Author Topic: 2017 Olympia - Press Conference - Jeremy Buendia Heated Exchange  (Read 14520 times)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
2017 Olympia - Press Conference - Jeremy Buendia Heated Exchange
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:02:51 PM »
I think some competitors of the muscle and strength culture - be they bodybuilders, strongmen, powerlifters, or physique competitors - need to take a step back and realize that to most people, they are just self-absorbed gym rats on steroids.  There is no polite way for me to say that.

I say that as somewhat of a competitor myself.  As I said, I am qualified for Nationals next week in the Canadian amateur strongman league in the 170-lb class, but I won't be going.  I'm definitely not prepared.  I am confident that at my strongest, I could represent Western Ontario very well - but right now, I don't even know if I could win Thunder Bay's Strongest Woman.  :-X

My point is, there is more to life.  I have three children right now, and they are the most important part of my life to me at the moment, with the second most important thing being obtaining the resources and means to support them - I think IOTA is the cryptocurrency to bet on right now.  I am confident that it will go up 30x within a few years.  Possibly within one year.  I recommend buying it now.  I honestly think that $1,000 in IOTA will be worth $30,000 at this time next year.

I like what Georges St-Pierre says in this interview - before a fight he would drive around in his car and look at random people and realize that those people didn't even know who he was, and didn't even care if he won or lost:

Sometimes we need to take a step back and ask ourselves how important this stuff is.  I realize that our lives are our universes, but some things are more important than others.  What can I say?  With age, things change.  Priorities change.  My children are my universe right now.  The weight room is not.  Don't get me wrong - some things ARE important to me, but my three children are most important, and everything else pales in comparison. I intend to love and support them as well as their mothers for as long as I live.  But when it comes to competing, it just isn't *that* important.  And while I don't make millions of dollars competing, I have been on the front page of my newspaper twice, and on the front page of the sports section once.  ;D

If Georges St-Pierre can realize that - as a man who made millions off his chosen sport/craft - then I would hope bodybuilders, strongmen, powerlifters, and physique competitors can understand this.  Check out this one - are they comparing themselves to Muhammad Ali and Floyd Mayweather?  :-\

Don't get me wrong - legacy is important, and bodybuilders train hard, but I don't think you can compare bodybuilding and boxing.

Anyway, I think some people need to take a step back and realize that there is more to life.  But maybe I shouldn't judge.  I guess ultimately I just hate the cult-like attitudes that bodybuilding and strongman can breed.  You know, when competitors think that there is nothing more to life than bodybuilding?  For example, do you remember IFBB professional bodybuilder Victor DelCampo of the 212 class who was in the Raising the Bar DVDs?  His signature line on here was "two types of people bodybuiders and everyone else":

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=profile;u=293

Seriously?  So not neurosurgeons and everyone else?  Or pediatric cardiologists and everyone else?  Or petroleum engineers and everyone else?

NO - bodybuilders and everyone else.  Oh wait, "bodybuiders" [sic].

Forgive the rant, but there is more to life.  Right?  :-\

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Re: Jeremy Buendia Heated Exchange At The 2017 Olympia Press Conference.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 11:08:51 PM »
Don't get me wrong - I can see how addictive the muscle and strength culture can be.  ;D

But when people treat it more importantly than anything else in their lives - sheesh.  But I guess to succeed at the highest levels of anything, you sort of have to put everything else to the wayside.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=636204.0;attach=743771;image

foreleft

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 11:19:39 PM »
epic douche levels of making it about yourself and putting yourself in when you dont have to. Conceited much?

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »
Fuck off Matt.. Nobody here cares about you or what you do to support your kids

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 12:04:22 AM »
this is a msg board not a blog.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 12:30:08 AM »
I'm not so concerned about foreleft's comment with his epic 59 post count credibility.  I have been to 17 expos over the years and have actually put myself out there to meet anyone and everyone in the industry, or people on Getbig, or elsewhere.  There is some respectability in doing that.  Same goes for Derek Anthony back in the day - at least he did put himself out there at expos.

ratherbebig's post is fine also, although I don't get why it's wrong to post about bodybuilding...on a bodybuilding board.

The way I see it, we all train with weights to achieve certain goals so we want to find boards that cover that content - ultimately the boards that cover it are boards that cover professional bodybuilding, which get a lot of hate by Getbig posters because to enjoy weight training does not necessarily mean we want to take it to the highest levels.

I haven't figured out another reason as to why pro bodybuilding gets trashed so much...on a pro bodybuilding message board.  I always found that aspect of Getbig to be strange.

At least Nether Animal's posts have been keeping them bodybuilding-related.

As for this:

Given that I have a YouTube channel with over 17 million views that I barely even update, and formally had a bodybuilding website that received 21,000 unique visitors daily, I think it's safe to say that, yes, people do care about what I have to say.  And if they don't care about what I have to say, what does that say about how much or how little they care about what you have to say, MAXX?

My point is - in life, priorities change.  There is this cult-like mentality of pro bodybuilding that draws people in, and I think it's important to try to keep a distance from that.  Too many competitors make bodybuilding their identity, and I think that when they retire from competitive life and potentially even from steroid use, they run the risk of losing their identity.

There was a good article on the topic, relating to powerlifting.  I think the article's name was "The Price of the Podium", where it outlined the costs and benefits of being a competitive powerlifter.

I blog about my children because...get this...I love my children.  I love my children, and I want to constantly remind myself that they are the most important thing to me.  Even a post like this helps me to do that, and keeps things in perspective for me.  It is that perspective which has prevented me from ever taking strongman to a higher level, beyond the local level.  Although now thanks to the new weight classes, I will finally be able to make it to Nationals.

As for the picture of myself from the front page of the sports section, that was all ego, out of control right there.  ;D

I can see why people would have a problem with THAT, or even with my reference to having the opportunity to go to Nationals.  I don't see anything wrong with simply posting about how important family is, an explaining how some competitors lose sight of that.  I think that is an important, and extremely valuable point.

Basically my OP was a take on this post, by Dante:

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php/141067-Greg-Kovacs-dead?p=3566538&viewfull=1#post3566538

I'm sorry for offending anyone.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 01:16:52 AM »
Brilliant post!

You show real talent on ostensibly commenting on other's skew perspective on life as a ruse to once again talk about yourself and "modestly" boast about your accomplishments given your personal challenges. Wow! Having to put your own personal hobbies to the side so you can take care of your family. This is unheard of! You are a great and selfless man. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm just taking a step back and, as you've mentioned before, repeatedly, you are quite the accomplished "strongman." Front page on your newspaper which I'm sure gets an international audience like the LA or New York Times. I'm surprise you don't have your own supplement line.

I look forward to your next post about how you live life on your own terms and accomplish so much given the heavy cross you bear. And you even manage to take care of your kids and wife. Think of that. We should all strive to live up to the ideal you have set.

Simple Simon

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 01:19:50 AM »
I thought this was about a heated exchange by Buendia???

What the fuck has he done?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 01:21:47 AM »
I'm not so concerned about foreleft's comment with his epic 59 post count credibility.  I have been to 17 expos over the years and have actually put myself out there to meet anyone and everyone in the industry, or people on Getbig, or elsewhere.  There is some respectability in doing that.  Same goes for Derek Anthony back in the day - at least he did put himself out there at expos.

ratherbebig's post is fine also, although I don't get why it's wrong to post about bodybuilding...on a bodybuilding board.

The way I see it, we all train with weights to achieve certain goals so we want to find boards that cover that content - ultimately the boards that cover it are boards that cover professional bodybuilding, which get a lot of hate by Getbig posters because to enjoy weight training does not necessarily mean we want to take it to the highest levels.

I haven't figured out another reason as to why pro bodybuilding gets trashed so much...on a pro bodybuilding message board.  I always found that aspect of Getbig to be strange.

At least Nether Animal's posts have been keeping them bodybuilding-related.

As for this:

Given that I have a YouTube channel with over 17 million views that I barely even update, and formally had a bodybuilding website that received 21,000 unique visitors daily, I think it's safe to say that, yes, people do care about what I have to say.  And if they don't care about what I have to say, what does that say about how much or how little they care about what you have to say, MAXX?

My point is - in life, priorities change.  There is this cult-like mentality of pro bodybuilding that draws people in, and I think it's important to try to keep a distance from that.  Too many competitors make bodybuilding their identity, and I think that when they retire from competitive life and potentially even from steroid use, they run the risk of losing their identity.

There was a good article on the topic, relating to powerlifting.  I think the article's name was "The Price of the Podium", where it outlined the costs and benefits of being a competitive powerlifter.

I blog about my children because...get this...I love my children.  I love my children, and I want to constantly remind myself that they are the most important thing to me.  Even a post like this helps me to do that, and keeps things in perspective for me.  It is that perspective which has prevented me from ever taking strongman to a higher level, beyond the local level.  Although now thanks to the new weight classes, I will finally be able to make it to Nationals.

As for the picture of myself from the front page of the sports section, that was all ego, out of control right there.  ;D

I can see why people would have a problem with THAT, or even with my reference to having the opportunity to go to Nationals.  I don't see anything wrong with simply posting about how important family is, an explaining how some competitors lose sight of that.  I think that is an important, and extremely valuable point.

Basically my OP was a take on this post, by Dante:

http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php/141067-Greg-Kovacs-dead?p=3566538&viewfull=1#post3566538

I'm sorry for offending anyone.

Good point. People that go on your board obviously do care about what you say. So how about posting stuff like this there. Post on your own successful, oft visited, message board.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 01:23:08 AM »

I didn't bother going to the links/vids myself.

Rarely do.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 01:38:44 AM »
ESF has some competition it seems.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 02:18:13 AM »

Maybe it was some heated discharge after eating some orange roughy.
Q

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 02:34:03 AM »

smatts narcissism makes mine look like childs play 😆

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 04:38:08 AM »
The guy calling him out, when asked how he felt, replied "Cash money." That alone has me endorsing the other dude.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 04:57:11 AM »
isnt matt the strongest p4p kanadian flyweight?
A

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 04:57:16 AM »
Who the fuck is Jeremy Buendia?
Y

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 05:09:29 AM »
The battle for king Manlet has begun.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 05:09:40 AM »
I think some competitors of the muscle and strength culture - be they bodybuilders, strongmen, powerlifters, or physique competitors - need to take a step back and realize that to most people, they are just self-absorbed gym rats on steroids.  There is no polite way for me to say that.

I say that as somewhat of a competitor myself.  As I said, I am qualified for Nationals next week in the Canadian amateur strongman league in the 170-lb class, but I won't be going.  I'm definitely not prepared.  I am confident that at my strongest, I could represent Western Ontario very well - but right now, I don't even know if I could win Thunder Bay's Strongest Woman.  :-X

Your post reeks of insecurity and solidifies your point about those in lifting being self absorbed. No one cares about your lifts bro, nor how many magazines you have been involved with.

You are brutally insecure.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 05:22:04 AM »
Maybe you don't some may he has a voice  and chooses to use this as his platform. I'm sure a big tough guy like yourself would rather see men in thong pics whenever possible And im sure intellect escapes your feeble mind but he makes some good points....
p

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 05:30:01 AM »
TL;DR;KHTKY;TIA

Evo

• Getbig IV
  • you racku disapwin!
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 05:38:01 AM »
Don't get me wrong - I can see how addictive the muscle and strength culture can be.  ;D

But when people treat it more importantly than anything else in their lives - sheesh.  But I guess to succeed at the highest levels of anything, you sort of have to put everything else to the wayside.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=636204.0;attach=743771;image

Looking well Matthew!

Although trying to free throw an atlas stone may not be the smartest move!  ;D

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 06:16:49 AM »
epic douche levels of making it about yourself and putting yourself in when you dont have to. Conceited much?

matt is slowly becoming Howard
"

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 06:29:51 AM »
Thanks Matt. Up until this thread i had no idea who Jeremy Buendia was.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 07:40:05 AM »
yep
Shut the fuck up matt
w