Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 414998 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #1375 on: January 26, 2018, 04:24:55 AM »
Squatting 925 for a double?

Hmmmmmmmmmm..... Must have been quarter squats

And why the fuck train that heavy? AJ said "one can get fill muscle building benefits from squats and deads by not using more than 400 pounds for 15-20 reps and in most cases 300 pounds is enough"

chuckles

« Reply #1376 on: January 26, 2018, 04:29:35 AM »
Squatting 925 for a double?

Hmmmmmmmmmm..... Must have been quarter squats

And why the fuck train that heavy? AJ said "one can get fill muscle building benefits from squats and deads by not using more than 400 pounds for 15-20 reps and in most cases 300 pounds is enough"
no need to squat with stupid weights.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1377 on: January 26, 2018, 05:34:16 AM »
no need to squat with stupid weights.

Or any exercise for that matter, but I do believe you should have a decent level of base strength to maximize gains

AJ Also said that if you can curl a 200 pound barbell for 10 or so reps yours arms will be as big as they can get

Doubt there are many people who can do that

chuckles

« Reply #1378 on: January 26, 2018, 05:52:10 AM »
Or any exercise for that matter, but I do believe you should have a decent level of base strength to maximize gains

AJ Also said that if you can curl a 200 pound barbell for 10 or so reps yours arms will be as big as they can get

Doubt there are many people who can do that
very true

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #1379 on: February 03, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
 :)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #1380 on: February 03, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1381 on: February 03, 2018, 05:36:14 PM »
It's sad how weak and sickly the Mentzer brothers were at a relatively young age.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1382 on: February 03, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
Ray kept his dignity to the end. Mike still had his vocabulary. Sad to hear Ray couldn't get a woman. The ones in the gyms were too young he said.

Ray was 47 and Mike 49. Ray was hoping Mike could donate one of his kidneys but Mike's health was too poor to allow an operation. When Mike died

Ray gave up on life as his routine tied to that dialysis machine and being alone would have depressed him deeply. He died two days after Mike.

Very sad for both of them. Smart guys who ended up like that sure is ironical because Ray was rather cavalier about steroids. He took pain killers

because his neck gave him trouble. All those super heavy weights impacted on his health. He told me he once squatted 925 pounds for two reps.

interesting shit

chuckles

« Reply #1383 on: February 04, 2018, 02:44:50 AM »
It's sad how weak and sickly the Mentzer brothers were at a relatively young age.
Live life in the fast lane then soon or later the Grim Reaper comes calling. A shame. A lot of these guys just lived for the moment they never thought about a few years down the road.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1384 on: February 04, 2018, 03:00:58 AM »
Live life in the fast lane then soon or later the Grim Reaper comes calling. A shame. A lot of these guys just lived for the moment they never thought about a few years down the road.

they had heart disease genetics in thier family

dad died in his 40's of heart failure

HEALTH IS DETERMINED BY...... GENETICS

"diet" plays a tiny tiny role

chuckles

« Reply #1385 on: February 04, 2018, 03:24:38 AM »

OK but they did not live very Healthy towards the End.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1386 on: February 04, 2018, 04:14:51 AM »
OK but they did not live very Healthy towards the End.

True

Wonder how much damage narcotics and gear caused?

According to 15 gear doesn't hurt health like narcotics do

chuckles

« Reply #1387 on: February 04, 2018, 04:39:26 AM »
True

Wonder how much damage narcotics and gear caused?

According to 15 gear doesn't hurt health like narcotics do
would agree. as long as you know what you're doing gear should not be a problem.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1388 on: February 04, 2018, 04:42:41 AM »
would agree. as long as you know what you're doing gear should not be a problem.

Is kinda funny though how guys try to convince themselves that tren is less toxic than deca😆😄

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1389 on: February 04, 2018, 05:03:08 AM »

It's genetics and the risks you take in life. Smoking, steroids, recreational drugs, poor aerobic health, high body weight are among the risks to health you can change. It's both incredulous and disingenuous when fans of bodybuilding drugs rationalize away the risks to health by saying genetics is the reason they were both weak and sickly as they hit their late 40's.  It was their life style. Their dad was an over weight smoker. Sure genetics plays a major role. There are smokers that live to by 80 but is it a mathematical risk to health for the majority? Of course it is.   

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1390 on: February 04, 2018, 05:28:36 AM »
It's genetics and the risks you take in life. Smoking, steroids, recreational drugs, poor aerobic health, high body weight are among the risks to health you can change. It's both incredulous and disingenuous when fans of bodybuilding drugs rationalize away the risks to health by saying genetics is the reason they were both weak and sickly as they hit their late 40's.  It was their life style. Their dad was an over weight smoker. Sure genetics plays a major role. There are smokers that live to by 80 but is it a mathematical risk to health for the majority? Of course it is.   

good point

being overweight, even if it is muscle IS NOT HEALTHY

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #1391 on: February 04, 2018, 06:29:52 AM »
good point

being overweight, even if it is muscle IS NOT HEALTHY

Being alive / Living isn’t healthy the risk of death is everywhere
We are fragile beings & can die or be killed for umpteen different reasons.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1392 on: February 04, 2018, 06:33:46 AM »
Being alive / Living isn’t healthy the risk of death is everywhere
We are fragile beings & can die or be killed for umpteen different reasons.

ok tune from sting

but.... this one is MUCH BETTER, more MASCULINE  8)

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1393 on: February 05, 2018, 09:32:20 AM »

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1394 on: February 05, 2018, 01:33:33 PM »

If you spent any time around Mike the last decade of his life, you would have a different view. Yes, he smoke , and a lot the last q5 years of his life, but I never saw him take drugs, and he didnt seem to drink much, even on New Years, though he was sick when I was there. He ate pretty healthy, lunch would be a large turkey sandwich, no chip, dinner chinese. that sort of thing. i think the damage was already done, and yes smoking is bad for you, and the amphetamines were a tragic mistake. Now he even had taken acid when he was younger, never got to hear the whole story on how that went lol.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1395 on: February 05, 2018, 04:17:14 PM »
Sibling rivalry and motivation between Mike and Ray.

Ray told me a story about Mike not picking him up on the way to high school one morning. Mike had mates with him but drove right past Ray. That really bothered Ray, even in his adult life decades later.

In 1991 I got Ray to set up an interview for me with Mike. I was training at Gold's Gym, Venice, where Ray got me a free 2 week pass. I discussed hypertrophy theory with Mike but neither of us changed

what we believed. I also gave Mike an article I wrote about the judging at the 1980 Mr Olympia. No magazine would publish that article. Now it is lost because I doubt Mike would have saved it because

I did not write that Mike was the winner. Then I asked him about the time he drove past Ray on the way to school. Mike couldn't remember that moment and said he wouldn't have done that. Well, Ray

was adamant that was what happened. So I had to conclude that Mike didn't see Ray that morning. I have no idea if Mike discussed that morning with Ray.

When Ray was training for the Mr America contest that he won he told me that his Mom was sick and that he would have trained 24 hours a day if that was what it took to win the title. Mike had already

won Mr America so now it was Ray's turn and yes, he did win that contest.

Ray told me a few times that his Dad favoured Mike. So there was Ray always trying to win the praise from his father. Mike did better academically and also won bigger titles. That sure motivated Ray to

try harder. Perhaps he also took risks that he should have avoided. When Mike turned to drugs after his loss in 1980 Ray told me his Dad urged Ray to give Mike a job at his Muscle Mill Gym in Torrance, Ca.

Ray did give Mike a job for a while but found out Mike would be nasty to several policemen training there so Ray lost customers. In the end it was Mike who looked after Ray. That seemed odd to me

because when I lived at Ray's place in April 1991 he had a successful rehab business using expensive Medx lower back and neck machines. He drove a red BMW 535 car and had plenty of money coming in.

He flew up to San Francisco to see someone about opening a second clinic up there. Somehow his marriage and businesses fell apart because Ray ended up alone and living with Mike in an apartment.

No doubt Mike was highly educated and intelligent. Those who knew Ray saw an earnest fellow who was also quite intelligent. So it is rather sad that two intelligent guys who won major bodybuilding

titles and were experts in hypertrophy and training didn't make it to 50 years old. Mike was 49 and Ray was 47.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1396 on: February 06, 2018, 02:34:36 AM »
some great stories here  8)

chuckles

« Reply #1397 on: February 06, 2018, 03:29:23 AM »
some great stories here  8)
as long as Vince is telling the truth..yes. He did seem to know them.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1398 on: February 06, 2018, 04:19:24 AM »
Mike Mentzer repeatedly said how smart he was and people repeated the same. Dropping out of pre med is not proof of his intelligence. He referred to him self as a genius on numerous occasions.  An intelligent person doesn't use speed, writing he thought he was too smart to suffer the mental side effects of the drug. An intelligent person doesn't blow all his money on out dated commercial video equipment that he barely knew how to operate. In his prime he was making 200K a year and that's the equivalent of making over a million a year  today. Think he would have invested that in some matter instead of using it to launch a fitness magazine?

I know some would say you have to excuse his choices in life and behavior because he suffered from mental illness bought on from drug abuse.  Maybe a valid point. Then again in order to become that "victim" you first have to make that choice of using speed.

I still find him the most influential person on my training philosophy. Everything he wrote back in the day I tore out of magazines and put into a binder. He had a distinct writing style. I might own the most complete selection of his writings in his prime competitive years.  Look at his incredible popularity. It's 2018 and look at the length of this thread. He is still the most influential bodybuilder outside of Arnold.

be back

« Reply #1399 on: February 06, 2018, 05:01:02 AM »
Sibling rivalry and motivation between Mike and Ray.

Ray told me a story about Mike not picking him up on the way to high school one morning. Mike had mates with him but drove right past Ray. That really bothered Ray, even in his adult life decades later.

In 1991 I got Ray to set up an interview for me with Mike. I was training at Gold's Gym, Venice, where Ray got me a free 2 week pass. I discussed hypertrophy theory with Mike but neither of us changed

what we believed. I also gave Mike an article I wrote about the judging at the 1980 Mr Olympia. No magazine would publish that article. Now it is lost because I doubt Mike would have saved it because

I did not write that Mike was the winner. Then I asked him about the time he drove past Ray on the way to school. Mike couldn't remember that moment and said he wouldn't have done that. Well, Ray

was adamant that was what happened. So I had to conclude that Mike didn't see Ray that morning. I have no idea if Mike discussed that morning with Ray.

When Ray was training for the Mr America contest that he won he told me that his Mom was sick and that he would have trained 24 hours a day if that was what it took to win the title. Mike had already

won Mr America so now it was Ray's turn and yes, he did win that contest.

Ray told me a few times that his Dad favoured Mike. So there was Ray always trying to win the praise from his father. Mike did better academically and also won bigger titles. That sure motivated Ray to

try harder. Perhaps he also took risks that he should have avoided. When Mike turned to drugs after his loss in 1980 Ray told me his Dad urged Ray to give Mike a job at his Muscle Mill Gym in Torrance, Ca.

Ray did give Mike a job for a while but found out Mike would be nasty to several policemen training there so Ray lost customers. In the end it was Mike who looked after Ray. That seemed odd to me

because when I lived at Ray's place in April 1991 he had a successful rehab business using expensive Medx lower back and neck machines. He drove a red BMW 535 car and had plenty of money coming in.

He flew up to San Francisco to see someone about opening a second clinic up there. Somehow his marriage and businesses fell apart because Ray ended up alone and living with Mike in an apartment.

No doubt Mike was highly educated and intelligent. Those who knew Ray saw an earnest fellow who was also quite intelligent. So it is rather sad that two intelligent guys who won major bodybuilding

titles and were experts in hypertrophy and training didn't make it to 50 years old. Mike was 49 and Ray was 47.

believable stories of peace

other posters take note...