Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 417941 times)

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #1100 on: November 14, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1101 on: November 14, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »
If Mentzer was 5' 8" then Baldwin must be around 5' 6".  Regardless they both had great physiques.  I would sooner look like Mentzer did at his best than Phildo at his "best". 

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #1102 on: November 16, 2017, 10:47:25 AM »
mike was 5ft 8  also for the record. yes dan duchaine did start the rumors about mike drinking his own urine. he was making a joke. mike at the time ( and ray too) had to collect their urine in a jug for i believe 24 hours once a week or so( i may be wrong on the duration) it was to check the function of their kidneys.  during an interview dan brought it up and they asked him why mike did that he said im not sure i think he drinks it( or something to that effect)  dan also joked about mike and ray being lovers too. but this was not true either. dan was a jokster. so there you have it. the truth about the urine drinking. but yes mike did go crazy on speed etc.  not "doctor" prescribed either.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #1103 on: November 29, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »
 :)

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1104 on: November 29, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »

Thought he and his brother drank each others via mainline.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1105 on: November 30, 2017, 07:15:56 AM »

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #1106 on: November 30, 2017, 04:25:25 PM »

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #1107 on: December 03, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1108 on: December 04, 2017, 09:53:22 AM »

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #1109 on: December 04, 2017, 10:16:08 AM »
Each time i look at time i cant belive how goog he was. And smart! Spoke to him a few times 20 years ago.
MIRAGETROPIN

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1110 on: December 05, 2017, 05:49:03 AM »
I always hear about his intelligence but would an intelligent guy use meth?  Maybe I'm basing it on all the bad decisions he made too. Starting a magazine on fitness instead of bodybuilding when he had zero experience on the distribution of it. Buying outdated expensive commercial video equipment when he had no idea how to produce anything. He also blew through his money which really was substantial for the time but I guess one can blame his drug addiction for clouded judgement. He also dropped out of pre med but that doesn't make him an MD. He did write more than once that he feared what steroids and other drugs were doing to his mind but also threw in that he was too smart to let them influence his behavior. Just a little pompous. He did appear to suffer from depression and attributed it to the death of loved ones but one must speculate on the contributing factor of steroids and speed. When on steroids mentally you feel aggressive and confident. The PDR even made reference back in the day of steroids affecting mood for the better. I don't know the wording today of the PDR regarding steroids. Once off as the steroids completely leave the system many feel depressed, nervous and meek. Combine that with speed and you have problems.

Aside from all the negatives I wrote I really admired his writings during his prime years. Everything he wrote and every interview I would tear out of magazines. To this date I might own the most complete collection of everything he wrote. I did admire his analytical thinking regarding training. Remember back in the day he was making 200k a year. That might be a million a year in today's money.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1111 on: December 05, 2017, 05:53:54 AM »

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1112 on: December 05, 2017, 05:57:00 AM »
fdb at the 1980 MrO.. Mike better than Arnold ?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1113 on: December 05, 2017, 06:05:35 AM »
Hey oldtimer

Gear and it's effect upon mood depends upon ones reaction to it

For example.deca makes me horny

Ace makes me a bigger douche than i already am lol

Winny does nothing to my mood

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1114 on: December 05, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »
Better quality muscle on Mike there. Arnold's was hurried into place for 1980. No one else would have gotten away with this.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1115 on: December 05, 2017, 10:28:45 AM »
I always hear about his intelligence but would an intelligent guy use meth?  Maybe I'm basing it on all the bad decisions he made too. Starting a magazine on fitness instead of bodybuilding when he had zero experience on the distribution of it. Buying outdated expensive commercial video equipment when he had no idea how to produce anything. He also blew through his money which really was substantial for the time but I guess one can blame his drug addiction for clouded judgement. He also dropped out of pre med but that doesn't make him an MD. He did write more than once that he feared what steroids and other drugs were doing to his mind but also threw in that he was too smart to let them influence his behavior. Just a little pompous. He did appear to suffer from depression and attributed it to the death of loved ones but one must speculate on the contributing factor of steroids and speed. When on steroids mentally you feel aggressive and confident. The PDR even made reference back in the day of steroids affecting mood for the better. I don't know the wording today of the PDR regarding steroids. Once off as the steroids completely leave the system many feel depressed, nervous and meek. Combine that with speed and you have problems.

Aside from all the negatives I wrote I really admired his writings during his prime years. Everything he wrote and every interview I would tear out of magazines. To this date I might own the most complete collection of everything he wrote. I did admire his analytical thinking regarding training. Remember back in the day he was making 200k a year. That might be a million a year in today's money.
  He had some bad decisions at times,  his "foibles" as he called them. He told me enjoyed them, lol . He was intelligent, I had several three or four hour phone conversations where he went quite deep into philosophy and logic. I had a college degree, was working on a masters and I was behind him intellectually at the time.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #1116 on: December 05, 2017, 10:32:46 AM »
Mike was a veritable Renaissance Man.  They say there's a fine line between genius and madness and he walked that line.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1117 on: December 05, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »
Mike was a veritable Renaissance Man.  They say there's a fine line between genius and madness and he walked that line.

Sometimes I think he snorted it.

He was a fantastic bodybuilder and of above average intelligence.   And yes, a bit of a Renaissance Man. 

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #1118 on: December 05, 2017, 02:01:36 PM »
fdb at the 1980 MrO.. Mike better than Arnold ?

In that particular picture yes I'd give it to mike.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #1119 on: December 05, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »

He did indeed walk that line & fell off it a good few Times.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1120 on: December 05, 2017, 04:18:17 PM »
He did indeed walk that line & fell off it a good few Times.
He could be quite Mad. All the Best ones are.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1121 on: December 05, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »
  He had some bad decisions at times,  his "foibles" as he called them. He told me enjoyed them, lol . He was intelligent, I had several three or four hour phone conversations where he went quite deep into philosophy and logic. I had a college degree, was working on a masters and I was behind him intellectually at the time.

Having a degree has nothing to do with intelligence. In the US a college degree has replaced the high school diploma. When everyone has a college degree no one has a college degree.  I do believe he was intelligent but he was very pompous in telling everyone he was smart. I will say this about degrees. Having a degree in the liberal arts is not the same as having a degree in the sciences. If someone has a mechanic engineering degree or degree in chemistry I would be the first to say they are intelligent.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #1122 on: December 05, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
mike had one of the most pleasing  physiques ever in the sport,  i remember when that fourth  tier piece of shit bob chic was on here ragging on mikes build, bob got tore a new asshole by most of the board, and had to log in with his gimmick accounts to back himself up .    mike sold more books and catalogs in one year than bob did in his whole life .

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1123 on: December 05, 2017, 07:20:27 PM »
mike had one of the most pleasing  physiques ever in the sport,  i remember when that fourth  tier piece of shit bob chic was on here ragging on mikes build, bob got tore a new asshole by most of the board, and had to log in with his gimmick accounts to back himself up .    mike sold more books and catalogs in one year than bob did in his whole life .

I agree.  Chic is a festering boil that feeds off the scrotum of today's "bpdybuilding" becoming ever more turgid with pus and disease.   Or is that Kai Greene?    Both of them suck schmoe and neither could hold a candle to Mike Mentzer's physique let alone his mind even when it was burning up with amphetamines.    Chic dresses like a Down's clown on the town and Kai?  Kai dresses like a mongoloid in the dark.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #1124 on: December 05, 2017, 07:23:43 PM »
I agree.  Chic is a festering boil that feeds off the scrotum of today's "bpdybuilding" becoming ever more turgid with pus and disease.   Or is that Kai Greene?    Both of them suck schmoe and neither could hold a candle to Mike Mentzer's physique let alone his mind even when it was burning up with amphetamines.    Chic dresses like a Down's clown on the town and Kai?  Kai dresses like a mongoloid in the dark.

bwa ha ha great post and true, bob's clown suits he wears to the olympia are lame as shit