Author Topic: Blue Stars and DOMS.  (Read 121451 times)

Surfboard 1717

Re: Blue Stars and DOMS.
« Reply #525 on: April 30, 2017, 04:49:33 AM »

Paul Graham got the trophies. Can't tell you much about them. We won one for the best support gym. It was about 30 inches high. Paul said there was no time to present it at the contest. Nice one, Paul.

A group of bodybuilders had a meeting at my gym several days after the contest and decided to form a new bb organization. We sent the trophy we won to Chris Dickerson. It read, " To Chris Dickerson,

Mr Olympia 1980 from the bodybuilders of Australia". According to Randy Roach, Chris is proud of that trophy.

:'( :'( :'(

" United " Body Builders of Australia , long time dead 'organization'   :'( :'( :'(

Plastic rubbish & C.D. is "proud" of that  ::) ::) ::)

;D

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #526 on: April 30, 2017, 07:13:34 AM »
Thanks, Vince   8)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #527 on: April 30, 2017, 08:46:40 PM »
Found this photo. Not in good condition. Will look for the negative. Franco put on a seminar at our gym after the 1980 Mr Olympia contest in Sydney. Arnold was there. So was Bev Francis.

Not a good seminar for bodybuilding info but okay for chiropractor demonstrations. Arnold took Bev for a short drive after this photo was taken. I suppose they wanted to know her secret

to being so muscular and strong. Bev was the first woman to bench 300 pounds officially. She also posed at the Mr Olympia 1980 and the crowd gave her lots of applause. We were wondering

how she would be accepted. No worries there at all.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #528 on: April 30, 2017, 11:26:53 PM »
Interesting. I see a T-shirt with a print that promotes Mr Olympia's contest in Australia on him. And in the middle.. Arnold Schwarzenegger. As if they knew that Arnold will compete. ;D

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #529 on: April 30, 2017, 11:35:38 PM »
Found this photo. Not in good condition. Will look for the negative. Franco put on a seminar at our gym after the 1980 Mr Olympia contest in Sydney. Arnold was there. So was Bev Francis.

Not a good seminar for bodybuilding info but okay for chiropractor demonstrations. Arnold took Bev for a short drive after this photo was taken. I suppose they wanted to know her secret

to being so muscular and strong. Bev was the first woman to bench 300 pounds officially. She also posed at the Mr Olympia 1980 and the crowd gave her lots of applause. We were wondering

how she would be accepted. No worries there at all.

is it the first time this photo is online? Arnold fans would love that fact  :)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #530 on: April 30, 2017, 11:44:46 PM »
Interesting. I see a T-shirt with a print that promotes Mr Olympia's contest in Australia on him. And in the middle.. Arnold Schwarzenegger. As if they knew that Arnold will compete. ;D

Our gym sold 200 tickets to that contest. When I picked up more tickets from Paul Graham he told me Arnold was entering. I guess to help sell more tickets which it did.

On the morning of the contest I was at the Bondi Beach motel where most of the competitors were staying. Zane moved out because Christine didn't like the huge cockroaches that flew

into the rooms! Arnold was at the Hilton Hotel in the city. I told a couple of competitors that Arnold was entering but I don't think they believed me.

Promoting a bodybuilding contest in the main concert hall of the Opera House costs a lot of money. Add all the air fares and accommodation for the judges, officials and competitors.

Then there was prize money. $20,000 to the winner. Trophies and advertising. Well, this was the last Olympia where they awarded trophies for places. We heard that Paul lost money

on the show. Paul held a "Mr Universe" contest in the same concert hall in 1979 that Roy Callendar won. That is how I was able to choose the right seat in the middle of the hall to take

photos. All the other photographers were either on the stage, like Nailon, or down near the front. I got a seat next to me for John Balik for the night show. He swapped his seat at the front

with a happy gym member. My camera jammed just before the posedown. I was shooting slides so didn't have any of the presentations. Balik did. In the end I sold my slides and negatives

to Nailon with a clause allowing me to make copies of the photos if I wanted. Two years ago I asked Robert if he had the negatives and slides. I was at his place with my laptop and scanner.

Nope, everything now belonged to his son Scott who refused to let me make copies. We couldn't find the copy of the contract so Nailon refuses to uphold the agreement.

Trust in God but tie your camel!

I edited this photo to put the competitors closer. Removed Roger Walker and the background.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #531 on: April 30, 2017, 11:47:37 PM »
is it the first time this photo is online? Arnold fans would love that fact  :)

Yes, as far as I know. Not bad for a thread on Getbig.

By the way, the photos I have posted here re the 1980 Mr Olympia are edited from photos I took in the past.

I posted them at a large size so comparisons can be made about this controversial contest.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #532 on: April 30, 2017, 11:52:52 PM »
Yes, as far as I know. Not bad for a thread on Getbig.

Good job, Basile. And for the record, I support your quest for blue stars!

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #533 on: May 01, 2017, 12:10:35 AM »
The Opera House scene  8)

Surfboard 1717

« Reply #534 on: May 01, 2017, 03:44:23 AM »

to Nailon with a clause allowing me to make copies of the photos if I wanted. Two years ago I asked Robert if he had the negatives and slides. I was at his place with my laptop and scanner.

Nope, everything now belonged to his son Scott who refused to let me make copies. We couldn't find the copy of the contract so Nailon refuses to uphold the agreement.

:'( :'( :'(

;D ;D ;D

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #535 on: May 01, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »
Why does this photo look shopped?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #536 on: May 01, 2017, 05:47:37 AM »
▲▲▲ the right arm is shopped

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #537 on: May 01, 2017, 05:56:51 AM »
Why does this photo look shopped?

Well, the photo is from the cover and not the original slide. There was an orange cast to the skin. Nothing changed on the physique.

Tried to get rid of the grain caused by printing. Then a bit of colour correction. Anyone with a copy of IronMan can compare the photos.

IronMan considers this cover one of their very best they have published. If we judged the contest on one photo he would have won that

Olympia.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #538 on: May 01, 2017, 06:01:42 AM »
Here is a Black and White version of the photo with the background removed. They reversed the photo on the cover so here is what the original pose looked like.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #539 on: May 01, 2017, 06:04:13 AM »
The original cover magazine from 1981

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #540 on: May 01, 2017, 06:11:29 AM »
Here is the Muscle Digest cover of Arnold winning the 1980 Mr Olympia.

I edited it a bit just now.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #541 on: May 01, 2017, 06:16:42 AM »

Why are you editing your original photos?   ???

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #542 on: May 01, 2017, 06:59:11 AM »

Unfortunately, they put the mirror version. That is the right arm, not the left

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #543 on: May 01, 2017, 07:06:09 AM »
Unfortunately, they put the mirror version. That is the right arm, not the left

Yes, editors like to have the bodybuilding action going from left to right.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #544 on: May 01, 2017, 07:07:50 AM »
Why are you editing your original photos?   ???

Nailon has my original negatives and slides. All I am doing is editing the copies that I have from covers published by magazines.

In those days they didn't have much ability to colour correct photos. I can do that easier now.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #545 on: May 01, 2017, 07:10:02 AM »
Nailon has my original negatives and slides. All I am doing is editing the copies that I have from covers published by magazines.

In those days they didn't have much ability to colour correct photos. I can do that easier now.

vince

it seem convenient that all the famous photos you claim to have taken

are not backed up by the original negatives

T

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #546 on: May 01, 2017, 07:14:38 AM »
vince

it seem convenient that all the famous photos you claim to have taken

are not backed up by the original negatives

You are a persistent ignoramus and certified dope. Do yourself a favour and refrain from demonstrating your stupidity in my threads.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #547 on: May 01, 2017, 07:19:41 AM »
Mr. Basile,

Are you angry that most people would recognize Arnold at an expo but most, if not all, would not recognize you?
X

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #548 on: May 01, 2017, 07:20:06 AM »
You are a persistent ignoramus and certified dope. Do yourself a favour and refrain from demonstrating your stupidity in my threads.

vince throwing a tantrum will not get us anywhere

its a very reasonable question to ask

can you prove ownership of any of these photos

T

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #549 on: May 01, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »

Vince, can you post some original Polaroids from your collection?  I would love to view some never before seen photos from the 70's to 80's era.