Author Topic: Breakup between the IFBB Amateur and the NPC - in Manion's own words  (Read 11674 times)

Simple Simon

Re: The breakup between the IFBB Amatuer and the NPC - in Manion's own words
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »
Yes.

looks like he hasn't got Sev whispering in his ear anymore.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »
Here's a pic of Mr. Thickskinned.  ::)

I was at the 96 USA in long Beach, when he placed 3rd, it wasn't as good as the early 90s IMO.  But Titus Prince Flether, Dente, Downing. was a class field compared to todays. Training at golds the weeks prior to the show was great, the early and mid 90s you could smell the nubain in the air.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »
I was at the 96 USA in long Beach, when he placed 3rd, it wasn't as good as the early 90s IMO.  But Titus Prince Flether, Dente, Downing. was a class field compared to todays. Training at golds the weeks prior to the show was great, the early and mid 90s you could smell the nubain in the air.

Haha yeah I used to lift with a guy that used it before he trained. There were certain looks in the 80's 90's and so forth. I'm of the opinion it is drug use. Gh and slin have allowed guys today to become something that they would have never been able to become years ago.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 03:18:16 PM »
A prime example of someone who IMO became a freak due to the dynamic duo usage. This is about 2 years difference.

AusBB

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 02:43:02 AM »
beat me to it.

By the way, I lost £5 yesterday walking the dog, or so I thought, I found it again in the kitchen, I then went down to the shop and thought I had lost it again, I found it in the kitchen bin, I had mistakenly thrown it in there thinking it was a receipt from the shop.

Anyway, I gave it to my wife to put in her rail pass folder as her emergency fiver.

Also well that ends well.

Back to Manion and his comments...

Tell your wife she can keep the fiver...

Or she can have the D...

But she cant have both.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »
Not at all. The reason the pro league kicked the amateur league to the curb is because the amateur league did everything in its power to keep amateurs as amateurs. Manion being the president of both the amateur and pro leagues ensures there is no incentive to keep amateurs as amateurs. It doesn't matter to him who turns pro and who doesn't because he's in charge of both. So the winners will turn pro and Manion has no reason to keep them as amateurs for financial reasons.

A friend of mine said his Jiu-Jitsu instructor is keeping him as a white belt because he has a financial incentive, in that the more fights my friend wins as a white belt will help his instructor's gym. He had heard this particular instructor did this, and told me now he knows for sure it is what he does.  So what you are saying about Manion makes a lot of sense to me.

No one cares.

I know you think that impressing Be There and the other five or so guys who hate me on here is important, but you will find that I actually bring knowledge and experience to the board. I have been to plenty of expos and met a lot of pros in person, etc. But by all means bash me because you see literally five other members do it. I am sure it will increase your own popularity on here. Rather than, you know, posting information and knowledge.

beat me to it.

By the way, I lost £5 yesterday walking the dog, or so I thought, I found it again in the kitchen, I then went down to the shop and thought I had lost it again, I found it in the kitchen bin, I had mistakenly thrown it in there thinking it was a receipt from the shop.

Anyway, I gave it to my wife to put in her rail pass folder as her emergency fiver.

Also well that ends well.

Back to Manion and his comments...

Except Manion being rude to people is relevant to this thread. It is as John Romano said - I think he gets off on bossing around bodybuilders who he knows in any other context would literally rip him in two, haha. Romano said that after his own falling out with the IFBB. But I think he is right. Conversely, maybe he just deals with a lot of meatheads and has no patience with them. Wayne Demilia seemed that way too. If you watch the Battle for the Olympia 2002, he really rips into Levrone for being late for the Athlete's Meeting and forces him to apologize.

Simple Simon

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »

Except Manion being rude to people is relevant to this thread. It is as John Romano said - I think he gets off on bossing around bodybuilders who he knows in any other context would literally rip him in two, haha. Romano said that after his own falling out with the IFBB. But I think he is right. Conversely, maybe he just deals with a lot of meatheads and has no patience with them. Wayne Demilia seemed that too. If you watch the Battle for the Olympia 2002, he really rips into Levrone for being late for the Athlete's Meeting and forces him to apologize.

rude?
He replied to me with something to the effect "I sincerely doubt they are going to allow someone with a camera to be filming at the expo. "

you think thats rude?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 01:11:14 PM »
Here's a pic of Mr. Thickskinned.  ::)
Yep, "thick skinned". I remember him competing. And the beef he had with Titus, and Titus talking about Edgar's "thick skin", or lack of ability to get peeled. and John Sherman (as a pro) and Vic Richards shared that thick skinned look. Now, there are pics (him lighter) where he looks phenomenal---that pic of him backstage doing a vacuum. Had Edgar turned Pro he may have done damage or ended up like Garrett Downing and Patrick Lynn.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 01:24:27 PM »
rude?
you think thats rude?

Yes, given that I started the e-mail with

"Dear Sir,

In keeping in line with the IFBB's policies, I would like some information about [blah, blah, blah]."

I was going out of my way to try to be respectful and maintain a good rapport with the IFBB since I actively held a press pass.

He could have answered "Hey Matt, I'm actually not sure what the policies are. You would have to ask individual vendors and promoters."

His tone was passive aggressive. Why say he "sincerely" doubts it? He was trying to dissuade me from getting the footage, most likely because he knew that YouTube channels were killing the magazines - which he has a vested interest in maintaining.

Furthermore, that was after a previous e-mail to Manion where I politely asked him to clarify what the IFBB's video policy was. He replied by saying: "First of, do you mind telling me how you are aware of a policy that was exclusively sent to magazine publishers?"

Then I sent him a link on IFBB.com where the policy was available for everyone to see, LOL. Meanwhile, he had just said it was only sent to magazines, hahaha. I was like "Dear Sir, here is the policy which I was seeking clarification on."

He probably felt like an idiot for demanding to know how I found out about a policy that was published explicitly online, hahahaha.

Anyway, there is a way to answer questions and a way not to. He was purposely being passively aggressive when I was merely asking for clarification regarding a policy of the IFBB. How else am I supposed to function as a person with an active press pass unless I get clarification on these things? My e-mail was completely polite as well as appropriate given my YouTube channel had just been flagged.

He did not need to say that he "sincerely doubt"ed anything. It was rude and passive aggressive and intended to dissuade me from publishing content on YouTube - content that has all but destroyed the Weider magazines.

Why add the word "sincerely"?  Not to mention, he was completely wrong!!  I had every right to the footage and he knew it.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 01:48:11 PM »
Since Matt keeps bringing it up, here's the google cache of the email exchange he posted between him and Manion -

-----Original Message-----
To: ifbbproleague <ifbbproleague@aol.com>
Sent: Tue, Feb 7, 2012 12:10 am
Subject: Expo Footage.

Dear Mr. Manion,

Is video footage from the Olympia and Arnold expos against IFBB policy?  I had read your press release regarding contest footage but I saw no notification indicating that expo footage was not allowed.  Thank you for any clarification you may have on this.

- Matt C
spam

To: mattcanning_@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Expo Footage.
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 09:39:51 -0500

Matt,

Can you please tell me how you are aware of a press release sent to magazines concerning footage at contests?

Sincerely,

Jim Manion

Sent: Tue, Feb 7, 2012 4:47 pm
Subject: RE: Expo Footage.

Dear Mr. Manion,

I may have used the term "press release" incorrectly.  Here is the document I was referring to:

http://www.ifbbpro.com/news/advisory-notice-082009

Are there any other releases I should be familiar with?  I would like to cover IFBB expos but do not wish to violate any of the federation's rules.  Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

- Matt

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:27:07 -0500

Matt,

That would be up to the promoter if he will permit you to take footage at the expo. I sincerely doubt they are going to allow someone with a camera to be filming at the expo. You will have to check with the individual promoters of the events.

Jim Manion

Sent: Wed, Feb 8, 2012 5:33 pm

Dear Mr. Manion,

Thank you for sending me in the right direction.  I have contacted Matt Lorz
 of Lorz Communications, Inc., representing Arnold Sports Festival Media Relations and he has given me the necessary media permissions requested.

I will remember your help if a getbig thread pops up regarding your salary.  It's laughable how jealous these guys are.  They just have no clue how much goes on behind the scenes.  Even something as minor as acquiring the proper media credentials gives me an appreciation for what you do.

- Matt

Thu 2012-02-09, 10:23 AM
You
Dear Matt,

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Jim Manion

------------------------------------------------------------

Cache page here - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JP-OUmOs37AJ:www.getbig.com/boards/index.php%3Ftopic%3D635927.0+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us .

Simple Simon

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
Yes, given that I started the e-mail with

"Dear Sir,

In keeping in line with the IFBB's policies, I would like some information about [blah, blah, blah]."

I was going out of my way to try to be respectful and maintain a good rapport with the IFBB since I actively held a press pass.

He could have answered "Hey Matt, I'm actually not sure what the policies are. You would have to ask individual vendors and promoters."

His tone was passive aggressive. Why say he "sincerely" doubts it? He was trying to dissuade me from getting the footage, most likely because he knew that YouTube channels were killing the magazines - which he has a vested interest in maintaining.

Furthermore, that was after a previous e-mail to Manion where I politely asked him to clarify what the IFBB's video policy was. He replied by saying: "First of, do you mind telling me how you are aware of a policy that was exclusively sent to magazine publishers?"

Then I sent him a link on IFBB.com where the policy was available for everyone to see, LOL. Meanwhile, he had just said it was only sent to magazines, hahaha. I was like "Dear Sir, here is the policy which I was seeking clarification on."

He probably felt like an idiot for demanding to know how I found out about a policy that was published explicitly online, hahahaha.

Anyway, there is a way to answer questions and a way not to. He was purposely being passively aggressive when I was merely asking for clarification regarding a policy of the IFBB. How else am I supposed to function as a person with an active press pass unless I get clarification on these things? My e-mail was completely polite as well as appropriate given my YouTube channel had just been flagged.

He did not need to say that he "sincerely doubt"ed anything. It was rude and passive aggressive and intended to dissuade me from publishing content on YouTube - content that has all but destroyed the Weider magazines.

Why add the word "sincerely"?  Not to mention, he was completely wrong!!  I had every right to the footage and he knew it.

and who the fuck are you to think you eve deserve a response.

get over yourself.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 02:51:04 PM »

Nothing changes in the NPC or IFBB Pro League in the USA.

For people competing outside of the USA, we are developing open events starting in November 2017 in San Marino, the San Marina Pro show and the Open Amateur Olympia, which will be open to all athletes worldwide, including the USA or any country.  There will be pro qualifiers all over, and we will have a listing of them soon. 

I see the logic of all this, but it still seems like it puts a burden on amateurs who don't live in the US. How do guys from Dubai, India or wherever remote around the world get the visas and airfare to fly to a pro qualifier in San Marino? Seems like these pro qualifiers run from Pittsburgh, PA will need to be located a little bit of everywhere to avoid cutting off the pipeline of future Ramy's, Ruhl's etc.

I see the logic of all this, but it still seems like it puts a potential burden on amateurs who don't live in the U.S. How do guys from Dubai, India or wherever remote around the world pull together the visas and airfare to get to a pro qualifier in San Marino?  Seems like these international pro qualifiers run from Pittsburgh, PA would need to be a little bit of everywhere to avoid cutting off the pipeline of future Ramy's and Ruhl's, especially since the best potential pros of the future may be found outside the boundaries of the U.S. Even in Europe some competitors may find it difficult to compete in these pro qualifiers for fear of retaliation from local judges, promoters, sponsors. Not saying this won't work out; it may in the end be successful. But it is nowhere near as easy as Manion makes it sound, and may be rough on many athletes.

Simple Simon

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »
I see the logic of all this, but it still seems like it puts a potential burden on amateurs who don't live in the U.S. How do guys from Dubai, India or wherever remote around the world pull together the visas and airfare to get to a pro qualifier in San Marino?  Seems like these international pro qualifiers run from Pittsburgh, PA would need to be a little bit of everywhere to avoid cutting off the pipeline of future Ramy's and Ruhl's, especially since the best potential pros of the future may be found outside the boundaries of the U.S. Even in Europe some competitors may find it difficult to compete in these pro qualifiers for fear of retaliation from local judges, promoters, sponsors. Not saying this won't work out; it may in the end be successful. But it is nowhere near as easy as Manion makes it sound, and may be rough on many athletes.

anyone who desires to be a pro bodybuilder should automatically be stopped from becoming one.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 03:13:45 PM »
If I have been informed correctly the ukbbf in England have lost the ability to award
Pro cards to the ifbb due to the corrupt & stupidity of the top man & his game playing
Over awarding pro cards to those he doesn't like or they train in the wrong gym.

It's a huge status blow for them.  Good it's Long overdue

Simple Simon

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 03:20:32 PM »
If I have been informed correctly the ukbbf in England have lost the ability to award
Pro cards to the ifbb due to the corrupt & stupidity of the top man & his game playing
Over awarding pro cards to those he doesn't like or they train in the wrong gym.

It's a huge status blow for them.  Good it's Long overdue

I think the overall winner gets to apply for one....

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »
I think the overall winner gets to apply for one....

From what I'm hearing Bob chick is going to promote 2 open shows a year over here
Open to anyone from any federation & country where pro cards will be given
And similar event in other European countries.

Early days - so much could change.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2017, 05:35:59 PM »
Since Matt keeps bringing it up, here's the google cache of the email exchange he posted between him and Manion -

Sent: Tue, Feb 7, 2012 12:10 am
Subject: Expo Footage.

Dear Mr. Manion,

Is video footage from the Olympia and Arnold expos against IFBB policy?  I had read your press release regarding contest footage but I saw no notification indicating that expo footage was not allowed.  Thank you for any clarification you may have on this.

- Matt C
spam

Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 09:39:51 -0500

Matt,

Can you please tell me how you are aware of a press release sent to magazines concerning footage at contests?

Sincerely,

Jim Manion

Sent: Tue, Feb 7, 2012 4:47 pm

Dear Mr. Manion,

I may have used the term "press release" incorrectly.  Here is the document I was referring to:

http://www.ifbbpro.com/news/advisory-notice-082009

Are there any other releases I should be familiar with?  I would like to cover IFBB expos but do not wish to violate any of the federation's rules.  Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

- Matt

Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:27:07 -0500

Matt,

That would be up to the promoter if he will permit you to take footage at the expo. I sincerely doubt they are going to allow someone with a camera to be filming at the expo. You will have to check with the individual promoters of the events.

Jim Manion

Sent: Wed, Feb 8, 2012 5:33 pm

Dear Mr. Manion,

Thank you for sending me in the right direction.  I have contacted Matt Lorz
 of Lorz Communications, Inc., representing Arnold Sports Festival Media Relations and he has given me the necessary media permissions requested.

I will remember your help if a getbig thread pops up regarding your salary.  It's laughable how jealous these guys are.  They just have no clue how much goes on behind the scenes.  Even something as minor as acquiring the proper media credentials gives me an appreciation for what you do.

- Matt

Thu 2012-02-09, 10:23 AM
You
Dear Matt,

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Jim Manion

------------------------------------------------------------

Cache page here - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JP-OUmOs37AJ:www.getbig.com/boards/index.php%3Ftopic%3D635927.0+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us .

Talk about ass kissing.  ::) So I'll be sure to tattle on these Getbig guys if they say anything bad about you and then maybe you will treat me like one of the guys.  ::) Also his "salary" is something that is easily looked up online. He's not trying to hide anything. I'm sure he thinks you're an ass.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2017, 09:55:45 PM »
From what I'm hearing Bob chick is going to promote 2 open shows a year over here
Open to anyone from any federation & country where pro cards will be given
And similar event in other European countries.  Early days - so much could change.

I think Bob Chick is working on promoting 4 shows.  There is a lot of interest, as many competitors have complained how hard it is to get a pro card from their country, unless they compete there at a specific show or at the request or help from the countries federation.  A lot of competitors are happy about this, and once there is more clarity, starting with the first pro qualifier in San Marina, I think a lot more details will come out.

The Keto Kid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2017, 10:24:55 PM »
So does this make it easier for international bodybuilders to get pro cards? If so, get ready for a bunch of dudes from the middle east to start winning and taking over the Ifbb. The guys over there come in absolutely peeled.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2017, 01:05:34 AM »
A friend of mine said his Jiu-Jitsu instructor is keeping him as a white belt because he has a financial incentive, in that the more fights my friend wins as a white belt will help his instructor's gym. He had heard this particular instructor did this, and told me now he knows for sure it is what he does.  So what you are saying about Manion makes a lot of sense to me.

I know you think that impressing Be There and the other five or so guys who hate me on here is important, but you will find that I actually bring knowledge and experience to the board. I have been to plenty of expos and met a lot of pros in person, etc. But by all means bash me because you see literally five other members do it. I am sure it will increase your own popularity on here. Rather than, you know, posting information and knowledge.

Except Manion being rude to people is relevant to this thread. It is as John Romano said - I think he gets off on bossing around bodybuilders who he knows in any other context would literally rip him in two, haha. Romano said that after his own falling out with the IFBB. But I think he is right. Conversely, maybe he just deals with a lot of meatheads and has no patience with them. Wayne Demilia seemed that way too. If you watch the Battle for the Olympia 2002, he really rips into Levrone for being late for the Athlete's Meeting and forces him to apologize.

No Matt I really mean it, no one cares other than you. You got your feelings hurt because Jim Manion didn't give you the response you were hoping to get and now you call him names. He got back to you more than once and was polite. Get over it.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 01:13:00 AM »
Yep, "thick skinned". I remember him competing. And the beef he had with Titus, and Titus talking about Edgar's "thick skin", or lack of ability to get peeled. and John Sherman (as a pro) and Vic Richards shared that thick skinned look. Now, there are pics (him lighter) where he looks phenomenal---that pic of him backstage doing a vacuum. Had Edgar turned Pro he may have done damage or ended up like Garrett Downing and Patrick Lynn.

Well I'm hoping you are using the term "thick skinned" tongue in cheek as all people have the same skin thickness. Like I said, Edgar got beat because his conditioning was not up to par on that particular day compared to the guy who beat him. Edgar had the ability to get as ripped as anyone else. To say he was not able to get peeled because he had "thick skin" is nonsense.

Simple Simon

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2017, 01:17:53 AM »
No Matt I really mean it, no one cares other than you. You got your feelings hurt because Jim Manion didn't give you the response you were hoping to get and now you call him names. He got back to you more than once and was polite. Get over it.

I wouldn't waste your time, I think he has something wrong with him mentally, he doesn't seem to be able to process basic information.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2017, 02:10:22 AM »
Bodybuilding has usually been run by questionable people. Ben was a life president and Manion is doing likewise. No one can rid of him.

Ditto Paul Graham in Australia. When people voted him out he contacted the IFBB and they merely changed the name and it was business as usual.

Even the Pro cards are bullshit. Just a clever system to control all the sheep bodybuilders.

I remember when Steve Weinberger was puzzled at the judging in 1983 when Bev Francis was placed 8th. He shook his head.

Now he is controlling the judging at the highest level. Now I shake my head. What a circus....what a mess.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2017, 03:12:46 AM »
Bodybuilding has usually been run by questionable people.

Now I shake my head. What a circus....what a mess.

Just like U ,Fijian Billy, Tom C., & other AU IFBB rejects "establishing" long time dead UBBA  ;D

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2017, 03:51:48 AM »

Just like U ,Fijian Billy, Tom C., & other AU IFBB rejects "establishing" long time dead UBBA  ;D

You really are a thick patsy. I never was a member of UBBA.