:44 PM »
 :)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #640 on: July 02, 2017, 07:55:01 PM »
Stars like Robbie, Mike and even Arnold didn't like losing to Zane who was a lighter built guy.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #641 on: July 03, 2017, 12:21:52 AM »
It's estrogen which seals the growth plates. That's why Arimidex can increase height according to studies. Interestingly it has been combined with Anavar in some study to further increase height IIRC. Anavar doesn't convert to estrogen as some reading might not know.

Theoretically steroids could stunt growth, though most start after their big growth spurt in puberty, even if they start real young. I don't know how much of an impact they could have on that final smaller growth period in the late teens and after.

Interesting. I did not know that.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #642 on: July 03, 2017, 12:23:56 AM »
Stars like Robbie, Mike and even Arnold didn't like losing to Zane who was a lighter built guy.

I don't think they liked losing regardless of weight differences.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #643 on: July 03, 2017, 12:31:00 AM »
I don't think they liked losing regardless of weight differences.

Quite true, however bodybuilding is about getting really big muscles so Zane was the exception. In other words, a bigger Zane should beat a smaller Frank if everything else is equal.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #644 on: July 03, 2017, 12:35:24 AM »
Quite true, however bodybuilding is about getting really big muscles so Zane was the exception. In other words, a bigger Zane should beat a smaller Frank if everything else is equal.

True.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #645 on: July 03, 2017, 01:43:49 AM »
his "hit" didnt build his body. many days and hours in the gym over years built it. his hit was a way to make a buck. period.  its just a training system. no more. no less. he didnt use it. he didnt get his size with it. he got everything from normal workouts. but later he could drop some time in the gym. its a great way to keep your gains with minimal work. but only for brief times. if you use it to long you burn out overtrain and go backwards in progress.  he was 19 in pic and i think 27 or 28 in other pic.  look at viator at 19 and in his 30s when he was still competing and doing regular workouts. he didnt do his nautilus or hit or anything close to it. hell he was already a monster when jones first used him to sell his "nautilus system"  . mike was a good bodybuilder when he stood alone. but when he was with other bodybuilders he didnt look so hot. he was very small. the only good thing mike did was got guys re thinking how much time they devoted to training. but if you look back at the bodies in the 70s they looked awesome. now days they dont train the same way take to many drugs and are just big bloof balls. dont lift heavy dont train long and dont train as often.  they stay on drugs year round too. bring back the 70s!!!

so when he said that he was doing Jones style HIT in 76-77 he was lying?

training full body 3 times a week is brutally hard and I'm really surprised that he actually made gains on it

Simple Simon

« Reply #646 on: July 03, 2017, 05:30:53 AM »
so when he said that he was doing Jones style HIT in 76-77 he was lying?

training full body 3 times a week is brutally hard and I'm really surprised that he actually made gains on it

not unless you train hard it isnt....

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #647 on: July 03, 2017, 08:03:13 AM »
Just because mike built his physique with volume does not mean his later training programs where false. I prefer to use both from time to time in order to break a stall in training. I prefer volume as it gives the pump and release great uphoria with the workouts and leaves me feeling like i worked everything. With hit i get gains but not the imediate satisfaction of a good feeling workout.
h

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #648 on: July 03, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »
Euphoria.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #649 on: July 03, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »
first of all what the "champs" wrote in the magazines ( most were ghost written anyways) and the truth was always different. they wrote what would sell. what they wanted people to believe they did or ate or whatever. the mags wanted us to think our heros were super humans trained for hours everyday used weights heavy enough to crush a truck etc. used vitamins and powders. used rubber bands and cables when traveling  wore stupid type tank tops and wrist bracelets too. lol so when mike said he trained this way or that it was about promoting his courses. t shirts and get seminars etc. what and how he trained and most trained was always a bit different then what they said. one time i was talking with tom prince in golds and he was looking at a muscle mag and it had him training chest. he was laughing. i said whats so funny.  he showed me the mag and said i got 7000 bucks for this article.  i dont do anything like this in my training!!!  so remember what they say in the mags is to sell. period. mike didnt use "hit" like he wanted people to believe. he did the pryamid sets and only counted the last set as a working set. so 4-5 sets per exercise like everyone else but only counted one. often he would do a few more sets. and when he was asked why he did more than just one set his response was " i do it for assurance".