« on: September 29, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »
-----'

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
Re: Don Youngblood-Off season
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »
Another Chad casualty of Experimentation.
RIP big D.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 04:51:49 PM »
RIP big D.

How many dead people do you think he's responsible for?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
RIP big D.

Shawn you made a conscience decision not to go overboard with gear and stand clear of GH/Slin , I'm not sure why you're trying to blame The Chad when Don ultimately decided what he was willing & not willing to do.

dammitman

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »
I worked out at the Gold's here in Fort Smith AR back when I was just getting into lifting.  I was in awe when I would see Don there.  He looked like he was wearing shoulder pads all the time...one of the biggest guys I had seen at that point.  I moved to El Paso later for a few years and then found out he had passed away.  That Gold's is closed now and it's been changed to a few stores/businesses that always fail.  Actually that whole side of town seems to be dying out.
Everyone is fair game.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 07:18:19 PM »

The unkown who came out of nowhere and smoked Vince Taylor for the title of Mr Olympia

Dude was purple at expos...looked horrible, sweating, breathing heavy...went too far for his age
A

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 07:21:12 PM »
I worked out at the Gold's here in Fort Smith AR back when I was just getting into lifting.  I was in awe when I would see Don there.  He looked like he was wearing shoulder pads all the time...one of the biggest guys I had seen at that point.  I moved to El Paso later for a few years and then found out he had passed away.  That Gold's is closed now and it's been changed to a few stores/businesses that always fail.  Actually that whole side of town seems to be dying out.

I knew this post sounded familiar!  Then I found this one:

I actually got to see this guy train day in and day out.  I worked out at the Gold's Gym on Phoenix Ave here in Ft Smith and would see him in the mornings.  Unreal size; looked like he was wearing shoulder pads.  I didn't know at the time that he was a pro competitor at first until I started seeing pics of him posted up on the gym walls.  Drove a corvette and sometimes a big Hummer.  Owned a transport company in Alma.  Seemed like a pretty cool dude.  That gym is now shut down and turned into some crappy insurance company.  

;D ;D ;D

That's cool that you knew Don.  8)  Don was yet another bodybuilder in the 5'8 to 5'9 range who I admired since I can relate to that, and it just made me think you could be a top bodybuilder at that height.  Beyond simply being a top bodybuilder - it seems almost a requirement to be something like 5'8 to 5'11 to be Mr. Olympia.  :o

Don died way too young, and Chad even had an article in Muscular Development where he wrote about working with Don - who was clearly a very driven man [in both bodybuilding and in business], and made it clear that Don basically did whatever Chad asked him too, diet-wise.  Seemingly this was true of gear as well.  :-\

EDITED TO ADD: that article by Chad was actually written after Don had died.  I thought it a bit odd for Chad to address Don's death at all, since naturally people had a tendency to blame bodybuilding, and some segment of that population would blame Chad specifically, but he wrote the article, and it was published in MD magazine a few months after his death.  Chad made it clear that Don would be willing to follow through to the letter with anything related to diet...so I don't think it's much of a stretch to assume that applied to gear as well.  Consider that, as "Undercover Pro" said, Don probably took home in a week the $10K he won at the 2002 Master's - so I would be confident that Don spent the money necessary to get the best gear possible.  Sometimes rich people need something else to put their addictions in check.  Poor people just go broke.  Rich people need another way to figure out they are using too much.  Sadly in Don's case, it was found out due to his death.

BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT

• Getbig IV
  • Grimek
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 07:24:56 PM »
If I recall...Don took up extreme bodybuilding and steroid use after 40years old. Way too hard on the body to subject oneself to such abuse and extreme muscle growth bodyweight gains at that older age. The heart cant take it.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »
Shawn you made a conscience decision not to go overboard with gear and stand clear of GH/Slin , I'm not sure why you're trying to blame The Chad when Don ultimately decided what he was willing & not willing to do.
are you saying Shawn never used GH? Has Shawn ever said he never used GH?

RIP big D.

Yea, who needs personal responsibility?

sceagacros

• Getbig III
  • Happy holidays, have you considered suicide?
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 07:50:14 PM »
Shawn has said that he never used GH or slin. See the "Shawn Ray in the house" thread.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »
If I recall...Don took up extreme bodybuilding and steroid use after 40years old. Way too hard on the body to subject oneself to such abuse and extreme muscle growth bodyweight gains at that older age. The heart cant take it.

He was in his thirties  when he really dug in after building a successful business. He was a balls to the wall type guy who also loved to party.

He did what he wanted to do. He wouldn't blame Chad or anyone else for what happened.

cross-of-iron

• Getbig IV
  • TRIBALISMO BLANCO
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 08:56:10 PM »
Shawn has said that he never used GH or slin. See the "Shawn Ray in the house" thread.

Bullshit.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 09:08:42 PM »
He was in his thirties  when he really dug in after building a successful business. He was a balls to the wall type guy who also loved to party.

He did what he wanted to do. He wouldn't blame Chad or anyone else for what happened.

Agree on the personal responsibility.  Apparently Don wanted to die relatively young.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 11:11:04 PM »
Agree on the personal responsibility.  Apparently Don wanted to die relatively young.

Well...to want to make a comeback at the 2006 Night of Champions at what would have been 52, after previously undergoing angioplasty, being diabetic, and walking around beet red at 300-lb in the off-season...he was virtually assuring that.  :-\

kepler2008

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 11:58:37 PM »
He had a very stressful job too.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2017, 01:34:48 AM »
RIP big D.
If Don had the capacity to manage his own business, he sure had the capacity to know what he was doing bb wise. He chose that path, not Chad.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 01:58:32 AM »

Unfortunately For Don his couldn't take it.
That rule doesn't apply to all.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 03:06:02 AM »
Art Atwood had a heart attack and fell into the pool

Think he worked with chad too, not 100 percent sure

Sad cause he was young, late 30’s , real nice guy, I trained with him a dozen times

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 03:38:52 AM »

The unkown who came out of nowhere and smoked Vince Taylor for the title of Mr Olympia

New Nether Animal gimmick? Giving up on the "guest" option?

Shizzo

• Getbig IV
  • 2014 Getbig Hall of Fame Inductee
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 04:08:36 AM »
If Don had the capacity to manage his own business, he sure had the capacity to know what he was doing bb wise. He chose that path, not Chad.
You sure speak good English for a Portuguese man.  ???

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 04:44:02 AM »
 8)

doggler

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 05:03:17 AM »
8)

Earrings and makeup. Schmoes got this bitch.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 08:39:50 AM »
Art Atwood had a heart attack and fell into the pool

Think he worked with chad too, not 100 percent sure

Sad cause he was young, late 30’s , real nice guy, I trained with him a dozen times

Yep - Atwood worked with Chad, at least in 2002, as Atwood stated in the Battle for the Olympia 2002 DVD - the part where he is in the hotel.

As for Markus Ruhl, I do not expect that he will be around for much longer.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 08:46:28 AM »
He had a very stressful job too.

Primemuscle's short bus plus driver.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2017, 09:33:11 AM »
I believe he was in his 30s. Like Vince Taylor who didn't take up bodybuilding until his late 20s.