Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 417713 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #1125 on: December 05, 2017, 07:31:41 PM »
Those of us who were contemporaries of these guys never reached the level they were at. Perhaps they were more motivated and perhaps they took more risks.

Ray Mentzer stayed at my place in Sydney for over a year in the late eighties. He was totally serious about training and knew what he was talking about.

Mike was perhaps the only writer in the muscle magazines who was also a philosopher.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1126 on: December 07, 2017, 12:29:29 AM »
Those of us who were contemporaries of these guys never reached the level they were at. Perhaps they were more motivated and perhaps they took more risks.

Ray Mentzer stayed at my place in Sydney for over a year in the late eighties. He was totally serious about training and knew what he was talking about.

Mike was perhaps the only writer in the muscle magazines who was also a philosopher.

Did you allow them to smoke cigarettes in your apartment? 

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1127 on: December 07, 2017, 01:41:10 AM »
Did you allow them to smoke cigarettes in your apartment? 

Ray didn't smoke. I lived in a house not an apartment. Met Mike at Gold's Venice in 1991. Stayed at Ray's place in Torrance, Ca.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1128 on: December 07, 2017, 07:43:32 AM »

He was probably the only writer that could actually write.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #1129 on: December 07, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »
He was probably the only writer that could actually write.

Rick Wayne could write.  Julian Schmidt used a lot of big words that I had to look up in the dictionary (that was before Google).

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1130 on: December 07, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »
Rick Wayne could write.  Julian Schmidt used a lot of big words that I had to look up in the dictionary (that was before Google).

Julian Schmidt was unreadable and an abysmal journalist.

Rick Wayne made the protagonists in bodybuilding seem interesting, he left a huge void when he packed it in.

Peter Mcgough was a decent writer with an engaging style back in his UK days.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #1131 on: December 07, 2017, 11:18:19 AM »
Julian Schmidt was unreadable and an abysmal journalist.

Rick Wayne made the protagonists in bodybuilding seem interesting, he left a huge void when he packed it in.

Peter Mcgough was a decent writer with an engaging style back in his UK days.

Knew all three. Read all three.

Agreed.

And every word ever attributed to Don Ross was written by Don Ross. Excellent writer and raconteur.
a

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1132 on: December 07, 2017, 11:59:08 AM »
Knew all three. Read all three.

Agreed.

And every word ever attributed to Don Ross was written by Don Ross. Excellent writer and raconteur.

I only caught the tail end of Don Ross but I recall thinking he was pretty good.

I also thought Bob Kennedy did a great job with his early books (Hardcore Bodybuilding and Beef It).

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #1133 on: December 08, 2017, 10:23:18 PM »

Rick Wayne was by far my favorite writer at the time. I still plagiarize his "Sardinian Sidekick" description of Franco in one of his articles. I also thought he had a tremendous physique. Superior to Zane and Corney. Never seem to make a big splash as a competitor.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1134 on: December 08, 2017, 10:41:48 PM »
Rick Wayne was by far my favorite writer at the time. I still plagiarize his "Sardinian Sidekick" description of Franco in one of his articles. I also thought he had a tremendous physique. Superior to Zane and Corney. Never seem to make a big splash as a competitor.

Be careful. Some would consider him a bad writer because he dared to write and bad things about the god Arnold.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1135 on: December 08, 2017, 11:30:08 PM »
Wonder how big mentzer narcissism was ???

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1136 on: December 09, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »
Rick Wayne was pretty good both as a competitor and a writer. 

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #1137 on: December 09, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »
Rick Wayne was by far my favorite writer at the time. I still plagiarize his "Sardinian Sidekick" description of Franco in one of his articles.
Be careful. Some would consider him a bad writer because he dared to write and bad things about the god Arnold.

Odd. Rick looked to be enjoying himself mightily,here.....

chess315

« Reply #1138 on: December 09, 2017, 07:38:29 AM »
Congratulations on that picture find - I'm pretty sure that is the plainest, cheapest, just thrown-together-in-someone's-kitchen set of sweats I have ever seen!  (Although I'd still have worn them at the time LOL!)

I might make some lol good idea

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #1139 on: December 09, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »
 :)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #1140 on: December 09, 2017, 10:10:04 AM »

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #1141 on: December 09, 2017, 03:33:23 PM »

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #1142 on: December 10, 2017, 12:45:50 AM »
I only caught the tail end of Don Ross but I recall thinking he was pretty good.

I also thought Bob Kennedy did a great job with his early books (Hardcore Bodybuilding and Beef It).

Kennedy was under rated in many areas IMO. He was a good dude for the world of bodybuilding. I think bodybuilders would have done much much better financially, PR wise, etc., if Robert Kennedy was the shot caller from 1975-2000 and not Joe Weider.
a

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1143 on: December 10, 2017, 01:17:04 AM »
Dyke and gay

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #1144 on: December 10, 2017, 04:06:32 AM »

You weren’t a contemporary of theirs. Because I buy from Amazon does not make me a contemporary of Jeff Bezos.

J

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #1145 on: December 10, 2017, 04:09:16 AM »

I wonder if that was taken in the Hamburger Hamlit.

J

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #1146 on: December 10, 2017, 04:10:21 AM »

Better than Zane? Laughable, just laughable.

J

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #1147 on: December 10, 2017, 04:40:52 AM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1148 on: December 10, 2017, 12:01:39 PM »

At his peak he could have beaten a lot of top guys including Zane. Realize he competed mainly before Arnold even reached the US. He won the Mr. Universe in 1965. He's not a spring chicken. More like a winter chicken. He's 79 years old. Destroyed Franco in all comparisons in this competition. He made a come back to enter the Olympia but he hurt his neck training.  It was so bad he had trouble putting a shirt on and he stopped training for the contest. 

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #1149 on: December 10, 2017, 12:52:32 PM »
At his peak he could have beaten a lot of top guys including Zane. Realize he competed mainly before Arnold even reached the US. He won the Mr. Universe in 1965. He's not a spring chicken. More like a winter chicken. He's 79 years old. Destroyed Franco in all comparisons in this competition. He made a come back to enter the Olympia but he hurt his neck training.  It was so bad he had trouble putting a shirt on and he stopped training for the contest. 

He didn't win the Universe in 65 , he won his class , Earl Maynard won the Mr Universe title , his class and the overall