Author Topic: Tom PLATZ 1981  (Read 20814 times)

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
Re: Tom PLATZ 1981
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 04:59:13 AM »
not even close padillas conditioning blows away tom platz's 

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 05:54:52 AM »
Danny had a few raw deals his way...maybe Weider just didn't like him
the story he told about him getting 300(perfect score) and Robbie getting 298 and the multiple posedowns before they announced Robbie as the winner tops pretty much anything I have heard about corrupt judging.

Yes that is true.
Sadly as competitors we know that at times the judging isn't always as it should be
And the winner isn't always the best all round physique on stage.

It's happened to me & no doubt you - as well as many others
as I have seen at various competions - yes it's wrong.
Only We compete knowing this - so why moan if & when it does,
It's not going to change the results.

If you can't handle that this is a likely outcome don't compete,
Like Mike Mentzer didn't anymore.

As a subjectively judged sport the corrupt judges have a get out clause.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 06:52:25 AM »
Danny was absolutely flawless. That was as good as a physique can get. But for the Mr. O title I would have given it to Platz because of the "wow" factor. Danny was so short and looked overwhelmed standing next to Platz. Platz not only was bigger for this show but he had a far more polished look than he ever had before. He looked like he put himself through hell that year and emerge stepping out of the flames a different person.

I know I mentioned it before, but after that show I became so disillusioned with bbing. I don't think Arnold should have won the year before but he was close enough. The travesty that was '81 and imagining what Padilla and Platz put themselves through that year to come at their all time best convinced me that sport was corrupt and based on politics and I stopped following it until around the early 2000s when I saw that Coleman vid "Unbelievable" and realize how much has changed. Missed the whole Hany, Yates and most of Coleman's era

Your first paragraph is right on the money. I was at the show and I thought Platz had it all the way. Danny looks perfect in pictures or by himself but next to Platz and Callendar, he looked kind of small. Platz definitely had the Wow factor and, as you said, his physique looked like he killed himself all year preparing for the show. That was his year.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 06:59:32 AM »
Tom P

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 07:09:20 AM »
Tom and Jusup, the german giant

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 07:12:54 AM »
Tom and Roy C

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 07:33:45 AM »

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 07:47:17 AM »
The judges and and how they voted

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
5th..  >:(

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 07:52:58 AM »
Tom and Jusup, the german giant

Jesup hard as nails. Guy looked like a Greek statue carved out of marble. Unfortunately nothing happened when he posed. No pop or wow factor.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »
Tom and Roy C

Roy Callender had been the owner several years prior during that peak time of his of that original gym I mentioned in the other post that I first joined in 1986. One of the guys I had befriended there who had his pics on the wall for winning the teen canada in 81 or 82 ish had been mentored/trained by roy(this was back in the day when owners/managers of gyms were more hands on and would help members with their goals usually without payment). Anyways he mentioned how Roy wouild come in during even the most shittiest winter weather, the kind where you had to put on multiple layers of clothing, being Montreal and all, remove all the snow from the car etc, come to gym, open up, train for hours(like 4-5 hours a day, he was known for long ass workouts) plus  running the gym, wrap back up in the winter clothes, snow off the car, back in the shit weather and do it day after day after day during those competitive years.

Telling this second hand obviously, but the 4-5 hour training sessions and the layers of winter clothing/weather stick out 110% in my mind from what I was told.

But yeah, apparently Roy's work ethic in the gym was legendary and up there with all those guys back then. Seems like they followed the pattern of training, eat, sleep, drugs instead of the one today which seems to be drugs, eat, sleep, drugs, eat sleep, drugs eat sleep, then train
"

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
I would have had Roy in second place.

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 10:07:23 AM »
 8)

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »
 8)

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 10:11:05 AM »
 8)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »
tom platz had a compact /thick/stumpy due to legs massive look to his build,short torso ,like kai greene ,this type needs to be in top condition to show well.he is a legend and 81 looked fantastic..

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 10:34:55 AM »

I think it's super-rare to have a shorter BB have perfect proportions, and Danny was that man.  I'm struggling to think of anyone else that height that ever came close...

And I've seen people suggest that Gaspari was one of the first to present the skinless modern conditioning, but there are shots in this thread of Tom's feathered back and striated quads that some of the modern guys don't present.

And what WAS the deal with Tom's jaw development?  Did he bite down a lot when training, or what LOL?
T

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »
I think it's super-rare to have a shorter BB have perfect proportions, and Danny was that man.  I'm struggling to think of anyone else that height that ever came close...

And I've seen people suggest that Gaspari was one of the first to present the skinless modern conditioning, but there are shots in this thread of Tom's feathered back and striated quads that some of the modern guys don't present.

And what WAS the deal with Tom's jaw development?  Did he bite down a lot when training, or what LOL?

His whole family had the same jawline.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
Callender looked amazing in those shots.

Simple Simon

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 12:39:49 PM »

Yes that is true.
Sadly as competitors we know that at times the judging isn't always as it should be
And the winner isn't always the best all round physique on stage.

It's happened to me & no doubt you - as well as many others
as I have seen at various competions - yes it's wrong.
Only We compete knowing this - so why moan if & when it does,
It's not going to change the results.

If you can't handle that this is a likely outcome don't compete,
Like Mike Mentzer didn't anymore.

As a subjectively judged sport the corrupt judges have a get out clause.

agreed mate, if you compete long enough you will lose a show you should have won and win a show you shouldn't have.

I take it as it comes, its a subjective sport mate, cant cry about it.
I remember Rob Wall getting the nod over Terry Fisher at the NABBA Britain in 89, Rob came out onstage shaking his head and actually passed the winners trophy to Terry for the photos, the officials made them swap back after.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »
Just under 5'7" and 218 pounds onstage that year (235 offseason). The best he ever was and would ever be.

That was Platz year, Padilla second

WooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  TA NA KA

Simple Simon

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »
I think it's super-rare to have a shorter BB have perfect proportions, and Danny was that man.  I'm struggling to think of anyone else that height that ever came close...

And what WAS the deal with Tom's jaw development? Did he bite down a lot when training, or what LOL?
Genetic, Frank Richards had a similar trait.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2017, 02:57:55 PM »
Callender looked amazing in those shots.

Easy to over look Callender but he was also at his best. Even Padilla said that if Callender won he wouldn't have had a problem with it.

Platz, Padilla, Callendar. All arguably interchangable but all solid top three finishers.

Worse, worse Olympia ever.

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2017, 12:04:39 AM »
Padilla

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2017, 12:34:18 AM »
1. Callender