Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Discussion  (Read 418125 times)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: Mike Mentzer - Discussion
« Reply #1400 on: February 06, 2018, 05:06:24 AM »
Mike Mentzer repeatedly said how smart he was and people repeated the same. Dropping out of pre med is not proof of his intelligence. He referred to him self as a genius on numerous occasions.  An intelligent person doesn't use speed writing he thought he was too smart to suffer the mental side effects of the drug. An intelligent person doesn't blow all his money on out dated commercial video equipment that he barely knew how to operate. In his prime he was making 200K a year and that's the equivalent of making over a million a year  today. Think he would have invested that in some matter instead of using it to launch a fitness magazine?

I know some would say you have to excuse his choices in life and behavior because he suffered from mental illness bought on from drug abuse.  Maybe a valid point. Then again in order to become that "victim" you first have to make that choice of using speed.

I still find him the most influential person on my training philosophy. Everything he wrote back in the day I tore out of magazines and put into a binder. He had a distinct writing style. I might own the most complete selection of his writings in his prime competitive years.  Look at his incredible popularity. It's 2018 and look at the length of this thread. He is still the most influential bodybuilder outside of Arnold.

Well stated. 

I like Mentzer and he was quite intelligent.  For a bodybuilder.  But the whole amphetamine thing just ruined his life but that doesn't discredit his writing and being intelligent for a bodybuilder may sound like damning him with faint praise but he was probably above average compared to the typical man on the street.  He just dumbed himself down with dope.  Too bad.   

Again, well stated and I agree with you, brother!

be back

« Reply #1401 on: February 06, 2018, 05:08:55 AM »
Well stated. 

I like Mentzer and he was quite intelligent.  For a bodybuilder.  But the whole amphetamine thing just ruined his life but that doesn't discredit his writing and being intelligent for a bodybuilder may sound like damning him with faint praise but he was probably above average compared to the typical man on the street.  He just dumbed himself down with dope.  Too bad.   

if he had just used 6gms of heroin a day instead of the amphetamine he would have been able to function normally

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #1402 on: February 06, 2018, 05:09:05 AM »
boyer coe, said mike was making good money before he died, markus reinhardt said this as well.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #1403 on: February 06, 2018, 05:10:39 AM »
Well stated. 

hey scott as a long time mentzer thread, i think the amphetamines are what led to him completely quitting bodybuilding and leaving weider,   mike still could have went on, and weider always liked him,  joe even let him advertise for free in his magazines in the early 90's when mike was getting back on his feet. 

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1404 on: February 06, 2018, 05:14:42 AM »
hey scott as a long time mentzer thread, i think the amphetamines are what led to him completely quitting bodybuilding and leaving weider,   mike still could have went on, and weider always liked him,  joe even let him advertise for free in his magazines in the early 90's when mike was getting back on his feet. 

I agree.  He could have been so much more in the world of bodybuilding.  He just quit and the drugs were probably a big part of that attitude.

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1405 on: February 06, 2018, 06:56:09 AM »
Nice odour of cigarette smoke emanating from mike when he walks back into the gym.

On a more serious note wasn’t this one of the last video’s he recorded
Both mike & ray died far too young - shame they were both in such poor health.

This video is telling in a way to me. The Mentzer brothers are still a unit, Ray talking about his kidney dialysis. Mike sitting there chain smoking........kind of a sad scene really. Seems like the only real relationship these two had was with themselves. Mike for such a young man looks and moves like a senior citizen. Actually like a very old senior citizen. Too bad Mikes narsisscm vot the best of him. The drugs and smoking.
h

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #1406 on: February 06, 2018, 07:19:04 AM »
at the end of the video , mentzer looks in pain when he gets up and moves

Congestive heart failure, blood clots, etc.....along with Ray's suffering from Berger's Disease, they knew that they didn't have much time.  Both were dead not too long after the video was complete
A

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1407 on: February 06, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »
Mike was a long time smoker even when he competed.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1408 on: February 07, 2018, 04:12:33 AM »

Do you smoke dim?

chess315

« Reply #1409 on: February 07, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »
Do you smoke dim?
you ever trained like mentzer dj it works I think because you never over train you always make slow steady progress

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #1410 on: February 08, 2018, 12:41:12 AM »
you ever trained like mentzer dj it works I think because you never over train you always make slow steady progress

I actually had phone consults with him back in 2000

He wamted me to train once a week dip/dead and squat/pulldowm

Couldnt do it as i had to train more often, he called me a "Wild Horse" 😎

He 1st one training 4 times a week was/is gold i bet

I am tooooo complusive to train any less than at least one time a day

Blakely said tis one time a week comppund lift training would only work for heavy gear users

Blakely is very intelligent and prób right

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #1411 on: February 11, 2018, 07:12:55 AM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1412 on: February 11, 2018, 08:04:38 AM »
I think that Mentzer's early 4 day routine was his best for pretty much everyone.  It is unreasonable to expect results every workout unless you include the one thing that truly separates us from them.  Drugs.  There is what is known as an "effective dose" for pretty much every drug made but it could be said that there's "effective" and then there's "ridiculously effective".

The latter one is probably based upon an individual's response and given the recent death of the idiot known as Dallas McCarver, more often than not exceeded a thousand times over by the idiots from the era of Dorian Yates on.  Arnold obviously knew his.  Mentzer too.  The guys in the 70s at the top of the game each knew what worked best for them and not to exceed it because not only the diminishing returns factor but also because they didn't want to mess with their future because no  one really knew what to expect down that road.  To know that just look at Coleman.  What a fucking retard.

The thing is to get the most from not so much the least, but rather what's best for each of us.  Mentzer's 4 day split probably does that for more people than anything else out there, especially natural trainers.  You may have to tailor it to your body with sets/reps being the key, but once you find the combination that opens your door you're on the way.  Having said that, don't fixate on just one path but shakes things up every once in a while. The mind controls the body.  Use less weight and more reps or more weight and less reps.  Take a week off or train an extra day.   

It's just training and there's more to life outside the gym than in it.  Mentzer showed us that truth.  Too bad he didn't stick to that road.   He might have lived not only a longer life, but a happier and healthier one.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1413 on: February 11, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »
Mike looked his best when he was using his rotation for recuperation that he took from Mr. Florida Frank Calta. Monday he did legs-chest-triceps. Wednesday he did back, delt and biceps. Friday he was back to legs-chest-triceps. Next Monday he rotated back to doing back-delt and biceps with Wednesday being leg-chest and triceps. The rotation kept going. He trained like this for the 1980 Olympia. 

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1414 on: February 11, 2018, 10:10:05 AM »
Mike looked his best when he was using his rotation for recuperation that he took from Mr. Florida Frank Calta. Monday he did legs-chest-triceps. Wednesday he did back, delt and biceps. Friday he was back to legs-chest-triceps. Next Monday he rotated back to doing back-delt and biceps with Wednesday being leg-chest and triceps. The rotation kept going. He trained like this for the 1980 Olympia. 

Sounds good to me!  Thanks, brother!

chuckles

« Reply #1415 on: February 14, 2018, 03:27:07 AM »

Blakely said tis one time a week comppund lift training would only work for heavy gear users

Squat 2x a week & you will be as big as a house.  ;)

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #1416 on: February 14, 2018, 03:33:20 AM »
Squat 2x a week & you will be as big as a house.  ;)

::)

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1417 on: February 14, 2018, 11:35:06 AM »
Where did you get that from?  He started smoking in the mid 80s when he got heavily into Ayn Rand.. she smoked, he figured emulate the master lol.. told me that to my face. I used to smoke , so I can't judge. Lent him a cigarette more than once after training outside Gold's after training. god we were stupid.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1418 on: February 14, 2018, 11:38:38 AM »
boyer coe, said mike was making good money before he died, markus reinhardt said this as well.
He was,  as early as 1991 he was making $4000 a month just from training,  he showed me his notebook. Said the before he was only making $ 90 on some days, was going to give up, then made $2000 in a month so kept going. After 91 his rates went way up but he still let pay $40 a session, because he liked me and I wasn't making a lot then.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1419 on: February 14, 2018, 11:39:45 AM »

HAHA, that sounds EXACTLY like something he would say. Nice!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #1420 on: February 14, 2018, 11:41:36 AM »

I made my first really good progress using that routine which I had read about in a mag (I'm pretty sure it was Muscle Mag International).  It was easy to follow and fit my schedule (was in high school at the time)

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #1421 on: February 14, 2018, 11:48:21 AM »
Sounds good to me!  Thanks, brother!

This works great, I never made great gains until I made this switch. It's also a fun way to train, doesn't feel like you get stuck in a rut.  This was the germination of his later approach too.. so he did practice what he preached. It was only when working with clients- genetically average or less  and not on steroids that he realized that most people couldnt handle the number of sets he used while also going to full positive and negative failure on every set.and training 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off. they just weren't progressing.. I went backwards for a bit, then when he cut the volume back, and inserting more rest days.. I jumped from 240 ish where I had been stuck to over 260.  Added creatine and HMB for a month, and ate more- was always fucking hungry, and his 285= not lean at all, but 53' chest and 43' waist at 6'2, was a tank lol.  Later I learned how to meal plan better, which he was not big on teaching at all :(

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #1422 on: February 27, 2018, 05:48:15 PM »
 :)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1423 on: February 27, 2018, 05:50:25 PM »
Where did you get that from?  He started smoking in the mid 80s when he got heavily into Ayn Rand.. she smoked, he figured emulate the master lol.. told me that to my face. I used to smoke , so I can't judge. Lent him a cigarette more than once after training outside Gold's after training. god we were stupid.

From a guy that I know that knew him.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #1424 on: February 27, 2018, 06:53:21 PM »

That’s a program I started doing in the 90’s and led to most  of my gains! I put on about 20 pounds in 3 years that way and then plateaued. It is probably the best routine out there for natural bodybuilders.