Author Topic: Hang cleans  (Read 4578 times)

jollygiant

Hang cleans
« on: April 10, 2017, 05:42:16 AM »
any of you guys do these for traps? did some today and my Traps were really pumped. Did them instead of upright rows and liked them. also how do you post a video on here?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Hang cleans
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »
Always did power cleans from the floor. I know a lot of guys do hang cleans but I always did it from the floor. Nothing improved my sprinting speed and vertical leap better than Olympic lifts. I probably won't be doing them ever again because it jams up my bad shoulder when I jerk the weight over head. Olympic lifting should be called power lifting and power lifting should be called strength lifting.

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »
Just recently dropped hang clean after a solid year of progressing them due to elbow issues incurred from the eccentric portion of the lift. My traps and side/rear delts responded extremely well and after my joint issues are resolved I intend to return to them and fine tune my lowering technique so as to avoid future elbow irritation.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 08:28:21 AM »
Excellent movement, a mass builder for a lot of people.

Have  done hanging cleans and also from a PR (power rack) which both  develops quickness in lifting (just to note, quickness and speed are not the same thing ) as well as size and strength.

My own personal selection are High Pulls, which some lifters  find are kinder to their shouilder girdle. Some found that the  quick turning of the wrist/elbows, during cleans, took toll on them after a while. Most noticed when getting older. With Hi-pull, not that much of a problem. Both exercises are superior any which you may use them. I use a PR for pulls, pin around knee level. I also used DB Hi-pulls(and DB cleans from time to time) from time to time, which insures equal strengh and development.

Cleans or Hi-pulls can be an exceptional stamina builder (endurance plus strength) when done in higher reps..like 12 to 20. Personal view is that one of the top movement for building stamina is the Squat Clean for higher reps. Throw in the jerk and that is an ultimate  all around exercise.....the Squat Clean and Jerk.

Good Luck

F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 05:50:51 AM »
Power though related to strength is a different entity.  Power is the most important factor in so many athletic endeavors. When you throw a punch, sprint, jump, take down an opponent, hit a ball, and so much else it's power than beats the competition. I see this all the time with big bench press guys in my gym when they hit the heavy bag. They have no power and punch with zero authority. Power is how fast you can release strength. Fast lifting as in cleans, snatches, high pulls, jerks increases power.