Author Topic: Living in Los Angeles  (Read 40931 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Living in Los Angeles
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2017, 12:29:12 PM »
they rent. Roommates. Or both boyfriend girlfriend, spouses split rent. Cali has been that way for a very long time tho.

Some folks who buy also have roommates etc. to offset their mortgage payment. My daughter and son-in-law share my home with me. They pay rent which pretty much covers my mortgage plus some household expenses. Families buying property together and living together has been the norm in Europe for a long time. It's becoming more common now in some parts of the U.S. where housing costs are soaring.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »
area I live in by the beach. One of my neighbors owns a multi unit. 20 yearsagohd bought it for nothing. Migrant Mexicans were living in it and it was in horrible shape. Drugs etc. he bought it rehabbed it and it's worth millions now. My place is in a real desireable now but bitd it was surf bums and drugs. Some people got in real cheap.

I'm relatively conservative when it comes to finances and real estate. I bought my first home for $13,000 in the early 1970's. I sold in about 15 years later for about $65,000. I put the profit into the next house I purchased and sold that house about 15 years later for $175,000 and used the profit to help purchase my current home which is presently appraised by the bank for $525,000. The original property I owned would now sell for about $700,000 mainly because of it's proximity to downtown Portland. Real Estate is a crazy investment because you never know what the market will do.

Speaking of housing costs in L.A., my late wife grew up in a home her father bought for $50,000 located at 902 N. Roxbury Dr. in Beverly Hills, CA.  According to Zillow, the property is presently worth close to $9 mil. A little more than a decade ago, it sold for $11 mil. This was just prior to the real estate crash. Fortunately, the home was bigger than our needs and way, way out of our price range.

Jizmonkey

• Getbig III
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »
Not any more - Florida is where it is now.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
i listen to chris aceto for real estate advice

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »

What about all those snakes, reptiles, bugs, hurricanes and humidity? Florida is for the "Sun-birds".

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »
What about all those snakes, reptiles, bugs, hurricanes and humidity? Florida is for the "Sun-birds".

there's even more snakes there now after dave palumbo moved there

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2017, 01:23:05 PM »
Speaking of housing costs in L.A., my late wife grew up in a home her father bought for $50,000 located at 902 N. Roxbury Dr. in Beverly Hills, CA.  According to Zillow, the property is presently worth close to $9 mil. 
Her home was probably tore down and rebuilt though right?

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2017, 01:53:22 PM »

I actually like all those things, well except for humidity. That makes my balls sweat.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »

I hate the weather around the Gulf of Mexico...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2017, 06:41:17 PM »
Her home was probably tore down and rebuilt though right?

Nope. It's still standing. When I pulled up a photo on Zillow, it was not the right place. I apparently typed in the wrong address. It is actually 903 N. Roxbury Drive. The price is significantly higher at $16 mil and change, which makes more sense.

It was remodeled many years ago. The wing on the right from the front is an addition, probably a family room since it is in front of the kitchen and breakfast room. From the description, there have been a ton of upgrades, but yeah the rooms were huge based the photos I have from my wife's album. They'd put up two ceiling height Christmas trees, one on each end of the living room. The pool is probably newer, but it is in the same location. The smaller place at the back of the property are garages with what were servant's quarters above.  

The house on the corner of N. Roxbury Drive and Sunset Blvd. was Oscar Levant's place. My wife said he was weird....played the piano in the middle of the night.

Here is a link to the correct house on Zillow, https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/903-N-Roxbury-Dr,-Beverly-Hills,-CA-90210_rb/?fromHomePage=true&shouldFireSellPageImplic itClaimGA=false&fromHomePageTab=buy

The houses I lived in growing up in various cities on the north and south side of the Santa Monica Mountains were shanties by comparison and my parents weren't poor. One could say "I married up". I did, but in many more ways than financially.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2017, 07:02:24 PM »
Nope. It's still standing. When I pulled up a photo on Zillow, it was not the right place. I apparently typed in the wrong address. It is actually 903 N. Roxbury Drive. The price is significantly higher at $16 mil and change, which makes more sense.

It was remodeled many years ago. The wing on the right from the front is an addition, probably a family room since it is in front of the kitchen and breakfast room. From the description, there have been a ton of upgrades, but yeah the rooms were huge based the photos I have from my wife's album. They'd put up two ceiling height Christmas trees, one on each end of the living room. The pool is probably newer, but it is in the same location. The smaller place at the back of the property are garages with what were servant's quarters above.  

The house on the corner of N. Roxbury Drive and Sunset Blvd. was Oscar Levant's place. My wife said he was weird....played the piano in the middle of the night.

Here is a link to the correct house on Zillow, Roxbur[/b]y-Dr,-Beverly-Hills,-CA-90210_rb/?fromHomePage=true&shouldFireSellPageImplic itClaimGA=false&fromHomePageTab=buy]https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/903-N-Roxbury-Dr,-Beverly-Hills,-CA-90210_rb/?fromHomePage=true&shouldFireSellPageImplic itClaimGA=false&fromHomePageTab=buy

The houses I lived in growing up in various cities on the north and south side of the Santa Monica Mountains were shanties by comparison and my parents weren't poor. One could say "I married up". I did, but in many more ways than financially.

"

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03:54 PM »

You probably have a good point to make, but I cannot see it.  ;D

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2017, 08:59:04 PM »

For getbiggers money is not an issue

Cali > Florida

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2017, 05:52:11 PM »
Well I had my interview last Thursday in LA. By the time I got to LAX the next morning I received the call that I have the job. I was supposed to receive the offer today or tomorrow then I either accept or reject it. I have spent nearly every night looking at housing since this started. They are trying to pool everything they can in to make this work. They understand the difference in cost of living and determined to make this work.
That was the first interview I have had in 31 years and nailed it. The HR rep scored me 100%. No matter what happens I am proud of that.

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2017, 06:22:18 PM »
Well I had my interview last Thursday in LA. By the time I got to LAX the next morning I received the call that I have the job. I was supposed to receive the offer today or tomorrow then I either accept or reject it. I have spent nearly every night looking at housing since this started. They are trying to pool everything they can in to make this work. They understand the difference in cost of living and determined to make this work.
That was the first interview I have had in 31 years and nailed it. The HR rep scored me 100%. No matter what happens I am proud of that.

congratulations

I am sure the fact that you have an active getbig account won them over
"

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2017, 04:08:33 AM »
congratulations

I am sure the fact that you have an active getbig account won them over

Did they call you? I put your name and Shizzo down as a reference. I hope they didn't call the other Nelson Muntz.   >:(

Simple Simon

« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2017, 04:11:46 AM »
when they take your measurements for trousers tell them a size over, McDonalds staff always have small fitting clothing...

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2017, 04:21:46 AM »
when they take your measurements for trousers tell them a size over, McDonalds staff always have small fitting clothing...

Nah, won't apply to me. I went for the big time job, I will work the fryer. The grease that splatters onto your pants give them elasticity.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »

Didn't realize you were changing your employer. I thought is was a transfer. There's lot's more to consider.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2017, 05:30:22 PM »

Congrats!
X

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »
Did they call you? I put your name and Shizzo down as a reference. I hope they didn't call the other Nelson Muntz.   >:(

I told them you were a quality poster and cited a few good examples where you pwned a few tranny lovers and flat earth deniars.

They were a bit dissapointed that you did not post any nudes however, I calmed them down by saying "it's only gay if your not getting paid"

Glad to help
"

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2017, 06:39:34 PM »
Didn't realize you were changing your employer. I thought is was a transfer. There's lot's more to consider.

No, it is the same company. I currently work at the corporate office. This would be at one of our banners in Cali. I have 30 yrs at the company, 6 weeks vacation and another week of bullshit days off. Good gig, I would never leave the company.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2017, 06:44:19 PM »
I told them you were a quality poster and cited a few good examples where you pwned a few tranny lovers and flat earth deniars.

They were a bit dissapointed that you did not post any nudes however, I calmed them down by saying "it's only gay if your not getting paid"

Glad to help

They excused the no nudes issue because during the interview I had to demonstrate my tranny pleasing methods live while nude and with our shafts tied together.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2017, 06:53:24 PM »
Having grew up in the Midwest and lived in Florida for 9 years and now being in LA for the last 13 years I can give you my opinion.  Most people come to LA with big dreams and hoping to "make it".  99.9% of them don't. They get chewed up and spat out for pretty much every reason you can think of.  Since you aren't coming here with big dreams of "making it" and you already have a lucritive job lined up then you'll probably be fine.  The people here are indeed girls, but you can find some genuinely incredible people as well.   I work in film but on the post side of things so I can easily avoid "the scene" but you can easily wrap yourself into it if you desire.  Just be prepared to deal with some of the most disconnected narcissistic human beings you've ever encountered x100.

LA itself, like any big city, has tons of things to do, some of the best food in the country of any type you can imagine and the weather is some of the best in world.  Compared to the swampy asshole of the US, Florida, well, there's no comparison.  There's tons of opportunity here, there was little affect from the crash in 07, real estate and buying a home here, especially over the last 3 years has gone completely bonkers.  Be prepared for a long commute or to get an apartment close to work, which I'd highly suggest if buying isn't an option.

LA is very segregated and despite being one of the most liberal progressive states in the country with the highest taxes there's a TON of poverty and the ghettos of the 60's are still the ghettos of today.  The liberal hypocrisy is high here.

Despite all that I wouldn't live anywhere else in the country at this stage.  That's not to say I'll stay here for ever, but for now it's home.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »
Having grew up in the Midwest and lived in Florida for 9 years and now being in LA for the last 13 years I can give you my opinion.  Most people come to LA with big dreams and hoping to "make it".  99.9% of them don't. They get chewed up and spat out for pretty much every reason you can think of.  Since you aren't coming here with big dreams of "making it" and you already have a lucritive job lined up then you'll probably be fine.  The people here are indeed girls, but you can find some genuinely incredible people as well.   I work in film but on the post side of things so I can easily avoid "the scene" but you can easily wrap yourself into it if you desire.  Just be prepared to deal with some of the most disconnected narcissistic human beings you've ever encountered x100.

LA itself, like any big city, has tons of things to do, some of the best food in the country of any type you can imagine and the weather is some of the best in world.  Compared to the swampy asshole of the US, Florida, well, there's no comparison.  There's tons of opportunity here, there was little affect from the crash in 07, real estate and buying a home here, especially over the last 3 years has gone completely bonkers.  Be prepared for a long commute or to get an apartment close to work, which I'd highly suggest if buying isn't an option.

LA is very segregated and despite being one of the most liberal progressive states in the country with the highest taxes there's a TON of poverty and the ghettos of the 60's are still the ghettos of today.  The liberal hypocrisy is high here.

Despite all that I wouldn't live anywhere else in the country at this stage.  That's not to say I'll stay here for ever, but for now it's home.

Emmortal, your reply really resonated with me. Thank you very much. You have lived in all 3 areas I either live at or am considering moving to. Huge help. My young girlfriend will be coming with me. They are placing her in a job as well. My office will be in Compton. We have been looking nightly at housing. I would like to stay under $400k if possible so I am probably going to have to go with a condo to stay in that price range. I would like to keep my commute under 1/2 hr to Compton. We have looked at Carson, Torrance, Long Beach, Wittier, Lakewood, San Pedro and several other cities in that area. Do you have any cities you would recommend? Thank you again!