Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 418151 times)

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #725 on: July 14, 2017, 10:32:52 AM »
yes milos brought insulin to the masses. tim belknap ( a bodybuilder in the 70 and 80s) was a diabetic and mike interviewed him. he was fascinated by tim who was short and massive and used insulin. mike didnt understand how being a diabetic tim could get huge. then a few months later mike shows up with a gut!! everyone knows now that insuling can and will give you a big bloated gut. mike never admited to using insulin back then but it seems like maybe he did. he got the insulin gut . just my opinion.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #726 on: July 14, 2017, 11:59:21 AM »
yes milos brought insulin to the masses. tim belknap ( a bodybuilder in the 70 and 80s) was a diabetic and mike interviewed him. he was fascinated by tim who was short and massive and used insulin. mike didnt understand how being a diabetic tim could get huge. then a few months later mike shows up with a gut!! everyone knows now that insuling can and will give you a big bloated gut. mike never admited to using insulin back then but it seems like maybe he did. he got the insulin gut . just my opinion.

Mike's first meeting and interview with Tim was early 1981. His big gut was apparent in 1979 when Tim was unknown and weighed 175. Mike did seem fascinated with Tim's insulin use in the interview that I believe was published in June 81 m+f when Tim was training for the Mr America.

nukkaready

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #727 on: July 14, 2017, 12:30:33 PM »

DarthSidious

• Getbig II
« Reply #728 on: July 14, 2017, 12:46:32 PM »
I completely disagree about Dickerson. During that period he came in first or second in every contest he entered. He looked during this peak of his competitive years like he was cut from ice with his density. Look at all the Grand Prix he won and didn't he come in second in three Olympias? Look at that picture. Just amazing just standing there. Seeing him live next to another top champ made the other guy look bloated and soft.

Also Mentzer was far from as conditioned as Zane and Dickerson.  I think fans of high intensity have a warped impression on how good Viator and Mentzer were. They could do nothing wrong on stage in their subjective eyes.

I dunno...Mike's conditioning looks pretty kick-ass there.

But as much as I concur with The Scott's take on Elbow Dicksuckerson, the dude was sliced there.  And I also agree that many HIT folk tend to exaggerate just how good Viator and the Mentzers were, Casey in particular.  I probably would have given him first or *no less than second* at the 1982 Olympia, but he had a very wide, longish waist, oddly-shaped pecs that looked very flat when he got shredded, and a huge head.  He was also a terrible poser, at least in '82...no rhyme or reason to his routine at all.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #729 on: July 14, 2017, 12:58:52 PM »
both dyke and gaysey were limb guys

good arms and legs but not so great torsos

DarthSidious

• Getbig II
« Reply #730 on: July 14, 2017, 01:05:14 PM »
both dyke and gaysey were limb guys

good arms and legs but not so great torsos

Very true.  Casey almost bucked the trend with his back, though.

And LOL at those nicknames :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #731 on: July 14, 2017, 01:06:30 PM »
:)

I remember this picture from one of MM mail order training programs
It's crazy how big his forearms and triceps look. 

Simple Simon

« Reply #732 on: July 14, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
Very true.  Casey almost bucked the trend with his back, though.

And LOL at those nicknames :D
dj181s gimmick commenting on his own gimmick posts...

take a quick skim of these and tell me its not dj.... ::)
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=profile;u=102618;sa=showPosts

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #733 on: July 14, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #734 on: July 14, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
Nothing like judging someone based on a second or third hand account of ONE encounter.

Boy, I loves me some interwebs!

Actually, I saw Mike and had brief convos several times a week over a period of two years.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #735 on: July 14, 2017, 03:27:46 PM »
Imagine reading in all the muscle magazine about Mike Mentzer being such a god and the uncrowned Mr Olympia in 1980 and then being in Golds Venice day after day seeing him in there looking like a nobody fat sloppy looking dirtbag.  "is thatMike Mentzer?"

It's all illusion

"fat sloppy looking dirtbag."

That was certainly not my impression.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #736 on: July 14, 2017, 03:35:05 PM »

I guarantee you that there were and are a lot of diabetics that bodybuild. Why would Mike think there was any connection between being a diabetic and being muscular? Most diabetics are fat. And it's not having diabetes that made them fat is being fat that made them a type 2 diabetic. Most type 1 are not fat.

MIke's gut was primarily due to him not holding it in. That applies to everyone. Look at his "gut" when he does. Insulin and gh does not in and of itself give you a distended belly. Maybe constantly stuffing yourself does. Just like the beer belly. No insulin or gh there. Just some heavy beer drinking constantly pushing your stomach out.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #737 on: July 14, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »

Pellius. See this is what I mean regarding wide hips in comparison with his waist.

DarthSidious

• Getbig II
« Reply #738 on: July 14, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »
dj181s gimmick commenting on his own gimmick posts...

take a quick skim of these and tell me its not dj.... ::)
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=profile;u=102618;sa=showPosts

Don't be an asshole.  I've already established my previous handles and make no bones about that.  Anyone with a modicum of intelligence could clearly see I've nothing to do with djabcxwz apart from half-agreeing him vis-à-vis the notion that so-called hit champs tended to be limb-dominant.

Aren't you the older guy pepping for a show?  Someone I wished the best, and who I thought I said should do very well?

Maybe I forgot to post said messages, but I meant to.  

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #739 on: July 14, 2017, 03:57:58 PM »
yes lots of insulin with beer drinking. it only takes 67 grams of fast acting carbs to cause an insulin release. so a ber hashan that ( most do some donti kinow) so if your drinking alot of beer you get alot of insulin released. and yes alcohol causes stomach inflamation too plus it stretches your gut out. when mike was in contest mode he ate carbs and had alcohol every nite ( he said he used it to help relax) lol

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #740 on: July 15, 2017, 01:06:17 AM »
Pellius. See this is what I mean regarding wide hips in comparison with his waist.

When you do a "reply" it doesn't include the attached pics anymore. You have to do it separately.
Open pic in another tab then copy/paste into the "image" function in your reply so I know what
you are referring to.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #741 on: July 15, 2017, 01:16:57 AM »
yes lots of insulin with beer drinking. it only takes 67 grams of fast acting carbs to cause an insulin release. so a ber hashan that ( most do some donti kinow) so if your drinking alot of beer you get alot of insulin released. and yes alcohol causes stomach inflamation too plus it stretches your gut out. when mike was in contest mode he ate carbs and had alcohol every nite ( he said he used it to help relax) lol

I don't see how insulin per se, the actual mechanics, will cause a distended stomach. Same with HGH.

They give AIDS patients and children tons of hgh and no distended stomach. Millions of diabetics use tons of insulin, including my aunt, with no distended stomach. I want to distinguish between a fatso stomach and a distended gut. My uncle is the classic skinny/fat. Skinny arms/ skinny legs, narrow shoulders but distended belly. Loves his beer drinking. He even comments on how his stomach protrudes when he drinks while patting his belly and claiming it's a trophy of the good life. lol!

I can see the mechanics of stuffing your belly with food and liquids over the course of many years and make your gut protrude but I can't see how slin/gh stretches your belly.

Would be interested in Van B's opinion.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #742 on: July 15, 2017, 01:20:31 AM »
No Homo?

Never even crossed my mind that this comment could also apply to gays. And I don't think
it crossed the mind of the writer either. But I understand this is getbig and over the years
it's morphed into a very gay centric board. Seems no matter what is written here there's always someone who can find a gay angle.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #743 on: July 15, 2017, 04:16:39 AM »

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #744 on: July 15, 2017, 04:27:00 AM »
When you do a "reply" it doesn't include the attached pics anymore. You have to do it separately.
Open pic in another tab then copy/paste into the "image" function in your reply so I know what
you are referring to.

If you click the  text on the quote from my post it takes you to the pertinent image, but either way:

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #745 on: July 15, 2017, 06:09:22 AM »
Don't be an asshole.  I've already established my previous handles and make no bones about that.  Anyone with a modicum of intelligence could clearly see I've nothing to do with djabcxwz apart from half-agreeing him vis-à-vis the notion that so-called hit champs tended to be limb-dominant.

Aren't you the older guy pepping for a show?  Someone I wished the best, and who I thought I said should do very well?

Maybe I forgot to post said messages, but I meant to.  

it's just a typical troll tactic from this turd

his usual route is to claim your a gimmick and not the ooriginal poster

although I will admit is was pretty cool that he made that spermataste dork melt and end up getting banned from the boards

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #746 on: July 15, 2017, 06:14:10 AM »
growth hormone alone doesnt cause a big gut. using alot of it can cause the intestines to grow to. ( growth hormone is not site specific nor muscle specific per se)  insulin doesnt cause it either when used in small amounts. does a bodybuilder ever use ANYTHING in small amounts? you need the carbs( food) to stay alive when using insulin. more food more insulin more storage( size) eating alot distends stomach. insulin stores food. add in growth which increases your blood sugar so now you use more insulin and there you go. a viscious circle. insuline can add some muscle . growth just helps the scales get bigger numbers( and can add some muscle)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #747 on: July 15, 2017, 06:23:41 AM »
growth hormone alone doesnt cause a big gut. using alot of it can cause the intestines to grow to. ( growth hormone is not site specific nor muscle specific per se)  insulin doesnt cause it either when used in small amounts. does a bodybuilder ever use ANYTHING in small amounts? you need the carbs( food) to stay alive when using insulin. more food more insulin more storage( size) eating alot distends stomach. insulin stores food. add in growth which increases your blood sugar so now you use more insulin and there you go. a viscious circle. insuline can add some muscle . growth just helps the scales get bigger numbers( and can add some muscle)

you're a pretty smart dude

how long you been doing this hobby?

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #748 on: July 15, 2017, 01:31:35 PM »
im 53 been at it since 12. been around and seen alot. thanks.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #749 on: July 15, 2017, 02:05:48 PM »

Ah, no.