Author Topic: PDI and IFBB athletes switching contests?  (Read 21441 times)

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: PDI Thought...
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2006, 03:47:48 PM »
htey'll be able to compete in the IFBB //like aaron baker ws about to 'compete'...  ::)
carpe` vaginum!

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2006, 03:48:41 PM »
 It will probably get ugly.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2006, 03:49:45 PM »
Sean M's an "expert" at poorly concealing his agenda.

why don't you tell us what you think first, sean? or would that be too bold a move? why not let a bunch of getbiggers do your dirty work for you?

Of course, if people like Jack London (and Vinny G, who I don't want to bag on as he seems like a good guy) are PDI athletes, any reasonable fan will look askance at the PDI.  Jack clearly could not cut it in the NPC, and to recognize him as "pro" would undermine the IFBB's already shaky credibility (look at any of the 3rd tier IFBB bbs--they would not ever place in an NPC pro qualifier).

therefore, the IFBB will not, and should not, have reciprocity with an organization that opens with and appears to want to play a weak hand. 

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2006, 03:54:39 PM »
Yes, they should be allowed to compete in any show.    We know that PDI will start with a base of NABBA Wabba and Yabba Dabba doo guys.     Probably even some top amatuers that arent worthy.
But so what??   If they clog the stage, they wont make it past the first round in pre-judging.

Meanwhile the promoters will be competing for attendance at their shows....so theyll raise prizemoney and make sure they have thier crap together, or the fans will remember.
The IFBB wont want to look worse than PDI and vice versa.

This will mean more shows in more localities and increase exposure of the sport (sic).
Remember, your next door neighbor doesnt know the difference between Mr delaware or mr Universe.   So the fan base can be built.................an d .........Im spent...Grrrrr Baby.!

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2006, 03:55:20 PM »

why don't you tell us what you think first, sean? or would that be too bold a move?

Of course, if people like Jack London (and Vinny G, who I don't want to bag on as he seems like a good guy) are PDI athletes, any reasonable fan will look askance at the PDI.  Jack clearly could not cut it in the NPC, and to recognize him as "pro" would undermine the IFBB's already shaky credibility (look at any of the 3rd tier IFBB bbs--they would not ever place in an NPC pro qualifier).

therefore, the IFBB will not, and should not, have reciprocity with an organization that opens with and appears to want to play a weak hand. 

That's why it cracks me up when people call Chick a third tier pro. They are so off-base. A real third tier pro is someone who doesn't even look good at all. Those guys who place 17th at the New York and look worse than if they had never trained at all.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2006, 03:58:43 PM »
No agenda... of course I don't think they should (at this juncture). Depending on the PDI's growth, along with it's proposed amateur division, I do see how this could possibly change, similar as to how it was in the late 60's early 70's.

things could change in the future, but it's an inauspicious beginning to extend "Pro" status to competitors who could not make the cut in the NPC.  NOC competitors should have been vetted by coming up through an "amateur division," or even the proposed "Pro qualifiers." Maybe DeMilia was operating under some mistaken notion of his current "signees" marketability.

Unfortunately, credibility once lost is almost impossible to regain.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2006, 04:14:56 PM »
You guys are missing the point.    The goal is to market to the public in general....you say 3rd tier pro and crap....but read my post above.   Get more shows out there. Your ideas of what a tier pro is will come falling down.   The general masses wont give a sh*t.
It will only be frustrating to us cuz were entrenched with preconcieved notions of what a pro should look like.    If they can do 25 shows or whatever....you can bet the IFBB or AMI will pick up the pace in a hurry.     Only good can come from this.

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2006, 05:05:45 PM »
bodybuilding isn't supposed to be mainstream............  it's a cult/freak sport and it needs to remain that way.

if you wanna call it men's figure   then go ahead.........  but real bodybuilding is seeing/being the most developed bodies on the planet.

bodybuilding isn't socially exceptable and that's what makes it great.

why would average bodybuilders be more marketable than the current batch of pros??

demilia is a great promoter and knows what he's doing  but i don't know what he's thinking with this thing.

thats just what i think......i could be wrong.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2006, 05:20:36 PM »
This I agree with 100%.

why don't you define what you're calling "good"?

In my line of work, what's good for me, isn't good for everybody.

So tell us who it'll be good for and how.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2006, 05:32:18 PM »
bodybuilding isn't supposed to be mainstream............  it's a cult/freak sport and it needs to remain that way.

if you wanna call it men's figure   then go ahead.........  but real bodybuilding is seeing/being the most developed bodies on the planet.

bodybuilding isn't socially exceptable and that's what makes it great.

why would average bodybuilders be more marketable than the current batch of pros??

demilia is a great promoter and knows what he's doing  but i don't know what he's thinking with this thing.

thats just what i think......i could be wrong.

The people who think bodybuilding is gay/vain would not find smaller guys any less gay/vain. I agree with you.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2006, 05:38:24 PM »
1:   Itll be good to stop the downward trend that AMI is pushing us into.  With a monopoly hold on the athletes, they were making it apparant that they were saying    " Hey, were gonna use you for covers to sell our supplements and then were going to shit you out when your kidneys fail...and your gonna like it.
Well so be it, but at least the athletes should have a couple nickels in their pockets for the trouble.

2:  promoters competing for business.....means better locations and maybe publicity in the local area for the show.   If i was a promoter id think of ways to get the guys to my show...thats the point.

3:  I never expect BBing to be mainstream...but a little above a Cult would be nice.

4:  I could go on and on ......................

RHINO290

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2006, 05:50:56 PM »

why don't you tell us what you think first, sean? or would that be too bold a move? why not let a bunch of getbiggers do your dirty work for you?

When you bash me like this, all it does is set you up to look bad. I wonder what you will say when I make you eat those words and beat some of the ifbb crossovers. All I have to do is beat 1, and when I do, your crediblity is out the door.

I just can't wait.

RHINO290

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2006, 05:52:52 PM »
I'm certain that everyone is in agreement that current IFBB pros should be able to compete in both IFBB and PDI sanctioned competitions. What are your opinions on PDI exclusive pros doing the same? Reasons as to why or why not, please...

Sean, although we have had our differences, you have been a gentleman, and because you questioned it, it will be you I address this point to...

I got my contract bro, signed sealed, and delivered.....

we cool now?

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2006, 06:01:34 PM »
When you bash me like this, all it does is set you up to look bad. I wonder what you will say when I make you eat those words and beat some of the ifbb crossovers. All I have to do is beat 1, and when I do, your crediblity is out the door.

I just can't wait.

1.  In order for the PDI to do any "good," they have to put out a quality product.  Right now the PDI's product doesn't look good. 

If Richard Jones and Vince Taylor show up in the shape of their lives . . . then the PDI will be viable and attract fans that the IFBB hasn't been targeting in recent years. 

An in-shape Lee Priest will also appeal to existing fans.

EDIT: I should have said "a product someone actually wants" instead of a "quality product."

2. I am not bashing you in this thread, so don't start this shit here.  Read my comments about the third tier of IFBB pros . . . beating them does nothing. 

To be honest, you don't matter for the future of the IFBB, and you're hurting the PDI with the way you look and the way you conduct yourself.

I know you want this b/c its your dream . . . but there is also a bigger picture involved, and deep down you know this too. 

lonewolf

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2006, 06:05:49 PM »
Rhino,
You have to understsand that these PDI bashers and freak worshippers cannot see beyond
what has been drummed into their heads by people who don't think beyond how much they can siphon from the sport. They don't have any conception that there is another standard that can be achieved, or the possibility that the fan base can be expanded by making it more
appealing to mainstream audiences as was the case when women bodybuilding was selling out huge auditoriums during the 80s. Their ignorance is being fueled by pseudo experts and so
called authorities on this site.

RHINO290

« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2006, 06:06:29 PM »

1.  In order for the PDI to do any "good," they have to put out a quality product.  Right now the PDI's product doesn't look good. 

If Richard Jones and Vince Taylor show up in the shape of their lives . . . then the PDI will be viable and attract fans that the IFBB hasn't been targeting in recent years. 

An in-shape Lee Priest will also appeal to existing fans.

2. I am not bashing you in this thread, so don't start this shit here.  Read my comments about the third tier of IFBB pros . . . beating them does nothing. 

To be honest, you don't matter for the future of the IFBB, and you're hurting the PDI with the way you look and the way you conduct yourself.

I know you want this b/c its your dream . . . but there is also a bigger picture involved, and deep down you know this too. 

You should listen to yourself......do you really believe this non-sense?

whatever

RHINO290

« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2006, 06:09:33 PM »
Rhino,
You have to understsand that these PDI bashers and freak worshippers cannot see beyond
what has been drummed into their heads by people who don't think beyond how much they can siphon from the sport. They don't have any conception that there is another standard that can be achieved, or the possibility that the fan base can be expanded by making it more
appealing to mainstream audiences as was the case when women bodybuilding was selling out huge auditoriums during the 80s. Their ignorance is being fueled by pseudo experts and so
called authorities on this site.

So very true, but what really kills me is that these so called "experts" attack me personally and otherwise, and when I dish it back to the in defense, they say "you should conduct yourself better"

can you say double standard? Meanwhile I have never attacked anyone, other than in rebuttal..

I don't know why I bother

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2006, 06:10:21 PM »
I'm not in agreement.  I'm of the opinion that the federations should be seperate in order to create decent competition and thus make it better for the athletes in the end.

I actually beleve that the end result will be something akin to what happened to rugby league in australia when this same thing happened.. a few years with two seperate competitions, neither really getting the better of each other before they unified again under a better comp.

I would not be suprised for the PDI to merge with the IFBB to make some new federation in years to come.  How much would it take?  I suppose if Wayne gets himself a cushy deal he could well pack it in and accept a merge.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2006, 06:16:18 PM »

Still 5+ months until the NOC.  A lot of guys can switch over by then.  Many are waiting to milk the most out of their existing shows and opportunities.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2006, 06:17:27 PM »
Still 5+ months until the NOC.  A lot of guys can switch over by then.  Many are waiting to milk the most out of their existing shows and opportunities.

I'm not disputing this . . .

And Rocket also made some good points about what will happen if the PDI is successful.

DragonsBreath

• Getbig III
  • Been to Hell and back! NEXT!
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2006, 06:19:50 PM »
We'll all be surprised who switches from the TITANIC IFBB come May, when the real NOC returns to NY.

Slick Vic

« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2006, 06:21:05 PM »
It will probably get ugly.
That's what I'm saying. Isn't that how it got with the WBF?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2006, 06:23:01 PM »
I'm of the opinion that the federations should be seperate in order to create decent competition and thus make it better for the athletes in the end.

I agree 100%, and cannot see, for the life of my, why men like Bob Chick bash the PDI nonstop.  The PDI helps athletes on both sides.  If you stay with the IFBB, your placings will improve cause some guys will not be competing.  If you move to the PDI, you have a huge opportunity to make money riding that initial push from MD to endorsements and show winnings without the guaranteed Coleman-Cutler-Gustavo roadblack at every show.

Only a brainwashed fool would blindly hate on the PDI.  The bottom line is, it will ONLY hurt the weiders.  Everyone else will likely advance from it- athletes, fans, and sponsors/companies.  What is there to lose?

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2006, 06:23:54 PM »
We'll all be surprised who switches from the TITANIC IFBB come May, when the real NOC returns to NY.

I hope you're right . . . I'd like to think that Sideshow Jack was just a bone thrown to the wolves to start an attention-getting feeding frenzy. 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2006, 06:24:52 PM »
I agree 100%, and cannot see, for the life of my, why men like Bob Chick bash the PDI nonstop.  The PDI helps athletes on both sides.  If you stay with the IFBB, your placings will improve cause some guys will not be competing.  If you move to the PDI, you have a huge opportunity to make money riding that initial push from MD to endorsements and show winnings without the guaranteed Coleman-Cutler-Gustavo roadblack at every show.

Only a brainwashed fool would blindly hate on the PDI.  The bottom line is, it will ONLY hurt the weiders.  Everyone else will likely advance from it- athletes, fans, and sponsors/companies.  What is there to lose?

read the end of his post . . . the Weiders or their successors will probably wind up laughing all the way to the bank.