Author Topic: Is There Any Point to Being Old?  (Read 16688 times)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Is There Any Point to Being Old?
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
Not sure I get the eye roll but ok.

But explain to me what I can't do now in my 40s that I could do when I was 20?

In the past year I've deadlifted 400, rucked 27 miles with 47 pounds with zero pain the next day, can run a sub 40 min 5 miler in my sleep, do 50-60 push ups, hit a drive 300 yards on occasion, etc.....

I probably could bench more at age 20 so I guess I should feel bad about that......

The eye roll really wasn't so much directed solely at you. There's nothing wrong at all taking a positive outlook to getting older. I just think some people are in denial. How many ads do you see of these old fucks pretending that they can still get young chicks just because they have abs? As if younger girls even give a shit about your abs. Look at a lot of the retired pros. I mean the ones who are still alive. They can barley walk their bodies are so torn up. Even you average person no matter how good they feel at 60 has their share of problems. If I could have a billion dollars or be 20 again I'd pick 20 because as of today no amount of money can turn back time.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 12:21:09 PM »
Overrated.

Sure but not when you were in school and your bench press or abs won't get you in today.  ;D

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
The eye roll really wasn't so much directed solely at you. There's nothing wrong at all taking a positive outlook to getting older. I just think some people are in denial. How many ads do you see of these old fucks pretending that they can still get young chicks just because they have abs? As if younger girls even give a shit about your abs. Look at a lot of the retired pros. I mean the ones who are still alive. They can barley walk their bodies are so torn up. Even you average person no matter how good they feel at 60 has their share of problems. If I could have a billion dollars or be 20 again I'd pick 20 because as of today no amount of money can turn back time.

Is that being 20 knowing what you know now, or going back to 20 and being as dumb and self-absorbed as I was back then?  If it's option B), I'll take the billion dollars, thank you.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 12:23:05 PM »
define "old." (with a #)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 12:25:44 PM »
I've been around the lifting for many decades. I have seen the same pattern. Guys start juicing in their 20's. Soon their whole life revolves around drug cycles.  They are mini celebrities with their muscles everywhere they go.  While every one around their age is learning a trade and pursuing a career they are revolving their life around doing enough menial jobs to afford their syringes, vials and pills.  After a couple of decades of using and meaningless jobs they quit due to health, finances, criminal arrest or depression.  Soon they look like they never did a push up in their life. They walk around with a crumbled up picture in their wallet to show everyone their glory days while they can't hide how out of shape they are in baggy clothes.

You ask if there is a point to being old. Living well is the best point. Living in a really nice house with visiting loving adult kids and seeing their kids growing up is one of the best gifts in life to live for. Now being retired within reason gives you the freedom to enjoy the fruits of your labor.  Sitting at home listening to all the cars rev up going to work in the morning while you're in bed is a great feeling.  Heading to the gym in the  AM is another gift. Eventually we all die. It's a blessing if you have your health right up to the end but for many we die sick and weak.  No exceptions. It would be nice at that time that you could look back at a life well lived.  Then again we have other viewpoints. Live huge. Die Huge. Make your poll bearers sweat carrying your coffin.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 12:25:54 PM »
Is that being 20 knowing what you know now, or going back to 20 and being as dumb and self-absorbed as I was back then?  If it's option B), I'll take the billion dollars, thank you.

I wasn't dumb or self absorbed.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
I've been around the lifting for many decades. I have seen the same pattern. Guys start juicing in their 20's. Soon their whole life revolves around drug cycles.  They are mini celebrities with their muscles everywhere they go.  While every one around their age is learning a trade and pursuing a career they are revolving their life around doing enough menial jobs to afford their syringes, vials and pills.  After a couple of decades of using and meaningless jobs they quit due to health, finances, criminal arrest or depression.  Soon they look like they never did a push up in their life. They walk around with a crumbled up picture in their wallet to show everyone their glory days while they can't hide how out of shape they are in baggy clothes.

You ask if there is a point to being old. Living well is the best point. Living in a really nice house with visiting loving adult kids and seeing their kids growing up is one of the best gifts in life to live for. Now being retired within reason gives you the freedom to enjoy the fruits of your labor.  Sitting at home listening to all the cars rev up going to work in the morning while you're in bed is a great feeling.  Heading to the gym in the  AM is another gift. Eventually we all die. It's a blessing if you have your health right up to the end but for many we die sick and weak.  No exceptions. It would be nice at that time that you could look back at a life well lived.  Then again we have other viewpoints. Live huge. Die Huge. Make your poll bearers sweat carrying your coffin.

Damn I need to try the pic in wallet trick.  ;D  Agreed though, whether we accept it or not it's inevitable so I personally appreciate everyday I'm here.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »

I hear you, but I think I actually view it from a different lens.  I  don't see it as a widespread thing like you're talking about, in fact, the opposite.  Too many people blame the way they feel on age when they could improve their overall well being by not being lazy with eating, training, exercise, etc....

I can't use retired pros and such as a baseline for anything because they're a niche group that don't really represent regular people.  I don't see the ads because I don't read that stuff.

As for the last sentence, my initial though was to absolutely agree.  But now that  I think about it, it's not a slam dunk, because with the billion I could set up my family for generations, and help a ton of people I know.   Maybe if you said 20 million or something.....
Y

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »
I hear you, but I think I actually view it from a different lens.  I  don't see it as a widespread thing like you're talking about, in fact, the opposite.  Too many people blame the way they feel on age when they could improve their overall well being by not being lazy with eating, training, exercise, etc....

I can't use retired pros and such as a baseline for anything because they're a niche group that don't really represent regular people.  I don't see the ads because I don't read that stuff.

As for the last sentence, my initial though was to absolutely agree.  But now that  I think about it, it's not a slam dunk, because with the billion I could set up my family for generations, and help a ton of people I know.   Maybe if you said 20 million or something.....

Oh I agree about taking care of oneself. I have little tolerance for people who eat like shit and then as me how they can feel better. I see so many of my friends who are in horrible health because of how they eat but hey they live in a nice big fancy home and drive a 50K car. The best gift you can give anyone is the knowledge of how to stay as healthy as possible while you age. The sad part is even if you show them, will they act upon it? In my experience almost never.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 12:41:45 PM »
So once you retire you're basically useless to humanity.

No on wants to fuck you

If you have money, people are just waiting for you to die so they can enjoy inheritance

What do old people exist for beyond 60 apart from just fucking around in dollar shops, pruning flowers in their garden and waiting for their grand kids to pop over once a month

Look at Vince B, at 76 he does nothing but take creepy pictures of Brazilian students, no one wants to fuck him or even talk to him, not even board members want to engage with him via a faceless contactless internet forum. He creeps everyone around him, has zero productivity in this world cos he's old. He is merely a reminder of a person that once existed in the 70s that won shows and hung out with Arnold.

So to me life is about living, and this society the way it works is only adequate for someone healthy, young and strong, if you don't fit this criteria you are pushed to the sidelines to merely exist.

Spoken like an immature person who knows nothing about being 60+ years old.

Plenty of reasons (good food, wine, exercise, hobbies) but folks in their 70's shouldn't be arguing with Getbiggers on a muscle board.
If you can stay in shape, stay on TRT, have fun, more power to you.

You made some positive remarks here and a negative one. At 73 years of age, I'll do as I please with my time. I've earned the right to engage in nonsense, like conversing or arguing with Getbiggers. Not sure it is accurate to call Getbig a muscle board though. Many of the posts here have little or nothing to do with muscle building.

Simple Simon

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »
Not sure it is accurate to call Getbig a muscle board though. Many of the posts people here have little or nothing to do with muscle building.

fixed

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 12:45:04 PM »
Oh I agree about taking care of oneself. I have little tolerance for people who eat like shit and then as me how they can feel better. I see so many of my friends who are in horrible health because of how they eat but hey they live in a nice big fancy home and drive a 50K car. The best gift you can give anyone is the knowledge of how to stay as healthy as possible while you age. The sad part is even if you show them, will they act upon it? In my experience almost never.

You are correct.

It's because the only thing that can motivate to do this shit day in and day out is the person themselves.

It's the reason I still do all these events.  If I have a goruck or spartan, it the difference between me getting in the training at 8 pm and grabbing a bourbon.  Need that thing to push me.
Y

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »
Spoken like an immature person who knows nothing about being 60+ years old.

You made some positive remarks here and a negative one. At 73 years of age, I'll do as I please with my time. I've earned the right to engage in nonsense, like conversing or arguing with Getbiggers. Not sure it is accurate to call Getbig a muscle board though. Many of the posts here have little or nothing to do with muscle building.

That's more like it.  ;D

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »
40 is the old 30
50 is the old 40 - bang milfs
60 is the old 50 - bang milfs
70 is the old 60 - bang gilfs

no reason to not be not blowing loads into hot GILFS at age 70
K

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2017, 12:48:08 PM »
You are correct.

It's because the only thing that can motivate to do this shit day in and day out is the person themselves.

It's the reason I still do all these events.  If I have a goruck or spartan, it the difference between me getting in the training at 8 pm and grabbing a bourbon.  Need that thing to push me.

As far as the money thing. I too would wonder if taking it would be a good thing for your family and the generations ahead, but it could also be a curse. I say fuckem and take the turning back of time.  ;D

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2017, 12:50:13 PM »
I agree that old people are essentially useless and it's right that we despise them.

However, as a man if you make smart decisions in your life and end up with a lot of money, you can leverage that so that attractive women will still fuck you in your old age.

With women it's a little different.  Old women should just kill themselves.   ;D

Simple Simon

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2017, 12:51:45 PM »
As far as the money thing. I too would wonder if taking it would be a good thing for your family and the generations ahead, but it could also be a curse. I say fuckem and take the turning back of time.  ;D

think about it, all the people you know now will be lost to you and you will wake up in a world age 20 not knowing a fucking soul....

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2017, 12:54:37 PM »
think about it, all the people you know now will be lost to you and you will wake up in a world age 20 not knowing a fucking soul....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I had a smile on my face even before I got done reading that. It would be so great to be 20 again.  ;)   Hey I make friends quick and just think I can come back here and start posting as Disgusted Jr.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »
I think the real dream would be to go back to being high school age like 15 or so, but still knowing everything you know as an adult.

That kind of power would seriously corrupt a person.  So much win.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »
As far as the money thing. I too would wonder if taking it would be a good thing for your family and the generations ahead, but it could also be a curse. I say fuckem and take the turning back of time.  ;D

You're a fucker because now I'm putting thought into this.   ;D

Instantly being 20 again, but retaining my knowledge to date, I could make a decent chunk of $$ by the time I got back to my age.

Plus having that training knowledge would help too.   Instead of lifting heavy every single fucking time at that age, I'd play the long game.....
Y

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2017, 01:00:10 PM »

You are right about having a positive attitude, regardless of one's age. If I could buy back time and be 20 again, I might do it. I fucked up a lot when I was younger. Although eventually my life turned out well. It would be interesting to see if we were given a second chance at youth we'd do things differently.

My back went out yesterday when I was getting in the car - turned the wrong way or something. It's the shits 'cause I was going to work quads. If it spasmed while doing squats, that could be disastrous.

I never aspired to be a pro, which is probably a good thing because I can walk just fine and nothing is torn up. I'll leave the "young chicks" for the young guys. Even most older women don't give a fuck about a fellow's abs. But, a lot of guys, regardless of their age, think women do.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »

If you knew what you know now, you really wouldn't be twenty years old. You'd be an old guy in a younger body. I guess that wouldn't be too bad.  ;D

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2017, 01:05:28 PM »
You're a fucker because now I'm putting thought into this.   ;D

Instantly being 20 again, but retaining my knowledge to date, I could make a decent chunk of $$ by the time I got back to my age.

Plus having that training knowledge would help too.   Instead of lifting heavy every single fucking time at that age, I'd play the long game.....

Hey glad I could help.  ;D  On a side note I stopped being stupid in the gym at around 32. I can still go in and do anything as long as I pretend to be Serge Nubret.  As far as knowledge the "smarter" I get I realize how dumb I really am.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »
define "old." (with a #)

That's the thing, old isn't defined by a number; it is defined by your state of mind and how you feel physically. Some young people are already old. Some old people remain young.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2017, 01:13:11 PM »
That's the thing, old isn't defined by a number; it is defined by your state of mind and how you feel physically. Some young people are already old. Some old people remain young.

Yeah man it kinda is. You can pretend all you want at 70 that you are 40 but you're not. State of mind means fuck all really. I've seen so many fucking people I know die of cancer. All but one had a positive out look. They all decided to "fight" cancer and they all lost. My Aunt was one of the meanest and bitter people I knew and she lived to be 93. She drank a 6 pack of Coke daily was slightly over weight had all her teeth when she died and cut her own grass till she was in her mid 70's. Never exercised a day in her life but she wasn't lazy either.