Author Topic: Goblet squats  (Read 11445 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Goblet squats
« on: May 31, 2017, 09:42:41 AM »
Anyone doing these? I resisted because it looked like something a fitness girl would be using. How can a 50lbs dumbbell be heavy when someone uses over 300bs for back squats.  Anyway I tried them. The back stays really vertical and the squats go to the ultimate ass to grass depth.  I'm really seeing the benefit of using them. Concentrate on getting the ass down and your elbows between your knees. Another benefit was stretching out my stiff knees. Didn't realize that years of squatting and not going truly to the bottom made my knees tight. Now I realize why I was having knee trouble.  I decreased the range of motion and lost flexibility. People that sit in a squat in third world countries don't have knee issues. Only civilized ones that sit in chairs, ride in cars then exercise like a lunatic for an hour.

I read Yates use to use a barbell for shrugs. He got injured and used dumbbells for shrugs. He thought how can he find dumbbells big enough. Then he realized you don't have to go as heavy with dumbbells to get the same effect and effort. That's how I feel about the goblet squat. You can take a 600lbs squatter and exhaust him with just body weight squats. Don't think this is a pussy exercise.

Anyway will I ever return to barbell squats? Of course I will. Just seeing the value in this exercise I never used before.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Goblet squats
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 03:48:26 PM »
Haven't done them in years, never consistently. I use paused squats to stretch out, rock bottom, low reps. Also do a thing where I put my toes against the wall using a wider stance than normal, then squat down. Very difficult but it will expose your tight areas.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »
I never really liked them-always felt then more in my arms

I prefer zercher squats, belt squats, or 1 arm goblet squats(holding the db in the top of curl position)
w

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:22:17 AM »
Holding the dumbbell tight to my body holding the outer portion of the dumbbell plates seems to lock the dumbbell to my body.  Woke up really sore in my legs so something is happening.  If nothing else it's restoring flexibility that I lost from doing squats that weren't deep enough.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
Holding the dumbbell tight to my body holding the outer portion of the dumbbell plates seems to lock the dumbbell to my body.  Woke up really sore in my legs so something is happening.  If nothing else it's restoring flexibility that I lost from doing squats that weren't deep enough.
You'll probably feel better generally too if your back and hips loosen up a bit.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 02:33:22 PM »
You'll probably feel better generally too if your back and hips loosen up a bit.
[/quote

Yes I have to also include a stretching program too. For decades I rarely stretched. Time to loosen up those tight joints.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 06:26:05 AM »
If you want to add a twist, try them with a 5/5/1 tempo.

5 second descent / 5 second hold at bottom / explode up.

Whole different ballgame.
Y

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 07:53:38 AM »
Front squats - not going to get any lower / deeper.
Look at the Olympic lifters.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 04:59:54 PM »
Front squats - not going to get any lower / deeper.
Look at the Olympic lifters.

To do traditional front squat you have to have some arm and shoulder flexibility.  I might do them tomorrow using the straps trick of holding the tales after threading them around the bar. Doing the bodybuilding method of crossing the arms always hurt.

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 06:06:32 AM »
If you ever get the chance, find a gym that has a belt squat machine. That really exposes weakness and taxes the muscle.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 06:28:13 PM »
If you ever get the chance, find a gym that has a belt squat machine. That really exposes weakness and taxes the muscle.

ive never gotten to try the machine
Always wanted to
Does using a weight attached to the weight belt feel similar?
w