Author Topic: Eighty-plus hour work weeks  (Read 10674 times)

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
Eighty-plus hour work weeks
« on: August 01, 2017, 06:58:17 PM »
Anyone ever done one? Or many? I'm thinking most who say they are clicking such hours are full of shit! What kind of quality work can be done past the tenth hour of a work day?

Nirvana

• Getbig V
Re: Eighty-plus hour work weeks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 07:57:18 PM »
I pulled 66 working in a factory one time. Doesn't sound bad but when you have been doing 50-60 consistently for a month it gets depressing. Especially when it's monsoon season and has literally rained every single day for 15 days straight. When you start hoping that the rains cause flooding to get you a day off of work it's time to call in sick.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 08:02:42 PM »
Anyone ever done one? Or many? I'm thinking most who say they are clicking such hours are full of shit! What kind of quality work can be done past the tenth hour of a work day?

Funny you brought this up. I just had to make a manager of one of our banners aware of one of their employees were averaging 82.3 hours a week for 2017 so far. I oversee all our banners. Why they never caught it I have no clue. The last 3 weeks he had 78.5, 92.6 and 88.2. Hell the guy should be dead working like that. I imagine he will be let go for time theft this week.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:10:55 PM »
I do 5 10-12hr shifts a week. Come home and work out, practice and then sleep.

Haven't had a day off in 14 months.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 08:50:51 PM »

Did it from 2001-2007 working 40 hours at Alltel, 24 hours at American Security, and 20 hours operating my supplement store at the White Horse Flea Market....this isn't counting my websites although I worked on those at my American Security job.  It wasn't too bad but I will never do that again.  
A

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »

if you are working that many hours, hire an assistant

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:22:31 PM »

Yes, frequently and a lot gets done. This week will ramp up to over 90 with Hell week

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »
I have done 70 and 80 hour weeks in the past but there was always a goal in mind. I try to invest between 30 - 50K a year, and retire early. These days I have brought down that figure to 50 hours a week. Most people I work with are content to max out their pensions, and work until they are old and grey. It just isn't my thing. I want to retire by 50.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 11:27:36 PM »

Yep.... Worked myself into the ground doin that for over a year str8. Only way I could do it was with heroin honestly.  Is get off at 12. Home by 1. Slew by 2 up byn4am and back at work by 5 or 530am.

Using heroin 24-7 the whole time. Never missed a day.. But the physical and mental toll wasn't worth it at all.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 11:28:51 PM »
I worked 4711 hours two years ago and 4250 last year. This year a little less.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 01:16:54 AM »
Most of our dept do them for a fortnight ever year during the factory shutdown, it's not as bad as people think just feels like your whole life is just bastard work as you have no time for anything wlsw

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 01:29:04 AM »
I know a guy that has two jobs and will go 5-6 weeks without a day off. Easily clocks up 80 hour weeks. I can only think he must hate his wife
P

Evo

• Getbig IV
  • you racku disapwin!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 01:34:11 AM »

I did it for most of last year...6-7 day weeks, back to back shifts...flying/driving all over the country.

You're right productivity drops massively after a certain point, as does mental clarity...but you do still get more done overall, so is it worth it?  The money was great, I basically doubled an already very healthy salary for someone like me, I proved myself as a PM and as a result I always have plenty of work offers now...

But...

Everything suffered, I became distant from my g/f, only ate once or twice a day, slept 4-5 hours a night, zero socializing or recreation and my health deteriorated.    

Would I do it again...probably, I like the challenges my work throws at me....would I advise it....HELL NO!

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 02:00:53 AM »
When haze grey and underway in the Navy we stood five and dimes: 5 hours on watch, 10 hours off watch, 24/7, and worked a full workday when off watch.  (The 10 PM to 2 AM watch made it work out over a 24-hour period.)

Jackball division officer (DO) tried to send me to Captain’s Mast for sleeping on watch.  Thing is, he found me asleep standing, so it went nowhere. 

Tha Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 02:46:55 AM »
Pretty much work from when I wake up to sleep. Owning own business  :). Even taking days off i'm on the phone to staff or doing social media/accounting etc. Then again I've saved 25K a month for the past 2 years not including cash. So I take it while it's good.

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 02:48:50 AM »
Worked 80 hrs a week for 8 years. All I got was NO life and a $42,000 tax bill . . . FUCK REVENUE CANADA!

J

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 03:03:44 AM »

Simple Simon

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 03:21:07 AM »
Yep.... Worked myself into the ground doin that for over a year str8. Only way I could do it was with heroin honestly.  Is get off at 12. Home by 1. Slew by 2 up byn4am and back at work by 5 or 530am.

Using heroin 24-7 the whole time. Never missed a day.. But the physical and mental toll wasn't worth it at all.

I did that many hours without heroin, heroin is for losers.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 03:38:44 AM »
I work at least 60 hours a week every week. I own a business so I am in the office at 6:30 and usually leave at 6:30 or so in the evening. I also answer emails and do a little stuff at the house after the wife and kids to bed. I'm not saying that's every single day, as being self employed allows me certain freedoms like picking my kids up early from school and things like that, but working 65 hours every week is what I do. Starting out, I was clocking 80-90 hours a week for a while. I went almost 100 days straight and worked at least 10-12 hours every day to get above water. It's not for everybody, but just like waking up early to go to the gym, you eventually get used to it.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 03:44:36 AM »
If you NEED to work over 40 hours week, some/all of these apply to you...

1. You are earning a low hourly wage.

2. You lack special skills.

3. You are frivolous and are living way beyond your means.

4. You have a substance abuse/gambling problem.

5. You have kids/wife to support.

Marlo Stanfield

• Getbig IV
  • You want it to be one way,but it's the other way.
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 03:52:38 AM »

i dont think those who log in 70-90 hours a week are actually for example construction workers of physical labor workers doing that much work. Those are mostly jobs that "you're on the clock" . I routinely average 60-80 hours a week, but for example i might be on a 12 hour flight, need to be at the airport 3 hours before, when i land  and getby the time i either get a car or go check in my hotel, thats another 2 hours, so for example in one day i "work" 17-18 hours that day. Then you have 2-3 days of work/meetings/dinner meetings which probably run from 9am-8-9 pm, so thats another 10-11 hours a day i charge. and take into account flying back, so it easily adds up to like 70 a week.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 04:40:37 AM »
Funny you brought this up. I just had to make a manager of one of our banners aware of one of their employees were averaging 82.3 hours a week for 2017 so far. I oversee all our banners. Why they never caught it I have no clue. The last 3 weeks he had 78.5, 92.6 and 88.2. Hell the guy should be dead working like that. I imagine he will be let go for time theft this week.
"You're fired for working too hard and collecting overtime!"

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 04:57:22 AM »
If you NEED to work over 40 hours week, some/all of these apply to you...

1. You are earning a low hourly wage.

2. You lack special skills.

3. You are frivolous and are living way beyond your means.

4. You have a substance abuse/gambling problem.

5. You have kids/wife to support.

Elon Musk says he works 100 hours per week.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 04:59:38 AM »

Are these people really working all these hours?... of course not.  People who do this are putting themselves on the radar with some company bean counter.  Eventually their hours will be cut back or they'll be fired.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 05:04:46 AM »
Elon Musk says he works 100 hours per week.

My list is most applicable to average, low/middle class workers, not self starting entrepreneurs.