Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 417646 times)

Simple Simon

Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #975 on: September 26, 2017, 07:46:44 AM »
mike was an ok bb. but he was sooo wrong about training. if he were right and all you needed to do was go to failure and be done per body part. why reps? say you can bench 300 for 1 rep. put 310 on it try to get it up then have a little help( thats positive failure) then hold it at the top until you cant no  longer ( static failure) then lower it slow as you can( negative failure) and bam. your done for chest. 1 rep! max weights and failure. acccording to mike you dont need a pump. just failure. so one rep per body part and your done.  right?  lmao. he was such a tool.but he says 6-8 reps cuz research shows thats the best for building muscle. but i thought failure was?  lol      heavy weights 6-10 sets per bodypart 4-12 reps with one pump set and your done.

hi halo...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #976 on: September 26, 2017, 08:10:41 AM »
hi halo...

actually its more about drugs and stressing the muscle

it you got the right drugs and the right genes you can build an 18 inch arm not curling more than 60 pounds with a barbell

Simple Simon

« Reply #977 on: September 26, 2017, 08:14:14 AM »
actually its more about drugs and stressing the muscle

it you got the right drugs and the right genes you can build an 18 inch arm not curling more than 60 pounds with a barbell

correct...
proof is in the pudding..

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #978 on: September 26, 2017, 09:00:35 AM »
correct...
proof is in the pudding..

have you seen that study they did with diff doses of test?

it was 25, 50, 125, 300, and 600 mg per week

the first 2 gained fat the middle stayed in homostatis and the 300 and 600 gained lean muscle (no bloat or water weight gain supposedly)

the 300 gained like 8-9 lean pounds no water

the 600 gained 17 fucking lean pounds no water

and get this shit.... NONE of the participants touched a fucking weight or did any training at all

i dont fucking belive that though... ZERO TRAINING and adding 17 pounds of lean dry muscle tissue in 10 weeks?????

do you believe it?

imho you still gotta train amd stress the muscle somewhat, but this study showed all yoi gotta do is inject and you'll add pounds and pounds of dry muscle  :o

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #979 on: September 26, 2017, 12:29:12 PM »
have you seen that study they did with diff doses of test?

it was 25, 50, 125, 300, and 600 mg per week

the first 2 gained fat the middle stayed in homostatis and the 300 and 600 gained lean muscle (no bloat or water weight gain supposedly)

the 300 gained like 8-9 lean pounds no water

the 600 gained 17 fucking lean pounds no water

and get this shit.... NONE of the participants touched a fucking weight or did any training at all

i dont fucking belive that though... ZERO TRAINING and adding 17 pounds of lean dry muscle tissue in 10 weeks?????

do you believe it?

imho you still gotta train amd stress the muscle somewhat, but this study showed all yoi gotta do is inject and you'll add pounds and pounds of dry muscle  :o

Of course lifting is needed but steroids were developed to build muscle. Give an untrained person steroids and they will build muscle with out lifting a weight. There are limitations of course but there are for people who lift too.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #980 on: September 26, 2017, 12:40:27 PM »

Of course lifting is needed but steroids were developed to build muscle. Give an untrained person steroids and they will build muscle with out lifting a weight. There are limitations of course but there are for people who lift too.

thats true, but 17 pounds of real muscle only in 10 weeks?

hell it took me 3 good years to add 5-6 pounds of lean dry tissue and i was on test, tren, deca, dbol, drol lol

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #981 on: September 26, 2017, 01:43:15 PM »
that's true, but 17 pounds of real muscle only in 10 weeks?

hell it took me 3 good years to add 5-6 pounds of lean dry tissue and i was on test, tren, deca, dbol, drol lol

Perhaps - Have you Ever thought that you don't have very good genetics for building muscle tissue.
you maybe better suited to long distance running / endurance sports

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #982 on: September 26, 2017, 01:45:19 PM »
thats true, but 17 pounds of real muscle only in 10 weeks?

Depends on the people they used for this experiment. If they were emaciated from the start and had never touched a weight in their lives I could see it being true. When you first used steroids was it the first time that you ever went to a gym also? I would guess not. 

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #983 on: September 26, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »

Perhaps - Have you Ever thought that you don't have very good genetics for building muscle tissue.
you maybe better suited to long distance running / endurance sports

i dont have good "size" genetics but i do have good "shape" genetics

heres my arm after being off gear for 9 months

id say i have slow twitch in my legs and fast in my shoulders and arms as i can punch very hard, actually i got a strong ass too as i can hip thrust almost 500 pounds @ a current bodyweight of 148  8)

strong ass and shoulders equal strong punch i guess

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #984 on: September 26, 2017, 02:11:06 PM »
i dont have good "size" genetics but i do have good "shape" genetics

heres my arm after being off gear for 9 months

id say i have slow twitch in my legs and fast in my shoulders and arms as i can punch very hard, actually i got a strong ass too as i can hip thrust almost 500 pounds @ a current bodyweight of 148  8)

strong ass and shoulders equal strong punch i guess

we all have different genetic abilities - Mine Good enough for National & international level Powerlifting & bodybuilding & Not much good for playing Uk football or US basketball to make loads of $. :'(

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #985 on: September 26, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »

we all have different genetic abilities - Mine Good enough for National & international level Powerlifting & bodybuilding & Not much good for playing Uk football or US basketball to make loads of $. :'(

that's true

baseball or basketball are better for the $$$ then football though, as the average player only plays 5 years or so before injuries do them in 

basketball players can play til 35 or so and baseball up to even 40

or golf, but that isnt a sport

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #986 on: September 26, 2017, 03:38:26 PM »
 :)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #987 on: September 26, 2017, 03:54:16 PM »

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #988 on: September 27, 2017, 01:48:46 AM »
mike was an ok bb. but he was sooo wrong about training. if he were right and all you needed to do was go to failure and be done per body part. why reps? say you can bench 300 for 1 rep. put 310 on it try to get it up then have a little help( thats positive failure) then hold it at the top until you cant no  longer ( static failure) then lower it slow as you can( negative failure) and bam. your done for chest. 1 rep! max weights and failure. acccording to mike you dont need a pump. just failure. so one rep per body part and your done.  right?  lmao. he was such a tool.but he says 6-8 reps cuz research shows thats the best for building muscle. but i thought failure was?  lol      heavy weights 6-10 sets per bodypart 4-12 reps with one pump set and your done.

Opinions about Mike as a bber is of course a very subjective evaluation. He may be "OK" to some but he was in his era part of the top of the top. A huge part of the reason he was so popular and still stirs so much interest is his unique physique.

As far as your take on his training, which you term "so wrong" -- so wrong but yet created a world class physique is more of your profound misunderstanding of his training. He did address the issue you have brought up. He talked about "muscle inroads" which are now often referred to as TUT (time under tension). A one rep max does require maximum intensity but very little "inroads", i.e., digging deeper in the the muscle fibers. You can only use a certain percentage of a muscle even at full exertion and those fibers fire at an all or nothing rate. So a one rep max leaves a certain percentage of that particular muscle group dormant. Only by increasing TUT are you able to recruit those fibers as the other ones drop out due to fatigued. Mike even walked through a typical set done HIT style. For example, say, you picked a weight, say 205 lbs, in which you can do six full reps and unable to complete a seventh rep. That just means you can't move 205 lbs but you still have enough strength to maybe move 195lbs. That's where forced reps come in. Being assisted so that you are still working at max intensity but now making deeper inroads into that particular muscle group. When that positive, concentric part, have been exhausted you still have something left in the negative, concentric, part of the movement continuing until the muscle group has been completely exhausted.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #989 on: September 27, 2017, 01:57:09 AM »
Mikes training philosophys were actutually totally on the spot! No need to stay in the gym for days. You can get it done 4 times a week while also focusing on getting a education etc. This was a huge gift of him to bb.
MIRAGETROPIN

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #990 on: September 27, 2017, 04:14:32 AM »
i grew up when mike was at his peak. i didnt like his attitude. period. he thought he was the best. he thought he was right. he put down other bodybuilders always saying they were wrong. etc.  his build was ok. when he was alone he looked good. copared him next to others and he was a swimmer. no chest no shoulders no back. etc. i remmeber something arnold once said( about franco but it applys here) when you lift heavy weight all the time the muscle doesnt "pop" when you flex it. and hes right. people like mike and franco etc have a rugged build but when they flex nothing pops. doesnt change much. and mike was a liar. he did not train the way he preached. end of story. he also took lots of drugs as did everyone else too. but he built himself first using regular workouts then needed a gimmick to sell courses and books. true alot of guys were over training wich is actually when steriods work their best. when there is much trauma to the body . mikes arragance and attitude is what made him a shit bodybuilder and a poor loser. end of story

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #991 on: September 27, 2017, 04:31:50 AM »
i grew up when mike was at his peak. i didn't like his attitude. period. he thought he was the best. he thought he was right. he put down other bodybuilders always saying they were wrong. etc.  his build was OK. when he was alone he looked good. compared him next to others and he was a swimmer. no chest no shoulders no back. etc. i remember something Arnold once said( about Franco but it applies here) when you lift heavy weight all the time the muscle doesn't "pop" when you flex it. and hes right. people like mike and Franco etc have a rugged build but when they flex nothing pops. doesn't change much. and mike was a liar. he did not train the way he preached. end of story. he also took lots of drugs as did everyone else too. but he built himself first using regular workouts then needed a gimmick to sell courses and books. true a lot of guys were over training which is actually when steroids work their best. when there is much trauma to the body . mikes arrogance and attitude is what made him a shit bodybuilder and a poor loser. end of story

Yep -- Well summed up.

Didn't do his education or mental health a lot of good all that extra free time away from the gym.. ;)

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #992 on: September 27, 2017, 06:28:46 AM »
i grew up when mike was at his peak. i didnt like his attitude. period. he thought he was the best. he thought he was right. he put down other bodybuilders always saying they were wrong. etc.  his build was ok. when he was alone he looked good. copared him next to others and he was a swimmer. no chest no shoulders no back. etc. i remmeber something arnold once said( about franco but it applys here) when you lift heavy weight all the time the muscle doesnt "pop" when you flex it. and hes right. people like mike and franco etc have a rugged build but when they flex nothing pops. doesnt change much. and mike was a liar. he did not train the way he preached. end of story. he also took lots of drugs as did everyone else too. but he built himself first using regular workouts then needed a gimmick to sell courses and books. true alot of guys were over training wich is actually when steriods work their best. when there is much trauma to the body . mikes arragance and attitude is what made him a shit bodybuilder and a poor loser. end of story

However, Mike and Franco actually looked strong and powerful, their muscles didn't have a puffed up look to them or 'pop' as you might say. It is a bodybuilding, but I think many admired the powerful look and wanted to do whatever he was apparently doing to get that look to their physique.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #993 on: September 27, 2017, 03:42:15 PM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #994 on: September 27, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »

Arnold did the same thing but took it a lot further.  But then, he is Arnold and when he wants the food, it's there.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #995 on: September 28, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
Well said.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “No no. Down here, Louie.”
« Reply #996 on: September 29, 2017, 11:17:59 AM »

The Mentzer bros really rocked the creepy pedo look and rocked it hard

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #997 on: September 29, 2017, 03:54:50 PM »
The Mentzer bros really rocked the creepy pedo look and rocked it hard

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #998 on: September 29, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »
mike mentzer had a great look anyone on here who think's he was an average bodybuilder is a moron.  the guy could actually write good as well.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #999 on: September 29, 2017, 04:10:38 PM »
mike mentzer had a great look anyone on here who think's he was an average bodybuilder is a moron.  the guy could actually write good as well.

its best to have both arms and chest like 15 said

but if you could only have one or the other id say arms win

franco had torso mentzer had arms