Author Topic: DB Pullover hurts on negatives  (Read 1665 times)

GoneAway

• Getbig V
DB Pullover hurts on negatives
« on: April 06, 2006, 07:06:29 AM »
It's been like this for as long as I can remember. Firstly, I warm up using light weight for about 10 - 12 reps, full ROM. Then the "work" set of the DB Pullovers is about 10 reps, but it's more like a warm up, since I'm not going to failure, and feel I could do 50 reps, which I don't want to do, but may have to. Reason for using such light weight is explained below.

Then, I move up in weight by 5 pounds (that's all it takes to trigger it.) After a few reps, it starts to twinge in my right rotator cuff on the way down, but then after 6-8 it really hurts and I can't complete a full stretch. It's only the right arm. I've tried elbows out and to the front, no difference. Thinking of trying machine pullovers.

Anyone have the same problem or any advice? Thanks.

absent

Re: DB Pullover hurts on negatives
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 07:07:33 AM »
Yes, the DB pullover is a piece of shit. Use a barbell instead and keep your arms straight.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 07:23:03 AM »
Iv been using Db's when i do pullover and press,is barbell or EZ bar better for the pullover and press then the DB? Iv always liked using the DB but and curious.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 08:00:15 AM »
An E-Z barbell or dumbbell will be very similar, try each and see whether one helps more. Also try using a hammer grip barbell. Can also do a kneeling pullover facing the lat high pulley and rope attachment.

The machine pullover's the best version of all of them, might even be the single best lat exercise.

Do at least 2 good warmup sets first and rotate the arms in between warmups.

If you still have pain on every type of pullover, do another lat exercise first to further warm up the area.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 10:20:56 AM »
That 5 extra pounds may be affecting your range of motion putting a different kind of stress on your rotator.  I would stick with the lighter weight until you get stronger for 3-4 weeks then ease into the 5 extra pounds and see if it's any different. That 3-4 weeks might be long enough to get the inflamation out of your shoulder providing you don't tweak it doing something else.  Sometimes an extra 5 pounds is all it takes.

My .02