Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 414824 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #1025 on: October 06, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »
he had a magazine (not sure if it even lasted a year) in 1981 or 1982

I would guess he was bi-polar or schitzo (maybe exacerbated by meth)

It would be pathetic to lose your mind over a stupid bodybuilding contest (and he had lost contests before) and seems unlikely to be the cause

Vince B was friends with Ray so maybe he can shed some light on it

Ray talked about Mike but not in any detail. He said his dad told him to look after Mike. When he put Mike on the staff at his Muscle Mill Gym in Torrance that he lost members because of Mike's hostility to policemen, etc.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #1026 on: October 07, 2017, 12:00:21 AM »
he had a magazine (not sure if it even lasted a year) in 1981 or 1982

I would guess he was bi-polar or schitzo (maybe exacerbated by meth)

It would be pathetic to lose your mind over a stupid bodybuilding contest (and he had lost contests before) and seems unlikely to be the cause

Vince B was friends with Ray so maybe he can shed some light on it

Or just caused by long-term amphetamine use at higher doses.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #1027 on: October 07, 2017, 01:40:12 AM »
Ray talked about Mike but not in any detail. He said his dad told him to look after Mike. When he put Mike on the staff at his Muscle Mill Gym in Torrance that he lost members because of Mike's hostility to policemen, etc.

Interesting! How was Ray like? Was he into speed too?
MIRAGETROPIN

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1028 on: October 07, 2017, 02:14:30 AM »
Interesting! How was Ray like? Was he into speed too?

I don't know if he was using anything when he was in Australia. He did take pain killers to cope with the pain in his neck. Remember he squatted with 925 pounds for two reps! The guy was super strong.

When I was at his place in Torrance in 1991 we were going out and I didn't want to go because I had a bad headache. He told me to take two pills and the headache would disappear. Well, I objected because I seldom take even aspirin and definitely no recreation drugs. He assured me they were okay. I reluctantly took them and voila soon enough no more headache. Made me think about how some people might have this experience then ask for more of those pills if another migraine occurred.

He stayed at our place in Sydney for about a year or so. His defacto, Kathy, told us she couldn't live with Ray if he and his friends were preparing for a contest. They would take pills to get hyped up for a hard workout then more pills later to calm down. Add in the steroids and we have a recipe for all sorts of emotional changes.

In 1991 Ray had a good business using Medx machines treating people for sore backs and necks. He had more than one clinic and things were going well. New BMW 535 for a start. When he was in Australia he competed and lost to Sonny Schmidt in Melbourne. Since Mike won Mr Universe and both won Mr America, Ray wanted to also be a Mr Universe. So he tried one last time to compete. He told me that when he and his training partners weighed over 290 pounds they started getting sick so had to give up that quest. He didn't elaborate and I didn't question him further. He was a bit cavalier about steroids and told me they were just gonad stimulators. When he ended up on dialysis I wondered if what he did contributed. I really have no idea. He told me that in 1979 when he was training for the Mr America contest that his mother got sick. He wanted that title so bad that he said, "I would have done anything to win....even train 24 hours a day!"  He did win. One thing that most didn't know is that Ray and Mike were competitors. Seems Ray felt that his dad favoured Mike. So Ray always had a chip on his shoulder. He always looked serious and even like someone you don't mess with. Truth is he was rather nervous and would let off steam over triffles. Or react strongly to minor things. One day we were driving along and came to a roundabout. A gym member saw us and as we slowed on the corner banged on the side of the car. Ray just about shit himself. Another day we were in Sydney outside a gym and I was going to introduce him to the owner so that Ray could put on a seminar and training camp. I had built most of the gym equipment for this club. When we got out of my car a friend who Ray had met on New Year's Eve pulled up on her motorbike. Ray presumed this was a setup and took off running down the street. I followed him to a corner and then gave up. There was Mr Canada chasing Mr America down the street! He took the train back to our place. It was a coincidence that she was there. Yet Ray reacted like that.

All the bodybuilding champions love putting on seminars in gyms, especially overseas, etc. There are always one or two women attending who adore the champion and romance is there for the taking. Ray didn't turn down the friendship of one woman and they spent some time together. Her jealous boyfriend found out and when Ray was at her place the jealous guy and a mate caused a commotion outside and yelled and threw bricks  at the house. Ray was scared that day. The next morning my son alerted Ray that he had a flat tire. Next thing Ray was out there cussing and cursing and blaming these guys. Ray was left handed and took the tire off in no time. When it was off I examined it and found a nail there. Ray felt stupid because now we knew why he had a flat tire. The truth is Ray wasn't a violent man. He detested guys who beat their wives or girlfriends. "All I want is to be left alone."

You should have seen how competitive we were playing table tennis. My son, Zorba, beat both of us. I was number two. Ray could smash that ball like a champion and I would tell him to "hit it hard". One day he told me he would play me but I wasn't allowed to speak. You should have been there. It made things worse! He lost anyway. After that game he explained that the bat was no good. I had the best competition bats. He insisted on using a sandpaper covered bat so I acquired one. When he lost using it he almost broke the bat on the end of the table. Ah, good days. I have a photo of Ray playing and will post it when I find it. Also some other photos taken when he was in Australia.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #1029 on: October 07, 2017, 02:22:50 AM »
I don't know if he was using anything when he was in Australia. He did take pain killers to cope with the pain in his neck. Remember he squatted with 925 pounds for two reps! The guy was super strong.

When I was at his place in Torrance in 1991 we were going out and I didn't want to go because I had a bad headache. He told me to take two pills and the headache would disappear. Well, I objected because I seldom take even aspirin and definitely no recreation drugs. He assured me they were okay. I reluctantly took them and voila soon enough no more headache. Made me think about how some people might have this experience then ask for more of those pills if another migraine occurred.

He stayed at our place in Sydney for about a year or so. His defacto, Kathy, told us she couldn't live with Ray if he and his friends were preparing for a contest. They would take pills to get hyped up for a hard workout then more pills later to calm down. Add in the steroids and we have a recipe for all sorts of emotional changes.

In 1991 Ray had a good business using Medx machines treating people for sore backs and necks. He had more than one clinic and things were going well. New BMW 535 for a start. When he was in Australia he competed and lost to Sonny Schmidt in Melbourne. Since Mike won Mr Universe and both won Mr America, Ray wanted to also be a Mr Universe. So he tried one last time to compete. He told me that when he and his training partners weighed over 290 pounds they started getting sick so had to give up that quest. He didn't elaborate and I didn't question him further. He was a bit cavalier about steroids and told me they were just gonad stimulators. When he ended up on dialysis I wondered if what he did contributed. I really have no idea. He told me that in 1979 when he was training for the Mr America contest that his mother got sick. He wanted that title so bad that he said, "I would have done anything to win....even train 24 hours a day!"  He did win. One thing that most didn't know is that Ray and Mike were competitors. Seems Ray felt that his dad favoured Mike. So Ray always had a chip on his shoulder. He always looked serious and even like someone you don't mess with. Truth is he was rather nervous and would let off steam over triffles. Or react strongly to minor things. One day we were driving along and came to a roundabout. A gym member saw us and as we slowed on the corner banged on the side of the car. Ray just about shit himself. Another day we were in Sydney outside a gym and I was going to introduce him to the owner so that Ray could put on a seminar and training camp. I had built most of the gym equipment for this club. When we got out of my car a friend who Ray had met on New Year's Eve pulled up on her motorbike. Ray presumed this was a setup and took off running down the street. I followed him to a corner and then gave up. There was Mr Canada chasing Mr America down the street! He took the train back to our place. It was a coincidence that she was there. Yet Ray reacted like that.

All the bodybuilding champions love putting on seminars in gyms, especially overseas, etc. There are always one or two women attending who adore the champion and romance is there for the taking. Ray didn't turn down the friendship of one woman and they spent some time together. Her jealous boyfriend found out and when Ray was at her place the jealous guy and a mate caused a commotion outside and yelled and threw bricks  at the house. Ray was scared that day. The next morning my son alerted Ray that he had a flat tire. Next thing Ray was out there cussing and cursing and blaming these guys. Ray was left handed and took the tire off in no time. When it was off I examined it and found a nail there. Ray felt stupid because now we knew why he had a flat tire. The truth is Ray wasn't a violent man. He detested guys who beat their wives or girlfriends. "All I want is to be left alone."

You should have seen how competitive we were playing table tennis. My son, Zorba, beat both of us. I was number two. Ray could smash that ball like a champion and I would tell him to "hit it hard". One day he told me he would play me but I wasn't allowed to speak. You should have been there. It made things worse! He lost anyway. After that game he explained that the bat was no good. I had the best competition bats. He insisted on using a sandpaper covered bat so I acquired one. When he lost using it he almost broke the bat on the end of the table. Ah, good days. I have a photo of Ray playing and will post it when I find it. Also some other photos taken when he was in Australia.

Great post! You make the man come alive again.
MIRAGETROPIN

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1030 on: October 07, 2017, 02:45:40 AM »
gay and dyke

Simple Simon

« Reply #1031 on: October 07, 2017, 03:13:50 AM »

see, now thats a great story and totally believable...

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #1032 on: October 07, 2017, 04:08:51 AM »
Ray has kinda fallen between the lines. Mike sure was a very intelligent induvidual both in mind and body. Very cool to get some info on the guy.
MIRAGETROPIN

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1033 on: October 07, 2017, 04:13:59 AM »

Great post Vince, really enjoyed this one. Have you written a book on your experiences over the years?

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #1034 on: October 07, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »
Always great to hear about the Mentzer bros, nice one, Vince.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #1035 on: October 07, 2017, 09:51:32 AM »
Ray sounds like a bit of a head case himself

That last video they made with Mike chain smoking and looking like he's in his late sixties and Ray complaining he can't get a woman is just depressing

They were both around 50 at the time, basically what should have been the prime of their life

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1036 on: October 07, 2017, 09:58:19 AM »
Ray sounds like a bit of a head case himself

That last video they made with Mike chain smoking and looking like he's in his late sixties and Ray complaining he can't get a woman is just depressing

They were both around 50 at the time, basically what should have been the prime of their life

i believe that gay was close to benny poda

another fucking weirdo nutcase

DarthSidious

• Getbig II
« Reply #1037 on: October 07, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
Podda was and is out of his fucking mind.  Hanging himself onstage, blowing blood out of his nose, living in a cave...he makes the Mentzers look like something from Norman Rockwell by comparison.

Oh, just by the by, I reckon Fortress hasn't seen this thread yet; otherwise, he'd be calling bullshit on Ray doubling 925 in anything more than a quarter squat ;)

Also, kudos to Mr. Basile for sharing those stories.  Vince, I think we'd all appreciate more tales about Ray, Dillet and others who've frequented your gym.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #1038 on: October 07, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »
i remember one time reading on here, that ray  and other guys would get high on coke and do all night squatting sessions at his gym in california,

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #1039 on: October 07, 2017, 10:58:45 AM »
Canon. More Vince stories on the damn subject.
MIRAGETROPIN

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1040 on: October 07, 2017, 12:01:07 PM »
Both Mentzer brothers sounded like they were unstable drug users.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1041 on: October 07, 2017, 12:02:35 PM »
Both Mentzer brothers sounded like they were unstable drug users.

was dyke really an alcoholic  ???

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #1042 on: October 07, 2017, 12:09:50 PM »
Just to add on--Thanks, Vince B., for sharing some personal stories of Ray Mentzer (and Mike too, sorta).  Great stuff! 

I think Ray was slightly more genetically blessed than Mike but maybe Mike was just that much more driven.  Would you agree or disagree?

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #1043 on: October 08, 2017, 04:09:44 AM »
Vince you say he (ray) liked painkillers. But still abit shady answer. Qualudes or tylenol?
MIRAGETROPIN

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1044 on: October 08, 2017, 04:35:27 AM »
Vince you say he (ray) liked painkillers. But still abit shady answer. Qualudes or tylenol?

Understand that Ray Mentzer was a very private man. He didn't say much about drugs and I never asked. He had to see chiropractors to get neck adjustments. Even did some himself.

I really can't shed any light on any drugs that Ray might have used. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He worked with Arthur Jones and Arthur said Ray was one of the

few bodybuilders with genuine 20+ inch arms. Muscle for muscle Ray was huge. Probably had longer muscle bellies than Mike so he was able to develop larger muscles. He never looked that

big in photos for some reason.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #1045 on: October 08, 2017, 04:54:01 AM »
From what I heard Ray actually devloped a much more impresive body than Mike ever did. But he never really showed it of. Was aparantlly 280 lean in the early 90:es. One of the biggest creatures around Golds with Vic Richards. But this is just a story i've heard.
MIRAGETROPIN

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #1046 on: October 09, 2017, 01:37:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing that great story, Vince!

I use to see Ray around pretty regularly when I lived in the Torrance/Redondo Beach area. We both seemed to be fans of "El Pollo Loco" chicken place. I first saw him in person in the early 1980s when he walked into Barlow's gym in Torrance with Benny Podda.

Ray was huge and had a more traditional bbing look than Mike. I think it was Mike's unique look that
made him stand out more than Ray. Ray was one of those guys, as Vince mentioned, that didn't look as impressive in pics than he did in person.

Last time I saw Ray was in 24hr Fitness on PCH in Torrance around 1998 or so. Nobody knew who he
was. I'm going around telling everybody that that's Ray Mentzer. They just shrugged their shoulders and said, "Who?"

I chatted with him a bit and he was very personable and friendly. He also didn't look too well but I didn't think anything about it. He just looked run down and tired. I wanted to ask about Mike but I figured he
gets that all the time and didn't want an eye rolling moment. He didn't train very hard that day and just
kind of piddled around with the dumbbells. Not like the first time I saw them over ten years ago with Benny where they were repping four plates on the bench.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1047 on: October 11, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
Zane and Mentzer's

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1048 on: October 11, 2017, 12:29:44 PM »
Zane and Mentzer's

3 fellas of GERMANIC roots

FUCK YEAH😝

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #1049 on: October 11, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »

Zorba . . . Zorba??? You named your kid Zorba? WTF???

J