Author Topic: Shawn Ray - Is in The House!!!!  (Read 205727 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Shawn Ray - Is in The House!!!!
« Reply #775 on: October 14, 2017, 01:10:33 PM »
wrong

Bob had one of the most pleasing physiques ever (no homo myself), but his quads, chest & arms could be better.

Simple Simon

« Reply #776 on: October 14, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
Bob had one of the most pleasing physiques ever (no homo myself), but his quads, chest & arms could be better.

in comparison to what, he has perfect balance, bring his quads, chest and arms up???

Why, he would just be a bigger version of himself with imbalanced back and calves.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #777 on: October 14, 2017, 01:18:57 PM »
in comparison to what, he has perfect balance, bring his quads, chest and arms up???

Why, he would just be a bigger version of himself with imbalanced back and calves.

That's all subjective, but I can agree with you that Bob had one of the most aesthetic looking physiques, just like Milos Sarcev and Charles Clairmonte.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #778 on: October 14, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
Highly disagree. A prime Shawn is not in the same league as a prime Ronnie. This is not about who you would rather look. Its about who is better from a bodybuilding perspective. Ronnie just destroys Shawn.

From a bodybuilding perspective, a prime Ronnie beats Shawn if your judging criteria is based on size, mass and muscularity.
From a bodybuilding perspective, a prime Shawn beats Ronnie if your judging criteria is based on aesthetics, small waist, taper, proportions and muscularity.

Based on todays official judging criteria, Ronnie is the better bodybuilder.
Based on the average man in the streets personal judging criteria, 99.999999999999999999999 99999% of men on earth would choose the physique of a prime Shawn over a prime Ronnie.

Simple Simon

« Reply #779 on: October 14, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »
From a bodybuilding perspective, a prime Ronnie beats Shawn if your judging criteria is based on size, mass and muscularity.
From a bodybuilding perspective, a prime Shawn beats Ronnie if your judging criteria is based on aesthetics, small waist, taper, proportions and muscularity.

Based on the average man in the streets personal judging criteria, 99.999999999999999999999 99999% of men on earth would choose the physique of a prime Shawn over a prime Ronnie.

to be fair they would be repulsed by both.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #780 on: October 14, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »
Shawn,

I'd like some answers straight from the horses mouth and please be very honest and Thank you!
I can completely understand if you do not want to answer and plead the 5th like Lil Jon.
Lets get started!

I understand that you tried to be a genuine IFBB athletes rep many years ago making sure No Olympia athlete left without some prize money, getting health insurance and a voice heard for all top pro athletes ect...
Did you ever consider working for the NPC and or the IFBB to get them to give out Fitness related prizes as well like Golds gym memberships, exercise equipment, food and travel gift cards, airline tickets, 100lbs of protein, or whatever as long as it was fitness related prizes?

Why are all these nutritional companies so cheap with contracts and sponsorships in your opinion, do you consider yourself cheap?
Did you ever contact Tyson chicken or the starfish Tuna, Pasta companies or any other food related brand?

The organization can rake and take in all this money from competitors and only give out hand shakes, pats on the back, $10 medals and $20 trophies literally giving nothing back in terms of prizes, don't you think this is long over do in both the IFBB and NPC?

Did Sponsorship seem like looking for a needle in a haystack if you were an IFBB pro and were not signed by Weiders?

Did you ever contribute financially towards Donations, disaster relief or religious affiliates, if so which ones?

What did uncle Joe pay?
According Jean Pierre Fux he got over 10k a month, how bout Mr. Ray's Pay?

What is your real nickname Sugar? or Stingray??...according to Kevin or is it "El Chihuahua" according to Nasser-RIP-1997 MR.0
you mentioned you were not friends with Kevin backstage over a piece of orange, C'mon man...really?
u really would have Slipped from 3rd to 4th over a piece of orange?

Did you top 5 guys really think u could beat Doz if he had been a wheelchair athlete in 1997?
Torn bicep, torn tricep, torn Quad, boils with back acne, bloated distended stomach, awkward shoulders, over weight spilled over and just awful.
How many points should have been knocked off his perfect score points total round for round?

Speaking of Doz he never got any better after 1993 but you did and the judges had already seen yates at his best, 1994 yates was nothing special anymore but you were awarded 2nd. pound for pound you were the better bodybuilder, had you been 5'10 and 260lb your the winner.
What the fuck went thru your mind that night after the 1994 O when you lost but had won the show?
U also rolled your eyes in 1996 just after being announced 2nd, please elaborate on your mental thoughts when this happened?

Why were you always going after Lee Priest's sloppy seconds girlfriends like Laurie Donnelly?
Do you have a fetish for other bodybuilders ex's or just Andrew McCutcheon's aka LP?
U dirty dawg Chihuahua, Did you ever hit it with Adela Garcia?

Did you ever feel like you were a spiritual demon and not an angel of light when it comes to Personal Character, Integrity and Sportsmanship?

how long did you lease the red Lambo Diablo?

No more questions at this time Mr. Ray.

the time you took to write this, you'll never get back.....

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #781 on: October 14, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »
Little known fact, Shawn Ray was actually the rightful winner of the 2001 Mr. Olympia contest!

4th place Shawn = Should have been 1st because...
3rd place Kevin Levrone was late paying the fee for his IFBB pro card.  This should have been an immediate disqualification.
2nd place Jay Cutler failed the diuretics test, but brought his lawyers in to state that the testing facility was not IOC-approved.
1st place Ronnie Coleman, ripped off his posing trunks to reveal a pair of USA flag posing trunks during his finals routine.  However, in the IFBB rule book at the time, posing trunks were required to be solely one colour.  ;D

Thus the real winner of the 2001 Mr. Olympia contest was Getbig's own SHAWN RAY!  8)

;D ;D ;D

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #782 on: October 14, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »
Little known fact, Shawn Ray was actually the rightful winner of the 2001 Mr. Olympia contest!

3rd place Kevin Levrone was late paying the fee for his NPC pro card.  This should have been an immediate disqualification.
2nd place Jay Cutler failed the diuretics test, but brought his lawyers in to state that the testing facility was not IOC-approved.
1st place Ronnie Coleman, ripped off his posing trunks to reveal a pair of USA flag posing trunks during his finals routine.  However, in the IFBB rule book at the time, posing trunks were required to be solely one colour.  ;D

Thus the real winner of the 2001 Mr. Olympia contest was Getbig's own SHAWN RAY!  8)

;D ;D ;D
shut the fuck up matt-no wants to hear your humor and no one cares what you have to say
w

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #783 on: October 14, 2017, 06:39:46 PM »
shut the fuck up matt-no wants to hear your humor and no one cares what you have to say

X2 He's just as lame as Howard

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #784 on: October 14, 2017, 06:45:50 PM »

Nah, that's interesting, if true.

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #785 on: October 14, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »

3rd place Kevin Levrone was late paying the fee for his NPC pro card.  This should have been an immediate disqualification.
1st place Ronnie Coleman, ripped off his posing trunks to reveal a pair of USA flag posing trunks during his finals routine.  However, in the IFBB rule book at the time, posing trunks were required to be solely one colour.  ;D

Thus the real winner of the 2001 Mr. Olympia contest was Getbig's own SHAWN RAY!  8)

;D ;D ;D

On behalf of the Peanut Gallery, I accept this award.😜

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #786 on: October 14, 2017, 07:22:53 PM »

X2 He's just as lame as Howard

It is hard to be funny, but...

Nah, that's interesting, if true.

Exactly!  But it's a fact.  I would have to dig up an archived copy of the IFBB rule book from 2001, but I'm pretty sure posing trunks are supposed to be one solid colour.  Not like that would have disqualified Ronnie, but technically, if Shawn hired lawyers, the way that Jay did, who knows?

The fact of the matter was, Kevin was late in paying his IFBB pro card fee, something that Shawn pointed out himself in his review of the 2001 Mr. Olympia contest:

3rd~Levrone~ The fact that Kevin was even allowed to compete stunned the rest of the athletes. Kevin had not paid for his IFBB Pro card which was due in Dec 2000. Kevin had not even signed the Olympia Contract to compete due in July! The IFBB ruled as late as Sunday, October 20th, that Kevin would not be allowed to compete for these reasons. Apparently Kevin was to hold a 'NO Holds Barred' Press Conference at the Mr. O and suddenly Weider allowed Kevin entrance into the show which the IFBB said they would impose the largest fine ever in this sport of $25,000.00! Kevin would compete, slight off his best of last year. Legs were considerably down, abs still good, back not thick but detailed, calves non-existent. Posing routine entertaining and a crowd favorite.

Oddly enough, when I do a search for this, Shawn's review shows up on my website, but I don't see the link on the Getbig main page, just a link to this thread, where someone copies and pastes it just before the midway mark on page one of this thread:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=379272.0

EDIT: Here is the original link/primary source for the above review by Shawn - Shawn's analysis is really good, and I encourage any interested parties to read what he has to say about the 2001 Mr. Olympia:

http://www.getbig.com/pics/olympia/2001/olympiareport04.htm

Either way, I may be joking about Shawn winning the coveted "O" in 2001, but the fact is, Kev probably shouldn't have been allowed to compete.  We all know that Jay tested positive for banned diuretics, and it was for the same diuretic - LASIX - that cost Nasser El Sonbaty his 3rd place finish at the 1996 Mr. Olympia contest where he received a standing ovation.

I admit, I am not the funniest guy, but my post was actually mostly factual - in a fair world, Shawn should have been 2nd at the 2001 Mr. Olympia because Kevin was late paying his IFBB pro card fee and signing the Mr. Olympia contract, and Jay failed the diuretics test.  Obviously, the bit about Ronnie being disqualified on a technicality is a little lame, but ultimately, it isn't a stretch to say that Shawn should have been 2nd.  And ultimately, it's not like Shawn never got 2nd before - memories of 1994 and 1996 come to mind.  So ultimately, Shawn's retirement contest should have been a 2nd place finish.  You could even argue for a W for that matter, with Ronnie out due to the posing trunks technicality, but that's stretching it a little.

On behalf of the Peanut Gallery, I accept this award.😜

Great, so it's settled.  ;D

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #787 on: October 14, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
Highly disagree. A prime Shawn is not in the same league as a prime Ronnie. This is not about who you would rather look. Its about who is better from a bodybuilding perspective. Ronnie just destroys Shawn.

Yes, from a pure competition bodybuilding perspective, a prime Ronnie, pre gut, destroys just about anybody. But Shawn, from a purely aesthetics, balance and completeness perspective, destroys just about anybody.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #788 on: October 14, 2017, 08:19:42 PM »

But, see, that's the thing. When Ronnie was in his prime, he had size, mass, and muscularity, plus the aesthetics, small waist, and proportions. A prime Ronnie had it ALL!! Later on in his career, he got way too big. But, as I stated, a prime Ronnie was almost perfection in every area, especially at the 1998 and 1999 Mr. Olympia.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #789 on: October 14, 2017, 08:21:30 PM »
Yes, from a pure competition bodybuilding perspective, a prime Ronnie, pre gut, destroys just about anybody. But Shawn, from a purely aesthetics, balance and completeness perspective, destroys just about anybody.

I sort of agree, but as I stated above, a prime Ronnie even had damn good aesthetics, balance and proportion, especially for someone his size.
X

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #790 on: October 14, 2017, 09:13:43 PM »
a prime Ronnie was almost perfection in every area,

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
X

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #792 on: October 14, 2017, 11:24:01 PM »

this right here is your aesthetics winner brother

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #793 on: October 15, 2017, 12:15:48 AM »
this right here is your aesthetics winner brother

dont get me wrong benfatto had an awesome physique,but his look back then was way too fag gy
"

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #794 on: October 15, 2017, 12:28:31 AM »
dont get me wrong benfatto had an awesome physique,but his look back then was way too fag gy

who's better? Bob weatherhill  ;D

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #795 on: October 15, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
who's better? Bob weatherhill  ;D

actually I feel that the physique that bob turned pro with in the nineties had the potential to go to the top and/or was very marketable, he had shape as well as mass, not Bob Paris but alot of similarities. But by the mid nineties what the judges started rewarding was a very different look.

Proof of that is Shawn Ray nor Flex did not win an Olympia during that time  from the mass monsters despite being mass with class, better posers, more consistent in being in shape, no torn fucked up muscles.

By that time the freak era started and anyone coming up who had mass with class like Bob but like him not big names at that time they got very over looked. The thing is if guys with mass with class like labrada, shawn, benfatto had of turned pro in the mid nineties they would have been placed just like bob because the judging criteria changed and only those who were still at the top got compared. They would have got lost in the shuffle, whether they think their positive drive and determination was there or not, they would have got fucked as well.

Look at any of the olympia competitions from the past 2 decades and you will always find a couple of people out of the top 10 or 15 who should have been placed higher but never got fairly compared or were overlooked. Not saying it is necessarily always a conspiracy, but I think it is easier to get lost in the shuffle when there are mutiple people up there.

also remember that the only avenue of getting known up even till early to mid 2000's was magazines only. The internet and specifically the bodybuilding boards did not explode until around 2003-04, before that it was small in comparision even with pictures/videos etc because alot of people had slow ass dial up. also supplement contracts were in the hey day for everyone, not just those who worked for weider or md.

People since then have been able to come on the scene and the smart ones could market the hell out of themselves on the net but I think now with the whole instagram/twitter era it is becoming watered down

I think what I am trying to say DJ is, that Bob could very well have been alot more competitive in the pros had he marketed or had someone markketing himself better, along with better exposure and putting yourself out there. Back in the nineties most of the Canucks who did well were wither freaks, in california or were just plain better at marketing themselves and their physique

You can never tell, look at top Nabba guy Jeff King, guy had a Mr Olympia physique, but outside pretty much older hardcore fans he was unknown compared to haney, etc
"

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #796 on: October 16, 2017, 05:46:59 AM »

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #797 on: October 16, 2017, 05:54:51 AM »
Thonging generates friendships for life:

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #798 on: October 16, 2017, 07:33:23 AM »

Met Bob twice the late '80's and early '90's and he was a lot bigger than you would have thought. His legs were huge!

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
  • 2014 Getbig Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #799 on: October 16, 2017, 07:58:30 AM »
Met Bob twice the late '80's and early '90's and he was a lot bigger than you would have thought. His legs were huge!
Did you own a pair of grass-stained shoes?