Author Topic: This is what a Mr. Olympia should look like....  (Read 9419 times)

SomeKindofMonster

• Getbig III
  • RC is SomeKindOfMonster
Re: This is what a Mr. Olympia should look like....
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
Bodybuilding is not broken. Heath is Mr O. Ramy is on his heels. They created a whole new contest for men who crave old fashioned aesthetic physiques: Classic Physique. Look into it. And stop direspecting the big boys.

I'll respectfully disagree with you. The distended guts are an issue that is
being dealt with. Another issue is the big saturated water filled muscles
that lack deep separation. It's not totally broken, but when they don't
take away points when someones gut is ruining a lot of their poses
something is wrong. It needs to be tweaked but it's not completely broken.
I wasn't implying a 2012 Cedric should win; I said & agree he'd be battling Dexter
for 4th.
During the posing round, Phil had dried out & brought the gut down some.
Besides his stomach, it is the best he's looked since 2013. I was very impressed
with his level of detail during his routine. He actually had some striations in
his delts which haven't showed in a long time.

Gotta agree with you that the Classic Physique was an awesome idea that
will keep on growing.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 04:00:38 AM »
Classic is an interesting idea to get rid of the guts. But damn take it away after this is accomplished. I like muscle...
MIRAGETROPIN

thatrandomguy#7

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 06:05:24 AM »
the problem with classic is a guy like Cedric is too big right (per the height and weight rules). A guy like Bob Paris in his prime would have been too big (not by much but still). And meanwhile, just because you meet the height and weight requirement, this does not mean you have a classic physique. plenty of blocky unbalanced dudes perpetrating.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2017, 06:12:11 AM »
Honestly, every time I see a picture of Heath.. I just do not get it.  I cannot believe that every single person is not talking about how completely out of proportion he is.  He just does not look good.  It's fucking bizarre and it really exposes how having big arms, big back and good conditioning can completely put the wool over the judges eyes because there is no way he has a better shape than most of the guys on stage.  He looks like a dragonball z character.  Not in a good way, either.

I'm not even talking about the gut, either -because that's not Phil's major problem.  His problem is that he just has this little chest and way too big arms and it just never looks right.  Are people blind - who on earth is looking at phil and thinking that is better than a guy like Cedric?

The olympia is a joke.  It has become a farcical measure of basically two things.  Conditioning and back.  It doesn't even matter if every year you look a little more golumesque..  just get those two right :/

Andro-Kids

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 06:16:42 AM »
I'll respectfully disagree with you. The distended guts are an issue that is
being dealt with. Another issue is the big saturated water filled muscles
that lack deep separation. It's not totally broken, but when they don't
take away points when someones gut is ruining a lot of their poses
something is wrong. It needs to be tweaked but it's not completely broken.
I wasn't implying a 2012 Cedric should win; I said & agree he'd be battling Dexter
for 4th.
During the posing round, Phil had dried out & brought the gut down some.
Besides his stomach, it is the best he's looked since 2013. I was very impressed
with his level of detail during his routine. He actually had some striations in
his delts which haven't showed in a long time.

Gotta agree with you that the Classic Physique was an awesome idea that
will keep on growing
I didn't say it was an awesome idea. I said it was created for men who crave a certain kind of physique. I'm not one of them.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
Honestly, every time I see a picture of Heath.. I just do not get it.  I cannot believe that every single person is not talking about how completely out of proportion he is.  He just does not look good.  It's fucking bizarre and it really exposes how having big arms, big back and good conditioning can completely put the wool over the judges eyes because there is no way he has a better shape than most of the guys on stage.  He looks like a dragonball z character.  Not in a good way, either.

I'm not even talking about the gut, either -because that's not Phil's major problem.  His problem is that he just has this little chest and way too big arms and it just never looks right.  Are people blind - who on earth is looking at phil and thinking that is better than a guy like Cedric?

The olympia is a joke.  It has become a farcical measure of basically two things.  Conditioning and back.  It doesn't even matter if every year you look a little more golumesque..  just get those two right :/

It was no different than Rich Gaspari placing highly during his era - in fact, I think that with today's judging standards, Gaspari may have beaten Lee Haney, who was considerably softer.  Phil's conditioning is out of this world, and his back is completely three-dimensional.  So yeah, it's conditioning and back, as you say.  Although to be fair, he has insane legs, insane shoulders, insane biceps...he just isn't wide enough, and that may be in some part due to having  big head.  He has one pose - the front double biceps - where he looks particularly bad.  In everything else, he is incredible, and why he wins is obvious.

But you are right - it comes down to his two main strengths of conditioning and back.  But I think he is a little better than you are making him out to be.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
If Cedric is "fat"....Then we should be pushing for a fatter look. LOL...fat. This is what bodybuilding has become. OMG!!!!

this says it all. one guy looks great..... the other guys looks like a jackass.... phil is a joke and BB judging criteria is a mess.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
Re: This should be what a Mr. Olympia should looks like
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 05:13:00 PM »
Down to Cedric??? You think that Cedric has a worse physique than Phil?

there's gaps in his physique

TTfit

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2017, 05:18:26 PM »
I actually agree with a part of the OP assessment. There is no need to be so damn dry IMO. Very unflattering and the first Mr. Olympias weren't nearly as lean as now.

However it IS bodybuilding....and if this category remains it may as well be as hardcore as possible since we do have categories for every other look.

That classic bodybuilding is more what I think the OP is referring to.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2017, 10:58:43 PM »
heath may have what it takez to win bb shows but judging these contests is very subjective. i dont really care how many times heath wins the olympia he just doesnt look all that great to me. if were judging muscle size and shape i think winKlar and ramy looks alot better. if its aesthetics then cedric and rhoden look alot better. phil has such a punchable face plus he acts like a spoiled brat. ill be happy when his time is up.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 05:32:54 AM »
We will always have discusions on judges descisons. After all this is their job and we have a subjective schport. They get it right most of the time. Cedric is NOT olympia calliber.
MIRAGETROPIN

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 06:42:53 AM »
Yes Cedric. This should be what a Mr. Olympia looks like. I remember an interview with Rory Leidelmeyer from the late 80's in which Rory stated that the best body on stage should be a balance of size, symmetry and leaness. And leaness being low bodyfat but not the need for dry, onion thin , dehydrated look. But lean,full and healthy. That SHOULD be the standard. Wish it was so. This man right here would be Mr. Olympia.
Agree, maybe Arnolds influence will change things in the near future.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2017, 07:12:42 AM »
Cedric has an amazing structure. But  His face looks like one of Howard Sterns characters

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2017, 07:20:42 AM »
Cedric has an amazing structure. But  His face looks like one of Howard Sterns characters

Haha yes he does....

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2017, 07:23:48 AM »
Beetlejuice Cedric off the sauce

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2017, 07:25:50 AM »
Beetlejuice Cedric off the sauce

Lmao.  Bingo !

drmarkp

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2017, 10:02:54 AM »
I'd be thrilled to have a physique as good as Cedric did in that picture. Unfortunately, currently Cedric is not what folks are looking for. These days cartoonish, spaghetti veined,  over-inflated superheros are competing on the Mr. Olympia stage. Shortly after their moment of fame, several of them croak because most humans can't handle insane dosages  of steroids, insulin and anabolic drugs, etc. "Only the good die young", which is why I prefer being bad.

Agreed, only the critics pine for the 'Cedric' physique; but the fans want freaks .. If this weren't so then men's physique Olympia would be getting paid $400K instead of the open

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »
Me preferably I would like to see physique and classic go. To me it's all bodybuilding. But maybe it's cool to get rid of the guts. I'm oldschool and love bodybuilding though.
MIRAGETROPIN

Evo

• Getbig IV
  • you racku disapwin!
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2017, 12:45:28 AM »
If Cedric showed up at the O like the pic in this collage....and didnt win....the so called sport is beyond repair. This is a true CLASSIC PHYSIQUE and still a massive bodybuilder with a tapered waist. Show me a guy better than him in these poses. And dont tell me Big Ramy.

QFT.

Cedric has the best structure of a generation...massive but still has his lines.

I remeber seeing him at an expo, slouched down over the booth, totally relxaed...the bloke just had muscle hanging off his frame...effortlessly big!

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2017, 06:21:22 AM »
Agreed, only the critics pine for the 'Cedric' physique; but the fans want freaks .. If this weren't so then men's physique Olympia would be getting paid $400K instead of the open
Cedric is over 275, he is just a freak with good lines. Somewhat like Paul Dillett.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
Re: This is Mr. Olympia....
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 03:18:58 AM »
Cedrics chance is more than likely come and gone, conditioning consistently has been his Achilles heal, when ever the photo below was taken...that type of condition @ the O may just push him
Into the top 3.

It's likely because he works with the goofiest prep coach.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »
the 212 guys look better than the open dudes

Trev

• Getbig IV
  • Bodybuilding The Old School Way - Train, Eat, Rest
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:26 AM »
Agree, maybe Arnolds influence will change things in the near future.

Don't believe Arnold is interested or he would insist on the right judging criteria for HIS shows