Author Topic: Bodybuilders in relationships with "civilians"  (Read 6338 times)

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
Bodybuilders in relationships with "civilians"
« on: May 27, 2017, 02:17:36 PM »
Does your spouse or significant other take part in the bodybuilding lifestyle or are they a "civilian" to the entire sport? 

Which do you think is more common, couples where both are into it or couples where one is a full on civilian (even if they may work out a little and still be generally in shape).

Also, I think when the partner comes to the gym with the bodybuilder regularly then they lose their civilian status.

(This is not a Howard troll).

Strongmanfan

• Getbig III
Re: Bodybuilders in relationships with "civilians"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 06:28:09 PM »
Erik Fankhouser and wife.  She was extremely supportive.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 08:01:55 PM »
Does your spouse or significant other take part in the bodybuilding lifestyle or are they a "civilian" to the entire sport? 

Which do you think is more common, couples where both are into it or couples where one is a full on civilian (even if they may work out a little and still be generally in shape).

Also, I think when the partner comes to the gym with the bodybuilder regularly then they lose their civilian status.

yes, my current girl does- she completes in figure, same gym as me. so - we understand pre-contest/no drinking/do our cheat meals together. we are in a fun casual low key friends relationship.  we werent seeking it, kinda just happened - super happy

prior gf, knew i was into it, competed and it is "my thing" she knew it was my thing. cheered me on and was supportive

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »
Doesn't really workout (no pun). See the girl will complain that you spend too much time in the gym, or she will eat shitty and bring your diet down, or she'll get crazy with the fine workout chicks at the gym. 
It's good for a fling and to get worshipped

I've seen it work though

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »
I don't think it matters either way.

Been with all types. Seen all types together. It's hard no matter what and doesn't seem to really make a difference.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 08:24:22 PM »
I prefer to be with a woman who doesn't bodybuild or even see the gym for that matter. Having dated " fitness oriented " women in my past ; well, it just turned out to be a headache for me, as I like to separate my personal life from my gym life ( which they were not able to do ).

My son's mother ( who I'm off and on again with ) drinks beer like it's water, eats junk all day long, and NEVER works out, yet has a 6-pack and weighs 120 lbs at 5'5". And I personally love it, even though I'm currently dieting. But when I'm not, we eat like royalty lol. And on top of that, she shows little interest in my passion, which I also love. And like most women, she loves the abs when dieting, but not the soft belly when I get up to 300 lbs or so lol.

And my thoughts echo previous posters. I've seen all types as well. But you would be VERY surprised how many competitor's partners look like they've never seen a gym.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 08:41:09 PM »
I don't think it matters either way.

Been with all types. Seen all types together. It's hard no matter what and doesn't seem to really make a difference.

::)

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 08:48:19 PM »
::)

Why the rolling eyes?

We are all just speaking on our experiences and life. Not just my own, but those around us.

That's what I've seen.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 08:51:32 PM »
i like a girl who competes because i like a girl who has a hobby, something they passionate about,  i say this since i like my girl to have a hobby and have own her thing. most chics arent really passionate about anything or have real hobbies. 

doesnt have to be just bikini, maybe a top amt ranked salsa dancer etc etc

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
Why the rolling eyes?

We are all just speaking on our experiences and life. Not just my own, but those around us.

That's what I've seen.

I honestly don't remember.

YLLS, HTH, etc.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 09:26:55 PM »
I honestly don't remember.

YLLS, HTH, etc.

It's all good man. You had a long day? Something for you on edge?

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 09:50:16 PM »
It's all good man. You had a long day? Something for you on edge?

Yeah. I missed out a huge real estate investment opportunity in Dubai, India.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »
I prefer to be with a woman who doesn't bodybuild or even see the gym for that matter. Having dated " fitness oriented " women in my past ; well, it just turned out to be a headache for me, as I like to separate my personal life from my gym life ( which they were not able to do ).

I have to say, I know it may sound weird to nongymgoers, but I also like to keep my gym life separate.  I've always been this way.  That's my time, if I mix it up then I don't achieve the peace and refreshment that I get from being there on my own.  I've had workout partners that are too clingy that I had to jettison.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 05:42:25 AM »
yes, my current girl does- she completes in figure, same gym as me. so - we understand pre-contest/no drinking/do our cheat meals together. we are in a fun casual low key friends relationship.  we werent seeking it, kinda just happened - super happy

prior gf, knew i was into it, competed and it is "my thing" she knew it was my thing. cheered me on and was supportive

Its been said that there needs to be one person not "in the lifestyle" as to balance out the crazy. To be objective and be grounded, like Lee Haney and his wife. Because "living the dream" is a selfish endeavor, and unhealthy. Everybody remembers how it played out on Getbig between Mike and Laura, or worse Titus and Kelly Ryan.
It's like two alcoholics or two drug addicts, co-dependent on one another.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 05:52:38 AM »
When I dated Goodrum, it was clear that he was the bodybuilder and I the "civilian."
X

Purge_WTF

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2017, 06:04:02 AM »

I've read that male and (sort of) female pros date each other because the gear they use puts their libidos in overdrive.

Simple Simon

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2017, 06:09:25 AM »
When I dated Goodrum, it was clear that he was the bodybuilder and I the "civilian."

hahahahaha....

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 06:55:09 AM »
Arnold and Maria

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 07:09:49 AM »

what pshychological issues drive her towards such competitions and exposure? how was her upbringing? her relationship with the father and her mother? what went wrong?

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »
I have to say, I know it may sound weird to nongymgoers, but I also like to keep my gym life separate.  I've always been this way.  That's my time, if I mix it up then I don't achieve the peace and refreshment that I get from being there on my own.  I've had workout partners that are too clingy that I had to jettison.

Its been said that there needs to be one person not "in the lifestyle" as to balance out the crazy. To be objective and be grounded, like Lee Haney and his wife. Because "living the dream" is a selfish endeavor, and unhealthy. Everybody remembers how it played out on Getbig between Mike and Laura, or worse Titus and Kelly Ryan.

Exactly. 110 %.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 09:04:25 AM »
Here's the main things, guys ... as a competitive bodybuilder your life revolves around working out, eating, and " supplementation ". When you are doing all this stuff, day in and day out, you feel very abnormal, like a black sheep, not in the club, etc. So to be with someone who IS normal and not doing those things day in and day out is refreshing. It makes YOU feel normal. And it's nice.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 09:15:44 AM »
Here's the main things, guys ... as a competitive bodybuilder your life revolves around working out, eating, and " supplementation ". When you are doing all this stuff, day in and day out, you feel very abnormal, like a black sheep, not in the club, etc. So to be with someone who IS normal and not doing those things day in and day out is refreshing. It makes YOU feel normal. And it's nice.
check this couple's channel (two separate channels). Fitness, going out, motorcycles, beach, tips, travel
[/youtube]

Simple Simon

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2017, 09:35:48 AM »
Never admit to anyone outside the gym you are a bodybuilder

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »

Vissy got in all my pictures in a scrapebook and applied my hot stuff vasculator the morning of the 2009 NGA Night of Champions without gloves which gave him a nice rash.  He was never involved in the sport or cared about Getbig but your spouse doesn't have to be in bodybuilding to support it in my opinion.  Its an added bonus if they are both competitors but its all relative because the bodybuilding career is very short for most people
A

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 09:50:58 AM »
Vissy got in all my pictures in a scrapebook and applied my hot stuff vasculator the morning of the 2009 NGA Night of Champions without gloves which gave him a nice rash.  He was never involved in the sport or cared about Getbig but your spouse doesn't have to be in bodybuilding to support it in my opinion.  Its an added bonus if they are both competitors but its all relative because the bodybuilding career is very short for most people

Lmao!! Queen vissy!